Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Missionary Workers: Unknown
Person Paid Ransom to Free Us
Jan 6, 2022 6:06 AM CST
Missionary Workers: Unknown Person Paid Ransom to Free Us
Only 3 were initially released in deal meant to free all after gang reneged, CAM workers say
An unidentified person paid a ransom that freed three missionaries kidnapped by a gang in Haiti under an agreement that was supposed to have led to the release of all 15 remaining captives early last month, workers for the Ohio-based group confirm, per the AP . The person who made...
Haiti Assassination Suspect
Arrested During Stopover
Jan 4, 2022 5:27 PM CST
Haiti Assassination Suspect Arrested During Stopover
Mario Palacios is now in US custody
- US authorities have taken custody of a main suspect in the killing of Haitian president Jovenel Moïse, and he is scheduled to appear Tuesday in federal court in Miami. Mario Antonio Palacios was arrested in Jamaica in October and was scheduled to fly to his native Colombia on Monday....
Haiti Missionaries Say They
Used Stars to Guide Escape
Dec 21, 2021 12:37 AM CST
Haiti Missionaries Say They Used Stars to Guide Escape
Dramatic account by Christian Aid Ministries has not been independently verified
- The missionaries freed last week after having been abducted in Haiti in October are telling their story. A spokesperson for Christian Aid Ministries spoke at a news conference in Ohio, the BBC reports, giving a dramatic account that, the
New York Times
notes, has not been independently verified. He says...
At Least 40 Killed,
Dozens Injured in
Gas Truck Explosion
Dec 14, 2021 7:45 AM CST
At Least 40 Killed, Dozens Injured in Gas Truck Explosion
The explosion took place late Monday in the Haitian city of Cap-Haitien
- A truck carrying gasoline exploded in northern Haiti, killing more than 40 people and injuring dozens of others, officials and news reports said Tuesday. The blast occurred late Monday in the city of Cap-Haitien, Prime Minister Ariel Henry said, adding that he was devastated. Henry said his administration was deploying...
Haitian Gang Frees 3 Abducted
Members of US Charity
Dec 6, 2021 10:00 AM CST
Haitian Gang Frees 3 Abducted Members of US Charity
But 12 from Christian Aid Ministries remain kidnapped
Three more missionaries from a US-based charity have been released by their kidnappers in Haiti, reports the
. That leaves 12 members of Christian Aid Ministries still in captivity. All 17 were kidnapped by the 400 Mawozo gang in October. Five children were among those taken, though no...
US Issues Rare Warning
to Americans in Haiti
Nov 11, 2021 11:54 AM CST
US Issues Rare Warning to Americans in Haiti
Leave while you can amid severe fuel shortages, says State Department
- The US government is urging American citizens to leave Haiti because of the country’s deepening insecurity and a severe lack of fuel that has affected hospitals, schools, and banks, per the AP . The rare warning from the State Department comes as Haiti’s government and police are struggling to...
Gang Leader Threatens
to Kill Missionaries in Haiti
Oct 21, 2021 4:20 PM CDT
Gang Leader Threatens to Kill Missionaries in Haiti
Ohio group asks for prayers for kidnappers and victims
- The leader of the 400 Mawozo gang that police say is holding 17 members of a missionary group is seen in a video released Thursday saying he will kill them if he doesn't get what he’s demanding . The video posted on social media shows Wilson Joseph dressed in...
Kidnappers of Americans
in Haiti Make Their Demand
Oct 19, 2021 8:35 AM CDT
Kidnappers of Americans in Haiti Make Their Demand
The group called 400 Mawozo wants $17M, $1M for each person taken
- The Haitian group that kidnapped 16 American missionaries and another from Canada has named its price—it wants $17M, or $1 million for each person taken, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. Now the negotiating begins as more light is shed on what happened. Details:
All those kidnapped are Mennonites
Harrowing Message Reported
Kidnapping in Haiti
Oct 18, 2021 6:22 AM CDT
Harrowing Message Reported During Americans' Kidnapping in Haiti
'Pray for us!' said WhatsApp message during abduction of 17 missionaries in Haiti
- US officials are working with Haitian authorities to secure the release of 12 adults and five children with a US-based missionary group who were abducted over the weekend by a gang notorious for killings, kidnappings, and extortion. The group was snatched by the 400 Mawozo gang, which controls the Croix-des-Bouquets...
Haiti Gang Kidnaps 17 US
Missionaries, Including Kids
Oct 17, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
Haiti Gang Kidnaps 17 US Missionaries, Including Kids
The Christian group was on a bus headed to the airport
- A group of up to 17 US missionaries from a Christian group was kidnapped by a gang in Haiti while en route to the airport in Port-au-Prince. Per the
New York Times
, Haiti officials confirmed the kidnapping, with few details, after Ohio-based Christian Aid Ministries sent a voice message about...
