Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
2023's World Cup
Has a Cinderella Team
Aug 3, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
2023's World Cup Has a Cinderella Team
Women's team from Jamaica knocks Brazil out of Women's World Cup, advances to next round
- It's been a tough battle to keep the Jamaican women's soccer team funded and functional over the years, but on Wednesday, all of those efforts paid off as the players knocked Brazil out of the Women's World Cup tournament with a 0-0 draw, advancing to the next...
As William, Kate Visit,
Jamaican PM Makes
Mar 24, 2022 10:55 AM CDT
As William, Kate Visit, Jamaican PM Makes Surprise Announcement
He says island will seek full independence
- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's trip to Jamaica might go down in history as one of the least successful royal visits on record. During an official welcome Wednesday, Jamaican Prime Minister Andrew Holness unexpectedly announced that the island nation is planning to become fully independent, which would involve...
Jamaicans to William,
Kate: Say Sorry
Mar 23, 2022 5:38 AM CDT
Jamaicans to William, Kate: Say Sorry
Protests, demand for reparations in advance of duke and duchess's visit
- Dozens of well-known leaders in Jamaica including professors and politicians are demanding an apology and slavery reparations as the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge prepare for a trip to the former British colony, the AP reports. The group is rejecting the visit of Prince William and Kate scheduled for Tuesday,...
'It Will Be Fire on Ice' in Beijing
for Jamaican Bobsled Team
Jan 19, 2022 2:17 PM CST
'It Will Be Fire on Ice' in Beijing for Jamaican Bobsled Team
4-man team qualifies for first time in 24 years
- For the first time in more than two decades, a four-man bobsled team from Jamaica is heading to the Olympics. The team secured its spot in the Beijing Games on Monday, proclaiming on Instagram , "It will be fire on ice." NBC News reports the island nation’s last...
Won Gold Thanks
Got Him to the Race
Aug 12, 2021 8:54 AM CDT
Hurdler Who Won Gold Thanks Volunteer Who Got Him to the Race
Hansle Parchment almost missed his chance at Olympic medal after he went to wrong venue
- If your mother always told you give yourself plenty of time to get to the airport, or to your Olympic 110-meter hurdling competition, we hope you've listened. Hansle Parchment will likely leave the house way early from now on, after the Jamaican hurdler almost missed his chance to compete...
Jamaica Running Low on Weed
Feb 8, 2021 10:05 AM CST
'Cultural Embarrassment:' Jamaica Running Low on Weed
Rain, drought, pandemic, legalization, fewer farmers all mean less ganja on the island
- Jamaica is running low on ganja. Heavy rains followed by an extended drought, an increase in local consumption, and a drop in the number of marijuana farmers have caused a shortage in the island's famed but largely illegal market that experts say is the worst they've seen. "...
Rain From Latest
Measure in Feet,
Nov 3, 2020 12:01 AM CST
Rain From Latest Hurricane Could Measure in Feet, Not Inches
Hurricane Eta threatens flooding in Central America
- Hurricane Eta erupted quickly into a potentially catastrophic major hurricane Monday as it headed for Central America, where forecasters warned of massive flooding and landslides across a vulnerable region, the AP reports. Eta was a Category 4 storm with maximum sustained winds of 150mph late Monday, the US National Hurricane...
Powerful New Hurricane
Heads to Central America
Nov 2, 2020 7:00 PM CST
Powerful New Hurricane Heads to Central America
Some places could get 25 to 35 inches of rain
- Hurricane Eta erupted quickly into a potentially catastrophic major hurricane Monday as it headed for Central America, where forecasters warned of massive flooding and landslides across a vulnerable region. Eta had maximum sustained winds of 120mph and was located about 85 miles east of the Nicaragua-Honduras border, according to the...
A Father of Reggae
Is Dead at 77
Sep 12, 2020 8:30 AM CDT
A Father of Reggae Is Dead at 77
Toots Hibbert of Toots & the Maytals had been in a medically induced coma since earlier this month
- Toots Hibbert, one of reggae's founders and most beloved stars who gave the music its name and later helped make it an international movement through such classics as "Pressure Drop," "Monkey Man," and "Funky Kingston," has died. He was 77. Hibbert, frontman of...
7.7 Quake Triggers
Jan 28, 2020 3:33 PM CST
7.7 Quake Triggers Tsunami Threat
Buildings shook as far as Miami
- The US Geological Survey says a powerful magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck south of Cuba and northwest of Jamaica on Tuesday, the AP reports. It was centered 86 miles northwest of Montego Bay, Jamaica, and 87 miles west-southwest of Niquero, Cuba. It hit at 2:10pm EST and the epicenter...
