Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 61 - 80 |
As State GOP Rallies Around
Roy Moore, a Notable Exception
Dec 10, 2017 7:37 AM CST
As State GOP Rallies Around Roy Moore, a Notable Exception
His would-be colleague in the US Senate, Richard Shelby, wrote in another Republican
- Roy Moore's electoral test comes Tuesday, and he looks to be doing well among Alabama's GOP elite despite allegations of sexual misconduct with teenagers. "I have stated both publicly and privately over the last month that unless these allegations were proven to be true I would ... vote...
Jeff Sessions: Don't
Call Me a Liar
Nov 14, 2017 11:55 AM CST
Jeff Sessions: Don't Call Me a Liar
But attorney general clarifies that he now remembers meeting at which Russia was raised
- Attorney General Jeff Sessions testified before a House panel Tuesday, with Democrats grilling him on Russia's role in the campaign and Republicans pressing him to go after Hillary Clinton. The Russian angle has been a thorn for Sessions because he previously testified under oath that he knew of no...
Latest to Call
for Moore to
Nov 14, 2017 11:25 AM CST
Latest to Call for Moore to Exit Race: Paul Ryan
As pastors distance themselves from letter Moore's wife posted
- A day after the Senate majority leader called for Republican Roy Moore to exit the Senate race in Alabama, the House speaker is doing the same. "He should step aside," Paul Ryan told CNN Tuesday. "Number one, these allegations are credible. Number two, if he cares about...
DOJ: Sessions May Appoint
Special Counsel for Clinton
Nov 14, 2017 12:08 AM CST
DOJ: Sessions May Appoint Special Counsel for Clinton
Attorney general wants federal prosecutors to 'evaluate certain issues'
- Attorney General Jeff Sessions is leaving open the possibility that a special counsel could be appointed to look into Clinton Foundation dealings and an Obama-era uranium deal , the Justice Department said Monday. In a letter to the House Judiciary Committee, the Justice Department said Sessions had directed senior federal prosecutors...
Roy Moore a Little
Nov 12, 2017 8:03 AM CST
Sessions: Roy Moore a Little 'Too Alabama'
McKinnon's AG character makes a return amid latest controversy in Ala. Senate race
- As the sexual misconduct allegations roil the Alabama Senate race,
Saturday Night Live
waded right in with a sketch portraying candidate Roy Moore meeting with VP Mike Pence (Beck Bennett). Pence's advice: Get out. "Don’t think of it as ending your campaign, think of it as going...
Trump, Sessions Russian
Denials Now in Question
Nov 3, 2017 9:41 AM CDT
Trump, Sessions Russian Denials Now in Question
They attended meeting where adviser boasted of contacts; Trump wants focus on Clinton
- A new story is emerging from the Robert Mueller moves earlier this week, one that could be bad news for President Trump and Attorney General Jeff Sessions. Both have repeatedly denied personally knowing about any outreach between members of the Trump campaign and Russian officials, but the newly unsealed court...
Sessions Refuses to
on Trump, Comey
Oct 18, 2017 2:21 PM CDT
Sessions Refuses to Answer Questions on Trump, Comey
Attorney general claims executive privilege during Senate testimony
- Jeff Sessions refused Wednesday to answer questions about his "confidential conversations with the president" regarding the firing of former FBI Director James Comey, CNN reports. The attorney general claimed executive privilege when questioned by Democrats during testimony in front of the Senate Judiciary Committee. "I cannot waive that...
Makes Rare Move
Oct 15, 2017 4:05 PM CDT
Jeff Sessions Makes Rare Move in Transgender Murder Case
Attorney general sends Justice Department lawyer to assist
- In a sign that he is willing to fight for transgender people in certain areas, Attorney General Jeff Sessions has tasked the Justice Department with sending an experienced federal hate crimes lawyer to Iowa to assist in prosecuting a man charged with murdering a transgender 16-year-old, sources tell the
Critics Say 2 Memos From
Sessions Attack LGBTQ Rights
Oct 6, 2017 1:58 PM CDT
Critics Say 2 Memos From Sessions Attack LGBTQ Rights
Justice Department says federal civil rights law doesn't apply to transgender employees
- Attorney General Jeff Sessions issued two memos this week that critics say put the rights of the LGBTQ community at risk. NBC News reports a Justice Department memo issued Wednesday states Title VII of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, which prohibits discrimination in the workplace on the basis of sex,...
Blip or Trend? Violent Crime
Spikes for 2nd Straight Year
Sep 25, 2017 12:42 PM CDT
Blip or Trend? Violent Crime Spikes for 2nd Straight Year
Attorney General Sessions says trend cannot continue
- Violent crime in America rose for the second straight year in 2016, but it remained near historically low levels, according to FBI data released Monday. The numbers were driven by a spike in killings in some major cities, per the AP . Violent crimes such as shootings and robberies rose 4....
