Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
More Dead Whales Are
Turning Up on West Coast
Oct 27, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
More Dead Whales Are Turning Up on West Coast
At least 5 since mid-May, off of California and Canadian coasts
- Scientists are probing the unexplained deaths of a fourth and fifth whale on the US and Canadian west coasts since mid-May. "Spike," a young female humpback first documented by scientists in 2018, was found washed ashore near Vancouver Island on Sunday, just a day after a male humpback...
At 'Hell's Gate,' Hundreds
of Stranded Whales Languish
Sep 21, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
At 'Hell's Gate,' Hundreds of Stranded Whales Languish
Half the whales beached in Tasmania may still be alive, but rescue is 'complex'
- Almost two years ago to the day, close to 400 whales died after washing up on the shores near Macquarie Heads, Tasmania, in one of the largest strandings ever recorded. Now, deja vu on the Australian island's west coast. Some 230 whales have been beached near the town of...
Blue Apron, HelloFresh
Are Ditching Lobster
Sep 8, 2022 3:52 PM CDT
Blue Apron, HelloFresh Are Ditching Lobster
Moves come after conservation group's warning about dangers to whales from fishing gear
- Some retailers are taking lobster off the menu after an assessment from an influential conservation group that the seafood poses too much of a risk to rare whales and should be avoided. Whales can suffer injuries and even fatalities when they become entangled in the gear that connects to lobster...
Orcas Keep Damaging Boats,
and Theories Are Interesting
Aug 23, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
Orcas Keep Damaging Boats, and Theories Are Interesting
It might be a 'fad,' or a case of young males who like propellers
- The word is out among boaters along the coasts of European countries: Look out for orcas. For more than a year now, killer whales have been regularly causing trouble for boaters near France, Spain, Portugal, and elsewhere, reports NPR . Nobody has been injured, but the same can't be said...
Rescue of Stranded
Aug 10, 2022 7:25 AM CDT
'Unprecedented' Rescue of Stranded Whale Is Too Late
Beluga taken out of Seine to be transported back to chillier waters dies
- A beluga whale stranded in the Seine, far from the colder waters where it belongs, has died during an attempted rescue, reports CNN . The first part of a multistage relocation operation took place early Wednesday, with the 13-foot-long, 1,800-pound marine mammal lifted out of the waters in northern France...
Whale Is Stranded in the Seine
Aug 5, 2022 9:53 AM CDT
Whale Is Stranded in the Seine
Officials are now trying to save the beluga in France, far from its usual home in chillier waters
- A beluga whale is stranded far from home, and now French officials are trying to figure out how to get it to safety. The BBC reports that the skinny-looking whale is right now floating near Vernon, 45 miles or so northwest of Paris and way south of the chilly Arctic...
Humpback Whale Leaps,
Comes Down on Boat
May 19, 2022 2:50 PM CDT
Humpback Whale Leaps, Comes Down on Boat
It happened in Mexico on Saturday
- Getting up close and personal with nature proved dangerous in Mexico's Sea of Cortez on Saturday, when a boat that apparently got too close to a humpback whale ended up nearly being taken down by the creature. 9News reports that tourists on nearby boats in Topolobampo Bay off Sinaloa,...
At Infamous 'Death Trap for
Whales,' a Sad New Find
Mar 18, 2022 7:42 AM CDT
At Infamous 'Death Trap for Whales,' a Sad New Find
34 long-finned pilot whales found beached in mass stranding at New Zealand's Farewell Spit
- Farewell Spit, a perhaps aptly named 16-mile stretch of sand on the remote northern end of New Zealand's South Island, is making headlines for sad news that's become commonplace there. The island nation's Department of Conservation reported on Friday that 34 long-finned pilot whales have been found...
Whales Have a Unique
Way to Avoid Choking
Jan 24, 2022 3:19 PM CST
Whales Have a Unique Way to Avoid Choking
Researchers say an 'oral plug' seals off airways from water during lunge feeding
- Researchers say they've figured out what has long been a mystery about certain whales—how they keep from choking when taking in massive amounts of water while feeding. The answer? An "oral plug" at the back of their throats that shifts into place to seal off and protect...
After 3 Years, Mystery of
Whale Postcards Is Solved
Nov 28, 2021 5:10 PM CST
After 3 Years, Mystery of Whale Postcards Is Solved
Attorney Matthew Strugar was the subject of a friendly prank for 3 years
- If anyone deserves to get a postcard from a whale, it's Matthew Strugar, a civil rights attorney who made headlines several years ago by suing SeaWorld on behalf of the animals. The case, while unsuccessful, served the larger purpose of raising awareness about conditions and cemented Strugar's role...
