Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Bed Bug Fumigation
Killed Couple at Resort
Nov 11, 2023 3:50 PM CST
Bed Bug Fumigation Killed Couple at Resort
Room next door had been sprayed with pesticide
- The coroner's verdict is in on the cause of death for a British couple vacationing at a luxury resort in Egypt in 2018. John and Susan Cooper died of carbon monoxide poisoning, CNN reports, in the Red Sea resort of Hurghada. The room next to theirs, which was connected...
Israeli 'Concept Paper'
on Gaza's 2.3M
People Worries Egypt
Nov 5, 2023 5:03 AM CST
Israeli 'Concept Paper' on Gaza's 2.3M People Worries Egypt
Report deemed a hypothetical by Netanyahu proposes moving Palestinians to Egypt's Sinai
- An Israeli government ministry has drafted a wartime proposal to transfer the Gaza Strip's 2.3 million people to Egypt's Sinai Peninsula, drawing condemnation from Palestinians and worsening tensions with Cairo. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office played down the report compiled by the Intelligence Ministry as a...
After Latest Airstrike, Calls
for End to Israeli 'War Crimes'
Nov 1, 2023 6:32 AM CDT
After Latest Airstrike, Calls for End to Israeli 'War Crimes'
Arab nations condemn Israeli strike on refugee camp as groups claim use of white phosphorus
- Dozens of people entered the Rafah crossing from Gaza to Egypt on Wednesday in what appeared to be the first time foreign passport holders have been allowed to leave the besieged territory since the start of the Israel-Hamas war more than three weeks ago, the AP reports. Egyptian state-run media...
Menendez Pleads Not Guilty
to New Federal Charge
Oct 23, 2023 4:22 PM CDT
Menendez Pleads Not Guilty to New Federal Charge
New Jersey senator is charged with failing to register as foreign agent of Egypt
- Sen. Bob Menendez pleaded not guilty Monday to a new federal charge filed in a superseding indictment earlier this month. The Democrat, who pleaded not guilty to bribery charges in September, entered a not guilty plea to a charge that he conspired to act as a foreign agent of Egypt,...
Oct 21, 2023 6:30 AM CDT
'The Situation Is Catastrophic'
'Trickle' of aid begins as trucks move from Egypt into Gaza, but some say much more aid is needed
- The border crossing between Egypt and Gaza opened on Saturday to let a trickle of desperately needed aid into the besieged Palestinian territory for the first time since Israel sealed it off in the wake of Hamas' bloody rampage two weeks ago. Gaza's 2.3 million Palestinians, half of...
Biden: Israel Will Allow
Humanitarian Relief to Gaza
Oct 18, 2023 10:39 AM CDT
Biden: Israel Will Allow Humanitarian Relief to Gaza
But only through the border with Egypt, and with inspections
- President Biden said Wednesday that Israel had agreed to allow humanitarian assistance to begin flowing into Gaza from Egypt with the understanding it would be subject to inspections, and that such aid should go to civilians and not Hamas militants. In remarks from Tel Aviv, where the president had gone...
Egypt's Border Crossing
With Gaza Remains
Oct 18, 2023 12:30 AM CDT
Egypt's Border Crossing With Gaza Remains Closed. Why?
It remains closed as thousands wait on one side, and aid is stuck on the other side
- As Israel bombards Gaza in retaliation for Hamas' attacks on Israel, thousands of Palestinians are lined up on the Gaza side of the Rafah crossing—the only crossing at the Egypt-Gaza border. On the Egypt side sit trucks full of aid supplies for the devastated region. Yet the crossing remains...
US Ally Trying
to Help Russia
on the Sly
Apr 11, 2023 6:07 AM CDT
Leak Suggests US Ally Trying to Help Russia on the Sly
Egypt planned to ship rockets to Putin, reports the 'Washington Post'
- Outlets continue to sift through leaked US intelligence documents that turned up online over the last few weeks, and the
appears to have found one of the more notable ones. It suggests that Egypt has plans to ship 40,000 rockets to Russia, and to do so quietly...
Grindr Warns Users
of App in Egypt
Mar 25, 2023 12:10 PM CDT
Grindr Warns Users of App in Egypt
Police are setting up fake accounts, notice on dating app says
- A popular gay social networking application said Friday that it is issuing a warning to its users in Egypt, as police impersonate community members to target LGBTQ+ individuals. Rights groups and media have reported recently that authorities in the wider region are increasingly taking to digital platforms to act against...
Newly Unearthed Sphinx May
Have Face of Roman Emperor
Mar 6, 2023 2:56 PM CST
Newly Unearthed Sphinx May Have Face of Roman Emperor
It was found in a temple south of Cairo
- Archaeologists have unearthed a Sphinx-like statue and the remains of a shrine in an ancient temple in southern Egypt, antiquities authorities said Monday. The artifacts were found in the temple of Dendera in Qena Province, 280 miles south of Cairo, the Antiquities Ministry said in a statement. Archaeologists believe the...