Report: Trump Called AG
an Idiot, Told Him to Quit
Sep 15, 2017 5:00 AM CDT
Report: Trump Called AG an Idiot, Told Him to Quit
Jeff Sessions 'humiliated' in Oval Office meeting
- President Trump treated his own attorney general as harshly as any failed
contestant in a heated Oval Office meeting earlier this year, White House insiders say. The
New York Times
, citing multiple anonymous sources, reports that Trump, angered by the appointment of special counsel Robert Mueller to lead the...
Sessions Floats Controversial
Idea to Catch Leakers
Sep 11, 2017 9:25 AM CDT
Sessions Floats Controversial Idea to Catch Leakers
Axios reports he might require all NSC staffers to take lie detector tests
- Attorney General Jeff Sessions is reportedly considering a controversial idea to catch White House leakers. Axios reports that Sessions has floated a proposal to make all 100 or so staffers at the National Security Council take a lie detector test. The purpose of the polygraph would be to figure out...
Sessions: We're Ending
Sep 5, 2017 10:40 AM CDT
Sessions: We're Ending 'Dreamers' Program
White House says it is phasing out DACA
- Bad news for "dreamers." The White House is indeed phasing out a program that has protected hundreds of thousands of young immigrants brought into the country illegally as kids, reports the AP . Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced the anticipated move Tuesday morning, per Reuters . Sessions called the Deferred...
Trump to Lift Limits on
Military Gear for Cops
Aug 28, 2017 12:17 AM CDT
Trump to Lift Limits on Military Gear for Cops
He's promised to rescind Obama order
- The Trump administration is preparing to restore the flow of surplus military equipment to local law enforcement agencies under a program that had been sharply curtailed amid an outcry over police use of armored vehicles and other war-fighting gear to confront protesters. Documents obtained by the AP indicate President Trump...
Could be Dropped
Aug 27, 2017 8:03 AM CDT
Trump Asked Sessions if Arpaio Case Could be Dropped
President told that would be 'inappropriate,' was long decided on issuing pardon
- President Trump's intervention in Joe Arpaio's fate dates back well before he announced the controversial pardon of the former Arizona sheriff on Friday, reports the
Washington Post .
Citing White House sources, the
reports that Trump reached out to AG Jeff Sessions this past spring to see if...
Suspect in Virginia
Murder Denied Bond
Aug 14, 2017 10:15 AM CDT
Suspect in Virginia Murder Denied Bond
Jeff Sessions calls the fatal car attack in Charlottesville 'domestic terrorism'
- A judge in Charlottesville, Va., has denied bond for an Ohio man accused of plowing his car into a crowd at a white nationalist rally, reports the AP . Judge Robert Downer said during a bond hearing Monday he would appoint a lawyer for James Alex Fields Jr. The 20-year-old is...
Feds Open Civil Rights
Inquiry Into Va. Attack
Aug 13, 2017 6:03 AM CDT
Feds Open Civil Rights Inquiry Into Va. Attack
Man charged with murder after car attack kills woman amid clashes in Charlottesville
- US officials have opened a civil rights investigation into the deadly car attack that took place amid clashes of white nationalists and counter-demonstrators , reports the AP . The investigation was announced late Saturday by the US Attorney's Office for the Western District of Virginia and the FBI's Richmond field...
Sessions Slams 'Lawless'
Chicago Over Lawsuit
Aug 8, 2017 3:24 AM CDT
Sessions Slams 'Lawless' Chicago Over Lawsuit
'Comply with the law or forgo taxpayer dollars'
- The war of words between Chicago and the federal government over "sanctuary cities" policy is heating up. Attorney General Jeff Sessions slammed the city's leaders Monday over their lawsuit against the Trump administration , saying they "have demonstrated an open hostility to enforcing laws designed to protect law...
to Go After
Aug 4, 2017 12:17 PM CDT
Sessions Announces Plan to Go After Leakers, Media
'They cannot place lives at risk with impunity'
- Attorney General Jeff Sessions had some tough talk for leakers and media organizations that publish leaks during a press briefing Friday, saying the "culture of leaking must stop,"
reports. "We have made changes and are seriously ramping up our efforts,"
quotes Sessions as...
Black Cops Respond to
Trump: 'We Are Not Thugs'
Aug 2, 2017 6:21 AM CDT
Black Cops Respond to Trump: 'We Are Not Thugs'
DEA chief says president 'condoned police misconduct'
- "We are not thugs. We are professionals," says the leader of a black policing group, addressing a speech in which President Trump urged officers to not be "too nice" when arresting suspects. Perry Tarrant of the National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives met with AG Jeff...
Stories 61 - 80 |
Popular on Newser
David Brooks Posts a Burger Picture, Chaos Ensues
Gross Details Air in Boston College Hazing Case
One of America's Best-Paid CEOs Abruptly Steps Down
Missing Toddler Found in Woods With 2 Furry Protectors
Democratic Senator Indicted on Bribery Charges
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.