Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Customs and Border Protection
Stories 21 - 40 |
Harvard Freshman Denied
Entry to US, Deported
Aug 28, 2019 6:47 AM CDT
Harvard Freshman Denied Entry to US, Deported
He says officer disapproved of his friends' online posts
- On Friday, Palestinian teenager Ismail Ajjawi arrived in Boston on his way to start his freshman year at Harvard. Eight hours later, he was kicked out of the country. The 17-year-old, who lives in Lebanon, says his visa was canceled and he was deported after an immigration officer disapproved of...
Detained Citizen Says He Lost
26 Pounds, Couldn't Shower
Jul 28, 2019 11:00 AM CDT
Detained Citizen Says He Lost 26 Pounds, Couldn't Shower
Francisco Galicia and his mother are suing two agencies
- Francisco Galicia, the US-born 18-year-old who spent more than three weeks in border custody in Texas, says he's suing two agencies over conditions in the immigrant detention center. Galicia says he lost 26 pounds before he was released last week. Along with 60 other men, Galicia said, he was...
US-Born Teen Detained by
Border Patrol Released
Jul 23, 2019 6:04 PM CDT
US-Born Teen Detained by Border Patrol Released
Francisco Erwin Galicia's case became immigration flashpoint
- A US-born 18-year-old was released from immigration custody Tuesday after wrongfully being detained for more than three weeks, the AP reports. Francisco Erwin Galicia left a US Immigration and Customs Enforcement detention center in Pearsall, Texas, on Tuesday. His lawyer, Claudia Galan, confirmed he had been released, less than a...
Is Putting CBP
Agents at Risk
Jul 20, 2019 11:00 AM CDT
Report: Fentanyl Is Putting CBP Agents at Risk
CBP has enough fentanyl to kill roughly 794M people
- Fentanyl is pouring into America, and that's putting border officers at risk. Homeland Security released a report Friday saying border agents are seizing and storing more of the dangerous drug but aren't receiving proper protection, ABC News reports. With US Customs and Border Protection grabbing enough fentanyl in...
sunday talk shows
Jul 7, 2019 2:50 PM CDT
Homeland Chief Defends Child Facilities
Kevin McAleenan appears on ABC's 'This Week'
- Acting Homeland Security Secretary Kevin McAleenan on Sunday defended conditions at US Border Patrol stations following reports of crowded and unsanitary conditions that have heightened debate about President Donald Trump's immigration policy, a trademark issue for his reelection campaign. "It's an extraordinarily challenging situation," McAleenan tells...
Top Border Official Resigns
Abruptly After 2 Months
Jun 25, 2019 12:51 PM CDT
Top Border Official Resigns Abruptly After 2 Months
John Sanders is out as acting director of Customs and Border Patrol
- More turmoil at the agency that polices the nation's border: The acting director of Customs and Border Protection has resigned after just two months on the job, reports NBC News . "I will leave it to you to determine whether I was successful," John Sanders wrote to CBP...
For Detained Migrant Kids:
Lice, No Toothpaste or Soap
Jun 24, 2019 2:15 PM CDT
For Detained Migrant Kids: Lice, No Toothpaste or Soap
Attorney: 'Worst conditions I have ever witnessed in several years of doing these inspections'
- A series of reports in recent days describes miserable conditions for migrant children being held at a Border Patrol facility near El Paso, Texas. The reports are based on the accounts of attorneys who visited the facility in Clint to check on the conditions of the unaccompanied minors, ranging in...
CBP: Girl From India Dies
in Desert on Way to US
Jun 14, 2019 6:18 AM CDT
CBP: Girl From India Dies in Desert on Way to US
Death took place in 'dangerous and austere location' in Arizona
- The body of a 7-year-old girl believed to be from India was found this week in a remote part of the Arizona desert just over the border with Mexico, a death that a Border Patrol official is calling "senseless," reports the Daily Beast . Per a Customs and Border...
TSA Plans to Send
Hundreds to the Border
May 15, 2019 1:32 PM CDT
TSA Plans to Send Hundreds to the Border
Airport security screeners not said to be part of that group
- Summer is looming, but a number of Transportation Security Administration workers will soon head not to airports but to the US-Mexico border. CNN first reported the news by way of an internal email it viewed from Gary Renfrow to regional TSA management. In it, Renfrow cited the "immediate need...
Mystery at the
Border: Boy With
Writing on Shoes
Apr 24, 2019 10:30 AM CDT
Mystery at the Border: Boy With Writing on Shoes
3-year-old found alone in cornfield on Tuesday
- The popular kids show
flashed on a computer screen at a Border Patrol station in Texas on Tuesday. In front of the screen sat a 3-year-old boy officials had just found crying alone in a cornfield in the Rio Grande Valley near Brownsville, not far from the US-Mexico...
The Border Glut Is 'Staggering'
Mar 30, 2019 1:20 PM CDT
The Border Glut Is 'Staggering'
One analyst describes a 'system-wide collapse'
- An unprecedented migrant wave is snarling the immigrant system and peppering the Texas-Mexico border with sad sights—like dozens of families jammed under a bridge in El Paso, the
El Paso Times
reports. "It's staggering," says McAllen City Manager Roy Rodriguez. "Really, we’ve never seen...
