Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
West Point Cadets
Fail to Get Navy's Goat
Nov 23, 2021 7:58 PM CST
West Point Cadets Fail to Get Navy's Goat
They made off with retired Navy mascot instead of the current Bill
- A top-secret mission involving West Point cadets went wrong over the weekend when they kidnapped the wrong goat. In what Dave Philipps at the
New York Times
calls a "Bay of Pigs-style embarrassment," US Military Academy cadets trying to carry on the long, but officially banned, tradition of...
Cadets Assured They're
Ready for Anything
May 22, 2021 5:15 PM CDT
Cadets Assured They're Ready for Anything
Defense secretary tells West Point graduates the threats include cyber weapons and pandemics
- Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin told US Military Academy cadets Saturday they were graduating during "exceptionally tough circumstances," but that West Point prepared them to face the extraordinary threats ahead and the ones already here. Austin spoke to about 1,000 cadets becoming Army second lieutenants in a ceremony...
West Point Reveals Biggest
Cheating Scandal in Decades
Dec 21, 2020 5:03 PM CST
West Point Reveals Biggest Cheating Scandal in Decades
Academy argues the honor code remains intact, and the offending cadets will be punished
- Cheating on a math test at the US Military Academy, which is facing its worst cheating scandal in more than 40 years, can be a national security issue, a West Point law professor says. "There's no excuse for cheating when the fundamental code for cadets is that they...
Army-Navy Game: This
Hasn't Happened in 77 Years
Dec 12, 2020 10:30 AM CST
Army-Navy Game: This Hasn't Happened in 77 Years
West Point will host the game due to coronavirus restrictions
- The "Army-Navy" game is returning to West Point. For the first time in nearly eight decades, the revered football matchup will be played Saturday at West Point's Michie Stadium, Fox News reports. The move away from Philadelphia was prompted by coronavirus restrictions in Pennsylvania that limit the number...
Jun 14, 2020 8:02 AM CDT
Day Before 74th Birthday, Concerns About Trump's Health
President appears to move gingerly, needs 2 hands to lift water glass
- The day before his 74th birthday, President Trump walked down a ramp and took a sip of water in ways that raised some eyebrows, reports
. While at West Point on Saturday to give the commencement speech, Trump walked rather gingerly down a ramp, prompting concerns about his health. The...
Trump at West Point:
'We Will Only Fight to Win'
Jun 13, 2020 10:30 AM CDT
Trump at West Point: 'We Will Only Fight to Win'
The president also vows to 'vanquish the virus'
- President Trump dismissed "the passions and prejudices of the moment" and promised to "vanquish the virus" in his Saturday commencement speech at West Point—where roughly 1,100 graduates were socially distanced 6 feet apart at Plain Parade Field in New York, CNN reports. "This premier military...
In a First, West Point Class
Includes a Sikh Woman
Jun 12, 2020 5:25 PM CDT
In a First, West Point Class Includes a Sikh Woman
Anmol Narang is receiving a degree in nuclear engineering
- The US Military Academy at West Point will make history Saturday when it graduates the first Sikh woman to successfully complete the path to a four-year degree. Second Lt. Anmol Narang is a second-generation immigrant born and raised in Roswell, Georgia, the AP reports. She did a year of undergraduate...
West Point Says Graduation
Ceremony Is Going Ahead
Apr 22, 2020 2:45 PM CDT
West Point Says Graduation Ceremony Is Going Ahead
Trump will be the commencement speaker
- The US Military Academy at West Point has confirmed that this year's graduation will go ahead, with graduates present and President Trump as the commencement speaker—but it's not sure how big the ceremony will be. The academy in New York state said the event, which has been...
He Got Addicted at West Point,
Now Owes the US $330K
in case you missed it
Mar 22, 2020 2:00 PM CDT
He Got Addicted at West Point, Now Owes the US $330K
Football player Jared Rogers' opioid story raises larger questions about Army views on addiction
- The temperature was around zero when the West Point football team took to the practice field early on the morning of March 4, 2014. So cold that defensive back Jared Rogers ended up with frostbite in his fingers. After a few days in the hospital, medical records show he left...
Cadets Were Just
Playing 'the Circle Game,'
Service Academies Find
Dec 20, 2019 5:10 PM CST
Cadets Were Just Playing 'the Circle Game,' Service Academies Find
Investigation clears Army-Navy spectators of making white power gestures
- West Point has decided that cadets attending the Army-Navy football game last weekend did not intend to flash white power hand gestures. But the Military Academy is still not thrilled. An investigation found that the cadets were playing "the circle game," usually played by children and teenagers. In...
Missing West Point
Cadet Found Dead
Oct 23, 2019 10:30 AM CDT
Missing West Point Cadet Found Dead
Kade Kurita, 20, hadn't been seen since Friday
- West Point cadet Kade Kurita didn't show up to a military skills competition Friday night, and he'd been missing ever since. On Tuesday night, the 20-year-old's body was found on the grounds of the New York military academy, CBS News reports. The Gardena, Calif., native's cause...
