Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Photos of Neptune
Sep 21, 2022 1:28 PM CDT
NASA Releases Staggering Photos of Neptune
Our most distant planet's rings are crisp
- If you picture Neptune as a blue ring-less planet, new images released Wednesday from NASA's James Webb Space Telescope are about to set you straight. The images show what CNN refers to as the planet's "crisp, narrow rings." As Heidi Hammel of the Webb project says,...
'Pretty Good Story' May
Explain Saturn's Rings
in case you missed it
Sep 18, 2022 3:55 PM CDT
'Pretty Good Story' May Explain Saturn's Rings
Scientists think one of its moons may have exploded eons ago
- Saturn's rings are made from the guts of a vanished moon that got a bit too close to the planet. That's the conclusion of a new study that claims not only to explain the formation of the rings but also the significant tilt at which the solar system'...
Scientists Baffled by
Neptune's Temperature Swings
Apr 12, 2022 10:55 AM CDT
Scientists Baffled by Neptune's Temperature Swings
Temps should be 'slowly growing warmer, not colder' amid southern summer
- Neptune's southern hemisphere has spent the last 17 years in its summer season, yet global temperatures have plummeted. It's a head-scratching finding that leaves astronomers with more questions than answers. "Since we have been observing Neptune during its early southern summer, we would expect temperatures to be...
Planet 9 Might Not Be a Planet
Sep 28, 2019 11:30 AM CDT
Planet 9 Might Not Be a Planet
Two young PhDs offer a bold new theory
- "What if Planet 9 is a Primordial Black Hole?" That's the title of a new paper about the mysterious gravity source at the edge of our solar system, Business Insider reports. Posted Tuesday on arXiv , the paper suggests that the still-unseen source—which some call Planet Nine, or...
Hunch Leads Astronomer
to New Neptune Moon
Jul 16, 2013 2:18 AM CDT
Hunch Leads Astronomer to New Neptune Moon
Planet's 14th moon is just 12 miles across
- An astronomer poring over old images from the Hubble Space Telescope has discovered a previously unknown 14th moon of Neptune. SETI Institute researcher Mark Showalter—who has five other moon discoveries to his name—followed a hunch while studying ring segments around the planet and tracked a white dot to...
Sep 26, 2011 6:09 PM CDT
Solar System Kicked Out Extra Planet
Early ejection may have helped Earth survive
- Thank your lucky stars that our solar system was only big enough for eight planets. Apparently a ninth one—and a gas giant, no less—was nudged out billions of years ago and made room for Earth to survive. In computer simulations of our solar system's evolution, Colorado scientist...
'Ocean of Diamond'
May Shimmer on
Jan 22, 2010 8:13 AM CST
'Ocean of Diamond' May Shimmer on Neptune, Uranus
Molten diamond experiment suggests that liquid space bling abounds
- Vast oceans of liquid diamond with icebergs of solid diamond floating on the surface may exist on Uranus and Neptune. Scientists melting diamonds—which requires incredibly high pressure as well as temperatures—were surprised to discover that it behaves much like water in its molten state and believe that could...
May 14, 2008 6:05 AM CDT
Oldest Caesar Bust Found in France
Treasure at bottom of river in Arles
- The oldest bust of Julius Caesar ever found is among an ancient treasure trove discovered at the bottom of the Rhone river near the southern French town of Arles, which was founded by Caesar in 46 BC. The life-size marble bust depicts Caesar as a balding man with wrinkles, reports...
Popular on Newser
After Serving 8 Years, Infomercial Pitchman Could Be Jailed Again
A Sleeping Giant Awakes, With Plenty of Spectators
Protesters Cheered Iran's World Cup Exit. Then Bullets Rained
On First Day in US, a Surprise Event for William and Kate
After Broadcaster Mocks Him, NHL Player Has Classy Response
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.