Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
When a Brain Cancer Doctor
Has His Own Tumor Removed
Jul 31, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
When a Brain Cancer Doctor Has His Own Tumor Removed
Dr. Evan Noch shares his experience in a HuffPost essay
- When Evan Noch woke from brain surgery and was administered an IV steroid dose, he immediately vomited four times. It surprised him. He had never heard of anyone vomiting after receiving dexamethasone intravenously, "despite this apparently well-known idiosyncratic effect." And he would know. Noch—that's Dr. Noch—...
He Spent a
to the Nation
Aug 12, 2021 12:02 PM CDT
He Spent a Decade Talking to the Nation
Longtime NPR journalist Neal Conan dies of brain cancer at 71
- You may not have recognized his face, but you probably knew his voice . Neal Conan, who hosted the popular NPR show
Talk of the Nation
for 11 years until its 2013 end , died Tuesday at age 71. Conan's son, Connor, revealed the longtime radio journalist died of glioblastoma, a...
A Drumming Legend
Dead at 67
Jan 11, 2020 5:30 AM CST
A Drumming Legend Dead at 67
Rush's Neil Peart was diagnosed with brain cancer more than 3 years ago
- A drumming rock legend has died. Rush's Neil Peart, who the CBC notes was "revered by fans and fellow musicians as one of the greatest drummers of all time," passed away Tuesday at age 67 in Santa Monica, Calif., per a statement issued by a family spokesperson,...
Arrests After Santa Put Up
for Dying Toddler Is Stabbed
Sep 21, 2018 10:00 AM CDT
Arrests After Santa Put Up for Dying Toddler Is Stabbed
Homeowners help police catch teens who mucked with Christmas display
- "They gutted the stomach. And then they sliced it sideways and up and down." The victim was an inflatable Santa Claus, but more than just a balloon was harmed. A Cincinnati-area neighborhood has been troubled for days over vandals who had been stabbing Christmas decorations put up to...
With 'Strength of Will,' John
McCain Makes a Hard Decision
Aug 24, 2018 10:24 AM CDT
With 'Strength of Will,' John McCain Makes a Hard Decision
Senator will 'discontinue medical treatment' for aggressive brain cancer
- "Sad news" is now making the rounds online from the John McCain camp: Per the
New York Times
and Fox News
the Arizona senator's family issued a statement Friday announcing he'll no longer seek treatment for the aggressive brain cancer he was diagnosed with in July...
Weeks After Girl's Brain Tumor
Diagnosis, Unimaginable News
Jul 2, 2018 8:01 AM CDT
Weeks After Girl's Brain Tumor Diagnosis, Unimaginable News
6-year-old Kalea Avery's 4-year-old brother, Noah, has the same brain cancer she has
- In what CBS Los Angeles calls a "medical mystery," a California case has stunned both doctors and the parents of two young siblings. Duncan and Nohea Avery's 6-year-old daughter, Kalea, threw up around Memorial Day, then started complaining of headaches. A devastating diagnosis came on June 7:...
White House Aide on McCain:
'He's Dying Anyway'
May 11, 2018 3:20 AM CDT
White House Aide on McCain: 'He's Dying Anyway'
Insiders say staffer Kelly Sadler mocked his illness
- There was "discomfort" during a closed-door White House meeting of communications staffers Thursday when special assistant Kelly Sadler made light of Sen. John McCain's terminal illness, sources tell the
Sadler, discussing the Republican senator's opposition to Gina Haspel becoming CIA director , said: "It doesn't...
'This Is My
May 1, 2018 10:17 AM CDT
John McCain: 'This Is My Last Term'
Senator faces down own mortality, state of politics in forthcoming book
- Facing down an aggressive brain tumor that's kept him out of Washington for months, John McCain appears to be taking a hard look at his own mortality vis-a-vis his forthcoming book,
The Restless Wave .
"This is my last term," he writes in excerpts out now , via NPR...
John McCain Is Recovering
From a New Malady
Apr 17, 2018 12:40 AM CDT
John McCain Is Recovering From a New Malady
GOP senator, away from DC since December, underwent intestinal surgery amid cancer treatment
- Sen. John McCain's office says he's had intestinal surgery needed to stem an infection and is in stable condition at a Phoenix hospital.The longtime Republican senator has been undergoing physical therapy related to brain cancer treatment at his family home near Sedona, Arizona, since December. He previously...
McCain Likely to Miss
Crucial Vote on Tax Bill
Dec 18, 2017 12:07 AM CST
McCain Likely to Miss Crucial Vote on Tax Bill
Senator has returned to Arizona for treatment
- Sen. John McCain has gone home to Arizona to recover from the side effects of chemotherapy, meaning he's likely to miss a vote on the Republican tax reform plan expected this week. After days of speculation about the 81-year-old senator's health, daughter Meghan McCain tweeted Sunday that he'...
