Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Side With Dems
Nov 14, 2023 12:00 AM CST
8 Republicans Side With Dems in Mayorkas Impeachment Vote
House pushes off effort to impeach Homeland Security secretary
- The House voted Monday to push off a Republican effort to impeach Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas, ending for now a threat against the Cabinet secretary that has been brewing ever since Republicans took the House majority in January, the AP reports. Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene forced a vote on...
Republican Vote Holds as
Texas Senate Acquits Paxton
Sep 16, 2023 1:37 PM CDT
Republican Vote Holds as Texas Senate Acquits Paxton
GOP House had approved impeachment, but party-line verdict restores attorney general to office
- Republicans in the Texas Senate came to Attorney General Ken Paxton's aid on Saturday, delivering an acquittal of the impeached official on a vote at the Capitol in Austin. Paxton faced 16 articles of impeachment, each of which required 21 votes, a two-thirds majority, for conviction. On every charge,...
Prosecutors Abruptly Rest Case
in Texas AG's Impeachment
Sep 14, 2023 1:39 AM CDT
Prosecutors Abruptly Rest Case in Texas AG's Impeachment
After alleged mistress shows up, does not testify
- The prosecution in Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton's impeachment trial rested its case Wednesday in what media outlets are painting as a surprise move that was preceded by another surprise, the appearance—but failure to testify—of the AG's alleged mistress, a central figure in the case . Paxton...
6 Takes on the Biden
Sep 13, 2023 2:11 PM CDT
6 Takes on the Biden Impeachment Inquiry
Opinions range from 'it's a no brainer' to 'nothing ... justifies the drastic step'
- The US faces a third possible impeachment of a president in less than four years. GOP House Speaker Kevin McCarthy said the impeachment inquiry into President Biden, launched Tuesday , comes in response to "allegations of abuse of power, obstruction and corruption." Some onlookers agree with the reasoning, claiming...
Affair Will Be
Central to Paxton's
Sep 5, 2023 8:24 AM CDT
Affair Will Be Central to Paxton's Impeachment Trial
Texas attorney general allegedly accepted bribes from developer who hired his girlfriend
- Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton faces impeachment by the state Senate in a trial that will largely focus on an extramarital affair. As the
reports, the trial beginning Tuesday and expected to last two to three weeks "could air out the sordid details of the staunch, Christian...
McCarthy: Biden Impeachment
Inquiry May Be Considered
Jul 25, 2023 6:03 PM CDT
McCarthy: Biden Impeachment Inquiry May Be Considered
'We will follow this to the end,' he says of investigation of Biden family finances
- House Speaker Kevin McCarthy says Republican lawmakers may consider an impeachment inquiry of President Biden over unproven claims of financial misconduct, responding to enormous GOP pressure to demonstrate support for Donald Trump ahead of the 2024 presidential election. In remarks Tuesday at the Capitol, McCarthy said the questions House Republicans...
McCarthy Threatens to Open
Garland Impeachment Inquiry
Jun 26, 2023 6:40 PM CDT
McCarthy Threatens to Open Garland Impeachment Inquiry
White House official says GOP is trying to distract from tax cut plans
- House Speaker Kevin McCarthy has upped the ante in Republicans' allegations that the Justice Department is making prosecutorial decisions based on politics, suggesting that Attorney General Merrick Garland could face an impeachment inquiry. In a tweet , McCarthy tied the threat to IRS whistleblowers' contentions that a tax crime investigation included...
McCarthy Is Ready to
Wipe Trump's Record Clean
Jun 24, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
McCarthy Is Ready to Wipe Trump's Record Clean
GOP House speaker says he supports conservative effort to expunge former president's 2 impeachments
- Former President Donald Trump was the first US president to have two impeachments under his belt, and he might become the first one to have two impeachments wiped from his history—at least, that's the hope of some conservatives who are pushing to make sure that happens. GOP House...
Boebert Forces Vote, but House
Deflects on Impeachment
Jun 22, 2023 3:40 PM CDT
Boebert Forces Vote, but House Deflects on Impeachment
McCarthy lobbied against the measure, saying there's no case against Biden
- The House headed off an attempt to impeach President Biden on Thursday while Republican leaders still appeased their hardcore members who forced the vote. The chamber voted 219-208 to refer two articles of impeachment to committees that have already begun investigating the administration, Politico reports. Republican Rep. Lauren Boebert, who...
Ken Paxton's Wife Breaks
Silence on Impeachment Trial
Jun 22, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
Ken Paxton's Wife Breaks Silence on Impeachment Trial
State Sen. Angela Paxton barred from voting
- Texas state Sen. Angela Paxton won't be voting in her husband's impeachment trial. The GOP-controlled state Senate decided Wednesday night to bar her from taking any part in the trial of suspended Attorney General Ken Paxton when it begins Sept. 5, though she is required to attend, the...
