Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Alpaca Set for Execution
Gets a Human Shield
Aug 12, 2021 10:35 AM CDT
Alpaca Set for Execution Gets a Human Shield
Male tested positive for bovine tuberculosis; supporters say the tests are flawed
- If dogs are man's best friend, alpacas must not be far behind, given that more than 100,000 people are appealing to save an alpaca in England from execution. Geronimo, an 8-year-old who came to Gloucestershire from New Zealand four years ago, tested positive for bovine tuberculosis when his...
She Called Out James Corden,
Is Now Getting Death Threats
in case you missed it
Jul 3, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
She Called Out James Corden, Is Now Getting Death Threats
Petition creator Kim Saira wants an apology for segment she sees as anti-Asian
Late Late Show
host James Corden has vowed to reform his occasional "Spill Your Guts or Fill Your Guts" segment, but that's not enough for critics who call it racist. Some 46,000 people have signed a Change.org petition demanding a public apology, a donation to Asian...
Jun 16, 2021 12:12 PM CDT
Some Unusual Petitions About Bezos Are Circulating
10K want Amazon CEO denied re-entry to Earth, others want him to eat art
- The way Jeff Bezos tells it, his trip to space next month will be the fulfillment of a childhood dream . In the view of some 10,000 critics, it will instead represent the ascent of "an evil overlord hellbent on global domination." More than 10,000 people have...
Petition Wants to Nix Melania's
'Boring Tribute to Herself'
Apr 30, 2021 10:08 AM CDT
Petition Wants to Nix Melania's 'Boring Tribute to Herself'
Signees want first lady Jill Biden to restore Rose Garden to the Jackie O version
- When Melania Trump redesigned the White House's Rose Garden last summer, the result wasn't embraced by all. While several upgrades were made, including an improved drainage system and tech enhancements to make the site more media-friendly, critics were peeved that the then-first lady removed some trees and many...
Dictionary Changes Its
Definition of 'Woman'
Nov 8, 2020 3:30 PM CST
Dictionary Changes Its Definition of 'Woman'
But Oxford Dictionaries clings to the notion that the 'b-word' means 'woman'
- Oxford University Press has amended its dictionaries after a pressure campaign alleged "derogatory" and "sexist" definitions of the word "woman," the
reports. Among the changes to Oxford Dictionaries: A woman is now listed as "a person's wife, girlfriend, or female lover" instead of...
Critics Bash Netflix Film They
Say Sexualizes Young Girls
Aug 21, 2020 11:16 AM CDT
Critics Bash Netflix Film They Say Sexualizes Young Girls
Detractors want Netflix to drop 'Cuties,' which won Sundance award; defenders say it's a 'beautiful film'
- Netflix is taking heat over an award-winning French film on its platform from those who say the movie's promotional materials, as well as the film itself, sexualizes young girls. Per the
Los Angeles Times
, the movie is about a rebellious 11-year-old girl who joins a "free-spirited dance crew"...
Names After All
Aug 1, 2020 8:00 AM CDT
Trader Joe's: We're Keeping Ethnic Food Names After All
Chain seems to do 180 after teen's petition to change branding she said was offensive
- A California teen's petition to get Trader Joe's to change the branding on some of its international food items looked like it hit home with the grocery chain, but after hinting on a phaseout, management seems to be backtracking on that plan. Briones Bedell has noted some of...
125K Want to
Jul 22, 2020 9:50 AM CDT
125K Want to #FreeBritney
Fans seek end to 12-year conservatorship despite singer's claim she's 'happy'
- A #FreeBritney protest is planned Wednesday outside a Los Angeles court, where Britney Spears is to appear remotely to discuss her conservatorship case . So why exactly do fans think the singer—shown recently lounging in a pool and doing yoga on a beach —needs saving? Well, it's complicated....
Petition: Trader Joe's,
Remove 'Racist' Branding
Jul 18, 2020 3:00 PM CDT
Petition: Trader Joe's, Remove 'Racist' Branding
A California high school senior is demanding change at the popular American chain
- An online petition is demanding that Trader Joe's remove "racist branding" from so-called ethnic foods like "Trader Ming's" and "Arabian Joe"—and even reconsider its store name,
reports. "The grocery chain labels some of its ethnic foods with modifications of '...
Petition Seeks to
Paris Jackson Film
Jul 2, 2020 4:50 AM CDT
Petition Seeks to Block 'Blasphemous' Paris Jackson Film
Michael Jackson's daughter plays Jesus in Habit
- Christian campaigners may have inadvertently given a "blasphemous" new movie featuring Paris Jackson as Jesus plenty of free publicity. A Change.org petition seeking to block the release of Habit now has more than 275,000 signatures, but it has also brought the movie to wider attention. The petition,...
