Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Food and Drug Administration
Stories 1 - 20 |
FDA Has Big News on
Postpartum Depression Front
Aug 5, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
FDA Has Big News on Postpartum Depression Front
Sage Therapeutics introduces fast-acting Zurzuvae, the first pill for condition afflicting new moms
- Hundreds of thousands of women suffer from postpartum depression annually, and while the serious condition that emerges after childbirth often resolves within weeks, for other women, it can stretch for months, even years, and cause feelings that may even prove dangerous. Now, the Food and Drug Administration has announced a...
Jul 11, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
Influencer-Backed Energy Drink Has People Worried
Lawmakers want FDA to investigate PRIME
- An influencer-backed energy drink that has earned viral popularity among children is facing scrutiny from lawmakers and health experts over its potentially dangerous levels of caffeine, the AP reports. On Sunday, Sen. Charles Schumer called on the Food and Drug Administration to investigate PRIME, a beverage brand founded by the...
Alzheimer's Drug Receives
Experts' Support for Approval
Jun 9, 2023 5:45 PM CDT
Alzheimer's Drug Receives Experts' Support for Approval
Leqembi, which already has conditional OK, costs about as much as Aduhelm
- Health advisers on Friday unanimously backed the full approval of a closely watched Alzheimer's drug, a key step toward opening insurance coverage to US seniors with early stages of the brain-robbing disease. The drug, Leqembi, received conditional approval from the Food and Drug Administration in January based on early...
FDA Has a New Rule for Gay,
Bisexual Blood Donors
May 12, 2023 9:27 AM CDT
FDA Has a New Rule for Gay, Bisexual Blood Donors
Gay, bisexual men in monogamous relationships can now donate without abstaining from sex
- Gay and bisexual men in monogamous relationships can give blood in the US without abstaining from sex under updated federal health guidelines that focus on donors' behavior, not their sexual orientation. The Food and Drug Administration guidelines finalized Thursday ease decades-old restrictions designed to protect the blood supply from HIV....
FDA Issues Warning
on Amniotic Fluid
Apr 27, 2023 1:14 PM CDT
FDA Issues Warning on Amniotic Fluid Eye Drops
Agency says products have not been approved
- Amniotic fluid—the fluid that surrounds a fetus in the womb—is among the many things that you shouldn't put in your eyes, the Food and Drug Administration says. In a notification issued earlier this month, the agency said manufacturers are "marketing and distributing amniotic fluid eyedrops" for...
Is Hurting Life
Apr 12, 2023 7:35 PM CDT
Misinformation Is Hurting Life Expectancy: FDA Chief
Robert Califf says Americans are being misled on more than COVID
- Life expectancy is the US has been declining , including in relation to comparable high-income countries, and one federal official says part of the reason is the recent explosion of misinformation. "Why aren’t we using medical products as effectively and efficiently as our peer countries?" Robert Califf, commissioner of...
Fate Uncertain as
Judges Face Off
Apr 8, 2023 5:30 AM CDT
Abortion Pill's Fate Uncertain as Judges Face Off
Texas' Kacsmaryk orders hold on mifepristone access, Washington's Rice orders the opposite
- Access to the most commonly used method of abortion in the US plunged into uncertainty Friday following conflicting court rulings over the legality of the abortion medication mifepristone that has been widely available for more than 20 years. For now, the drug that the Food and Drug Administration approved in...
You Will Be Able
to Buy Narcan OTC
Mar 29, 2023 8:41 AM CDT
You Will Be Able to Buy Narcan OTC
FDA gives the thumbs-up for drug to be sold over the counter
- The FDA on Wednesday approved selling naloxone without a prescription, setting the overdose-reversing drug on course to become the first opioid treatment drug to be sold over the counter. It’s a move that some advocates have long sought as a way to improve access to a life-saving drug, reports...
Migraine Sufferers May Soon
Have Their Very Own 'EpiPen'
Mar 10, 2023 10:48 AM CST
Migraine Sufferers May Soon Have Their Very Own 'EpiPen'
FDA approves zavegepant, or Zavzpret, a fast-acting nasal spray designed to provide pain relief
- A new nasal spray from Pfizer has just been OKed by the Food and Drug Administration, and the company hopes it will be a game changer for the nearly 40 million migraine sufferers in the US. Reuters reports on the FDA's Friday approval of zavegepant, sold under the brand...
Mar 1, 2023 11:30 AM CST
FDA Makes Move Against 'Zombie Dope'
Xylazine, or 'tranq', increasingly found in illicit drug mixes, is subject of new import alert
- The FDA is taking action to restrict unlawful imports of xylazine, an animal tranquilizer increasingly used in the illicit drug market , where it's commonly known as "tranq" or "zombie dope" due to its tendency to cause flesh to rot and die. Horror stories accompany the sedative, which...
