Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Clip Is Unearthed
Jun 20, 2022 1:10 PM CDT
Clip Is Unearthed
Margaret Hamilton reprised her Oz witch in a 1976 show that never aired again
- A rare and relatively controversial clip from
in 1976 is available for widespread viewing for the first time since it aired. As Mashable reports, it features none other than Margaret Hamilton reprising her role from the
Wizard of Oz
as the Wicked Witch of the West. In the...
His Friendship 'Echoed
Mar 11, 2022 7:05 AM CST
His Friendship 'Echoed Through Generations'
Longtime 'Sesame Street' actor Emilio Delgado dies at 81
- He broke barriers as a rare Latino figure on American TV and went on to win an Impact Award from the National Hispanic Media Coalition. But the generations of kids who grew up watching him might simply remember his warm presence and smile. Emilio Delgado, the actor and singer who...
Has Its First
Nov 15, 2021 3:27 AM CST
Has Its First Asian-American Muppet
Meet Ji-Young, who is Korean-American
- What's in a name? Well, for Ji-Young, the newest muppet resident of
, her name is a sign she was meant to live there. “So, in Korean traditionally the two syllables they each mean something different and Ji means, like, smart or wise. And Young means, like,...
The Right Is Outraged Over
Big Bird's Take on Vaccines
Nov 9, 2021 12:35 AM CST
The Right Is Outraged Over Big Bird's Take on Vaccines
'Sesame Street' characters get vaccinated against COVID-19
- It's conservatives vs.
: Some on the right are decidedly unhappy with the stance the children's television show has taken on the coronavirus vaccine. "I got the COVID-19 vaccine today!" tweeted the account for the character of Big Bird, who is depicted as a 6-year-old,...
Gay Dads and Their Daughter
Jun 26, 2021 8:54 PM CDT
Introduces Gay Dads and Their Daughter
Nina's brother and his family showed up for family day
- There’s a new family on Sesame Street. Nina, a regular character, introduces her brother Dave on family day. Dave, his husband, Frank, and their daughter, Mia, all come to a party. It’s a very natural introduction, providing only the information a kid needs. Kids “just need to...
Arrests Made in
of $160K Big Bird
Apr 24, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
Arrests Made in Disappearance of $160K Big Bird
7-foot-tall costume swiped from Aussie circus, then returned with apology note: 'We had a great time'
- They may not have known how to get to Sesame Street, but two suspected Aussie thieves apparently knew how to get back to the venue where they allegedly swiped a Big Bird costume. The
reports that the nearly 7-foot-tall, $160,000 outfit, said to be made of ostrich feathers...
Puppeteer Dead at 85
Dec 8, 2019 2:00 PM CST
Puppeteer Dead at 85
Caroll Spinney was the force behind Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch
- Caroll Spinney, who gave Big Bird his warmth and Oscar the Grouch his growl for nearly 50 years on
, died Sunday at the age of 85 at his home in Connecticut, according to the Sesame Workshop. The Sesame Workshop said in a statement that the legendary puppeteer lived...
Issue of Parental Addiction
Oct 10, 2019 12:18 AM CDT
Addresses Issue of Parental Addiction
Elmo's new friend has a mother with a problem
is taking a new step to try to help kids navigate life in America—it's tackling the opioid crisis. Sesame Workshop is exploring the backstory of Karli, a bright green, yellow-haired friend of Elmo's whose mother is battling addiction. The initiative is part of the Sesame...
Wait ... What Did Grover Say?
Dec 28, 2018 2:45 PM CST
Wait ... What Did Grover Say?
Some think the puppet dropped an F-bomb
- Production of
moved from PBS to HBO a couple of years ago. Could it be that the cable network famous for series like
has retooled the long-running kids show to make it more consistent with its other programming? Case in point:
First Homeless Muppet
Dec 13, 2018 2:17 PM CST
's First Homeless Muppet
Lily's new storyline involves her family losing their home
- For the first time in its nearly 50-year history,
will have a homeless Muppet character. Lily, a character first introduced as a hungry, impoverished little girl in 2011, is now involved in a storyline involving her family becoming homeless and having to stay with friends, CNN reports. For...
