Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
They Found the Bald Eagles
Facedown in the Snow
Dec 12, 2022 10:10 AM CST
They Found the Bald Eagles Facedown in the Snow
3 have died, 10 more hurt after possible poisoning from eating euthanized animals in Minn. landfill
- At least 13 bald eagles were likely poisoned by scavenging the carcasses of euthanized animals that were improperly dumped at a Minnesota landfill, and three of the majestic birds have died, per the AP . The
Minneapolis Star Tribune
reports that state and federal wildlife officials are investigating after the eagles...
Avian Flu Is Killing
Bald Eagles, Too
Apr 23, 2022 3:30 PM CDT
Avian Flu Is Killing Bald Eagles, Too
Experts worry about the effects during nesting season
- The toll is much higher among chickens and turkeys , but the avian flu outbreak is killing bald eagles, as well. Since February, 41 dead bald eagles were found to have been infected with the virus, per the USDA. That doesn't include two others infected in New York late last...
'Sort of Stunning'
Stat Is Bad News
for Bald Eagles
Feb 17, 2022 2:46 PM CST
'Sort of Stunning' Stat Is Bad News for Bald Eagles
About half suffer from lead poisoning, according to a new study
- A new study in
has a stat that doesn't bode well for bald eagles—and is even worse for golden eagles: "Almost half of all animals sampled had chronic, toxic levels of lead." Researchers tested more than 1,200 live and dead eagles from across the...
Man Gets 30 Days for
Possessing Eagle Feather
Feb 16, 2022 7:35 PM CST
Man Gets 30 Days for Possessing Eagle Feather
Prosecutors say Louisiana man admitted killing bald eagle
- A 20-year-old Louisiana man has been sentenced to 30 days in prison and a year on supervised release for possessing a bald eagle feather, federal prosecutors said Wednesday. Daniel Glenn Smith of Homer was sentenced Tuesday in Shreveport for violating a law that says only federally recognized Native American tribes...
Scientists Unravel Mystery
Ailment of Bald Eagles
Mar 26, 2021 11:43 AM CDT
Scientists Unravel Mystery Ailment of Bald Eagles
New study attributes deaths to toxin triggered by bromide
- For the last 25 years, a mysterious ailment has been killing bald eagles in the US and leaving them with holes in their brains. Researchers identified vacuolar myelinopathy (VM), a deadly condition that brings on paralysis, blindness, and seizures in bald eagles and their prey, including fish, turtles, snakes, and...
Very Good News
for America's Symbol
Mar 25, 2021 11:15 AM CDT
Very Good News for America's Symbol
Interior Secretary Deb Haaland touts the 'importance of the Endangered Species Act'
- The number of American bald eagles has quadrupled since 2009, with more than 300,000 birds soaring over the lower 48 states, government scientists said in a report Wednesday, according to the AP . The US Fish and Wildlife Service said bald eagles, the national symbol that once teetered on the...
Bald Eagle, 1.
Aug 14, 2020 1:13 PM CDT
Bald Eagle, 1. Drone, 0
Bird sends government device into Lake Michigan
- A bald eagle in Michigan made it very clear he's not happy about government drones in its territory. The eagle attacked a $950 drone being used to map shoreline erosion on Lake Michigan and sent it to the bottom of the very lake it was studying, reports MLive . The...
In Massachusetts, a 'Really
Exciting' Bald Eagle Nest
May 29, 2020 11:40 AM CDT
In Massachusetts, a 'Really Exciting' Bald Eagle Nest
It's the first active nest in Cape Cod in more than a century
- For the first time in 115 years, a bald eagle nest with eggs has been spotted on Cape Cod. The Massachusetts Division of Fisheries and Wildlife has reported a "dramatic uptick" in active bald eagle nests this spring, with more than 70 seen across the state, reports CNN . Nine...
Ends Up in
May 21, 2020 2:12 PM CDT
Injured Bald Eagle Ends Up in Risky Spot
California troopers rescue bird from highway
- It's not your typical interstate sight: a bald eagle, walking in the road and blocking traffic. Alarmed drivers on California's Interstate 5 called it in to the California Highway Patrol in Redding, and troopers rescued the bird Wednesday, reports Fox News . When they first arrived, troopers had to...
Killing Bald Eagles
Feb 17, 2020 9:06 AM CST
Hunters Are Unintentionally Killing Bald Eagles
It's because of the lead bullets they use
- America's bald eagles aren't being shot, but bullets are killing them. It's an unintentional side effect of hunters going after deer and other animals with lead bullets, striking the creature, but then losing sight of it as it runs away. Bald eagles who consume the carcass end...
Octopus Filmed Trying
to Drown Bald Eagle
Dec 13, 2019 7:35 AM CST
Octopus Filmed Trying to Drown Bald Eagle
Both animals survive thanks to BC fish farmers
- It was bald eagle vs. octopus in what was likely to be a battle to the death. Then a group of Canadians intervened. The salmon farmers were on the water near Quatsino, BC, at the northwest tip of Vancouver Island on Monday when they heard "a lot of splashing...
