Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Oct 12, 2022 7:39 AM CDT
Negativity in Senate Races Is 'Overwhelming'
Nastiness on display in Nevada, Pennsylvania, Georgia, and Wisconsin races
- Senate candidates in battleground states are facing an onslaught of ads attacking everything from their character to their preferred sports teams, showing negative campaign tactics have risen "to a new level" this year, the Hill reports. "You turn on the TV, it's overwhelming with the negativity,"...
Sen. Ron Johnson Urged
to Resign After Jan. 6 Hearing
Jun 21, 2022 4:55 PM CDT
Sen. Ron Johnson Urged to Resign After Jan. 6 Hearing
On Jan. 6, aide told Pence team senator wanted to submit different list of electors
- Opponents called for Sen. Ron Johnson to resign Tuesday after it emerged at the Jan. 6 hearings that the Republican had allegedly planned to hand then-Vice President Mike Pence a list of fake pro-Trump electors minutes before Pence started certifying results on Jan. 6, 2021. Text message obtained by the...
Wisconsin GOP Decides
on 'No Endorsement' Option
May 21, 2022 12:15 PM CDT
Wisconsin GOP Decides on 'No Endorsement' Option
Wisconsin candidates for governor will need 60% of delegates' votes
- Wisconsin Republicans agreed Saturday to have a "no endorsement" option when voting on whether to throw the party's official backing behind a candidate in the hotly contested governor's race. The top candidates in the governor's race were slated to make their pitch later Saturday for an...
Jan 9, 2022 11:05 AM CST
Another GOP Senator Says He'll Postpone Retirement
Ron Johnson, who said he wouldn't seek a third term, cites Democratic 'takeover'
- For the second time in two days, a Republican senator on the edge of retiring has decided to instead run for reelection. Victory would bring Sen. Ron Johnson a third term; Johnson previously had told Wisconsin voters he would limit himself to two, WISN reports. Johnson acknowledged that in an...
Speech on COVID
Dinged on YT
Jun 12, 2021 9:15 AM CDT
Senator's Speech on COVID Treatments Gets Dinged on YT
Ron Johnson earns one-week suspension after site says he spread medical misinformation
- Ron Johnson had some thoughts earlier this month on treatments for COVID, and those nuggets have now earned him a one-week suspension from YouTube. The Republican senator from Wisconsin made a June 3 appearance at the Milwaukee Press Club, where he slammed both the Trump and Biden administrations for "...
of 'Big Push'
Apr 23, 2021 1:43 PM CDT
Ron Johnson 'Highly Suspicious' of 'Big Push' on Vaccination
Wisconsin senator says we shouldn't 'shame' people who choose not to get COVID vaccine
- One of the ways health officials say we can start to bring the pandemic to an end is to ensure a high percentage of the population gets vaccinated, achieving herd immunity . That's why comments from Wisconsin Sen. Ron Johnson are bringing heat, with some accusing him of promoting vaccine...
Mar 16, 2021 9:20 AM CDT
Senator Accuses Left of Distorting His Words
Ron Johnson defends comparison between Capitol riot and Black Lives Matter unrest
- Republican Sen. Ron Johnson of Wisconsin took much flak last week when he told interviewer Joe Pags that he was never concerned about his safety during the Capitol riot. "Now, had the tables been turned—Joe, this could get me in trouble—had the tables been turned, and President...
Remarks on Capitol
Riot Draw Cries
Mar 13, 2021 8:30 AM CST
GOP Senator's Remarks on Capitol Riot Draw Cries of Racism
Ron Johnson said he wasn't scared during attack because rioters weren't BLM, antifa
- On a radio program Thursday, Wisconsin Sen. Ron Johnson says he wasn't scared during the Capitol riot on Jan. 6 that left five dead, but his reasoning for why he wasn't in fear as supporters of former President Trump stormed the building has led to accusations of racism...
Mar 5, 2021 2:00 AM CST
Ron Johnson Made Clerks Read 628-Page COVID Bill
The exercise took nearly 11 hours
- Before President Biden's $1.9 trillion COVID-19 relief bill can be voted on by the Senate, all 628 pages had to be read aloud by clerks. That was Republican Sen. Ron Johnson's idea,
reports. He said he doesn't like much of what's in the...
Sen. Ron Johnson: Riot
Was Not an 'Insurrection'
Feb 16, 2021 6:47 AM CST
Sen. Ron Johnson: Riot Was Not an 'Insurrection'
'This didn’t seem like an armed insurrection to me,' says Wisconsin senator
- Wisconsin Sen. Ron Johnson is striking a new theme about the Jan. 6 Capitol riot : It was bad, but nowhere near as bad as Democrats say. The staunch Trump supporter accused Democrats of presenting "highly selectively edited" videos during the impeachment trial to exaggerate the threat, reports the Hill...
