Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
AP Sees a 'Political Shift'
That Should Scare Democrats
Jun 27, 2022 7:39 AM CDT
AP Sees a 'Political Shift' That Should Scare Democrats
In suburbs, people are switching parties to join the GOP
- A political shift is beginning to take hold across the US as tens of thousands of suburban swing voters who helped fuel the Democratic Party's gains in recent years are becoming Republicans. More than 1 million voters across 43 states have switched to the Republican Party over the last...
What Progressive DA's
Recall Means for Democrats
Jun 8, 2022 12:33 PM CDT
What Progressive DA's Recall Means for Democrats
Chesa Boudin's loss seen by some as a 'wake-up call' about policies on crime
- Though the San Francisco district attorney recalled by voters on Tuesday admitted past mistakes, without identifying what they were, he mainly pointed the finger elsewhere. "The right-wing billionaires outspent us three to one, they exploited an environment in which people are appropriately upset, and they created an electoral dynamic...
One Big Question:
Will SCOTUS Leak
Rewrite the Midterms?
May 4, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
One Big Question: Will SCOTUS Leak Rewrite the Midterms?
Some say draft leak could work in Dems' favor; others aren't so sure
- A leaked draft opinion from the Supreme Court indicating its conservative majority will rule to overturn Roe v. Wade has people buzzing not only about the myriad health, logistical, and financial repercussions that could result, but also the political ones. FiveThirtyEight.com asks one big question in particular: "What...
to Dems After
San Fran Vote
Feb 22, 2022 9:30 AM CST
Bloomberg Issues 'Dire Warning' to Dems After San Fran Vote
Ex-NYC mayor says midterms will be a 'wipeout' for Democrats unless they shift to more moderate path
- Three liberal members of San Francisco's city school board were booted last week, and while some say not to read too much into one local vote, others are concerned that the special election could be a "bellwether" of sorts for nationwide politics. In that latter camp is Michael...
Results in San Francisco
Seen as a 'Bellwether'
Feb 17, 2022 1:28 PM CST
Results in San Francisco Seen as a 'Bellwether'
Ouster of 3 liberal school board members viewed as part of a national trend
- The recall of three liberal members of the city school board in San Francisco continues to reverberate, and a common theme in analyses is that the vote might be seen as a warning for Democrats nationwide. The shorthand view: Voters, even entrenched Democrats, are pushing back against policies they see...
Senate Candidate Smokes Pot,
Burns Confederate Flag in Ads
Feb 10, 2022 6:12 PM CST
Senate Candidate Smokes Pot, Burns Confederate Flag in Ads
Louisiana's Gary Chambers Jr. is making waves despite limited budget
- A Louisiana candidate for the US Senate is making waves with his ads, which show him smoking marijuana and burning the Confederate flag. Baton Rouge community activist Gary Chambers Jr.—who had a viral moment in 2020 when he called out a school board member for online shopping during...
for Vote on
Jan 22, 2022 3:40 PM CST
Arizona Party Punishes Sinema for Vote on Filibuster
Chairwoman says voting rights are more important than Senate rules
- Three years after becoming a hero to Arizona Democrats for winning a US Senate seat long held by Republicans, Sen. Krysten Sinema was formally censured Saturday by the state party for her part in blocking voting rights legislation. The Arizona Democratic Party's executive committee cited Sinema's vote against...
Giant Swing in Polls Doesn't
Bode Well for Democrats
Jan 18, 2022 12:28 PM CST
Giant Swing in Polls Doesn't Bode Well for Democrats
Gallup puts GOP up 5 points in US support, a shift from trailing by 9
- The midterm elections could spell disaster for President Biden and the Democrats, if recent polling is any indication. A new Gallup poll shows an average of 47% of Americans surveyed in the fourth quarter of 2021 identified with or leaned toward the Republican Party compared to 42% for the Democratic...
Rep. Jackie Speier Done Being
a 'Weekend Wife, Mother'
Nov 16, 2021 12:02 PM CST
Rep. Jackie Speier Done Being a 'Weekend Wife, Mother'
Longtime California representative announces her retirement
- Longtime California Rep. Jackie Speier said Tuesday that she will not seek reelection, becoming the latest Democrat to announce their retirement from Congress ahead of a fraught 2022 midterm election cycle. The seven-term congresswoman from the San Francisco Bay Area said in a video message that it was an "...
Accepts His Fate
Nov 10, 2021 4:30 PM CST
New Jersey Senate Leader Accepts His Fate
Truck driver unseats legislative fixture Stephen Sweeney without party's help
"All votes have been fairly counted, and I, of course, accept the results." So conceded longtime New Jersey State Senate President Stephen Sweeney on Wednesday in officially accepting his defeat by a truck driver with no political experience. He described his loss by around 2,000 votes...
a Problem: The Suburbs
Nov 8, 2021 11:30 AM CST
Democrats Have a Problem: The Suburbs
'Electoral whiplash' of last week puts control of House in jeopardy
- The post-mortems from last week's election continue to arrive, and they still point to big trouble for Democrats. Fresh evidence comes in a new poll showing President Biden's approval ratings tanking below 40% . The same survey, from
and Suffolk University, found that respondents would vote for...
