Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Young Gun Violence Survivors
Face 'Massive Health Crises'
Nov 7, 2023 10:45 AM CST
Young Gun Violence Survivors Face 'Massive Health Crises'
Study explores 'unbelievable impact' on young survivors specifically, an understudied issue
- Child survivors of gun violence are just that—survivors. Where others died, they were spared. Yet for many survivors, life after gun violence can feel like a curse. New research, using more than 2,000 employer-sponsored insurance claims to chart the health and economic effects for survivors under the age...
Bullet Meant for Target
Strikes Mother of Three
Jan 11, 2022 1:23 PM CST
Bullet Meant for Target Strikes Mother of Three
'I thank God that my life was spared,' says Florida's Heather Sitton
- A mother of three in Florida is recovering in the hospital after she was struck by a bullet that flew into her backyard during target practice at a neighboring property. Indiantown resident Heather Sitton was in her yard with several people, including her husband and three young children, when the...
What Happened to Ahmaud
Arbery, per His Autopsy
May 13, 2020 9:25 AM CDT
What Happened to Ahmaud Arbery, per His Autopsy
13 shotgun pellets exited his back, 11 remained embedded in his chest, medical examiner finds
- Ahmaud Arbery died of "multiple shotgun wounds sustained during a struggle for the shotgun," according to an autopsy by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. The April 1 autopsy report concluded the 25-year-old was shot three times on Feb. 23, including twice in the chest. Eleven shotgun pellets were...
Days Later, a Bullet
Feb 18, 2020 7:19 AM CST
Docs Sent Shooting Victim Home With a Band-Aid; Days Later, a Bullet
'She was having these terrible headaches and she felt something moving in her head'
- A Miami woman wounded in a drive-by shooting was sent home from a hospital with a Band-Aid and antibiotics days before she was found to have a bullet lodged in her head, according to family. Shakena Jefferson was among three gay victims of the Feb. 11 shooting, which police are...
A High-Speed Bullet,
Then 'Ghastly' Injuries
Mar 5, 2018 11:00 AM CST
A High-Speed Bullet, Then 'Ghastly' Injuries
Trauma surgeons describe the 'haunting' wounds they've seen from assault-style rifles
- While the mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School has caused horror nationwide, only a few have actually seen the damage wrought to victims' bodies by an assault-style rifle. The
New York Times
talks to five trauma surgeons from all parts of the US, all "haunted by their...
Bullet Fired in 1958 Just
Claimed a Homicide Victim
Jul 11, 2017 1:23 PM CDT
Bullet Fired in 1958 Just Claimed a Homicide Victim
Victim dies of complications related to the wound in Florida
- A Florida man died of a gunshot wound nearly 60 years after the bullet was fired, a medical examiner says. John Henry Barrett , 77, died in May of an infection and complications related to the gunshot wound, leading the Palm Beach County medical examiner to rule it a homicide, per...
Before Shooting Boyfriend for
YouTube Glory, She Tweeted
Jun 29, 2017 12:01 PM CDT
Before Shooting Boyfriend for YouTube Glory, She Tweeted
Monalisa Perez tweeted it would be 'one of the most dangerous videos ever'
- A Minnesota woman charged with fatally shooting her boyfriend in a failed YouTube video stunt foreshadowed the event when she tweeted that it would be "one of the most dangerous videos ever." Monalisa Perez, of Halstad, was charged Wednesday with second-degree manslaughter in the death of Pedro Ruiz...
During WWI, Moss
Was a Literal Lifesaver
May 8, 2017 10:52 AM CDT
During WWI, Moss Was a Literal Lifesaver
Because 90% of its cells are dead, it absorbs twice as much liquid as cotton
- Within 18 months of World War I beginning, cotton was a big problem for the Allies: They didn't have enough of it. And because it was used to dress battlefield wounds, that made the situation a life-threatening one. Doctors found their answer in moss, reports
magazine in a...
for US Streets
Dec 9, 2015 5:55 AM CST
FDA Approves Battlefield Device for US Streets
It can plug a gunshot wound in seconds
- A device developed by the military to save lives in the battlefield could soon be saving lives on US streets. The FDA has approved the XStat Rapid Hemostasis System, a syringe that pumps scores of tiny sponges into gunshot wounds, for general use by first responders in the US, the...
Boy, 7, Mistaken
Shot by Grandma
Aug 19, 2014 8:25 AM CDT
Boy, 7, Mistaken for Intruder, Shot by Grandma
Grandmother not arrested, boy in critical condition
- A Tampa grandmother allegedly fired a .22 caliber pistol into the dark this morning, shooting not the intruder she feared but her 7-year-old grandson, the
Tampa Bay Times
reports. The boy, Tyler Maddox, is now in critical but stable condition in the hospital. Hillsborough County deputies say Linda Maddox, 63,...
