Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
They've Gone Down in History
for Their 1999 Running Ruse
Jan 28, 2023 6:00 AM CST
They've Gone Down in History for Their 1999 Running Ruse
Sergio and Arnold Motsoeneng infamously cheated during the Comrades
- Google "Sergio Motsoeneng," or the name of his brother Arnold, and you'll enter a portal into a scandal. The South African brothers' story of cheating in a 1999 ultramarathon has persisted as one of the most lasting in running history, writes Ryan Lenora Brown for Insider , as...
Jan 9, 2023 11:10 AM CST
CEO Reportedly Was Served Coffee Laced With Cyanide
Andre de Ruyter of South Africa energy giant Eskom survives
- A strange and disturbing story out of South Africa: Multiple reports say the head of the energy giant Eskom survived an attempt to kill him via cyanide in his coffee. "I have reported the matter to SAPS [the South African Police Service] ... and the case can be assumed to...
White Men Charged in Attack
to Keep Black Teens From Pool
Dec 30, 2022 4:55 PM CST
White Men Charged in Attack to Keep Black Teens From Pool
Christmas attack at resort reminds South Africans of their past
- Nearly 30 years after the country abandoned apartheid, three white men have been charged with attacking Black teenagers to keep them from using a swimming pool at a resort in South Africa. One of the men arrested faces an attempted murder count and two others are charged with assault, the...
With Giraffe at
Oct 20, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
Encounter With Giraffe at Game Preserve Turns Deadly
Toddler dies, mother in critical condition following incident in South Africa
- A toddler has died and her mother is fighting for her life after the pair were reportedly trampled by a giraffe on a South African game preserve. The incident happened around 4pm local time on Wednesday at the luxury Kuleni Game Park in KwaZulu-Natal province on the country's east...
Fed on Murdered Botanists
Oct 4, 2022 3:25 PM CDT
Prosecutors: Crocodiles Fed on Murdered Botanists
Rod and Rachel Saunders were killed in 2018
- Well-respected British botanists who were searching for rare Gladioli flower seeds in South Africa met a gruesome fate, having been killed and dumped in crocodile-infested waters, a South African court heard on Tuesday. Rod and Rachel Saunders, ages 74 and 63, respectively, filmed a segment for BBC Gardeners' World in...
Oscar Pistorius Argues
He Is Due a Parole Hearing
Aug 31, 2022 4:42 PM CDT
Oscar Pistorius Argues He Is Due a Parole Hearing
He argues in filing he's been eligible for one since February 2021
- Oscar Pistorius is angling to get out of prison. The former Paralympic gold medalist argues he is eligible for parole, and as the BBC reports, whether that's so isn't exactly black and white. He was originally sentenced to six years for killing girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp in the middle...
King Accepts Disputed Crown
Aug 20, 2022 3:15 PM CDT
King Accepts Disputed Crown
Zulu nation holds coronation, though some question succession
- The new king of South Africa's Zulu nation, Misuzulu kaZwelithini, was enthroned in a colorful ceremony Saturday before hundreds of supporters in a rural part of KwaZulu-Natal province. The king dismissed those challenging his right to the throne in his first public comments on the issue, the AP reports....
21 Teens Who Died in Bar
Ingested Toxic Form of Alcohol
Jul 19, 2022 11:13 AM CDT
21 Teens Who Died in Bar Ingested Toxic Form of Alcohol
Methanol investigated as possible cause of death in South African tragedy
- The toxic chemical methanol has been identified as a possible cause of the deaths of 21 teenagers at a bar in the South African city of East London last month, per the AP . Methanol was found in all of their bodies, and investigations are continuing to determine whether the levels...
'Cold-Blooded Attack' in Bar
in S. Africa Leaves 15 Dead
Jul 10, 2022 6:01 AM CDT
'Cold-Blooded Attack' in Bar in S. Africa Leaves 15 Dead
Gunmen fire randomly into tavern in Soweto, police say
- For the second time in weeks , mass tragedy has unfolded at a bar in South Africa. Gunmen opened fire at a tavern in Soweto around midnight, killing 15 and wounding nine more, reports Reuters . Police don't know a motive, and no arrests have been made. The gunmen, armed with...
This Could Change Theory
on the Origin of Humankind
Jul 2, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
This Could Change Theory on the Origin of Humankind
Australopithecus africanus fossils in South Africa are a million years older than we thought
- The earliest species of human is thought to have evolved from East Africa based on fossil findings, including that of the famous Lucy, an
who lived in what is now Ethiopia some 3.2 million years ago. But that theory might now be shifting thanks to new findings...