Harris' Dad: Ancestors 'Must
Be Turning in Their Grave'
Feb 21, 2019 9:45 AM CST
Harris' Dad: Ancestors 'Must Be Turning in Their Grave'
He accuses her of perpetuating Jamaican stereotype
- "Half my family's from Jamaica, are you kidding me?" Kamala Harris joked in an interview earlier this month while admitting she'd previously smoked pot and "inhaled." The 2020 Democratic candidate is now getting a tongue-lashing from an angry Jamaican: her own father. "Myself and...
US Woman Could Get
Life for Jamaica Lottery Scam
Dec 17, 2018 1:03 AM CST
US Woman Could Get Life for Jamaica Lottery Scam
'Her hands were all over the conspiracy'
- A federal judge in North Dakota on Monday ordered a Rhode Island woman convicted of funneling lottery scam money between the US and Jamaica to remain jailed pending a February sentencing hearing where she could face a stiffer sentence than the alleged mastermind, the AP reports. "Her hands were...
Mother of Fetus Found in
Plane Toilet Identified
Aug 9, 2018 9:20 AM CDT
Mother of Fetus Found in Plane Toilet Identified
18-year-old from Brooklyn may have had 'botched abortion,' per law enforcement officials
- More details are emerging after the gruesome find this week of a fetus in the bathroom of an American Airlines plane at New York's LaGuardia Airport. Law enforcement officials tell the
New York Post
that the mother has been identified as an 18-year-old Brooklyn teen who rushed into the...
'Aunt V,' World's
Dies at 117
Sep 17, 2017 1:45 PM CDT
'Aunt V,' World's Oldest Person, Dies at 117
Jamaica resident Violet Brown credited her long life to hard work, Christian faith
- The world's oldest person has died in Jamaica. Violet Brown was 117 years and 189 days old, the AP reports. The woman known as "Aunt V" died Friday at a local hospital, where she had been treated for heart arrhythmia and dehydration. Prime Minister Andrew Holness expressed his...
2 US Missionaries
Murdered in Jamaica
May 2, 2016 12:25 AM CDT
2 US Missionaries Murdered in Jamaica
Their bodies were found dumped in rural area
- Jamaican police said Sunday that two US missionaries were found slain in a rural area of the Caribbean island that has long struggled with high rates of violent crime. The Jamaica Constabulary Force identified the two men as Randy Hentzel, 48, and Harold Nichols, 53, the AP reports. Their battered...
Apr 15, 2016 10:15 AM CDT
Jamaica Wants to Legalize Pot, Ditch the Queen
That's some 2016-2017 agenda—and there's more
- Jamaican lawmakers have apparently had a lot on their minds lately, as per the government's just-released 2016-2017 legislative agenda, with proposals including amending the country's constitution to dump Queen Elizabeth II as the head of state and make Jamaica a republic, scheduling fixed election dates, ensuring term limits...
Bob Marley-Inspired Novel Wins Booker Prize
Oct 14, 2015 2:06 AM CDT
Bob Marley-Inspired Novel Wins Booker Prize
Marlon James is the first Jamaican winner
- Marlon James became the first Jamaican winner of the prestigious Man Booker Prize for Fiction Tuesday with a vivid, violent, exuberant, and expletive-laden novel based on the attempted assassination of Bob Marley. The chairman of the judging panel said
A Brief History of Seven Killings
was "the most exciting...
Stop in Jamaica:
Apr 9, 2015 6:24 AM CDT
Obama's First Stop in Jamaica: Marley Museum
'I still have all the albums,' he tells guide
- President Obama arrived in Jamaica last night, and his first stop was the Bob Marley museum, the BBC reports. Obama is the first US president to visit Jamaica since Ronald Reagan did so in 1982, and he's apparently a big Marley fan: During his 20 minutes spent touring the...
A Little Pot
Now Not Such
a Big Crime
Feb 25, 2015 8:41 AM CST
A Little Pot Now Not Such a Big Crime in Jamaica
Possession of 2 oz. or less, cultivation of 5 or fewer plants is now 'petty offense'
- Alaska yesterday became the third state to legalize marijuana for recreational use, and now a country where you would have thought that was the case already is moving closer to that goal itself. Jamaica's parliament last night approved a law decriminalizing small amounts of pot, the AP reports. People...
US Couple's Plane
Sep 6, 2014 3:54 PM CDT
US Couple's Plane Crash Stumps Investigators
Larry, Jane Glazer worked to improve Rochester, NY
- Officials have yet to find the wreckage of a plane, flown by a US couple, that crashed near Jamaica , the AP reports. Last night, investigators saw debris that could have been from the plane, but now it's nowhere to be found. "We would have to assume it may...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Trump's Comment Sparks Steps by Milley
Dianne Feinstein Is Dead at 90
16-Year-Old Arrested After Felling of Iconic Tree
27 Years After Tupac Shakur Killing, a Murder Charge
House Approves Amendment to Make Defense Secretary's Salary $1
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.