Doctors to Float Gunshot Victims Between Life, Death
in case you missed it
Mar 30, 2014 9:54 AM CDT
Doctors to Float Gunshot Victims Between Life, Death
Attempt groundbreaking technique in Pittsburgh
- It's a "groundbreaking emergency technique," and Pittsburgh surgeons are ready to attempt it on humans for the first time. Doctors at UPMC Presbyterian Hospital soon intend to float 10 patients in the space between life and death, in a bid to extend the time doctors have to...
US Child Gun
60% in 10 Years
Oct 27, 2013 3:10 PM CDT
US Child Gun Deaths Rose 60% in 10 Years
And most came from handguns, finds new study
- The number of US kids and teens who die from gunshot wounds in hospital has risen almost 60% in a decade, according to a new report. The study by two doctors looked at data from 1997 to 2009, and found the number of those hospitalized with gunshot wounds rose from...
After Teen Gets Shot,
Mom ... Checks WebMD
May 9, 2013 7:26 AM CDT
After Teen Gets Shot, Mom ... Checks WebMD
And she might face charges for it
- It turns out WebMD doesn't have a page for gunshot wounds , but if it did, we're guessing the "when to see a doctor" section would be pretty straightforward. A Texas mom may face felony charges for allegedly checking the self-diagnosis site—rather than, say, calling an ambulance—...
School Victims All Shot
With Semiautomatic Rifle
Dec 15, 2012 3:48 PM CST
School Victims All Shot With Semiautomatic Rifle
Police release names, ages of the victims
- The victims of the Connecticut school shooting were shot multiple times with a semiautomatic rifle, the medical examiner said today, and he called the injuries "devastating" and the worst he and colleagues had ever seen. All of the 20 children killed were 6 or 7 years old and each...
Shoots Self ... in Butt
Aug 15, 2012 8:41 AM CDT
Moviegoer Accidentally Shoots Self ... in Butt
He apologizes, skedaddles during 'Bourne Legacy' showing
- A Nevada audience watching
The Bourne Legacy
last night experienced a chilling moment when a gun went off—but it turned out it was just some guy accidentally shooting himself in the butt. The 56-year-old "was adjusting himself in his seat" when "his gun fell out of his...
Shot in Hand
Mar 20, 2011 8:35 AM CDT
Wyclef Jean Shot in Hand in Haiti
Treated for gunshot as Haiti goes to vote
- As his country goes to vote for the presidential race he was barred from, it's oddly Wyclef Jean who's instead making news. The Haitian-born singer has been released from a hospital outside Port-au-Prince after he was shot in the hand last night, reports the AP . A rep for Jean, as...
Guy Shot in Head,
Notices 5 Years Later
that right there is a bullet
Aug 25, 2010 6:19 AM CDT
Guy Shot in Head, Notices 5 Years Later
This can happen when drunk on New Year's Eve
- Not news: A man in Germany got drunk on New Year’s Eve, and wakes up the next day not remembering the night before. News: That included the part where he got shot in the head. He remembered getting
in the head, but didn’t realize he had a...
Gunman Shot 21 Times, Lives
Aug 9, 2010 3:02 PM CDT
Gunman Shot 21 Times, Lives
Tough New Yorker likely set record: forensic expert
- A 23-year-old New York man likely set a record when he survived being shot at least 21 times yesterday, the
New York Daily News
reports. Angel Alvarez and Luis Soto exchanged fire in Harlem before police arrived and sprayed Alvarez with gunfire. Alvarez was shot 'in the arms, legs, abdomen,...
Wife of Cowboys Great
Novacek in Apparent Suicide
Feb 2, 2010 7:17 AM CST
Wife of Cowboys Great Novacek in Apparent Suicide
Death of LeAnne Novacek, 45, appears to be suicide
- The wife of former Dallas Cowboys tight end Jay Novacek was found dead yesterday. LeAnne Novacek, 45, was found in her mother's home in Burleson, Texas. The cause of death appears to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound, the
Dallas Morning News
reports. Police are waiting for an autopsy to determine...
Likely to Be
FORT HOOD SHOOTING
Nov 13, 2009 10:18 AM CST
Hasan Likely to Be Paralyzed: Lawyer
Accused Fort Hood shooter may never regain use of legs
- Accused Fort Hood shooter Nidal Malik Hasan may be paralyzed from the waist down, his lawyer says. The Army major has no feeling in his legs, which doctors say could be permanent. He also has extreme pain in his hands. His lawyer tells CBS that though he was lucid during...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast Food Restaurant
Gunman Kills 3 at UNLV, Critically Wounds Another
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
Kevin McCarthy to Exit the House at Month's End
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.