FBI Arrests Man Linked to
Impeachment of Texas AG
Jun 9, 2023 4:22 AM CDT
FBI Arrests Man Linked to Impeachment of Texas AG
Real estate developer Nate Paul is at center of Ken Paxton scandal
- The FBI on Thursday arrested a businessman at the center of the scandal that led to Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton's historic impeachment , a move that came amid new questions about the men’s dealings raised by financial records the Republican's lawyers made public to try to clear...
Abbott Makes His Choice
to Replace Paxton During Trial
May 31, 2023 6:55 PM CDT
Abbott Makes His Choice to Replace Paxton During Trial
John Scott represented Trump for three days
- Gov. Greg Abbott on Wednesday appointed John Scott to temporarily serve as Texas' attorney general after the House of Representatives voted to impeach Ken Paxton over allegations of misconduct and crimes. The historic impeachment triggered Paxton's automatic suspension from office pending the outcome of a trial in the state...
Historic Texas Impeachment
Trial to Start by Aug. 28
May 30, 2023 12:32 AM CDT
Historic Texas Impeachment Trial to Start by Aug. 28
Ken Paxton has been suspended as attorney general pending trial's outcome
- A historic impeachment trial in Texas to determine whether Republican Attorney General Ken Paxton should be permanently removed from office will begin no later than Aug. 28 in the state Senate, where the jury that would determine his future could include his wife, Sen. Angela Paxton, the AP reports. Setting...
Paxton Tweets Trump Praise as
House Debates Impeachment
May 27, 2023 3:35 PM CDT
Paxton Tweets Trump Praise as House Debates Impeachment
Texas House considers sending Ken Paxton to Senate trial
- While the Texas House considered impeaching him on Saturday, Ken Paxton offered counterprograming in his personal Twitter feed. As the hearing began in the state Capitol in Austin, the state attorney general posted screenshots of praise that former President Donald Trump put up on Truth Social,
the New York Times
Panel Sends Texas House
May 25, 2023 6:30 PM CDT
Panel Sends Texas House Impeachment Recommendation
Chamber could vote Friday on removing Ken Paxton
- A legislative committee in Texas has voted unanimously to recommend that state Attorney General Ken Paxton be impeached. The House General Investigating Committee held the vote Thursday after public hearings this week in which investigators presented findings about ways they said Paxton abused the power of his office for years....
May 19, 2023 5:01 AM CDT
MTG Introduces Articles of Impeachment Against Biden
House Republicans don't actually have the votes to impeach him, however
- Marjorie Taylor Greene on Thursday introduced impeachment articles against President Biden, claiming he has failed to secure the border. She said in a press conference Thursday that Biden has "deliberately compromised our national security by refusing to enforce immigration laws," Fox News reports. That, the articles say, per...
Ken Starr Dead at 76
Sep 13, 2022 4:45 PM CDT
Ken Starr Dead at 76
His investigation led to Bill Clinton's impeachment
- Ken Starr, a former federal appellate judge and a prominent attorney whose criminal investigation of Bill Clinton led to the president’s impeachment, died Tuesday at age 76, his family said. In 2020, he was recruited to the legal team representing Donald Trump in the nation’s third presidential impeachment...
Historic Impeachment Trial
in South Dakota Concludes
Jun 22, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
Historic Impeachment Trial in South Dakota Concludes
State AG Jason Ravnsborg convicted, removed from office
The South Dakota Senate on Tuesday convicted Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg of two impeachment charges stemming from a 2020 fatal accident, removing and barring him from future office in a stinging rebuke that showed most senators didn’t believe his account of the crash. Ravnsborg, a first-term Republican who...
A Historic Senate Trial
Looms in South Dakota
Apr 12, 2022 2:28 PM CDT
A Historic Senate Trial Looms in South Dakota
State House votes to impeach Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg over fatal crash
- A historic Senate trial looms in South Dakota, where the state House on Tuesday impeached state Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg over a 2020 car crash that killed a pedestrian. The AP reports Ravnsborg, a Republican, sent two "defiant" letters to lawmakers on Monday night. In one he penned, he...
McCarthy Cautions Republicans
About Trying to Impeach Biden
Apr 11, 2022 7:15 PM CDT
McCarthy Cautions Republicans About Trying to Impeach Biden
House GOP leader says Democrats used impeachment for political reasons
- If Republicans win control of the House in this year's midterm elections, GOP Leader Kevin McCarthy has plans. His members will concentrate on "holding this administration accountable," he told Maria Bartiromo of Fox Business on Sunday. But McCarthy cautioned Republicans against a politically motivated impeachment of President...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Redwoods Surprise Scientists With a Survival Tactic
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Elusive Tire Slasher Turned Out to Be a Dog
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.