Big Whales Eat a Whole
Lot More Than We Thought
in case you missed it
Nov 7, 2021 5:10 PM CST
Big Whales Eat a Whole Lot More Than We Thought
We're talking up to 50M calories a day—the equivalent of about 80K Big Macs
- It's no surprise that big whales are big eaters, but we may have underestimated just how much the largest varieties are actually consuming. According to new research, baleen whales—which include such species as humpbacks and blue whales—ingest three times more than we previously thought, with some able...
Whole by Whale
Is Doing Much
Jun 12, 2021 8:00 AM CDT
Man Swallowed Whole by Whale Is Doing Much Better Now
Michael Packard was diving for lobsters when he got gulped down off of Provincetown, Mass.
Cape Cod Times
calls Michael Packard's tale a "truly biblical" story, but for the 56-year-old Massachusetts man, he just considers it an incredibly lucky one. Packard, a lobster diver who's been working out of Provinceton for four decades, tells CBS Boston he was about 45 feet...
Teen in Coma After
'Headbutt' From a Whale
Jun 9, 2021 11:36 AM CDT
Teen in Coma After 'Headbutt' From a Whale
Family describes freak accident off Australia's east coast
- They were, in a word, unlucky. A young Aussie fisherman is fighting for his life, and another is recovering from a concussion after a breaching whale fell on their boat Sunday. "They had no warning, and no time to react," family members say in a statement, per CNN...
Jun 3, 2021 7:00 PM CDT
Research Points to Reasons Right Whales Are Shrinking
A full-grown whale now is 3 feet shorter than one 40 years ago
- When an Atlantic right whale is fully grown these days, it's about 3 feet shorter than a full-grown whale was in 1980. Research published Thursday in
indicates scientists have an idea why that is, NPR reports. A big reason for the whales' impaired growth is that they'...
Destroyer Docks in San Diego
With 2 Dead Whales on Hull
May 12, 2021 6:32 PM CDT
Destroyer Docks in San Diego With 2 Dead Whales on Hull
Australian navy says it is 'disheartened'
- A disturbing find was made as a Royal Australian Navy destroyer docked in San Diego on Saturday: Two dead whales—one of them as long as a tractor-trailer—had been stuck to its hull, CNN reports. The endangered fin whales, one 65 feet long and the other 25 feet, became...
The Whales Are
May 11, 2021 2:49 PM CDT
The Whales Are Endangered. And Hugging?
North Atlantic right whales were filmed in late February
- Were these whales really hugging—or was it just a fluke? Drone video of two critically endangered North Atlantic right whales swimming in Cape Cod Bay shows the animals appearing to embrace one another with their flippers. Wildlife photographer Brian Skerry and scientists from Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution and the...
'It's Like Seeing a Camel
at the North Pole'
May 10, 2021 11:00 AM CDT
'It's Like Seeing a Camel at the North Pole'
Wayward whale is spotted in the River Thames
- Two tales of two very different animals being sought by wildlife officials:
A young minke whale was lost far from home Monday, trapped in the Thames River upstream of London landmarks after it escaped from rescuers overnight, per the AP . Maritime authorities were trying to recapture the whale
After Seeing This Sight
4 Times, Concern Mounts
Apr 10, 2021 5:31 AM CDT
After Seeing This Sight 4 Times, Concern Mounts
Gray whales found dead in San Francisco Bay Area in 9 days
- Four dead gray whales have washed ashore San Francisco Bay Area beaches in the last nine days, with experts saying Friday one was struck by a ship. They were trying to determine how the other three died. "It’s alarming to respond to four dead gray whales in just...
For This Endangered Species,
an 'Encouraging Sign'
Apr 3, 2021 9:00 AM CDT
For This Endangered Species, an 'Encouraging Sign'
Scientists: N. Atlantic right whales gave birth this winter in larger numbers since 2015
- North Atlantic right whales gave birth over the winter in greater numbers than scientists have seen since 2015, an encouraging sign for researchers who became alarmed three years ago when the critically endangered species produced no known offspring at all. Survey teams spotted 17 newborn right whale calves swimming with...
3 Unwanted Letters for
Gray Whales: U-M-E
Jan 31, 2021 11:30 AM CST
3 Unwanted Letters for Gray Whales: U-M-E
'Unexplained mortality event': Scientists worry about prolonged spike in deaths
- Back in 2019, scientists reported an alarming spike in the number of deaths of gray whales along the Pacific Coast. Now, a new study in the
Marine Ecology Progress Series
journal confirms the trend continued through 2020. In what they term an "unusual mortality event," researchers have counted...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
Your Walking Speed Affects Health Benefits
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.