'I'm Not Heartless'
Dec 19, 2020 6:30 AM CST
GOP Senator on Blocking Stimulus Checks: 'I'm Not Heartless'
Ron Johnson insists $1,200 checks aren't the way to go, would balloon national debt
- As the end of the year draws near, Capitol Hill is still wrangling with a new COVID relief plan—and this week, one GOP senator made clear his views on stimulus checks to Americans as part of that plan. The Hill reports that on Friday, Republican Sen. Josh Hawley of...
Senator Won't Rule
Electoral College Vote
Dec 9, 2020 6:22 PM CST
Senator Won't Rule Out Challenging Electoral College Vote
YouTube is banning videos alleging election fraud
- Earlier this week, Republican Sen. Mike Braun questioned whether "any one senator would feel comfortable" challenging the Electoral College vote when Congress meets on Jan. 6 to certify it next month. But GOP Sen. Ron Johnson might be the one. The Wisconsin senator, who is chairman of the Senate...
Fly Over Biden
to the GOP'
Aug 1, 2020 11:30 AM CDT
Accusations Fly Over Biden Materials 'Sent to the GOP'
And that's not the only alleged threat to the 2020 election
- As the Nov. 3 presidential vote nears, there are fresh signs that the nation’s electoral system is again under attack from foreign adversaries, the AP reports. Intelligence officials confirmed in recent days that foreign actors are actively seeking to compromise the private communications of "US political campaigns, candidates...
Furor Over Missing FBI Texts,
'Secret Society' Reference
Jan 23, 2018 10:41 AM CST
Furor Over Missing FBI Texts, 'Secret Society' Reference
The president calls it 'one of the biggest stories in a long time'
- The texts called Donald Trump a "loathsome human" —but what did the missing texts say? That's what the Justice Department is trying to find out following the weekend revelation that five months' worth of messages between veteran FBI agent Peter Strzok and FBI lawyer Lisa Page have...
New Texts Out
From FBI Agent
Kicked Off of
Jan 22, 2018 9:31 AM CST
New Texts Out From FBI Agent Kicked Off of Mueller's Team
But FBI is missing about 5 months' worth
- The Justice Department has turned over to Congress additional texts involving an FBI agent who was removed from Robert Mueller's team over derogatory comments about President Trump. But the DOJ also said its record of messages sent to and from the agent, Peter Strzok, was incomplete because the FBI,...
Second Republican Opposes
Senate Tax Plan
Nov 27, 2017 6:10 PM CST
Second Republican Opposes Senate Tax Plan
Steve Daines joins Ron Johnson
- As the Republican leadership in the Senate races to pass a sweeping tax reform bill this week, they're running into opposition from their own members. Two weeks ago, Wisconsin Senator Ron Johnson came out against the bill in its present form, saying it favors large corporations over small businesses,...
GOP Senator Backtracks
After Odd Comments
on McCain's Tumor
Aug 9, 2017 4:32 PM CDT
GOP Senator Backtracks After Odd Comments on McCain's Tumor
Ron Johnson implied tumor might have been factor in McCain's repeal vote
- A GOP senator is backtracking after controversial comments about John McCain Tuesday. Speaking about the Senate's failure to pass a bill repealing ObamaCare on the AM560 radio show
Chicago's Morning Answer
, Sen. Ron Johnson of Wisconsin said, "I'm not gonna speak for John McCain—he has...
Apr 9, 2014 10:12 AM CDT
Secret Service Tightens Booze Rules—Slightly
Supervisor demoted after multiple incidents
- Between suspected drinking and driving and passing out in a hallway , Secret Service agents haven't been exhibiting model behavior recently. Now, some in the service are paying the price. The head of the key special operations division has been demoted, insiders tell the
, while some two dozen...
Here's Why I'm
Jan 6, 2014 12:14 PM CST
Wis. Senator: Here's Why I'm Suing Over ObamaCare
Ron Johnson takes aim at Congress' subsidy
- Ron Johnson thinks he's getting special treatment under the Affordable Care Act—and he's so outraged that he's suing over it. The Wisconsin senator will today file a lawsuit arguing that the Obama administration has violated the law by allowing members of Congress and their staff to...
In 5 Days, ObamaCare
Politics Will Change Forever
Dec 27, 2013 11:47 AM CST
In 5 Days, ObamaCare Politics Will Change Forever
A Ron Johnson quote has Ezra Klein and Evan Soltas excited
- Things will almost certainly go wrong on Jan. 1, when the health care people have been buying from ObamaCare exchanges actually kicks in. People who thought they were covered will find out they're not, or that their plan isn't what they thought it was. But it will also...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Tyre Nichols Video Is Released
Someone Is Hiding Razor Blades in Gas Pump Handles
'Best for Everyone That They Move On'
Is It 'the Largest Con in Corporate History'?
He's 45, Spending Millions to Have an 18-Year-Old's Organs
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.