Biden Whiffing on 2 Big
Promises of His Presidency
Sep 24, 2021 12:04 PM CDT
Biden Whiffing on 2 Big Promises of His Presidency
Promise of 'low drama and high competency' unfulfilled for now, writes analyst Amy Walter
- Joe Biden's poll numbers are going south . An average of polls at FiveThirtyEight shows that more people disapprove (49%) of him than approve (45%), a sharp reversal from the start of his presidency, when 53% approved and 36% disapproved. The decline has largely occurred over the last two months,...
State Department Fires Back
at Exiting US Envoy to Haiti
Sep 23, 2021 2:25 PM CDT
State Department Fires Back at Exiting US Envoy to Haiti
Diplomat accuses US of 'inhumane' policies, and the department says he's distorting facts
- The Biden administration’s special envoy to Haiti has resigned, protesting "inhumane" large-scale expulsions of Haitian migrants to their homeland as it is wracked by civil strife and natural disaster, US officials said Thursday. Daniel Foote was appointed to the position in July, following the assassination of Haitian President...
to Deter Surge
Sep 22, 2021 6:57 AM CDT
Texas Creates 'Steel Barrier' to Deter Surge of Migrants
As thousands remain under Del Rio International Bridge
- Texas' latest move to deter the unprecedented number of migrants surging into the state: a "steel barrier" that stretches for miles. No, it's not an actual wall; as CNN explains, Texas National Guard and Texas Department of Public Safety vehicles are parked along the border, Texas Gov. Greg...
Back to Haiti
Sep 19, 2021 5:10 PM CDT
US Starts Flying Migrants Back to Haiti
Prime minister welcomes them back, though another official says there are no jobs
- The US acted Sunday to stem the flow of migrants into Texas by blocking the Mexican border at an isolated town where thousands of Haitian refugees set up a camp under a bridge , and American officials began flying some of the migrants back to their homeland. Border Patrol Chief Raul...
Progress' on Plan
to Deal With Surge
Sep 18, 2021 9:00 AM CDT
Official: 'Good Progress' on Plan to Deal With Surge of Migrants
Deportation flights may ramp up Sunday to deal with influx of Haitians at Texas-Mexico border
- The Biden administration worked Saturday on plans to send many of the thousands of Haitian immigrants who've gathered in a Texas border city back to their Caribbean homeland, in a swift response to the huge influx of people who suddenly crossed the border from Mexico and congregated under and...
Thousands of Haitians
Are Stuck Under Texas Bridge
Sep 17, 2021 10:04 AM CDT
Thousands of Haitians Are Stuck Under Texas Bridge
Surge in border crossings has created what Ted Cruz calls a 'manmade disaster'
- A surge in migrants across the southern border has created a potential humanitarian crisis in Texas—and more headaches for the Biden administration. More than 10,000 migrants, most of them Haitian, are camped under a Texas bridge in conditions that local officials liken to a shantytown, the
Haiti's Leader Fires Prosecutor
Who Wanted Him Indicted
Sep 15, 2021 3:12 PM CDT
Haiti's Leader Fires Prosecutor Who Wanted Him Indicted
Chief prosecutor accused Ariel Henry of involvement in president's assassination
: Haiti's prime minister has fired a prosecutor who asked a judge to charge him in connection with the assassination of President Jovenel Moise. Chief prosecutor Bed-Ford Claude was replaced on the orders of Prime Minister Ariel Henry just hours after he asked for the indictment Tuesday, the AP...
CDC: Postpone Vacation Plans
to These 6 Destinations
in case you missed it
Aug 28, 2021 5:15 PM CDT
CDC: Postpone Vacation Plans to These 6 Destinations
Bahamas, 5 other locations moved onto CDC's list of 'very high' COVID risk
- The CDC's travel advisories list for COVID just received an update, with six nations moving up to Level 4 status, reports CNN . In other words—these are the countries you shouldn't be heading to right now. Ending up in the "Very High" risk category means that these...
Mother, Baby Die After
Haiti Gang Kidnaps Doctor
Aug 20, 2021 1:14 PM CDT
Mother, Baby Die After Haiti Gang Kidnaps Doctor
Another doctor, a desperately needed orthopedic surgeon, also was abducted
- After being hit with a devastating earthquake and then a tropical storm , Haiti clearly did not need this latest problem: Gangs kidnapping doctors. One physician rushing to deliver a baby via emergency C-section was kidnapped in the capital of Haiti Tuesday, and the woman and her baby died. Another doctor,...
Host Now Has
Old Podcast Remarks to Explain
Aug 19, 2021 9:40 AM CDT
Host Now Has Old Podcast Remarks to Explain
Mike Richards' 2013-'14 comments on women, Jews, and Haiti are raising eyebrows
- When it was revealed earlier this month that Mike Richards, the new permanent host of the regular version of
, had been named in discrimination lawsuits during his time as a producer on
The Price Is Right
, he insisted that those complaints "[do] not reflect the reality of who...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Secrets of Playboy 's Hugh Hefner Allegations Are Graphic
'Stealth Omicron' Has Arrived in the US
After 6 Years in Jail for Staying Mum on Gold, a New Roadblock
Man Fired, Charged After Rant in Smoothie Store
In This City, a US First on Gun Ownership
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.