Biden Offers Apology to One
Woman, Comfort to Another
Dec 14, 2017 6:49 AM CST
Biden Offers Apology to One Woman, Comfort to Another
Former VP says he's sorry he didn't shield Anita Hill more from attacks, consoles Meghan McCain
- When law professor Anita Hill faced the Senate Judiciary Committee in 1991 to testify about the sexual harassment she said she endured from then-Supreme Court nominee Clarence Thomas, she also faced down attacks on her character and credibility—and many (including Hill herself ) still blame Joe Biden, the senator...
Canada Just Lost
a National Treasure
Oct 18, 2017 9:51 AM CDT
Canada Just Lost a National Treasure
Tragically Hip's Gord Downie dead at 53
- After he was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer , the Tragically Hip's Gord Downie didn't wait for death to take him. He embarked on a sold-out concert tour , released a solo album, raised money for cancer research, and put a spotlight on issues affecting indigenous Canadians, leading to his...
Finds Out Fate
Sep 28, 2017 9:30 AM CDT
Blogger Who Made Fake Cancer Claims Finds Out Fate
Belle Gibson handed down $320K fine by Aussie judge
- In March, Belle Gibson was found guilty of breaching consumer law with her false claims on how she'd beaten her supposed brain cancer. On Thursday, Melbourne's Federal Court of Australia handed down the fine the Aussie blogger will pay as a consequence: around $320,000, the BBC reports....
McCain on Trump's POW Slight:
We're 'Very Different People'
Sep 25, 2017 5:03 AM CDT
McCain on Trump's POW Slight: We're 'Very Different People'
Senator speaks on '60 Minutes,' including his reaction on hearing 'serious' cancer diagnosis
- "They said that … the prognosis is very, very serious," John McCain said Sunday night on
as he talked about his brain cancer diagnosis, which came right after he'd had a regular checkup and was on his way back home. Per
, the 81-year-old...
Doctor: Those With McCain's
Cancer Live 16 to 18 Months
Jul 20, 2017 6:20 AM CDT
Doctor: Those With McCain's Cancer Live 16 to 18 Months
'Cancer doesn't know what it's up against,' Obama says
- Lawmakers from both parties say they're deeply saddened by the news that Sen. John McCain has an aggressive form of brain cancer . McCain has glioblastoma, a type of tumor that Michael Berens at the Translational Genomics Research Institute in Phoenix has studied for 30 years. He tells the
With Brain Tumor
as Mom Fought
Jul 3, 2017 9:15 AM CDT
Menounos Hit With Brain Tumor as Mom Fought Brain Cancer
'E! News' anchor stepping down to recover from surgery; mom's cancer now 'stable'
anchor Maria Menounos is stepping away from her job at the network as she takes time to undergo treatment for a recently discovered brain tumor,
reports. Menounos, who had been with
since 2014, tells
she started feeling lightheaded, experiencing headaches, and slurring her speech...
Boy Gets Own Diagnosis Days
After Shaving Head for Cancer
Mar 22, 2017 8:06 AM CDT
Boy Gets Own Diagnosis Days After Shaving Head for Cancer
He's still fighting for other kids to stay strong
- Just days after Benny Martinez shaved his head last year to raise money for cancer research at a school fundraiser in Park Ridge, Ill., he wound up in the emergency room while his family was vacationing at Disney World, complaining of an awful headache and nausea. A CT scan revealed...
Father Credits Facebook for
Helping Discover Brain Tumor
Sep 30, 2016 9:22 AM CDT
Father Credits Facebook for Helping Discover Brain Tumor
He insisted on brain scan after reading posts describing similar symptoms
- Welsh father of two Tom Walker considers himself "extremely lucky" that he happened to stumble upon two stories of Facebook friends with symptoms strikingly similar to his own. His doctor had chalked up his spotty vision and dizziness to vertigo, but it turns out he had a more than...
The Cancer That Kills the
Most Kids Isn't Leukemia
Sep 16, 2016 1:00 PM CDT
The Cancer That Kills the Most Kids Isn't Leukemia
Brain cancer now claims more lives
- Brain cancer is now the deadliest childhood cancer in the US, moving ahead of leukemia as a result of improved leukemia treatment and a frustrating lack of progress on brain cancer. Government statisticians reported the change in rankings Friday, drawing from a review of 15 years of death certificates, the...
May 24, 2016 8:11 AM CDT
Tragically Hip Frontman Has Brain Cancer
Gord Downie is going on tour anyway
- Canadian rock band the Tragically Hip is going on tour this summer for what could be the last time. In a statement Tuesday, the band says lead singer and songwriter Gord Downie was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer in December. Even so, the 52-year-old father of four—whose wife was...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Boy Dies After 'the Most Exciting Moment of His Life'
Baby Didn't Have Ticket for Flight. His Parents Left Him Behind
1 Killed, 2 Hurt in Rampage on DC Metro
Woman Dies After a Fall on Southwest Airlines' Jet Bridge
Eagles Player Indicted 11 Days Before Super Bowl
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.