After 50 Years,
a Final Bow for
Original Big Bird
Oct 17, 2018 12:18 PM CDT
After 50 Years, a Final Bow for Original Big Bird
Caroll Spinney retires from 'Sesame Street'
- Big Bird is flying the coop. Caroll Spinney, the 84-year-old puppeteer who's portrayed Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch on
since the show's premiere in 1969, announced his retirement Wednesday, telling the
New York Times
that the physical requirements have become too much for him. Still,...
Forced to Clarify
Sep 18, 2018 7:07 PM CDT
Sesame Workshop Forced to Clarify Bert-Ernie Relationship
They're just friends, and have no sexual orientation
- After years of speculation on the sexuality of
's Bert and Ernie, Sesame Workshop has been forced to make an official statement on the matter. It started when Mark Saltzman, a writer on the show for 14 years, told Queerty , "I always felt that without a huge...
Sues Over Film With
May 29, 2018 9:36 AM CDT
Sues Over Film With 'Ejaculating Puppets'
Trailer suggests Sesame's endorsement, suit claims
- The first trailer for an R-rated movie starring Melissa McCarthy and a bunch of drug-sniffing, sex-crazed puppets notes it's "No Sesame. All Street." But the makers of
aren't sure viewers will get the message. Sesame Workshop, which produces the kids show, is suing STX...
Character Is a First
Mar 20, 2017 7:53 AM CDT
Newest Character Is a First
'Julia' has autism
- Folks on
have a way of making everyone feel accepted. That certainly goes for Julia, a Muppet youngster with blazing red hair, bright green eyes—and autism. Rather than being treated like an outsider, often the plight of kids on the spectrum, Julia is one of the gang,...
Down the Block to HBO
Aug 13, 2015 1:20 PM CDT
Moves Down the Block to HBO
But PBS, which has aired the show since 1969, isn't left out in the cold
- In addition to their ABCs and 123s, kids watching
will now also become familiar with H-B-O. The cable network has announced a new partnership with Sesame Workshop, the nonprofit behind the TV show, that means the next five seasons will air exclusively on HBO and via its streaming...
44-Year Veteran This Season
Jul 2, 2015 12:19 PM CDT
Losing 44-Year Veteran This Season
Sonia Manzano, who plays Maria, to take on 'new endeavors'
- "It's the end of an era on
," reports CNN . Sonia Manzano, who plays Fix-It Shop owner Maria, is retiring from the show after 44 years. Manzano, who made the announcement at the American Library Association Annual Conference this week, first appeared on the series in...
'Big Bird' Almost
Went Up in
May 6, 2015 10:44 AM CDT
'Big Bird' Almost Went Up in Challenger Shuttle
'It made my scalp crawl to think I was supposed to be on that'
- Big Bird was almost a passenger on the doomed Challenger space shuttle in 1986. Caroll Spinney, who has played the
character for 46 years, has a new documentary—
I Am Big Bird
—and he discussed the dark tidbit while discussing the film with
. NASA thought that if...
You Must See
Jun 28, 2013 11:44 AM CDT
You Must See the
Bert and Ernie tableau makes headlines
- Odds are you have, at some point in your life, made a joke about Bert and Ernie's sexuality. Well, a just-revealed
cover takes those jokes to the next level, making them downright sweet. Titled "Bert and Ernie's Moment of Joy," the image is intended,...
30K Flock to
Apr 1, 2013 12:16 PM CDT
30K Flock to White House Egg Roll
Event features celebrities, corporate sponsors
- The Obamas welcomed thousands of people to the South Lawn today for the White House's annual Easter egg roll, standing alongside the Easter Bunny and such less-heralded mascots as Colby Carrot and Eric Eggplant,
reports. Messrs. Carrot and Eggplant, of course, were there to help in Michelle...
Accuser No. 4
Emerges in 'Elmo'
Dec 10, 2012 10:18 AM CST
Accuser No. 4 Emerges in 'Elmo' Sex Scandal
Latest 'John Doe' files lawsuit against Kevin Clash
- The "Elmo" sex scandal shows no signs of going away: Kevin Clash, the former puppeteer of the popular
character, has been hit with yet another lawsuit alleging he had sexual relations with a minor. Accuser No. 4, so far not identified, claims he met Clash when he...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Miner's Surprise Find: 'She's Perfect and She's Beautiful'
Conservatives Skeptical of Thomas' New Challenge
20 Dead in S. African Nightclub, and Police Don't Know Cause
World Leaders Now Going After Russia's 2nd-Largest Export
Lawmaker Makes Gaffe Praising Abortion Decision
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.