Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
'Special' T. Rex Skeleton
Sold at Auction for $6.2M
Apr 18, 2023 6:57 PM CDT
'Special' T. Rex Skeleton Sold at Auction for $6.2M
'Trinity' is first T. rex ever sold in Europe
- A 67-million-year-old Tyrannosaurus rex skeleton might have had puny arms, but sold for a hefty $6.2 million at Zurich's Koller auction house. The BBC reports the 38-foot-long and nearly 13-foot-tall fossil "is one of the most spectacular T. rex skeletons in existence," though it's actually...
We May Have to Rethink
Our Image of T. Rex's Face
in case you missed it
Apr 2, 2023 11:10 AM CDT
We May Have to Rethink Our Image of T. Rex's Face
Study suggests the dinosaur had lizard lips, not bare fangs
- Movies like
have given us a bare-fanged image of the Tyrannosaurus Rex that only enhanced its fearsome legacy. Now researchers believe the dinosaurs' predator king might have had more in common appearance-wise with modern lizards, namely lizard-like lips covering its teeth. The
Wall Street Journal
reports that a...
This May Be
in T. Rex Evolution
Nov 29, 2022 10:05 AM CST
This May Be 'Missing Link' in T. Rex Evolution
Ancestor 'Daspletosaurus wilsoni' offers further evidence of linear evolution
- Paleontologists have uncovered a new species of tyrannosaur that they say serves as a "missing link" in the evolution of
. Experts from the Badlands Dinosaur Museum in North Dakota were digging at the Judith River Formation in Montana in 2017 when paleontologist Jack Wilson spotted a flat...
Sue the T. Rex's Jawbone
Contains 8 Baffling Holes
Oct 4, 2022 11:25 AM CDT
Sue the T. Rex's Jawbone Contains 8 Baffling Holes
Researchers rule out one possible cause
- Sue is thought to be one of the best preserved Tyrannosaurus rex specimens ever unearthed—and that stellar preservation extends to the eight holes in her jawbone. Those holes have long been a mystery, and the upshot of a new study published in
is that they remain a...
Most Americans Don't Want
a Real-Life Jurassic Park
Apr 27, 2022 7:43 AM CDT
Most Americans Don't Want a Real-Life Jurassic Park
Majority are against bringing dinosaurs back from extinction, if that were an option, per YouGov poll
- If you've ever fantasized about a world in which T. rex once more roamed the Earth, you're in a small minority. YouGov recently surveyed 2,000 American adults on how they felt about helping save endangered species, or even bringing back extinct ones, and the majority answered that...
World's Most Expensive Fossil
Mar 24, 2022 12:50 PM CDT
World's Most Expensive Fossil Vanished.
Stan the T. rex has been hiding in UAE, getting ready to be displayed in Abu Dhabi museum
- When one of the largest and most complete
fossils ever found sold at a Christie's auction for $31.8 million in October 2020, experts worried the 39-foot-long specimen would be lost to the public, and to research. That prompted
to go looking for Stan, as...
T. Rex Is Actually 3 Species
Mar 2, 2022 8:52 AM CST
Controversial Take: T. Rex Is Actually 3 Species
Research team wants 'tyrant lizard king' joined by an 'emperor' and 'queen'
- Tyrannosaurus rex is the most intensively studied dinosaur in the world. Yet generations of paleontologists have failed to notice that T. rex is not a unique species but actually three, according to new research published Tuesday in
. "This paper is likely to rock the paleo community, and...
Mass T. Rex Death Site
Births a Terrifying Theory
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Apr 25, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
Mass T. Rex Death Site Births a Terrifying Theory
The dino predators may have hunted in packs: researchers
- Imagine being chased by a Tyrannosaurus rex. Now imagine being chased by six. That might've been the scenario for T. rex prey, according to new research suggesting the dino predator hunted in packs like wolves. The theory stems from a site discovered in 2014 at the Grand Staircase-Escalante National...
Experts Roaring Over
Rare T. Rex on eBay
Apr 17, 2019 7:21 AM CDT
Experts Roaring Over Rare T. Rex on eBay
Skeleton, likely of a juvenile, could be lost to science
- What is touted as the only known fossil of a juvenile T. Rex is up for grabs on eBay—which came as quite a shock to the museum showcasing it. The 68 million-year-old skeleton found on private land in Montana in 2013 was on loan to the University of Kansas...
the 'Rex of Rexes'
Mar 28, 2019 11:36 AM CDT
Scientists Unearth the 'Rex of Rexes'
'Scotty' weighed more than 19K pounds, the biggest T. Rex ever found
- It took a long time to unearth, but it’s a whopper: Paleontologists have announced the discovery of the largest Tyrannosaurus rex ever found. With a skeleton measuring 42 feet, the giant dinosaur is estimated to have weighed in at over 19,400 pounds, reports ABC News . “Scotty,"...