Nightclub Survivor Says
Something Was Sprayed
Jun 27, 2022 6:12 PM CDT
Nightclub Survivor Says Something Was Sprayed
'We suffocated' inside South Africa club where 21 teens died, she says
- Survivors of the mysterious nightclub disaster that left 21 young people dead in South Africa say that had trouble breathing after something was sprayed or thrown inside the nightclub. A 17-year-old survivor tells Al Jazeera that she was at the nightclub in the coastal city of East London early Sunday...
20 Dead in S. African Nightclub,
and Police Don't Know Cause
Jun 26, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
20 Dead in S. African Nightclub, and Police Don't Know Cause
Young victims found in venue in city of East London
- Police in a South African city are investigating a mysterious tragedy—at least 20 young adults died Saturday night at a nightclub for reasons that remain unclear. Bodies of the victims, thought to be ages 18 to 20, were found at the Enyobeni Tavern in the city of East London,...
Airline's Afrikaans Test
Jun 6, 2022 8:10 PM CDT
Airline's Afrikaans Test Angers Passengers
Ryanair says it's trying to catch passport fraudsters
- Ryanair's "simple questionnaire" designed to cut down on passport fraud immediately caused the budget airline complications. "Bigoted rubbish," one person posted online. "Pretty racist," said another. When the South African government expressed concern about an increase in the use of fake passports, Ryanair's...
In Cape Town,
Win on 'Obscene'
Mar 21, 2022 6:37 AM CDT
In Cape Town, an Indigenous Win on 'Obscene' Amazon Project
Court temporarily halts retail giant's building of African HQ in Cape Town
- Thousands of years ago, South Africa's earliest dwellers roamed the land. Now, as Amazon tries to build its new African headquarters there, it's facing a battle from Indigenous locals who say the company shouldn't be building on what they say is sacred land—and last week, they...
This Man Is About to
Become the New Zulu King
Mar 2, 2022 12:55 PM CST
This Man Is About to Become the New Zulu King
South African court paves way for coronation of Prince Misuzulu KaZwelithin
- A new Zulu king can be crowned in South Africa after a court settled a dispute Wednesday over whether the prince named as heir to the throne last year had a rightful claim to it. A KwaZulu-Natal high court judge in the city of Pietermaritzburg ruled that Prince Misuzulu KaZwelithini,...
Stowaway Found on Plane May
Have Been in Air for 11 Hours
Jan 24, 2022 7:31 AM CST
Stowaway Found on Plane May Have Been in Air for 11 Hours
Man discovered in Amsterdam survived flight that originated in South Africa
- A cargo flight that originated in South Africa had a surprise waiting on board when it finally landed in Amsterdam: a guy hidden in the plane's wheel section, still alive after what may have been 11 hours in the air, per ABC News . "The man was found alive...
Fire Crews Work
to Save Parliament
Jan 4, 2022 1:10 AM CST
Fire Crews Work to Save Parliament
Flames reignite in South Africa
The fire sweeping through South Africa's Parliament complex was said to be under control Monday, but reignited hours later. The National Assembly, or lower chamber, is completely destroyed, the BBC reports. Flames were still seen coming from the building Monday night, and the fourth and fifth floors were...
South Africa: Omicron
'Flash Flood' Has Passed
Dec 31, 2021 6:31 AM CST
South Africa: Omicron 'Flash Flood' Has Passed
Johns Hopkins University says US reported 647K cases Thursday
- The omicron variant is pushing COVID case numbers to record levels in numerous countries—including the US, which reported a staggering 647,076 cases Thursday, according to the Johns Hopkins University tracker. But in South Africa, one of the countries to first detect the variant, scientists believe the worst is...
Desmond Tutu Has
Died at 90
Dec 26, 2021 5:45 AM CST
Desmond Tutu Has Died at 90
World mourns South African freedom fighter
- Desmond Tutu, South Africa’s Nobel Peace Prize-winning activist for racial justice and LGBT rights and retired Anglican Archbishop of Cape Town, has died, South African President Cyril Ramaphosa announced Sunday. He was 90. An uncompromising foe of apartheid—South Africa’s brutal regime of oppression against the Black majority—...
White House Is
Lifting Travel Curbs
on 8 African Countries
Dec 24, 2021 10:43 AM CST
White House Is Lifting Travel Curbs on 8 African Countries
Feds say restrictions bought time to better understand omicron variant
- With omicron now by far the dominant COVID variant in the US, authorities apparently don't see much point in continuing to ban travelers from southern Africa, where the variant was first detected last month. The White House confirmed Friday that the ban on non-US citizens who had been in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
US Downs Chinese Balloon Off South Carolina Coast
Now There's a 2nd Balloon, per Pentagon
A Vital Mineral Deposit Could Bring Big Change to Nebraska Village
This Reporter Followed George Santos Around for 16 Hours
Judge Wants Answers After Jan. 6 Defendant Recants Guilt
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.