Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
More Witness Interviews
in Kabul Bombing Ordered
Sep 15, 2023 5:20 PM CDT
More Witness Interviews in Kabul Bombing Ordered
US general says he wants new accounts of airport attack taken seriously
- For the first time, almost 20 eyewitnesses to the bombing at the Kabul airport as US forces were leaving Afghanistan will be able to tell their stories to Pentagon investigators. Gen. Michael Kurilla ordered the interviews of US personnel who were wounded in the August 2021 attack and whose public...
Afghan Immigrant Who Helped
US Forces Killed as Lyft Driver
Jul 7, 2023 9:03 AM CDT
Afghan Immigrant Who Helped US Forces Killed as Lyft Driver
Nasrat Ahmad Yar, a 31-year-old father of four, was fatally shot in DC
- A 31-year-old father of four driving for Lyft was shot to death in Washington, DC, during an apparent botched robbery, say police. And the death of Nasrat Ahmad Yar around midnight on Monday has another tragic aspect: Ahmad Yar is from Afghanistan, where he worked as an interpreter for US...
Judge Says Decorated
Committed War Crimes
Jun 1, 2023 5:47 AM CDT
Judge Says Decorated Australian Veteran Committed War Crimes
Ben Roberts-Smith loses defamation case
- Ben Roberts-Smith, Australia's most decorated living veteran, has lost his defamation case against three newspapers that reported that he had committed war crimes in Afghanistan. After a year-long, high-profile trial, federal Justice Anthony Besanko determined that the newspapers have proven that the former Special Air Services had committed war...
Mar 8, 2023 6:20 PM CST
Veterans Testify of 'Catastrophic' Afghanistan Exit
'No one was held accountable'
- Active-service members and veterans provided firsthand testimony Wednesday about the chaotic US withdrawal from Afghanistan, describing in harrowing detail the carnage and death they witnessed on the ground while imploring Congress to help the allies left behind. Former Marine Sgt. Tyler Vargas-Andrews testified to the House Foreign Affairs Committee about...
Feb 12, 2022 12:30 PM CST
Afghans Protest Biden Order
Demonstrators oppose decision on frozen funds, demand compensation for war deaths
- Demonstrators in Afghanistan's capital Saturday condemned President Joe Biden’s order freeing up $3.5 billion in Afghan assets held in the US for families of America's 9/11 victims—saying the money belongs to Afghans. Protesters who gathered outside Kabul's grand Eid Gah mosque asked America for...
Pentagon Adjusts Account
of Kabul Airport Attack
Feb 4, 2022 5:20 PM CST
Pentagon Adjusts Account of Kabul Airport Attack
Investigation concludes that a single bomber was responsible
- The mass killing at the Kabul airport last August, as US forces were withdrawing from Afghanistan, was carried out by a single attacker, a Pentagon investigation has found. At least 170 Afghans and 13 American troops were killed in the blast . The Pentagon report says it was caused by one...
As Kabul Fell, a Last-Minute
Scramble to Evacuate: Report
Feb 2, 2022 8:50 AM CST
As Kabul Fell, a Last-Minute Scramble to Evacuate: Report
Critics question whether better planning from the Biden administration could have saved lives
- The Biden administration was working out crucial details of the civilian evacuation from Kabul even as the Taliban descended on the Afghan city, according to a document obtained by Axios . The National Security Council's summary notes from the Aug. 14 meeting of the Deputies Small Group—chaired by Homeland...
Veteran Gets Unexpected Gift
From Long-Dead Friend
Jan 24, 2022 8:51 AM CST
Veteran Gets Unexpected Gift From Long-Dead Friend
Edmonton Oilers T-shirt belonged to his best friend and fellow medic, killed in Afghanistan in 2008
- A Canadian veteran whose best friend and fellow service member was killed 13 years ago serving in Afghanistan got a surprise Christmas gift this year that drew out a cascade of feelings: his pal's Edmonton Oilers hockey T-shirt. The CBC reports on the emotional story of the friendship between...
Since US Left
Oct 3, 2021 11:55 AM CDT
Kabul Has Deadliest Attack Since US Left
Mosque bombed during Taliban service, reportedly killing at least 5 civilians
- At least five civilians were killed in a bomb blast at the entrance to a Kabul mosque Sunday, a Taliban official said, describing the deadliest attack in the Afghan capital since US forces left at the end of August. There was no immediate claim of responsibility, but suspicion fell on...
Milley: 4 Administrations
Made Afghanistan Mistakes
Sep 29, 2021 7:15 PM CDT
Milley: 4 Administrations Made Afghanistan Mistakes
Effect was cumulative, general tells lawmakers
- It wasn't any one recent mistake that cost the US the war in Afghanistan, Gen. Mark Milley told lawmakers on Wednesday. "It wasn't lost in the last 20 days or even 20 months," the chairman of the Joint Chiefs said. "There's a cumulative effect...