Great Pyramid's Hidden
Corridor Is Revealed
in case you missed it
Mar 5, 2023 4:05 PM CST
Great Pyramid's Hidden Corridor Is Revealed
Vaulted space could sit above an unknown chamber: experts
- Experts have taken a look inside a hidden space in the Great Pyramid of Giza, last seen 4,500 years ago. It's a vaulted corridor found behind the north face of Khufu's Pyramid and has archaeologists wondering whether an undiscovered chamber remains concealed beneath it, per Reuters . About...
'Time Machine' Unearthed on
Ancient Egypt's Mummies
Feb 2, 2023 9:40 AM CST
'Time Machine' Unearthed on Ancient Egypt's Mummies
Embalming workshop found in 2016 offers hints on the mummification process
- For thousands of years, ancient Egyptians mummified their dead in the search for eternal life. Now, researchers have used chemistry and an unusual collection of jars to figure out how they did it. Their study, published Wednesday in the journal
, is based on a rare archaeological find: an embalming...
Gold-Covered Mummy Was
Undisturbed for 4.3K Years
Jan 27, 2023 9:37 AM CST
Gold-Covered Mummy Was Undisturbed for 4.3K Years
It 'may be the oldest and most complete mummy found in Egypt to date'
- Since 2,300BC, a time when a few mammoths still walked the Earth, the gold-covered mummy of a man named Hekashepes lay in a limestone sarcophagus at the bottom of a shaft 50 feet deep, undisturbed by grave robbers. Egyptian archaeologists say the lid of the sarcophagus, one of several...
In Egypt, an
Jan 26, 2023 1:03 PM CST
In Egypt, an 'Increasingly Rare' Find
First complete papyrus to be found in a century will be displayed at Cairo's new museum
- From one of 250 wooden sarcophagi uncovered last year at Egypt's famed necropolis of Saqqara comes the first complete papyrus scroll discovered in a century. And it's a long one. The scroll containing sections of the Book of the Dead stretches 52 feet long, per Live Science . The...
To Steal a 10-Ton Statue,
You Need a Crane and Luck
Jan 12, 2023 2:17 PM CST
To Steal a 10-Ton Statue, You Need a Crane and Luck
Three would-be thieves in Egypt had only one of the two
- It's not easy to steal a 10-ton object, as three would-be thieves in Egypt have discovered the hard way. Authorities there say they arrested the trio, who were trying to make off with a 10-foot statue of Pharaoh Ramses II, reports Al Jazeera . Police say the thieves were caught...
US Returns Artifact to Egypt
Jan 4, 2023 5:41 PM CST
US Returns Artifact to Egypt
Looted ancient sarcophagus was smuggled into US in 2008
- An ancient wooden sarcophagus that was featured at the Houston Museum of Natural Sciences was returned to Egypt after US authorities determined it was looted years ago, Egyptian officials said Monday. The repatriation is part of Egyptian government efforts to stop the trafficking of its stolen antiquities, the AP reports....
On UN Climate
Issue, a Historic
Nov 19, 2022 9:00 AM CST
On UN Climate Talks' Thorniest Issue, a Historic Agreement
Under deal, which still needs final vote, rich nations will compensate poor nations affected by pollution
- Negotiators say they've struck a potential breakthrough deal on the thorniest issue of United Nations climate talks: the creation of a fund for compensating poor nations that are victims of extreme weather worsened by rich nations' carbon pollution. "There is an agreement on loss and damage," which...
Egypt Pleads With Parents
to Have Smaller Families
Nov 13, 2022 2:55 PM CST
Egypt Pleads With Parents to Have Smaller Families
Nation's resources are becoming strained
- Last year, Egypt’s population topped 104 million, five times what it was in 1950, and it continues to grow at a steady clip, per the
Washington Post .
Egyptian President Abdel Fatah al-Sissi sees a population crisis that threatens national security and economic development, and he has “repeatedly scolded...
Biden to World
Leaders: Time to
'Double Down' on
Nov 11, 2022 1:48 PM CST
Biden to World Leaders: Time to 'Double Down' on Climate Change
President vows to 'change the paradigm' at UN's COP27 summit in Egypt
- President Joe Biden, speaking Friday at an annual international summit on climate change, urged world leaders to "double down" on their resolve to fight global warming, saying Russia's invasion of Ukraine reinforces the need to phase out fossil fuels. "We can no longer plead ignorance to the...
'Miracle' Tunnel Might
Lead to Cleopatra's Tomb
Nov 10, 2022 1:15 PM CST
'Miracle' Tunnel Might Lead to Cleopatra's Tomb
Tunnel sits below Taposiris Magna temple in Egypt, possible site of royal tomb
- Archaeologists hoping to find Cleopatra's lost tomb have instead discovered an incredible feat of engineering: a 6.5-foot-tall underground tunnel stretching for nearly a mile. The Egyptian Ministry of Tourism calls it a "geometric miracle," per
. Kathleen Martinez of the University of San Domingo, whose team...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
Your Walking Speed Affects Health Benefits
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.