FDA Wants to Keep Almond,
Soy Drinks Called 'Milk'
Feb 23, 2023 4:15 PM CST
FDA Wants to Keep Almond, Soy Drinks Called 'Milk'
Dairy producers have pushed for labeling changes
- Soy, oat, almond, and other drinks that bill themselves as milk can keep using the name, according to draft federal rules released Wednesday. Food and Drug Administration officials issued guidance that says plant-based beverages don't pretend to be from dairy animals – and that US consumers aren't confused...
FDA to Make Big Move
on Blood Donation Rules
Jan 27, 2023 1:00 PM CST
FDA to Make Big Move on Blood Donation Rules
No more automatic 3-month waiting for gay, bi men, per proposal
- A big change looks to be coming to the Food & Drug Administration's long-criticized guidelines for blood donors as it relates to the LGBTQ community. Bloomberg reports that the agency is seeking to ease its restrictions on gay and bisexual men, who, under the current policy, have had to...
The FDA Has
Just Approved a
Drug That Costs
$3.5M a Dose
Nov 23, 2022 10:45 AM CST
The FDA Has Just Approved a Drug That Costs $3.5M a Dose
Hemgenix is a one-time treatment for the blood-clotting disorder hemophilia
- US health regulators on Tuesday approved the first gene therapy for hemophilia, a $3.5 million one-time treatment for the blood-clotting disorder. The FDA cleared Hemgenix: It's an IV treatment for adults with hemophilia B, the less common form of the genetic disorder, reports the AP . Currently, patients receive...
Thanks to FDA, Women Will
Be Told of Their Breast Density
Oct 26, 2022 3:08 PM CDT
Thanks to FDA, Women Will Be Told of Their Breast Density
Those with dense breasts may want to do more than the standard mammogram
- Women are told to start getting mammograms at 40. What they may not be told is what kind of breast density they have—though that's about to change, thanks to the FDA. It's no small detail: As Dr. Sarah Friedewald, the chief of breast imaging at Northwestern Medicine,...
Patients Griped About It.
Now the FDA Confirms It
Oct 15, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
Patients Griped About It. Now the FDA Confirms It
Agency makes it official: There's a nationwide Adderall shortage
- There've been rumblings for months at some US pharmacies on difficulties obtaining Adderall. Now, official word from the Food and Drug Administration: There's a US shortage of the medication used to treat ADHD, reports NBC News . In a Wednesday release , the FDA announced the dearth of the drug,...
FDA: This Is a Really Bad
Way to Cook Chicken
Sep 20, 2022 11:11 PM CDT
FDA: This Is a Really Bad Way to Cook Chicken
Agency issues warning on NyQuil challenge
- The Food and Drug Administration wants Americans to know that cooking chicken in cough syrup is as bad an idea as it sounds. In an FDA warning about social media challenges, the agency referred to a TikTok video that showed somebody cooking chicken in NyQuil cough and cold medication, which...
For Birth Control Access in the
US, a 'Groundbreaking Moment'
Jul 11, 2022 8:57 AM CDT
For Birth Control Access in the US, a 'Groundbreaking Moment'
HRA Pharma submits application to FDA for nation's first over-the-counter birth control pill
- Ever since the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade last month, effectively banning abortion in states that choose to, reproductive rights advocates have worried that contraception might be the next target of conservative activists and lawmakers. One company is now trying to dismantle at least some of the barriers to...
Have to Pull
Its E-Cigs Yet
Jul 6, 2022 12:29 AM CDT
Juul Actually Doesn't Have to Pull Its E-Cigs Yet
FDA temporarily suspends its order banning the products
- The Food and Drug Administration issued an administrative stay Tuesday on the order it issued last month for vaping company Juul to pull its electronic cigarettes from the market. The agency said on Twitter that the stay temporarily suspends the marketing denial order while it conducts further review, but does...
Amid Criticism on
News of a 3rd
Jun 23, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Amid Criticism on FDA Response, News of a 3rd Infant Death
FDA says investigation is in early stages on baby said to have consumed Abbott baby formula
- The FDA has learned about the third death of an infant who reportedly consumed Abbott Laboratories' baby formula, linked to bacterial contamination. The agency said it received a consumer complaint related to the January death on June 10, per the
Wall Street Journal
. It had already disclosed that four infants...
FDA Advisers Endorse
Vaccines Starting at 6 Months
Jun 15, 2022 6:30 PM CDT
FDA Advisers Endorse Vaccines Starting at 6 Months
Age group is the only one without access to COVID vaccines in US
- COVID-19 shots for US infants, toddlers, and preschoolers moved a step closer to reality on Wednesday. The Food and Drug Administration's vaccine advisers gave a thumbs-up to vaccines from Moderna and Pfizer for the littlest kids. The outside experts voted unanimously that the benefits of the shots outweigh any...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
9-Year-Old Who Vanished While Camping Is Found Safe
She's Expected to Be a Senator in 2 Days
Crews Cleaning Storm Debris May Have Solved a Cold Case
Married Couple Killed by Grizzly Bear in Banff
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.