Biden on Afghanistan Exit
Sep 28, 2021 5:30 PM CDT
Generals Contradict Biden on Afghanistan Exit
They say they wanted to keep force of 2.5K in the country to prevent collapse
- In an ABC interview last month, President Biden defended the chaotic US exit from Afghanistan, denying that advisers had wanted him to keep 2,500 troops in the country. He was contradicted by top military officials during a heated six-hour Senate Armed Services Committee hearing Tuesday, the Hill reports. Gen....
CIA Warned About Civilians
Seconds Before Drone Hit
Sep 18, 2021 4:15 PM CDT
CIA Warned About Civilians Seconds Before Drone Hit
Word came too late to stop the missile that killed 10 people
- A Hellfire missile was on its way to its target, a white Corolla in Kabul, when the CIA realized there were civilians in the area, maybe even children in the vehicle. The agency issued an urgent warning to the US military seconds before the missile struck, killing 10 civilians, seven...
Left No Good Options
Sep 13, 2021 5:04 PM CDT
Blinken: Trump Left No Good Options
'We inherited a deadline. We did not inherit a plan' for Afghanistan, he tells panel
- Repeatedly criticized by Republican lawmakers, Secretary of State Antony Blinken on Monday defending the US handling of the end of the war in Afghanistan. Blinken, in turn, put blame on former President Trump's administration, Politico reports. "We inherited a deadline," Blinken told the House Foreign Affairs Committee....
Evidence Raises Questions
About US Drone Strike
Sep 11, 2021 2:20 PM CDT
Evidence Raises Questions About US Drone Strike
Driver could have been putting canisters of water, not explosives, in his vehicle
- Video footage and interviews in Kabul have raised questions about the Pentagon's account of the final, fatal US drone attack of the Afghanistan war. The drone struck a vehicle in a residential neighborhood on Aug. 29 that the military said carried explosives and was "an imminent ISIS-K threat"...
Trump Is Calling Families
of Troops Killed in Kabul
Sep 9, 2021 11:25 AM CDT
Trump Is Calling Families of Troops Killed in Kabul
'He was awesome,' says father of one Marine
- Some of the families of the 13 American service members killed in a blast at Kabul's airport last month have refused to speak to President Biden—but they have welcomed calls from former President Trump. Trump has reached out to several families over the last week and some of...
US General: 'Good Probability'
of Afghan Civil War
Sep 6, 2021 8:45 AM CDT
US General: 'Good Probability' of Afghan Civil War
Chairman of joint chiefs of staff Milley says that could help terror groups rise
- When the Taliban took control of Afghanistan last month, they didn't take
of the country. One holdout region—the mountainous Panjshir Valley—continued to fight. On Monday, however, the Taliban finally claimed control of that province, too, reports the
. A Taliban spokesman said the region is...
Crews Describe 'Apocalyptic'
Scenes in Afghan Departure
Sep 2, 2021 4:18 AM CDT
Crews Describe 'Apocalyptic' Scenes in Afghan Departure
'It looked like one of those zombie movies where all the airplanes had been destroyed'
- It looked like a zombie apocalypse. For the US military pilots and aircrew about to make their final takeoffs out of Afghanistan, the sky was lit up with fireworks and sporadic gunfire and the airfield littered with battered shells of airplanes and destroyed equipment. Stray dogs raced around the tarmac....
Pope Inadvertently Uses
Putin's Words to Chide West
Sep 1, 2021 8:20 AM CDT
Pope Inadvertently Uses Putin's Words to Chide West
He was talking about Afghanistan
- Pope Francis has criticized the West's two-decade-long involvement in Afghanistan as an outsider's attempt to impose democracy—although he did it by citing Russia's Vladimir Putin while thinking he was quoting Germany's Angela Merkel. Asked during a radio interview aired Wednesday about the new political map...
Biden: 'I Was Not Going
to Extend a Forever Exit'
Aug 31, 2021 3:31 PM CDT
Biden: 'I Was Not Going to Extend a Forever Exit'
He calls airlift an 'extraordinary success'
- Addressing the nation, a defensive President Biden on Tuesday called the US military airlift to extract more than 120,000 Afghans, Americans, and other allies to end a 20-year war an "extraordinary success," though more than 100 Americans and thousands of Afghans looking to leave remain in the...
In the Afghan Aftermath,
a Big 'What If' Is Raised
Aug 31, 2021 11:55 AM CDT
In the Afghan Aftermath, a Big 'What If' Is Raised
Peggy Noonan calls failure to get bin Laden at Tora Bora a 'richly consequential screw-up'
- Among the post-mortems being written about the Afghanistan war is one from Peggy Noonan at the
Wall Street Journal
, who laments how the war could have ended successfully soon after it began. In December 2001, US and Afghan forces had Osama bin Laden pinned down in the mountainous Tora Bora...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
Strange Case of Mom Accused in Husband's Death Gets Stranger
On Tuesday, an 'Absolutely Unprecedented' Move by Biden
Gunmen Open Fire on Teens, Killing 3, Over Old Grievance
Family in 'Unbearable Pain' After Mother Found in Gator's Jaws
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.