Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Trump Just Sued
Mar 24, 2022 3:25 PM CDT
Trump Just Sued Hillary Clinton
Filing contains accusations about Democratic efforts to tie his campaign to Russia
- Former President Trump filed a sweeping federal lawsuit Thursday, arguing that Hillary Clinton and dozens of others plotted against him in the 2016 presidential race, nurturing false accusations. The filing says Clinton—the Democratic presidential nominee that year—conspired with her campaign, the Democratic National Committee, various campaign aides, former...
Russian Analyst Who Fed
Steele Dossier Is Charged
Nov 4, 2021 2:45 PM CDT
Russian Analyst Who Fed Steele Dossier Is Charged
Indictment accuses Igor Danchenko of lying to the FBI
- A Russian analyst who contributed to a dossier of Democratic-funded research into ties between Russia and Donald Trump was indicted Thursday on charges of lying to the FBI about his sources of information. The case against Igor Danchenko is part of special counsel John Durham's ongoing investigation into the...
Probe of Mueller Investigation
Leads to Charge Against Lawyer
Sep 17, 2021 12:13 AM CDT
Probe of Mueller Investigation Leads to Charge Against Lawyer
Michael Sussmann allegedly lied to the FBI
- The prosecutor tasked with examining the US government's investigation into Russian election interference charged a prominent cybersecurity lawyer on Thursday with making a false statement to the FBI five years ago, the AP reports. The indictment accuses Michael Sussmann of hiding that he was working with Hillary Clinton’s...
Apple Had to Hand Over Data
on Sitting White House Counsel
Jun 13, 2021 5:53 PM CDT
Apple Had to Hand Over Data on Sitting White House Counsel
In 2018, Justice Department issued subpoena for data of Donald McGahn
- Apple recently revealed that then-President Trump’s Department of Justice had come to them with subpoenas for data on congressional Democrats. Now the company has revealed that it turned over data for Trump’s own White House counsel, too. The company told Donald McGahn and his wife that it...
Mueller Prosecutor Plans Book:
'We Made Mistakes'
Jul 13, 2020 7:35 PM CDT
Mueller Prosecutor Plans Book: 'We Made Mistakes'
Andrew Weissmann plans to cover efforts to hinder investigation
- A top prosecutor for special counsel Robert Mueller has a book coming out this fall about the two-year investigation into possible ties between Russia and the 2016 campaign of President Trump. Random House announced Monday that Andrew Weissmann's
Where Law Ends: Inside the Mueller Investigation
will be published Sept....
Jul 12, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
Sen. Graham: I'll Green-Light Mueller's Testimony
'That request will be granted,' says the South Carolina Republican
- This time, Sen. Lindsey Graham is willing to listen. The chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee said Sunday he'll let Democrats call Robert Mueller to testify before the committee, the
reports. Graham had rejected such calls before but appeared to change his mind after Mueller penned a...
Robert Mueller Has a Point
to Make About Roger Stone
Jul 12, 2020 7:11 AM CDT
Robert Mueller Has a Point to Make About Roger Stone
'He remains a convicted felon, and rightly so'
- President Trump handed Roger Stone his Get Out of Jail Free card , and the man who tried to send the former fixer to jail is weighing in on the ensuing brouhaha following Stone's commutation. Writing in the
Washington Post ,
former special counsel Robert Mueller opines that "Stone was...
Prosecutor: I Was Pressured
to Cut Stone a 'Break'
Jun 23, 2020 6:59 PM CDT
Prosecutor: I Was Pressured to Cut Stone a 'Break'
He says Stone was being treated differently because of his relationship with Trump
- One of four prosecutors who quit the Roger Stone case after Attorney General William Barr intervened to recommend a lighter sentence says there was "significant pressure" to cut Stone a "break" because he was close to President Trump. "What I heard—repeatedly—was that Roger Stone was...
Justice Department Just
Dropped Michael Flynn Case
May 7, 2020 1:57 PM CDT
Justice Department Just Dropped Michael Flynn Case
It's a big victory for the Trump White House
- A big win for President Trump: The Justice Department said Thursday it is dropping the criminal case against Michael Flynn , per the AP . The case involving Trump's first national security adviser had become a rallying cry for the president and his supporters in attacking the FBI's Russia investigation....
Feds Dropping Case Against
2 Firms in Mueller Probe
Mar 17, 2020 4:25 AM CDT
Feds Dropping Case Against 2 Firms in Mueller Probe
'No prospect of meaningful punishment' for Russian companies
- The Justice Department is moving to drop charges against two Russian companies that were accused of funding a social media campaign to sway American public opinion during the 2016 election. Prosecutors said they concluded that a trial, against a corporate defendant with no presence in the United States and no...