She Died at Age 7
in CBP Custody.
Now, an Official
Cause of Death
Mar 30, 2019 9:15 AM CDT
She Died at Age 7 in CBP Custody. Now, an Official Cause of Death
Jakelin Caal Maquin died of sepsis from strep bacteria, medical examiner says
- When Jakelin Caal Maquin arrived Dec. 6 from Guatemala at the US-Mexico border with her father and more than 100 migrants, her family says she'd eaten well during her journey and wasn't sick. By early Dec. 8, the 7-year-old was dead . Customs and Border Protection, which had taken...
That's a Lot of
Pork: Feds Make
Mar 18, 2019 6:00 PM CDT
That's a Lot of Pork: Feds Make Largest Agricultural Seizure Ever
1M pounds of pork seized at New Jersey port
- Federal authorities say 1 million pounds of pork products allegedly smuggled from China have been seized at a New Jersey port, the AP reports. Troy Miller, field operations director for the Customs and Border Protection in New York and New Jersey, says it's the largest agricultural seizure ever made...
Biggest Drug Bust
in 25 Years Made
at NYC-Area Port
Mar 12, 2019 12:11 AM CDT
Biggest Drug Bust in 25 Years Made at NYC-Area Port
'Dried fruit' shipment held $77M in cocaine
- Customs agents have seized the biggest shipment of cocaine recovered at the ports of New York and New Jersey in 25 years. US Customs and Border Protection says 3,200 pounds of the drug in 60 packages were seized at Port New York/Newark on Feb. 28, the AP reports. The...
They Were Stopped
for Speaking Spanish.
Now They're Suing
Feb 15, 2019 9:42 AM CST
They Were Stopped for Speaking Spanish. Now They're Suing
Complaint: 'no legitimate reason' for CBP to detain Ana Suda, Martha Hernandez, both US citizens
- Two native-born US women were detained by a Border Patrol agent last May at a convenience store in Havre, Montana. Now those women are suing US Customs and Border Protection, noting in their complaint that the CPB agent "singled out, detained, and interrogated" Ana Suda and Martha "Mimi"...
They Looked Like Speakers.
Agents Found So Much More
Feb 9, 2019 5:30 PM CST
They Looked Like Speakers. Agents Found So Much More
Customs and Border Protection stop biggest-ever meth shipment
- What looked like a shipment of speakers leaving for Australia contained so much more—a record-high 1.7 tons of methamphetamine, ABC News reports. Customs and Border Protection also uncovered nearly 60 pounds of cocaine and 11.5 pounds of heroin in the Jan. 11 seizure at Los Angeles/Long Beach...
Pentagon Sends More
Troops to the Border
Feb 3, 2019 4:04 PM CST
Pentagon Sends More Troops to the Border
Roughly 3,750 service members will be heading south
- The Pentagon says it's sending about 3,750 more US troops to the southwest border to help out Customs and Border Protection, CNN reports. The mission is slated to last 90 days and will include mobile surveillance as well as the placement of 150 miles of wire between ports...
As Migrants Try to
Scale Border, US
Fires Tear Gas
Jan 2, 2019 3:17 AM CST
As Migrants Try to Scale Border, US Fires Tear Gas
CBP says it fired after a group of around 150 migrants threw rocks
- American authorities fired tear gas across the border into Mexico during a dangerous and chaotic situation in the early hours of 2019, officals say. Customs and Border Protection officials say agents used pepper spray and tear gas early Tuesday as a group of around 150 migrants tried to get over—...
Swabs Reveal Clue
in Migrant Boy's Death
Dec 28, 2018 8:05 AM CST
Swabs Reveal Clue in Migrant Boy's Death
Felipe Gómez Alonzo had the flu: medical investigator
- The 8-year-old Guatemalan boy who died in US custody on Christmas Eve had the flu, according to the New Mexico Office of the Medical Investigator. "Results of nasal and lung swabs have tested positive for influenza B," though "determining an accurate cause of death requires further evaluation,...
US Orders Medical Checks
on All Migrant Kids in Custody
Dec 26, 2018 8:02 AM CST
US Orders Medical Checks on All Migrant Kids in Custody
After 8-year-old boy died Christmas Eve
- US Customs and Border Protection has ordered medical checks on every child in its custody Tuesday after an 8-year-old boy from Guatemala died , marking the second death of an immigrant child in the agency's care this month. The boy, identified by Guatemalan authorities as Felipe Gómez Alonzo, had...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Fetterman Takes On Senate Dress-Code Fury With Boebert Jab
Surfer Hit the Water, Heard 'Crunch, Crunch, Crunch'
A Day Into Military Assault, Victory Is Declared
Family of 4 Shot Dead in Illinois, Along With Their Dogs
'Like Living in a Horror Film' After Minks Escape From Farm
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.