Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Jun 12, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
JPMorgan Settles With Epstein Victims for $290M
'We all now understand that Epstein's behavior was monstrous,' says bank accused of enabling him
- JPMorgan Chase has reached a settlement in a class-action lawsuit with victims of financier Jeffrey Epstein. Sources tell the
that the banking giant has agreed to pay $290 million. Epstein was arrested in 2019 on federal charges accusing him of paying underage girls hundreds of dollars in cash...
Elon Musk to Be
May 16, 2023 12:01 AM CDT
Elon Musk to Be Subpoenaed Regarding Jeffrey Epstein
US Virgin Islands wants documents from billionaire
- There have long been rumors that Jeffrey Epstein once advised Elon Musk , and now the US Virgin Islands is looking to subpoena the Tesla CEO as part of a lawsuit related to the alleged billionaire sex trafficker. The Virgin Islands is suing JPMorgan Chase over the bank's ties to...
It's the Second-Largest Bank
Failure in US History
May 1, 2023 6:08 AM CDT
It's the Second-Largest Bank Failure in US History
Regulators seize First Republic, sell most of it to JPMorgan Chase
- Another midsize US bank has gone under, the third in two months. Regulators seized First Republic Bank on Monday and sold the bulk of it to the nation's largest bank, JPMorgan Chase, reports the BBC . The move, however, which was telegraphed over the weekend , is not being received as...
SEC: Buzzy Start-Up Founder
Committed 'Old-School Fraud'
Apr 5, 2023 10:03 AM CDT
SEC: Buzzy Start-Up Founder Committed 'Old-School Fraud'
Charlie Javice is charged in connection with her sale of Frank to JPMorgan Chase
- The tables have turned for Charlie Javice, who landed a spot on
30 Under 30 list and sold her college financial planning platform, Frank, to JPMorgan Chase for $175 million. On Tuesday, the DOJ and SEC charged the 31-year-old with criminal and civil fraud charges in relation to the...
Women Who Accused Epstein
Now Go After Big Banks
Nov 25, 2022 7:41 AM CST
Women Who Accused Epstein Now Go After Big Banks
They allege JPMorgan, Deutsche Bank facilitated, profited from sex trafficking operations
- JPMorgan Chase and Deutsche Bank have each been hit with a lawsuit that claims the banks enabled Jeffrey Epstein's sex trafficking operations and financially benefited from doing so. The suits, brought by anonymous female plaintiffs who accused Epstein of sex abuse, are seeking class-action status and unspecified damages. The...
Cuts Ties With Kanye West
Oct 14, 2022 2:00 AM CDT
JPMorgan Chase Cuts Ties With Kanye West
But the break was planned before anti-Semitic diatribes
- Candace Owens, the controversial conservative commentator who appeared alongside Kanye West wearing a "White Lives Matter" shirt at Paris Fashion Week, on Wednesday night posted a letter from JPMorgan Chase to the rapper announcing that the bank was cutting ties with West's company, Yeezy Inc. However, as TMZ...
Oct 11, 2022 6:39 AM CDT
Jamie Dimon: Recession Lies Ahead
'This is serious stuff,' JPMorgan Chase CEO says, as Fed didn't do nearly enough in time
- The US economy is "actually still doing well" right now, JPMorgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon said Monday—but that statement comes with a big "but." Dimon, in an interview with CNBC , continued, "you can’t talk about the economy without talking about stuff in the future—...
Russian Oligarch Is
Officially Out of a Superyacht
Sep 28, 2022 5:05 AM CDT
Russian Oligarch Is Officially Out of a Superyacht
Dmitry Pumpyansky's luxury boat was the first to be auctioned, for $37.5M, over Ukraine sanctions
The luxury superyacht seized from Russian oligarch Dmitry Pumpyansky and put up for sale in the first auction of its kind related to Russia's invasion of Ukraine ended up selling for $37.5 million in an auction that garnered 63 bids, the
reports. The buyer's identity...
Bank CEO: 'Brace Yourself'
for an Economic 'Hurricane'
Jun 2, 2022 5:13 AM CDT
Bank CEO: 'Brace Yourself' for an Economic 'Hurricane'
'We don’t know if it’s a minor one or Superstorm Sandy,' Jamie Dimon says
- The chief of America's largest bank says an economic "hurricane" is brewing and the Federal Reserve will face a huge challenge as it tries to rein in inflation without causing a recession. "Right now it's kind of sunny, things are doing fine. Everyone thinks the Fed...
Apr 4, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
Jamie Dimon Warns of Unprecedented Trifecta
Pandemic recovery, Ukraine war, and high inflation could 'dramatically increase' risks to economy
- JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon is out with his annual letter to shareholders, which Axios notes is closely watched in financial circles. The
Wall Street Journal
finds that it's less rosy than last year, when he saw a potential "Goldilocks" moment of sustained growth on the horizon. This year,...
