Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
SCOTUS: Bring On
the Roundup Lawsuits
Jun 21, 2022 11:05 AM CDT
SCOTUS: Bring On the Roundup Lawsuits
Court upholds $25M judgment for Edwin Hardeman, paving path to further legal action
- The Supreme Court has rejected Bayer's appeal to shut down thousands of lawsuits claiming that its Roundup weed killer causes cancer. The justices on Tuesday left in place a $25 million judgment in favor of Edwin Hardeman, a California man who says he developed cancer from using Roundup for...
Jun 24, 2020 2:20 PM CDT
Bayer: We'll Settle Suit With $10.9B Payment
The German company faces a lawsuit that involves subsidiary Monsanto
- German pharmaceutical company Bayer says it's paying up to $10.9 billion to settle a lawsuit over subsidiary Monsanto’s weedkiller Roundup, which has faced numerous lawsuits over claims it causes cancer, the AP reports. In a statement Wednesday, Bayer said it was also paying up $1.22 billion...
For Ailing Couple,
a $1.9B Disappointment
Jul 26, 2019 9:42 AM CDT
For Ailing Couple, a $1.9B Disappointment Over Roundup
Judge cuts award due to Alva and Alberta Pilliod from Bayer from $2B to $86.7M
- If $2 billion-plus seems like an astonishing amount to award in a lawsuit involving Roundup weed killer, a California judge just agreed. In May, a jury awarded $1 billion each in punitive damages to Alva and Alberta Pilliod, a husband and wife in their 70s who say they used the...
Judge May Have Just
Saved Monsanto $55M
Jul 16, 2019 11:26 AM CDT
Judge May Have Just Saved Monsanto $55M
Bayer still plans to appeal March verdict over Roundup's alleged link to cancer
- Jurors awarded too much money to a man who claims Roundup weed killer gave him cancer, according to a federal judge. Judge Vince Chhabria on Monday reduced damages to be paid to Edwin Hardeman by Monsanto owner Bayer from $80 million to $25 million. Chhabria said $20 million in punitive...
Couple With Cancer
in Roundup Lawsuit
May 14, 2019 12:56 AM CDT
Couple With Cancer Awarded $2B in Roundup Lawsuit
Bayer faces shareholder revolt
- Bayer lost its third Roundup lawsuit in a row Monday, with the jury awarding a couple an amount that dwarfs the verdicts in the previous two. The California jury awarded Alva and Alberta Pilliod, a couple in their 70s who blame the herbicide for their non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, $1 billion...
'40 Years of Corporate
Malfeasance': a 2nd
Ruling on Roundup
Mar 20, 2019 6:37 AM CDT
'40 Years of Corporate Malfeasance': a 2nd Ruling on Roundup
Jury finds weed killer caused Edwin Hardeman's cancer; next phase is whether Bayer AG is liable
- Only two cases out of more than 11,000 Roundup suits have gone to trial in the US, and as of Tuesday, they both had the same result: A jury found that the glyphosate-filled weed killer causes cancer. Reuters notes that's only phase one, however, in Edwin Hardeman's...
Calif. Man OK
With Getting $211M
Less From Monsanto
Nov 1, 2018 9:35 AM CDT
Calif. Man OK With Getting $211M Less From Monsanto
Dewayne Johnson could have demanded a new trial
- A Northern California groundskeeper said Wednesday that he'll accept a judge's reduced verdict of $78 million against Monsanto after a jury found the company's weed killer caused his cancer. Dewayne Johnson's attorney formally informed the San Francisco Superior Court that he wouldn't contest the judge'...
Gets Good News, and
$211M in Bad News
Oct 23, 2018 5:55 AM CDT
Monsanto Plaintiff Gets Good News, and $211M in Bad News
Judge upholds verdict against company but substantially cuts punitive damages award
- A Northern California judge on Monday upheld a jury's verdict that found Monsanto's weed killer caused a groundskeeper's cancer, but she slashed the amount of money to be paid from $289 million to $78 million. In denying Monsanto's request for a new trial, San Francisco Superior...
Scientists Make 'Critical'
Find on Honeybees, Herbicide
Sep 25, 2018 8:54 AM CDT
Scientists Make 'Critical' Find on Honeybees, Herbicide
Glyphosate, used in Monsanto's Roundup, may kill off insects' essential gut bacteria
- Animals don't seem to be harmed by the world's most widely used weedkiller, but bees apparently don't fall under that protective umbrella. "This is really critical," one entomologist tells
of a new study showing the digestive system of honeybees (and possibly other bees as...
Vietnam: $289M Verdict
Aug 29, 2018 4:03 AM CDT
Vietnam: $289M Verdict Against Monsanto Sets Precedent
The country wants Monsanto to pay for Agent Orange use
- Bayer may want to pop one of its namesake aspirins. In addition to facing some 8,000 lawsuits ( at last count ) claiming that glyphosate herbicides produced by Monsanto—a company that the drugmaker bought in June—cause cancer, Vietnam is now demanding compensation because of the use of...