Maryland Can't Figure Out
Who Is Killing Bald Eagles
May 3, 2019 8:34 AM CDT
Maryland Can't Figure Out Who Is Killing Bald Eagles
Wildlife officials think someone is killing them by accident
- Wildlife authorities in Maryland are trying to stop the person who is killing bald eagles—unintentionally. So far this year, seven bald eagles and a great horned owl have been killed along the Eastern Shore by poison, and others were sickened, reports CNN . Sound familiar? Something similar happened in 2016...
Bald Eagles' Nest Has
an Unusual Combination
Apr 15, 2019 9:36 AM CDT
Bald Eagles' Nest Has an Unusual Combination
2 males and a female are raising 3 eaglets together
- Tune into the live webcam of a bald eagles' nest in Illinois, and you may see a rare sight: two dads and one mom tending three eaglets, reports the
. The webcam is courtesy of the Upper Mississippi River National Wildlife Refuge, and a post at Audubon explains just...
Bald Eagle Die-Off
Jun 22, 2018 10:53 AM CDT
Maryland's Bald Eagle Die-Off Finally Explained
The 13 birds ingested a banned pesticide
- Thirteen bald eagles found dead on farmland in Maryland's Eastern Shore in the state's largest die-off of the birds in 30 years died from ingesting a banned pesticide, wildlife officials say. The carcasses of the eagles, mostly immature, were discovered in Federalsburg in February 2016 with no outward...
Bald Eagle Lands
on Canadian Pitcher
Before MLB Game
Apr 6, 2018 12:03 AM CDT
Bald Eagle Lands on Canadian Pitcher Before MLB Game
'Figured I'm not going to outrun an eagle'
- The patriotic pregame show ahead of the Minnesota Twins' home opener went awry when a bald eagle failed to cooperate. The bird, there for a ceremonial flight during the national anthem, landed on Seattle Mariners starting pitcher James Paxton instead of its handler, the AP reports. Paxton—a Canadian—was...
Bald Eagle Injured During
Storm Gets DC Treatment
Jul 4, 2017 12:00 PM CDT
Bald Eagle Injured During Storm Gets DC Treatment
You can't get any more American on the Fourth of July than this
- Liberty (or is it Justice?) is injured. But don't fret: The bald eagle is expected to be back flying over Washington, DC, before long. The bird—believed to be one of a pair, named Liberty and Justice, who've long lived at the Metropolitan Police Academy, per the
DC Bald Eagles Snuggle
to Protect Eggs Amid Storm
Mar 15, 2017 2:38 PM CDT
DC Bald Eagles Snuggle to Protect Eggs Amid Storm
The eggs are expected to be fine thanks to the protection of their parents
- Washington DC has been hit by wind, sleet, and snow this week, but two nesting bald eagles at the US National Arboretum worked to ensure that none of it affected their two eggs. The arboretum says its live eagle cam showed the female eagle—known as The First Lady—sheltering...
Viewers Watch With Bated
Breath for Bald Eagle Hatchings
Dec 30, 2016 7:46 AM CST
Viewers Watch With Bated Breath for Bald Eagle Hatchings
Live feed out of Fort Myers, Fla., should show 2 eggs hatch at any moment
- "We have a PIP in one egg!! The hatching process has begun." That's the excited message on a Southwest Florida real estate website that's been documenting a local bald eagle and her mates via live cam for four years. The big event everyone's now waiting...
Weekend's Oddest 911 Call:
Bald Eagle Stuck in Car Grille
Oct 10, 2016 4:03 AM CDT
Weekend's Oddest 911 Call: Bald Eagle Stuck in Car Grille
Rescuers think the bird flew in front of a car while hunting
- The Clay County Sheriff's Office in northern Florida has been busy in the aftermath of Hurricane Matthew, but one emergency call over the weekend has gotten more attention than the rest: a bald eagle stuck in the grille of a car. Local police and fire and rescue were able...
NYC Birders Excited About
Mystery Bald Eagle
Sep 7, 2016 7:33 AM CDT
NYC Birders Excited About Mystery Bald Eagle
Young bird may be city's first native-born eagle in more than 100 years
- Between seven to 10 bald eagles call Staten Island their home, but there may be one who can stake a special residency claim, per NBC New York . Although it's only circumstantial evidence so far, birders have recently spotted a young eagle with two adult birds and chowing down on...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Here's What People Are Saying After Biden's State of the Union
Days After 'Dead' Woman Was Found Alive, a New Incident
After a Drowning, Amusement Park Ride Closes for Good
After Tyre Nichols' Beating, a Pic Began Making the Rounds
Finding Puts 'Extra Nail in the Coffin' on Neanderthal Theory
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.