Mighty T. Rex Had
a Pipsqueak Predecessor
Feb 21, 2019 10:44 AM CST
Mighty T. Rex Had a Pipsqueak Predecessor
Moros intrepidus stood 3 to 4 feet tall
- Tyrannosaurus rex may have been the fiercest dinosaur on the planet just before the creatures went extinct, but even T-rex had humble beginnings. A new fossil found in Utah shows that an earlier iteration of the behemoth stood just 3 feet to 4 feet tall and weighed about 170 pounds....
Spruce Up Your Yard
With Giant Dino
May 12, 2018 1:30 PM CDT
Spruce Up Your Yard With Giant Dino Skeleton
The Jurassic-era specimen is likely to fetch over $1M
- It was nearly 30 feet long and 9 feet tall when it died about 155 million years ago, and it could be yours for a cool million or two dollars. A Jurassic-era dinosaur skeleton discovered in Wyoming in 2013 is going to be auctioned off in Paris, at the Eiffel...
T-Rex Puts On
Mar 23, 2018 7:00 AM CDT
T-Rex Puts On Spectacular but Unintended Show
Giant animatronic dinosaur goes up in flames at theme park in Colorado
- The co-owner of a dinosaur-themed park in southern Colorado thinks an electrical malfunction caused a life-size animatronic Tyrannosaurus Rex to burst into flames. Zach Reynolds says the T-Rex at the Royal Gorge Dinosaur Experience in Canon City smoldered for about 10 minutes before it caught fire Thursday morning, per the...
Maine City Throws
Itself a T. Rex Party
Jan 21, 2018 8:39 AM CST
Maine City Throws Itself a T. Rex Party
T. Rex apparently likes to dance the Chicken
- His name means "king of the tyrant lizards," but sometimes Tyrannosaurus rex just wants to party. Make that many T. rexes. Hundreds of curious people on Saturday descended on Monument Square in Portland, Maine, to observe a gathering of dinosaur lovers dressed as the science museum staple. There...
Tiny T. Rex Arms
We Laugh At May
Have Been 'Vicious'
Nov 6, 2017 9:35 AM CST
Tiny T. Rex Arms We Laugh At May Have Been 'Vicious'
Scientist thinks they may have been used for powerful slashing
- It's a physical mismatch that's long puzzled paleontologists: Tyrannosaurus rex, terror of the Cretaceous Period, empowered with a giant head and ferocious jaws, yet also stuck with tiny, seemingly useless arms. Per
, scientists' speculation on the arms has included using them to hang onto prey, as...
T. Rex Just Got
a Lot Less Scary
Jul 19, 2017 8:34 PM CDT
T. Rex Just Got a Lot Less Scary
New research shows beast could only travel up to 12mph
had us all fooled: Outstripping a Tyrannosaurus rex in a Jeep would've been easy-peasy because, well, T. rex couldn't run. After much debate about how fast T. rex moved—previous estimates suggested up to 45 miles per hour—scientists at the University of Manchester used advanced...
In Scales vs. Feathers Dino
Debate, Some New Evidence
Jun 8, 2017 11:03 AM CDT
In Scales vs. Feathers Dino Debate, Some New Evidence
T. rex skin fossil suggests the carnivore was scaled
- Just when you were getting used to the idea of dinosaurs being covered in downy feathers , new evidence suggests that this theory may not apply to one of natural history’s most famous carnivores.
reports that though cousins of the
likely sported feathers, a new study examining...
T. Rex Had a Bite So
Powerful It's Hard to Fathom
May 17, 2017 1:06 PM CDT
T. Rex Had a Bite So Powerful It's Hard to Fathom
Chompers came down with equivalent force of 3 small cars
- Scientists already knew Tyrannosaurus rex had a ferocious bite, but a new study in Scientific Reports spells out in detail just how fearsome it was. In terms of raw numbers, they measured the bite force at nearly 8,000 pounds, with the tip of the teeth exerting pressure of around...
Scientists Rethink T. Rex's
Place on Dino Family Tree
Mar 22, 2017 3:01 PM CDT
Scientists Rethink T. Rex's Place on Dino Family Tree
Study puts T. rex and other theropods on a whole new branch
- Tyrannosaurus Rex and his buddies could be on the move as a new study proposes a massive shake-up of the dinosaur family tree, the AP reports. Scientists who took a deeper look at dinosaur fossils suggest a different evolutionary history for dinosaurs, moving theropods such as T. Rex to a...
One of Most Complete T. Rex
Skulls Ever Arrives at Museum
Aug 19, 2016 5:27 PM CDT
One of Most Complete T. Rex Skulls Ever Arrives at Museum
'An iconic specimen'
- It may look like a giant rock right now, but inside is what dinosaur expert Jack Horner calls "one of the most significant" Tyrannosaurus rex specimens ever found, the AP reports. According to the
, a 2,500-pound, plaster-encased lump of dirt and rock arrived at the Burke...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Motherhood May Bring On Interesting Quirk
Bundchen: 'Now I'm Living,' Not Just 'Surviving'
Cops Drew Their Guns. They Didn't Expect What Came Next
'Open Secret' at Chicken Slaughterhouses: Kids at Work
Missing Star Wars Relic Turns Up in a Garage
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.