Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Kevin McCarthy to Exit the House at Month's End
Stories 21 - 40 |
She Found Out
She Had Cancer.
Then, a 'God
Oct 12, 2018 7:56 AM CDT
She Found Out She Had Cancer. Then, a 'God Moment'
Nurse Iris Zink donated her kidney to longtime patient and friend Ginny Holcomb
- Everyone hopes for a caring and compassionate nurse when they're ailing, but one Michigan woman's caretaker went "above and beyond the call of duty," per
Becker's Hospital Review
. For more than 15 years, nurse practitioner Iris Zink has treated Ginny Holcomb at Lansing Rheumatology, and...
'Healthy' Organ Donor
Kills 3 in 'Extraordinary' Case
Sep 16, 2018 10:35 AM CDT
'Healthy' Organ Donor Kills 3 in 'Extraordinary' Case
Tests just couldn't find the cancer cells, report says
- All four of them received organs from an apparently cancer-free donor, and three of them died—of cancer. In what researchers are calling an "extraordinary case," four organ-recipients from a 53-year-old stroke victim all developed breast cancer, LiveScience reports. A new report says the donor died in 2007,...
Russia: Asking for OK Before
Taking Organs Is 'Inhumane'
Mar 24, 2018 4:31 PM CDT
Russia: Asking for OK Before Taking Organs Is 'Inhumane'
European Court of Human Rights hearing 2 cases on Russia's organ donation law
- At least two lawsuits filed at a top European court claim Russia violated Europe's Human Rights Convention by removing organs from the recently dead without telling relatives. Russia's response: Asking relatives' permission would be "inhumane." Documents provided to the AP detail how Russia is fighting charges...
Twins Shared a Liver Disease.
Why Only One Was Saved
Mar 22, 2018 6:38 AM CDT
Twins Shared a Liver Disease. Why Only One Was Saved
Mom blames shortage of organs, which forced the boys to get sicker before being put on list
- Margi Coats knew her son was dying. "I stayed awake holding his hand all night with my heart pounding, waiting for him to take his last breath," she says of 18-year-old Nick's final hours. "It's the most frightening thing in the world for a mother....
Girl Save 8 Lives
Sep 8, 2017 11:52 AM CDT
Organs From 13-Year-Old Girl Save 8 Lives
Jemima Layzell, who died of a brain aneurysm, breaks a UK record
- Eight people, including five children, have a 13-year-old organ donor to thank for their lives—and that donor has entered the UK record books. The
reports on Jemima Layzell, who collapsed from a brain aneurysm while helping prep for her mom's birthday party in March 2012. Jemima died...
Was an 8-Year-Old's Death
Accelerated to Harvest Organs?
Jun 13, 2017 3:03 AM CDT
Was an 8-Year-Old's Death Accelerated to Harvest Organs?
LAPD is investigating the case
- Police are looking into potential foul play at a hospital where an 8-year-old boy’s organs were donated after he was taken off life support four years ago. The
reports that Cole Hartman went into cardiac arrest after almost drowning in his home’s washing machine. After being...
His Son Was Murdered.
Then, an 'Astonishing Effect'
May 5, 2017 7:50 PM CDT
His Son Was Murdered. Then, an 'Astonishing Effect'
Boost in Italy's organ donation rate credited to Nicholas Green
- Nineteen-year-old Maria Pia Pedala was in a coma from liver failure in Sicily, Italy, on Sept. 29, 1994, when a 7-year-old American boy was shot dead while on vacation with his family in the country. Though Italy had one of the lowest rates of organ donation in western Europe at...
What It's Like to Wait for
a Baby Who Won't Live
Apr 28, 2017 12:17 PM CDT
What It's Like to Wait for a Baby Who Won't Live
Royce Young shares the story of his daughter, Eva Grace
- You may have read about Eva Grace Young, whose parents found out at a routine 19-week ultrasound that she had anencephaly and would not live long, if at all, after birth. They made the courageous choice to carry the pregnancy to term and donate Eva's organs, a decision that...
After Devastating Ultrasound,
a Remarkable Decision
Feb 25, 2017 12:26 PM CST
After Devastating Ultrasound, a Remarkable Decision
Eva will be born so her organs can be donated
- Keri Young was nearly halfway through her pregnancy when she and her husband learned that the girl she was carrying was terminally ill. Suffering from anencephaly, the fetus was developing without parts of her brain, and in almost all cases these babies die within a day or two of birth,...
