Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Fat Acts as a
'Reservoir' for COVID
in case you missed it
Dec 12, 2021 5:40 PM CST
Fat Acts as a 'Reservoir' for COVID
Research may show why obese, overweight people are at greater risk
- A recent study found obese people with COVID-19 were 113% more likely to end up in a hospital, 74% more likely to be admitted to an ICU, and 48% more likely to die than people of a healthy weight, per
. New research might explain why. The study, posted online...
Army Wants to Fight
Jan 31, 2012 2:23 PM CST
Army Wants to Fight Obesity—With Fat Injections
New research award asks companies for a way to generate 'good' brown fat
- The Army thinks its troops are getting too fat, and it's hoping to solve that problem with science. In its latest round of small-business research awards, the Army has asked companies to find a way to slim down its soldiers by injecting them with fat. Confused? Well, as
Are Healthy, Study Finds
May 7, 2008 6:52 AM CDT
Big Butts Are Healthy, Study Finds
Pear-shaped bodies contain fat that could help prevent diabetes
- The kind of fat found in the hips and buttocks may actually help fight diabetes, a result that surprised Harvard doctors performing the research that produced the finding. Although belly fat is known to raise the risk of diabetes, subcutaneous fat injected into the abdomens of mice actually increased their...
Fat Cell Numbers
Don't Bulge: Study
May 5, 2008 7:44 AM CDT
Fat Cell Numbers Don't Bulge: Study
Fat cells remain stable throughout life
- The number of fat cells is set for a lifetime in childhood, a new study indicates. The latest research into obesity reveals fundamental new insights into why some people become fat and why it is so hard for overweight people to keep excess pounds off—even after a successful diet,...
Popular on Newser
Brittney Griner Freed by Russia, but at a 'Heavy Price'
Man Who Stood Up Wife at Airport Found 10 Years Later
Restaurant Axed Reservation After Staff Looked Up Group
Palace 'Might Be Relieved' by Harry & Meghan Series
Release May Be a Reward for Viktor Bout Keeping 'His Cool'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.