Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Scientists Test Remains Kept in
Attic for Battle of Waterloo Ties
Jan 26, 2023 6:53 PM CST
Scientists Test Remains Kept in Attic for Battle of Waterloo Ties
Man turns bones over to Belgian archives
- After Bernard Wilkin, of the State Archives of Belgium, spoke in the village of Waterloo in November about what became of the remains of troops killed in the Battle of Waterloo in 1815, a man approached him. "Dr. Wilkin," he said, "I have bones of these Prussians...
Riots Follow World Cup Upset
Nov 27, 2022 3:40 PM CST
Riots Follow World Cup Upset
'Those are not fans, they are rioters,' Brussels mayor says
- Riots broke out in several Belgian and Dutch cities after Morocco's 2-0 upset win over Belgium at the World Cup on Sunday. Police detained about a dozen people after they deployed water cannons and fire tear gas to disperse crowds in Brussels and eight more in the Northern city...
Nov 22, 2022 4:34 PM CST
Belgium Has an Unusual Drug Problem
Authorities are seizing so much cocaine their incinerators can't handle the load
- Authorities at Belgium's port of Antwerp have gotten so good at intercepting smuggled cocaine that it's led to an unexpected problem: Their incinerators can't burn it all fast enough. And as AFP explains, that has led to a related problem: There's so much seized cocaine lying...
At Famous Battle Site,
an 'Incredibly Rare' Find
Jul 13, 2022 3:12 PM CDT
At Famous Battle Site, an 'Incredibly Rare' Find
Complete skeleton of likely soldier found alongside horse bones near site of Waterloo
- Finding human remains at the site of a famous battle isn't usually very surprising. But it is in the case of the Battle of Waterloo, which ended Napoleon's rule as emperor of France. Though up to 20,000 men died in the battle in modern-day Belgium on June...
A Hero's Tooth Is
Laid to Rest in Congo
Jun 30, 2022 1:57 PM CDT
A Hero's Tooth Is Laid to Rest in Congo
Independence hero Patrice Lumumba's body was dissolved in acid after 1961 murder
Patrice Lumumba's gold-crowned tooth—all that remained of Congo's independence leader after his body was dissolved in acid more than 60 years ago—finished its tour of the country and was on Thursday entombed in the capital, Kinshasa. The BBC reports it is being kept in a...
Car Runs Into Carnival Crowd
at High Speed, Killing 6
Mar 20, 2022 11:10 AM CDT
Car Runs Into Carnival Crowd at High Speed, Killing 6
Belgian prosecutor sees no sign of terrorism after arrests
- A car slammed at high speed into Carnival revelers in a small town in southern Belgium early Sunday, killing six people and leaving 10 more with life-threatening injuries, authorities said. Many others were slightly injured, the AP reports. "What should have been a great party turned into a tragedy,...
Mar 16, 2022 5:09 PM CDT
Art Museum Again Unveils Masterpiece
Large Rubens was kept in former nuclear bomb shelter during Antwerp building's renovation
- Moving a masterpiece is difficult, even more so when it measures 13.5 feet by 22.1 feet and weighs 1,225 pounds. Such is the size of the "Baptism of Christ," by Baroque painter Peter Paul Rubens (1605), the jewel in the crown of the Royal Museum...
After Subway Push, Driver
Stops With Inches to Spare
in case you missed it
Jan 23, 2022 4:55 PM CST
After Subway Push, Driver Stops With Inches to Spare
Suspect was seen pushing woman onto tracks at Brussels metro station
- A day before a woman was shoved to her death at a subway station in New York, a woman in Belgium had a very narrow escape. Video from the Rogier metro station in Brussels Friday shows a young man pushing a woman onto the tracks moments before a train arrives....
Dec 26, 2021 11:40 AM CST
Belgians Protest Cultural Shutdown
New pandemic restrictions began Sunday
- Thousands of Belgian performers, cinema operators, event organizers, and others joined together Sunday to protest the government's decision to close down the country's cultural life to stem the spread of the surging omicron variant. Waving posters reading "The show must go on" or "No culture, no...
May 29, 2021 4:30 PM CDT
Belgians Demand Fewer Rules, More Help
Party turns into march to EU headquarters while tired health care workers seek support
- Thousands of protesters angry at pandemic-related restrictions marched to European Union headquarters in Brussels on Saturday and had minor tussles with police over their unauthorized gathering. The crowd initially assembled in a Brussels park for a party designed to flout Belgium's COVID-19 rules and a related gathering calling for...