A 2006 Suicide Attempt Took
His Face. He Just Got Another
Feb 20, 2017 9:50 AM CST
A 2006 Suicide Attempt Took His Face. He Just Got Another
Andy Sandness becomes Mayo Clinic's first face transplant recipient
- Andy Sandness didn't want to die—but he didn't realize that until he tried to take his own life on Dec. 23, 2006. The "super, super depressed" 21-year-old Wyoming man had shot himself beneath the chin with a rifle; when police arrived, he begged them to save...
Number of French
Organ Donors Just Shot Up
Jan 3, 2017 2:13 PM CST
Number of French Organ Donors Just Shot Up
New law presumes consent unless you opt out
- French people who die will become organ donors unless they specifically opt out before their death, under a new law that took effect on the first day of 2017. Previously, the families of French citizens who had not specified whether they wanted to be organ donors were contacted after their...
After Donating a Kidney, This
Medical Student Now Regrets It
Oct 3, 2016 11:50 AM CDT
After Donating a Kidney, This Medical Student Now Regrets It
'I am angry that I was never fully informed of the lack of research'
- When he was 18, Michael Poulson did something that is undeniably selfless and brave: He donated a kidney to his stepfather's brother. Eight years later, both men are doing fine. But Poulson is now a medical student, and in an essay at the
, he writes that he...
Mom Learns Dead Son's Heart Is Still in the Family
Jul 25, 2016 8:47 AM CDT
Mom Learns Dead Son's Heart Is Still in the Family
Adrian Murry says the news came as a 'gift'
- "I just lost it," Adrian Murry says—not of the day she lost her son in a workplace accident, but of the day she found out his heart went to a family member. When 25-year-old Kendrick Murry died from a head injury in September 2015, his mother learned...
Organ Is Donated
Jul 5, 2016 6:55 PM CDT
107-Year-Old Organ Is Donated
Woman becomes Scotland's oldest organ donor
- You know what they say: You're never too old to donate an organ. Well, they should say that, anyway. The
reports a woman recently became Scotland's oldest organ donor after dying at the age of 107. Her corneas were removed and are now helping a young...
1 in 11 Organ Donors Died
of Drug Overdose Last Year
May 2, 2016 9:39 AM CDT
1 in 11 Organ Donors Died of Drug Overdose Last Year
More than 20 people die every day waiting for an organ transplant
- As the number of Americans dying of drug overdoses continues to rise—thanks in large part to an opioid epidemic—so too has the number of organ donors. In fact, the percentage of donors who died of overdoses has nearly tripled since 2006, according to data gathered by the United...
Mar 10, 2016 6:51 AM CST
New Method Could Revolutionize Kidney Transplants
Incompatible organs now much easier to transplant
- Exciting news for people on transplant waiting lists: In a breakthrough that experts say could revolutionize kidney transplants, a new procedure called "desensitization" has allowed doctors to alter patients' immune systems and give them kidneys from living donors previously considered incompatible, reports the
New York Times
. Patients who received...
Mom Hears Dead Son
Inside 4-Year-Old Girl
Jan 31, 2016 3:00 PM CST
Mom Hears Dead Son Inside 4-Year-Old Girl
Heather Clark donated her son's heart after he died
- The mother of a boy who died under suspicious circumstances was able to hear his heart beat again—inside the body of a 4-year-old girl. Heather Clark, who donated her son's organs after his death in 2013, visited the Phoenix family of donor recipient Jordan Drake for the emotional...
In Final Heroic Act,
Dec 24, 2015 7:06 AM CST
In Final Heroic Act, Man Donates Organs to Fellow Vets
In the final moments of Army veteran Matthew Whalen's life, a tribute
- As Army veteran Matthew Whalen was wheeled down the halls of Plaza Fort Worth Medical Center in Texas in his final moments on Monday, current and former service members stood at attention in an emotional tribute. His wife, fellow veteran Hannah Whalen, said her final and tearful "I love...
New Device Pumps
Life Into 'Dead' Hearts
Sep 6, 2015 7:28 AM CDT
New Device Pumps Life Into 'Dead' Hearts
It could raise the number available for transplant by a third
- The number of hearts available to thousands of Americans requiring a transplant every year could increase by up to 30% if a new piece of medical technology developed in Massachusetts is approved for use in the US, the
MIT Technology Review
reports. TransMedics' Organ Care System—known as "heart...
Teacher's Kidney a
Match for Her Student, 6
Feb 24, 2015 1:00 AM CST
Teacher's Kidney a Match for Her Student, 6
Lindsey Painter to give Matthew Parker her kidney
- Matthew Parker only makes it to Lindsey Painter's first-grade class two days a week, but the 6-year-old's attendance record is about to get a lot better: The teacher is giving him one of her kidneys and he will soon be able to go school full-time instead of going...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Tuberville Makes Surprise Reversal on Military Holds
Hollywood Is Going After Lauren Boebert
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.