Wins $289M From
'Bigger Than Me'
Aug 11, 2018 5:30 AM CDT
Ex-Groundskeeper Wins $289M From Monsanto: Case 'Bigger Than Me'
Dewayne Johnson wins suit against company in San Francisco
- A San Francisco jury on Friday ordered agribusiness giant Monsanto to pay $289 million to an ex-school groundskeeper dying of cancer, saying the company's Roundup weed killer contributed to his disease. Dewayne Johnson's suit was the first of thousands of cases filed in state and federal courts alleging...
Judge Delivers Bad News
to Makers of Roundup
Jul 11, 2018 1:23 PM CDT
Judge Delivers Bad News to Makers of Roundup
Hundreds of lawsuits alleging a link to cancer move forward
- A federal judge ruled Tuesday that hundreds of lawsuits by people attributing their cancer to the weed-killer Roundup can proceed to trial, reports Reuters . Despite referring to expert opinions that active ingredient glyphosate causes cancer as "shaky," US District Judge Vince Chhabria concluded that a jury might find...
Dying Man Gets
His Day in Court
in case you missed it
Jun 23, 2018 1:10 PM CDT
Dying Man Gets His Day in Court Against Monsanto
He blames Roundup for his cancer
- DeWayne Johnson is going to die—but first, he will see the company he blames for his cancer in court. Johnson, a 46-year-old father of three, is the first of hundreds of cancer patients suing Monsanto to have his case go to trial, the
International Business Times
reports. The California...
New Owners Will Lose
Jun 4, 2018 6:30 PM CDT
New Owners Will Lose Monsanto Name
The agri-chemical company will get some new branding once it's officially acquired by Bayer
- Monsanto , a name many critics equate with genetically modified crops and the heavy use of herbicides, will be rebranded once German pharma leader Bayer takes the helm, NPR reports. Bayer announced in 2016 it would acquire the agri-chemical business and this week said, following the takeover, "Monsanto will...
Monsanto Weed Killer Is Huge,
Dec 11, 2017 8:03 AM CST
Monsanto Weed Killer Is Huge, Contentious—and Incentivized
Monsanto offering a big rebate to farmers who use XtendiMax on soybeans in 2018
- The crop in question is soybeans, but there's now a big carrot involved. Reuters reports Monsanto is offering what can amount to a more than 50% rebate to farmers who agree to use the herbicide XtendiMax with VaporGrip on their 2018 soybean crop. A rep for Monsanto calls use...
Unexpected Ben & Jerry's
Jul 26, 2017 12:30 PM CDT
Unexpected Ben & Jerry's Ingredient: Herbicide
Traces of glyphosate found in ice cream samples
- Ben & Jerry's: non-GMO , fair trade , made with " caring dairy " and cage-free eggs , concerned with the environment ... and containing herbicide? The popular ice cream brand is under fire after the Organic Consumers Association released Tuesday a list of food brands found to contain traces of glyphosate, the...
California Has Bad News for
Signature Monsanto Product
Jun 27, 2017 9:15 AM CDT
California Has Bad News for Signature Monsanto Product
Glyphosate, active ingredient in Roundup, to be added to state's carcinogens list
- California's latest environmental and health crackdown has Monsanto in its crosshairs: Reuters reports that as of July 7, glyphosate , the herbicide serving as the main ingredient in the agrochemical company's Roundup weed killer, will take a spot on the Golden State's list of cancer-causing chemicals, per the...
Risks of Roundup
Mar 16, 2017 11:46 AM CDT
Monsanto Under Fire Over Alleged Risks of Roundup
But company also got some good news out of Europe
- Monsanto has had a big—and mostly bad—week, with lots of headlines revolving around something called glyphosate, the key ingredient in its popular herbicide Roundup. Here's what's happening:
On Friday, Monsanto lost a court fight to prevent California from labeling glyphosate a carcinogen, reports the
Mar 3, 2017 5:39 PM CST
5 Best, 5 Worst Company Reputations
- Congrats, Amazon. The company has the best reputation among American consumers, according to 24/7 Wall St. , which lists the companies with the best and worst reputations based on the 2017 Harris Poll and American Customer Satisfaction Index. The top five in each category, with a reputation score out of 100:...
by Bayer for $66B
Sep 14, 2016 9:52 AM CDT
Chemical Brothers: Monsanto Acquired by Bayer for $66B
Bayer AG is paying big bucks to acquire the seed and weedkiller company
- After months of courtship, German drug and farm chemical maker Bayer AG has finally reached an agreement to buy US seed and weedkiller company Monsanto, in a deal valued at $66 billion, the AP reports. In a statement Wednesday, Bayer said it's paying Monsanto shareholders $128 per share in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Here's What People Are Saying After Biden's State of the Union
Elian Gonzalez Is Making Headlines Again
After Tyre Nichols' Beating, a Pic Began Making the Rounds
Romney Had It Out With George Santos at SOTU
Cops Reveal Cause of Death for Michigan Rappers, Friend
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.