Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
American Nurse, Daughter
Abducted in Haiti Are Freed
Aug 9, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
American Nurse, Daughter Abducted in Haiti Are Freed
Alix Dorsainvil works for the nonprofit group El Roi Haiti
- An American nurse and her young daughter who were kidnapped in Haiti two weeks ago have been freed, reports ABC News . Details are scant, but Alix Dorsainvil and her child are said to be safe. Dorsainvil works as a nurse for the religious and humanitarian aid group El Roi Haiti,...
Haitians Decry Kidnappings
of American Nurse, Daughter
Jul 31, 2023 5:25 PM CDT
Haitians Decry Kidnappings of American Nurse, Daughter
They were seized last week
- Chants of "freedom" echoed Monday through the streets outside an aid facility in Haiti's capital, where just days earlier an American nurse and her daughter were kidnapped by armed men. Hundreds of Haitians marched through the gang-ravaged zone of Port-au-Prince, bursting with anger at the abduction, which has...
Kidnapped in Haiti
Jul 30, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
American, Daughter Kidnapped in Haiti
- A woman from New Hampshire who works for a nonprofit organization in Haiti and her young daughter have been reported to be kidnapped as the US State Department issued a "do not travel advisory." US officials ordered nonemergency personnel to leave Haiti amid growing security concerns, the AP...
Blinken: Multinational Force
Is Needed in Haiti
Jul 5, 2023 7:10 PM CDT
Blinken: Multinational Force Is Needed in Haiti
US will have to play a 'crucial role,' another leader says
- Secretary of State Antony Blinken said Wednesday that a multinational force is needed to help Haiti's National Police restore order, echoing recent appeals made by UN officials who warn that the country's insecurity is worsening. Blinken briefly spoke about Haiti and other issues during a one-day trip to...
Gang Kidnaps Florida Couple
Mar 28, 2023 2:29 AM CDT
Gang Kidnaps Florida Couple
Haiti gang is demanding $200K ransom per person
- Nikese Toussaint was at church, so she didn’t see the text message from her sister. All she knew at that point was that their brother and his wife, who live in Florida, had landed safely in Haiti to visit ailing relatives and prepare for Rara, a colorful and boisterous...
Haiti President's Killing
Was Planned in Florida
Feb 15, 2023 9:11 AM CST
Haiti President's Killing Was Planned in Florida
4 South Florida residents arrested, including 2 accused of devising the plan
- Another four South Florida residents have been arrested for alleged roles in the 2021 assassination of Haitian President Jovenel Moise. A year and a half into their investigation, US federal authorities believe Moise was killed in an attempted coup that went awry. Dozens of suspects have been arrested, including several...
Amid Death Threats,
Suspects in Haiti
Assassination Sent to US
Feb 1, 2023 2:30 AM CST
Amid Death Threats, Suspects in Haiti Assassination Sent to US
7 suspects in president's slaying now in US custody
- Four key suspects in the killing of Haitian President Jovenel Moïse were transferred to the United States for prosecution as the case stagnates in Haiti amid death threats that have spooked local judges, US officials announced Tuesday. The suspects now in custody of the US government include James Solages,...
Jan 27, 2023 4:10 PM CST
Police Riot Over Gangs Killing Officers
Demonstrators in Haiti go to prime minister's residence
- Police became rioters in Haiti's capital, protesting government inaction after gangs killed their fellow officers. News reports said the demonstrators breached the gates of the prime minister's residence in Port-au-Prince on Thursday and tried to invade the airport, per the BBC . They shot into the air, blocked roads,...
In Haiti, an 'Alarming'
Jan 11, 2023 11:10 AM CST
In Haiti, an 'Alarming' Political Development
The country is now without a single lawmaker in its House or Senate
- Haiti awoke Tuesday stripped of its last democratically elected institution—this time, its Senate—an alarming development that solidifies what some call a de facto dictatorship nominally in charge of a country wracked by gang violence. While only 10 senators had been symbolically representing the nation's 11 million people...
Haitians Experiencing 'New
Levels of Desperation'
Sep 27, 2022 4:41 PM CDT
Haitians Experiencing 'New Levels of Desperation'
Fuel shortage, gang violence, political impasse have triggered major humanitarian crisis
- "The situation in Haiti has sadly reached new levels of desperation," the World Food Program’s executive director Valerie Guarnieri told the UN Security Council on Monday during an emergency meeting about the Caribbean nation’s spiraling humanitarian crisis. Per the BBC, the Security Council also heard from...
a Year After
Jul 7, 2022 6:15 PM CDT
Haiti in 'Grim' State a Year After President's Murder
Extreme gang violence, broken economy, kids out of school plague Caribbean island after Moise killing
- It's been exactly a year since Haitian President Jovenel Moise was assassinated in his private residence, and the state of things in the Caribbean nation has only gotten worse, with a proliferation of gang violence, a despairing populace, and a "seeming state of lawlessness" in parts. That's...