Suspended Prof Refused to
Alter Final Exam Amid Protests
Jun 10, 2020 7:13 AM CDT
Suspended Prof Refused to Alter Final Exam Amid Protests
Gordon Klein of UCLA is no fan of 'special treatment'
- A professor at UCLA for 39 years has been suspended—and is now receiving police protection—after refusing a request to alter final exams in response to the "traumas" of black students. Accounting lecturer Gordon Klein said he was only following his supervisor's orders when he rejected the...
Boycott the Beach Boys
Feb 4, 2020 6:21 AM CST
Brian Wilson: Boycott the Beach Boys
Tweet comes as Mike Love's band is set to perform for Safari Club International
- A founding member of the Beach Boys wants people to boycott, um, the Beach Boys. In a Monday tweet , Brian Wilson linked to an online petition asking fans to stop supporting the band until it withdraws from a Wednesday concert at Safari Club International's annual convention in Nevada, where...
65K Sign Petition
to Change Date
Jul 26, 2019 12:56 AM CDT
65K Sign Petition to Change Date of Halloween
They ask Trump to shift it to last Saturday in October
- It's late July, and a surprising number of people have Halloween on their minds. A petition asking President Trump to change the date of Halloween from Oct. 31 to the last Saturday in October, which falls on Oct. 26 this year, is gathering steam and now has more than...
for Keanu Reeves
Hits New Peak
Jun 21, 2019 9:57 AM CDT
Internet's Love for Keanu Reeves Hits New Peak
Petition seeks 'Time' honor, 6 months ahead of announcement
- A subreddit dedicated to his awesomeness is not enough for fans of Keanu Reeves, who've launched a petition demanding the actor be named
's Person of the Year.
is at least listening. "There's no doubt that Reeves is the Internet's man of the moment,...
Christian Group's Netflix
Petition Gets the Job Done
Jun 21, 2019 7:36 AM CDT
Christian Group's Netflix Petition Gets the Job Done
Netflix is on board; Amazon not so much
- Mission accomplished for Return to Order —kind of. "We promise not to make any more," an official Netflix account tweeted Thursday in response to the Christian group's petition demanding the company cancel
. Thing is, the show is made by Amazon Prime. Amazon also got...
20K Christians Demand
Netflix Cancel Amazon Show
Jun 20, 2019 9:40 AM CDT
20K Christians Demand Netflix Cancel Amazon Show
Return to Order claims 'Good Omens' normalizes Satanism
is getting good reviews , with the
calling the six-part miniseries "a devilishly funny love letter" to the 1990 fantasy novel from Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, on which it's based. But some 20,000 Christians aren't impressed, having signed a petition demanding Netflix...
They Made Her Wear Heels to
Work. So She Started #KuToo
Jun 4, 2019 8:20 AM CDT
They Made Her Wear Heels to Work. So She Started #KuToo
Artist Yumi Ishikawa is leading campaign to ban high heels requirements in the workplace
- Workplace dress codes can be annoying, but in Japan, there's a crusade to get rid of one mandate in particular, and it comes with its own hashtag: #KuToo. CNN notes the campaign and hashtag—a play on two words meaning "shoes" and "pain," and meant to...
Fans Cry for Remake,
a Defense From Stephen King
May 17, 2019 8:03 AM CDT
Fans Cry for Remake, a Defense From Stephen King
Nearly 800K have now signed petition to HBO
- In a seemingly appropriate twist for the realm of Westeros, fans are turning on
Game of Thrones
. A Change.org petition calling on HBO to remake the eighth and final season of the show "with competent writers" launched last Thursday and saw a huge spike in support this week,...
Lawmaker Is Mailed
1.7K Decks of Cards
Apr 25, 2019 9:18 AM CDT
Lawmaker Is Mailed 1.7K Decks of Cards
Wash. state Sen. Maureen Walsh gets the hint
- Nurses weren't pleased last week when a lawmaker said nurses in Washington state's rural hospitals "probably play cards for a considerable amount of the day." They've come up with an interesting way to voice that displeasure. GOP state Sen. Maureen Walsh says she has received...
Dad Vents About Teacher.
Now 16K Want Her Fired
Apr 20, 2019 5:40 PM CDT
Dad Vents About Teacher. Now 16K Want Her Fired
Chris Piland's frustration triggers a Change.org petition
- A Pennsylvania dad's frustration has boiled over and put his son's math teacher in the hot seat, Fox News reports. On Tuesday, Chris Piland posted a Facebook photo of his son's second-grade math assignment with a comment from the teacher: "Absolutely pathetic. He answered 13 in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
US Downs Chinese Balloon Off South Carolina Coast
Now There's a 2nd Balloon, per Pentagon
US Braces for China's Response
A Vital Mineral Deposit Could Bring Big Change to Nebraska Village
Bodies Dumped in Bogs Over 7K Years Reveal a Nasty End
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.