At Popular Diving Spot, Tragedy
When Rock Ledge Collapses
Sep 3, 2019 12:50 PM CDT
At Popular Diving Spot, Tragedy When Rock Ledge Collapses
West Point cadet Benjamin Bochtler dies in the Catskills
- A West Point cadet candidate has died after falling from a rock ledge at a popular spot among cliff-divers in upstate New York. Benjamin Bochtler, 20, was hanging from the ledge at the site known as Fawn's Leap on Kaaterskill Creek in the Catskill Mountains when a section of...
Judges on Reversing
Cadet's Rape Conviction:
Victim Was Too Quiet
Jun 8, 2019 8:00 AM CDT
Judges on Reversing Cadet's Rape Conviction: Victim Was Too Quiet
Chief of advocacy group for sexual assault victims calls it 'offensively bad decision' in West Point case
- A military appeals court's reversal of a West Point cadet's rape conviction and 21-year prison sentence has outraged sexual assault victim advocates who say the decision is filled with victim-blaming and antiquated notions about rape. But the cadet's attorney says the decision demonstrates the need for checks...
One Dead, 22 Injured in
West Point Mishap
Jun 6, 2019 10:40 AM CDT
One Dead, 22 Injured in West Point Mishap
Armored vehicle rolled Thursday, killing cadet
- A West Point cadet is dead after a tactical vehicle overturned during a training exercise early Thursday. The incident involving a Light Medium Tactical Vehicle, in which another 20 cadets and two soldiers were injured, occurred around 6:45am on a dirt road at the Camp Natural Bridge training site,...
Judge: Parents May Use Sperm
of Late Son to Produce Children
May 20, 2019 5:15 PM CDT
Judge: Parents May Use Sperm of Late Son to Produce Children
West Point cadet had dreamed of having a family
- The parents of a 21-year-old West Point cadet fatally injured in a skiing accident can use his frozen sperm to produce a child, a judge has ruled. New York Supreme Court Justice John Colangelo's ruling gives Peter Zhu's parents the ability to attempt conception with a surrogate mother,...
A Young Cadet Died Skiing.
Now, a 'Bittersweet Result'
Mar 4, 2019 5:58 PM CST
A Young Cadet Died Skiing. Now, a 'Bittersweet Result'
Parents get court's OK to retrieve Peter Zhu's sperm
- The parents of a 21-year-old West Point cadet fatally injured in a skiing accident raced the clock to get a judge's permission to retrieve his sperm for "the possibility of preserving some piece of our child that might live on." US Military Academy Cadet Peter Zhu was...
West Point Prank
Injures Air Force Mascot
Nov 5, 2018 1:55 AM CST
West Point Prank Injures Air Force Mascot
Gyrfalcon was returned with bloodied wings
- The United States Military Academy at West Point has apologized for a "prank" that injured the Air Force Academy's official mascot. Aurora, a 22-year-old white gyrfalcon, suffered injuries initially thought to be life-threatening after she was abducted along with another bird ahead of Saturday's annual Army-Air Force...
Jun 19, 2018 3:42 PM CDT
'Commie Cadet' Booted From US Army
Spenser Rapone gets other-than-honorable discharge after West Point photos
- The images Spenser Rapone posted on Twitter from his West Point graduation were intentionally shocking: In one, the cadet opens his dress uniform to expose a T-shirt with a blood-red image of socialist icon Che Guevara. In another, he raises his fist and flips his cap to reveal the message:...
West Point Honors Dream
of Teen Killed in Shooting
Feb 21, 2018 12:20 AM CST
West Point Honors Dream of Teen Killed in Shooting
Peter Wang has been admitted to Class of 2025
- West Point Academy has decided to honor the dream that died along with 15-year-old Peter Wang in the Parkland mass shooting. The JROTC member, who was shot dead in uniform while holding a door open for students and staff members fleeing the gunman, had hoped to go to the military...
First Black Woman to Lead
West Point Cadets: 'Humbling'
Aug 15, 2017 7:19 AM CDT
First Black Woman to Lead West Point Cadets: 'Humbling'
Simone Askew has assumed duties as first captain of the Long Gray Line
- Simone Askew marched into history Monday as the first black woman to lead the Long Gray Line at the US Military Academy. After an early-morning 12-mile march back to the gray stone academic complex at West Point with 1,200 new cadets she led through the rigors of basic training...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Secrets of Playboy 's Hugh Hefner Allegations Are Graphic
'Stealth Omicron' Has Arrived in the US
After 6 Years in Jail for Staying Mum on Gold, a New Roadblock
Man Fired, Charged After Rant in Smoothie Store
Here Are the 10 States People Are Fleeing
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.