11 Dead, 31 Rescued After
Helicopter Spots Capsized Boat
May 13, 2022 12:10 AM CDT
11 Dead, 31 Rescued After Helicopter Spots Capsized Boat
Boat loaded with suspected migrants overturned near Puerto Rico
- A boat loaded with suspected migrants capsized north of an uninhabited island near Puerto Rico and 11 people had been confirmed dead while 20 men and 11 women were rescued Thursday, authorities said. It wasn't immediately clear how many people were aboard the boat when it turned over, said...
Missionary Workers: Unknown
Person Paid Ransom to Free Us
Jan 6, 2022 6:06 AM CST
Missionary Workers: Unknown Person Paid Ransom to Free Us
Only 3 were initially released in deal meant to free all after gang reneged, CAM workers say
An unidentified person paid a ransom that freed three missionaries kidnapped by a gang in Haiti under an agreement that was supposed to have led to the release of all 15 remaining captives early last month, workers for the Ohio-based group confirm, per the AP . The person who made...
Haiti Assassination Suspect
Arrested During Stopover
Jan 4, 2022 5:27 PM CST
Haiti Assassination Suspect Arrested During Stopover
Mario Palacios is now in US custody
- US authorities have taken custody of a main suspect in the killing of Haitian president Jovenel Moïse, and he is scheduled to appear Tuesday in federal court in Miami. Mario Antonio Palacios was arrested in Jamaica in October and was scheduled to fly to his native Colombia on Monday....
Haiti Missionaries Say They
Used Stars to Guide Escape
Dec 21, 2021 12:37 AM CST
Haiti Missionaries Say They Used Stars to Guide Escape
Dramatic account by Christian Aid Ministries has not been independently verified
- The missionaries freed last week after having been abducted in Haiti in October are telling their story. A spokesperson for Christian Aid Ministries spoke at a news conference in Ohio, the BBC reports, giving a dramatic account that, the
New York Times
notes, has not been independently verified. He says...
At Least 40 Killed,
Dozens Injured in
Gas Truck Explosion
Dec 14, 2021 7:45 AM CST
At Least 40 Killed, Dozens Injured in Gas Truck Explosion
The explosion took place late Monday in the Haitian city of Cap-Haitien
- A truck carrying gasoline exploded in northern Haiti, killing more than 40 people and injuring dozens of others, officials and news reports said Tuesday. The blast occurred late Monday in the city of Cap-Haitien, Prime Minister Ariel Henry said, adding that he was devastated. Henry said his administration was deploying...
Haitian Gang Frees 3 Abducted
Members of US Charity
Dec 6, 2021 10:00 AM CST
Haitian Gang Frees 3 Abducted Members of US Charity
But 12 from Christian Aid Ministries remain kidnapped
Three more missionaries from a US-based charity have been released by their kidnappers in Haiti, reports the
. That leaves 12 members of Christian Aid Ministries still in captivity. All 17 were kidnapped by the 400 Mawozo gang in October. Five children were among those taken, though no...
US Issues Rare Warning
to Americans in Haiti
Nov 11, 2021 11:54 AM CST
US Issues Rare Warning to Americans in Haiti
Leave while you can amid severe fuel shortages, says State Department
- The US government is urging American citizens to leave Haiti because of the country’s deepening insecurity and a severe lack of fuel that has affected hospitals, schools, and banks, per the AP . The rare warning from the State Department comes as Haiti’s government and police are struggling to...
Gang Leader Threatens
to Kill Missionaries in Haiti
Oct 21, 2021 4:20 PM CDT
Gang Leader Threatens to Kill Missionaries in Haiti
Ohio group asks for prayers for kidnappers and victims
- The leader of the 400 Mawozo gang that police say is holding 17 members of a missionary group is seen in a video released Thursday saying he will kill them if he doesn't get what he’s demanding . The video posted on social media shows Wilson Joseph dressed in...
Kidnappers of Americans
in Haiti Make Their Demand
Oct 19, 2021 8:35 AM CDT
Kidnappers of Americans in Haiti Make Their Demand
The group called 400 Mawozo wants $17M, $1M for each person taken
- The Haitian group that kidnapped 16 American missionaries and another from Canada has named its price—it wants $17M, or $1 million for each person taken, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. Now the negotiating begins as more light is shed on what happened. Details:
All those kidnapped are Mennonites
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
16-Year-Old Arrested After Felling of Iconic Tree
Winners, Losers From the GOP Debate
Florida Man Bitten 41 Times by Rabid Otter
Arrest Made in Murder of Young Baltimore Tech CEO
Body of Colorado Woman Missing Since 2020 Found
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.