Soldier Goes Missing
After Threatening Virologist
May 19, 2021 1:02 PM CDT
Soldier Goes Missing After Threatening Virologist
Jurgen Conings, 46, of Belgium has ties to the extreme right and is heavily armed
- A soldier with ties to the extreme right went missing in Belgium on Monday, and he took a cache of weapons with him. Police say Jurgen Conings, 46, removed four rocket launchers, a submachine gun, a pistol, and a bulletproof vest from his barracks, and while police on Tuesday night...
Farmer Accidentally Makes
France a Little Smaller
May 4, 2021 11:05 AM CDT
Farmer Accidentally Makes France a Little Smaller
Belgian moves stone marking the border
- Sometimes it takes a war to change the border between two nations. And sometimes, it requires only a ticked-off farmer. The BBC reports that a farmer in Belgium moved a stone marker in his field a little more than 7 feet, apparently because it was in the path of his...
Off-Duty Cops Antiquing in
Brussels Make Quite a Find
Apr 14, 2021 10:50 AM CDT
Off-Duty Cops Antiquing in Brussels Make Quite a Find
Roman statue worth $120K had been stolen from Italy nearly a decade ago
- Two Italian police officers on assignment in Belgium were exploring some of Brussels' antique shops after work when they discovered a $120,000 Roman statue, stolen from Italy nearly a decade ago. The statue of a headless Roman in a draped toga struck the men as suspicious. As members of...
Up to 5K Turned Out for Hoax
Concert. It Did Not End Well
Apr 2, 2021 12:05 PM CDT
Up to 5K Turned Out for Hoax Concert. It Did Not End Well
Belgian police officer hospitalized after clashes in Brussels
- An April Fools' joke in Belgium did not go over well Thursday as police used tear gas and water cannons to disperse a crowd that had gathered to attend a concert, which turned out to be a hoax. An announcement posted to Facebook in March promised a slate of famous...
27 Dead After 'Completely
Irresponsible' Santa Visit
Jan 1, 2021 1:00 PM CST
27 Dead After 'Completely Irresponsible' Santa Visit
Residents at Belgian nursing home were seen in pics not wearing masks during holiday event
- Authorities in Belgium say a 27th elderly person has died in an outbreak at a nursing home from a superspreading St. Nick party last month, but they hope the situation is now under control. The Hemelrijck home in the northern Belgium city of Mol had organized an early December visit...
1 Bathroom User
Dec 4, 2020 12:28 AM CST
Belgium: Designate 1 Bathroom User This Christmas
Anyone else who must go must go home, government says
- With Belgium having more coronavirus-related deaths per capita than any nation in the world, Christmas there is not just a celebration but an issue. The nation already is under a four-person limit for gatherings, the
reports, and they must be held outdoors. Those rules will hold for the...
Anti-LGBTQ+ Official Resigns
After Allegedly Attending 'Orgy'
Dec 2, 2020 12:57 AM CST
Anti-LGBTQ+ Official Resigns After Allegedly Attending 'Orgy'
Top Hungarian lawmaker says only that he attended a party in violation of COVID restrictions
- A Hungarian lawmaker is out of a job after he was caught climbing down a drainpipe to escape a sex party in Belgium that was being broken up by police. József Szàjer, a senior member of European Parliament, resigned after acknowledging he had been present at the private...
This Is an Expensive Pigeon
Nov 15, 2020 11:00 AM CST
This Is an Expensive Pigeon
New Kim brings record $1.89M in Belgian auction
- After a flurry of bidding in the last half-hour, a Belgian racing pigeon sold Sunday for a world record $1.89 million—a gravity-defying bid that's more than anyone expected, Reuters reports. "These record prices are unbelievable, because this is a female," said Nikolaas Gyselbrecht, chief executive...
A New Princess
Meets With Her Father
Oct 27, 2020 12:47 PM CDT
A New Princess Meets With Her Father
Former King Albert of Belgium denied paternity for years
- After years of courtroom battles , the relationship between Delphine Boel and the former king who long denied being her father has moved to the palace. Belgium's Albert II and the woman now recognized as Princess Delphine sat down together Sunday, the
reports. The royal palace announced the reunion...
In One Nation, Infected Doctors
Are Asked to Keep Working
Oct 27, 2020 11:52 AM CDT
In One Nation, Infected Doctors Are Asked to Keep Working
Overwhelmed Belgium needs asymptomatic medical workers to continue treating people
- A sign of how bad things are in Belgium in regard to COVID-19: Doctors and nurses who've tested positive but have no symptoms are being asked to continue working in some overwhelmed hospitals, reports the
. "The situation is catastrophic," says an ICU doctor in the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
On Roe v. Wade, Federal Judge Sees a 'Loophole'
After a Drowning, Amusement Park Ride Closes for Good
Days After 'Dead' Woman Was Found Alive, a New Incident
One Quirk in Couples Health Study Is a Surprise
Shots Fired as Intruder Breaches Home of Air Force One
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.