Not Keen on
Oct 27, 2021 8:42 AM CDT
Guess Who's Not Keen on Dems' Billionaire Tax Plan?
Tesla/SpaceX CEO Elon Musk could see $5B in taxes over 5 years if the plan were put in place
- Under a new proposal unveiled by Democrats this week, America's richest of the rich would soon be helping to pay for President Biden's domestic agenda by paying taxes on unrealized gains on assets like stocks in their portfolio, whether or not they sell them. It was expected there'...
Says What a Lot
Oct 26, 2021 11:50 AM CDT
Joe Manchin Says What a Lot of Democrats Are Thinking
'I don't know where in the hell I belong'
- Joe Manchin might as well have "Democratic holdout" made part of his official title, and the West Virginia senator acknowledged his outlier status in two different forums:
"I'm totally out of sync with 48 other Democrats," Manchin told reporters at a dinner Monday night, per the
2 Republicans Make Unusual
Request: Vote Democratic
Oct 12, 2021 10:20 AM CDT
2 Republicans Make Unusual Request: Vote Democratic
Anti-Trump moderates say it's necessary for the good of the country
- Not unusual: The
New York Times
is running an opinion piece urging people to vote Democratic in the upcoming midterms. The weird part: The piece is authored by two Republicans. Specifically, it's Christine Todd Whitman, the former governor of New Jersey who ran the EPA under George W. Bush,...
Biden Will Try to Break
Oct 1, 2021 8:00 AM CDT
Biden Will Try to Break Logjam Himself
And Bernie Sanders is ticked at two fellow Democratic senators who remain holdouts
- The shutdown has been averted , at least temporarily. Now the focus is solely on whether Democrats can reach a compromise on legislation crucial to President Biden's agenda. Toward that end, Biden himself will travel to Capitol Hill to meet with House Democrats later Friday afternoon, reports the Hill and...
Return to Give
Texas a Quorum
Aug 19, 2021 7:25 PM CDT
Enough Democrats Return to Give Texas a Quorum
Voting restrictions legislation now is back in play in state House
- For the first time since July, the Texas House had a quorum on Thursday, after a few Democrats returned from their stay in Washington. Democratic members had left the state to prevent the Republican-controlled House from passing election legislation that Democrats say would restrict participation. The end of the stalemate,...
Texas House Speaker Signs
52 Arrest Warrants for Dems
Aug 11, 2021 6:42 AM CDT
Texas House Speaker Signs 52 Arrest Warrants for Dems
Following state Supreme Court ruling overturning restraining order on arrests, 80-12 vote in House
- On Tuesday, the Texas Supreme Court overturned a district court's restraining order that blocked the arrest of Democrats in the state's House of Representatives who fled Texas last month for DC to break quorum and keep the chamber from voting on restrictive voting bills. The all-Republican high court...
Agree on This
Jul 28, 2021 8:32 AM CDT
Republicans and Democrats Agree on This
They view the Supreme Court evenly, and not especially well
- Just 49% of Americans approve of the performance of the Supreme Court, down from 58%—a 10-year high— a year ago . That's according to a Gallup poll conducted from July 6 to 21 and released Wednesday. It brings the court's first approval rating below 50% since 2017, per...
Lawmakers Agree to Deal
to Investigate Capitol Attack
May 14, 2021 11:19 AM CDT
Lawmakers Agree to Deal to Investigate Capitol Attack
House could vote on proposed bipartisan commission next week
- House lawmakers have reached a bipartisan deal to investigate the Jan. 6 attack on the US Capitol, and it does not include a look at violence alleged to have come from left-wing groups last summer, as some Republicans had hoped. The proposed 10-person commission would focus only on the attack...
Oldest Supreme Court Justice
Under Pressure to Retire
in case you missed it
May 8, 2021 2:30 PM CDT
Oldest Supreme Court Justice Under Pressure to Retire
Some want Stephen Breyer, 82, to clear way for younger liberal
- President Biden could have a Supreme Court seat to fill come summer. There is "immense urgency" among progressive Democrats for liberal Justice Stephen Breyer, who was nominated to the court by President Clinton in 1994, to retire after the court wraps up its current term around the end of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Law & Order Actress Drowns in NY River
Witness at Surprise Jan. 6 Hearing Is Revealed
46 Found Dead in 18-Wheeler in San Antonio
Cops Shove Full House Star to the Ground During LA Protest
Nightclub Survivor Says Something Was Sprayed
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.