JP Morgan CEO
Just Got a Raise
Jan 21, 2022 12:42 PM CST
JP Morgan CEO Jamie Dimon Just Got a Raise
He earned $34.5M in stocks and cash in 2021
- At an age where many people are gearing up for retirement, the 65-year-old CEO of JPMorgan Chase got 50 million reasons to stay in his post. Jamie Dimon received a $50 million bonus in early 2021 as an incentive to stay with the mega bank for a minimum of five...
Regrets Joke About
Nov 24, 2021 11:36 AM CST
JPMorgan CEO Regrets Joke About Chinese Government
Jamie Dimon said bank would probably outlast Chinese Communist Party
- JPMorgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon says "he truly regrets" a quip he made this week about JPMorgan outlasting the Chinese Communist Party. At an event in Boston Tuesday, Dimon said, "I was just in Hong Kong and I made a joke that the Communist Party is celebrating its...
Morgan Stanley to
Bar the Unvaccinated
Jun 23, 2021 7:22 AM CDT
Morgan Stanley to Bar the Unvaccinated
Only fully vaccinated people will be allowed inside New York offices starting July 12
- Investment bank Morgan Stanley plans to lift mask and physical distancing requirements in its offices next month, but only after banning unvaccinated workers, clients, and visitors. The company told its workforce on Tuesday that employees and clients who are not fully vaccinated against COVID-19 will be unable to return to...
Jesuits Promise $100M
for Slavery Reparations
Mar 16, 2021 8:33 AM CDT
Jesuits Promise $100M for Slavery Reparations
Trust will benefit descendants of enslaved people, including those sold by Jesuits in 1838
- The Catholic order of Jesuit priests has pledged to raise $100 million for descendants of the enslaved people it owned in what the
New York Times
reports is "one of the largest efforts by an institution to atone for slavery." The order relied on slave labor and sales...
ATM Customer Makes
Startling Discovery at Bank
Oct 22, 2020 11:09 AM CDT
ATM Customer Makes Startling Discovery at Bank
Nature's masked 'bandits' had broken in to a California Chase and were wreaking havoc
- Some faces were made for radio; others were made for breaking into banks. CBS San Francisco and KPIX report that a customer was using an ATM outside a Chase bank in Redwood City, Calif., around 7:30am Tuesday morning when he saw what he thought was a stuffed animal on...
Has Dug Up
Sep 21, 2020 4:03 AM CDT
BuzzFeed Has Dug Up Damning Bank Documents
The 'FinCEN files' show how criminals, terrorists, and corrupt leaders use Western banks
- The new Panama Papers are out, and they're just as ugly—if not worse. Leaked government documents show that big banks are laundering untold trillions of dollars for shady operators around the world and getting away with it, BuzzFeed reports. JPMorgan Chase and HSBC appear to be among the...
Survives Health Scare
Mar 6, 2020 1:46 AM CST
JPMorgan Chief Survives Health Scare
Jamie Dimon had emergency heart surgery
- JPMorgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon is recovering from another health scare, six years after he survived throat cancer . The bank says the CEO is "recovering well" after emergency heart surgery Thursday to treat an acute aortic dissection—a separation of tissues in the aorta wall, which is often fatal....
Chase Slammed for
Apr 30, 2019 10:30 AM CDT
Chase Slammed for 'Poor-Shaming' After 'Motivational' Tweet
Elizabeth Warren among critics hitting Chase
- Chase Bank's #MondayMotivation tweet was better suited for #ToneDeafTuesday, according to critics. The since-deleted tweet set up a hypothetical conversation between a bank account and its owner, who ponders the reasons for a low balance. "I guess we'll never know," the customer said, despite the bank...
Mar 18, 2019 4:41 PM CDT
Jamie Dimon: We've 'Bifurcated' the Economy
JP Morgan Chase CEO says the poor are being left behind
- There are two Americas, according to JPMorgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon: In one, people are benefiting from corporations that are doing well. In the other, however, people are really struggling. "I don't want to be a tone deaf CEO," Dimon said, per CNBC , at the bank's...
It Was a Sinkhole.
Then They Saw
the Orange Cord
in case you missed it
Feb 3, 2019 12:40 PM CST
They Thought It Was a Sinkhole. Then They Saw the Orange Cord
FBI investigating after public works employees find secret tunnel leading to Florida bank
- It started out as public works employees checking out a potential sinkhole or pothole; it ended up with the FBI trying to solve what the
is now calling a "bank caper." What the workers spotted in the hole in Pembroke Pines, Fla., on Tuesday that raised...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
He's Erasing a 2012 Murder, One Pitch at a Time
Forget WFH. It's Time to WFG
Big Tobacco Made Junk Food Addictive, Too
She Just Broke Marathon Record by 2 Minutes
This Time, Senator May Not Survive His Bribery Scandal
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.