Trump: A 'Full Pardon'
Might Be in Order
Mar 15, 2020 2:30 PM CDT
Trump: A 'Full Pardon' Might Be in Order
The president tweets about former national security adviser Michael Flynn
- President Donald Trump said Sunday he is considering a full pardon for former national security adviser Michael Flynn, who had pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI about dealings with Russia’s ambassador before Trump took office, the AP reports. Flynn attempted to withdraw the guilty plea in January, saying...
Trump Calls Stone
Feb 11, 2020 1:36 AM CST
Trump Calls Stone Sentencing Request 'Disgraceful'
Prosecutors recommend 7 to 9 years
- In a move deemed "disgraceful" by President Trump, federal prosecutors have recommended a sentence of 7 to 9 years for his old friend and former campaign adviser Roger Stone. In a sentencing memo filed Monday, prosecutors asked for a sentence of 87 to 108 months for the 67-year-old, saying...
Most Notable Quotes of
2019 Have Been Chosen
Dec 10, 2019 10:20 AM CST
Most Notable Quotes of 2019 Have Been Chosen
At the top of the list: one from the July 25 Trump-Zelensky call
- Activist Greta Thunberg and actress Emma Watson have two of the 10 most notable quotes of 2019, according to a librarian at Yale Law School. But it's the line at the center of the impeachment inquiry—"I would like you to do us a favor, though"—from...
Report: Probe of Mueller Probe
Is Now a Criminal Investigation
Oct 25, 2019 6:44 AM CDT
Report: Probe of Mueller Probe Is Now a Criminal Investigation
Democrats say move raises 'profound concerns'
- The Justice Department's investigation of itself is now a criminal investigation, though it's not clear what crimes are suspected, sources say. An insider tells Politico that the investigation of the probe into Russian election interference in 2016—which became the Robert Mueller investigation—has been "escalated" from...
More Big Names
Aug 15, 2019 5:36 PM CDT
House Panel Subpoenas More Big Names
House Judiciary Committee wants to hear from them Sept. 17
- As expected , the House Judiciary Committee on Thursday subpoenaed former Trump campaign manager Corey Lewandowski and a former White House aide as part of its investigation into President Trump's conduct in office, the AP reports. The committee chairman, Democratic Rep. Jerrold Nadler of New York, said his committee...
De Niro: Mueller's Performance
Wouldn't Get Him an Oscar
Jul 29, 2019 4:08 PM CDT
De Niro: Mueller's Performance Wouldn't Get Him an Oscar
Because 'calm, confident, and dignified' isn't what the academy honors, he writes
- The byline of Robert De Niro's opinion piece for the
points out the actor received an Emmy nomination for playing Robert Mueller on
. So he's perhaps more of an expert than most on a "Mueller performance." And he begins in a tongue-and-cheek fashion,...
America's Top Spy Is
Calling It Quits: Report
Jul 28, 2019 2:00 PM CDT
America's Top Spy Is Calling It Quits: Report
Dan Coats might be replaced by Texas Rep. John Ratcliffe
- America's top spy is on the verge of stepping down after clashing with President Trump for the past two years, the
New York Times
reports. Dan Coats, who became director of national intelligence in 2017, is expected to leave in the next few days. Axios reports that Texas Rep....
Nadler's Next Move
Is a Trip to Court
Jul 26, 2019 2:36 PM CDT
Nadler's Next Move Is a Trip to Court
Judiciary Committee wants grand jury evidence, McGahn's testimony
- Now that he's heard from Robert Mueller , Jerry Nadler plans to go to court to demand that evidence the special prosecutor accumulated using a grand jury be turned over. Nadler has tried to get the Russia investigation information before; now a judge will be asked to enforce the House...
Jul 25, 2019 4:27 PM CDT
Despite Mueller's Warning, GOP Blocks Election Security Bills
Congress is divided after Mueller testifies that Russian interference is still happening
- Former special counsel Robert Mueller's warning that Russian interference is still happening "as we sit" is putting pressure on Republican leaders in Congress to join Democrats in passing additional election security legislation. Mitch McConnell halted a bipartisan effort to beef up state election systems ahead of the 2018...
After Mueller's Big Day, Pelosi
Spurns Impeachment Push
Jul 25, 2019 6:33 AM CDT
After Mueller's Big Day, Pelosi Spurns Impeachment Push
Hours of testimony apparently fail to move the needle
- Mueller Day is over, and the assessments continue to roll in. One common theme in coverage is that if Democrats were hoping Robert Mueller's testimony would create a big push for impeachment, they were off the mark. Politico reports that in a closed-door meeting of the Democratic caucus...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Law Would Jail Parents Whose Children Aren't Vaccinated
Incurable Disease Plaguing Young Stone Cutters
Congressman Pulled Fire Alarm Amid Capitol Hill Scramble
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
A New Look at the Killing of the 'Face of Red Power'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.