Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Feb 12, 2022 12:30 PM CST
Afghans Protest Biden Order
Demonstrators oppose decision on frozen funds, demand compensation for war deaths
- Demonstrators in Afghanistan's capital Saturday condemned President Joe Biden’s order freeing up $3.5 billion in Afghan assets held in the US for families of America's 9/11 victims—saying the money belongs to Afghans. Protesters who gathered outside Kabul's grand Eid Gah mosque asked America for...
Pentagon Adjusts Account
of Kabul Airport Attack
Feb 4, 2022 5:20 PM CST
Pentagon Adjusts Account of Kabul Airport Attack
Investigation concludes that a single bomber was responsible
- The mass killing at the Kabul airport last August, as US forces were withdrawing from Afghanistan, was carried out by a single attacker, a Pentagon investigation has found. At least 170 Afghans and 13 American troops were killed in the blast . The Pentagon report says it was caused by one...
As Kabul Fell, a Last-Minute
Scramble to Evacuate: Report
Feb 2, 2022 8:50 AM CST
As Kabul Fell, a Last-Minute Scramble to Evacuate: Report
Critics question whether better planning from the Biden administration could have saved lives
- The Biden administration was working out crucial details of the civilian evacuation from Kabul even as the Taliban descended on the Afghan city, according to a document obtained by Axios . The National Security Council's summary notes from the Aug. 14 meeting of the Deputies Small Group—chaired by Homeland...
Veteran Gets Unexpected Gift
From Long-Dead Friend
Jan 24, 2022 8:51 AM CST
Veteran Gets Unexpected Gift From Long-Dead Friend
Edmonton Oilers T-shirt belonged to his best friend and fellow medic, killed in Afghanistan in 2008
- A Canadian veteran whose best friend and fellow service member was killed 13 years ago serving in Afghanistan got a surprise Christmas gift this year that drew out a cascade of feelings: his pal's Edmonton Oilers hockey T-shirt. The CBC reports on the emotional story of the friendship between...
Since US Left
Oct 3, 2021 11:55 AM CDT
Kabul Has Deadliest Attack Since US Left
Mosque bombed during Taliban service, reportedly killing at least 5 civilians
- At least five civilians were killed in a bomb blast at the entrance to a Kabul mosque Sunday, a Taliban official said, describing the deadliest attack in the Afghan capital since US forces left at the end of August. There was no immediate claim of responsibility, but suspicion fell on...
Milley: 4 Administrations
Made Afghanistan Mistakes
Sep 29, 2021 7:15 PM CDT
Milley: 4 Administrations Made Afghanistan Mistakes
Effect was cumulative, general tells lawmakers
- It wasn't any one recent mistake that cost the US the war in Afghanistan, Gen. Mark Milley told lawmakers on Wednesday. "It wasn't lost in the last 20 days or even 20 months," the chairman of the Joint Chiefs said. "There's a cumulative effect...
Biden on Afghanistan Exit
Sep 28, 2021 5:30 PM CDT
Generals Contradict Biden on Afghanistan Exit
They say they wanted to keep force of 2.5K in the country to prevent collapse
- In an ABC interview last month, President Biden defended the chaotic US exit from Afghanistan, denying that advisers had wanted him to keep 2,500 troops in the country. He was contradicted by top military officials during a heated six-hour Senate Armed Services Committee hearing Tuesday, the Hill reports. Gen....
CIA Warned About Civilians
Seconds Before Drone Hit
Sep 18, 2021 4:15 PM CDT
CIA Warned About Civilians Seconds Before Drone Hit
Word came too late to stop the missile that killed 10 people
- A Hellfire missile was on its way to its target, a white Corolla in Kabul, when the CIA realized there were civilians in the area, maybe even children in the vehicle. The agency issued an urgent warning to the US military seconds before the missile struck, killing 10 civilians, seven...
Left No Good Options
Sep 13, 2021 5:04 PM CDT
Blinken: Trump Left No Good Options
'We inherited a deadline. We did not inherit a plan' for Afghanistan, he tells panel
- Repeatedly criticized by Republican lawmakers, Secretary of State Antony Blinken on Monday defending the US handling of the end of the war in Afghanistan. Blinken, in turn, put blame on former President Trump's administration, Politico reports. "We inherited a deadline," Blinken told the House Foreign Affairs Committee....
Evidence Raises Questions
About US Drone Strike
Sep 11, 2021 2:20 PM CDT
Evidence Raises Questions About US Drone Strike
Driver could have been putting canisters of water, not explosives, in his vehicle
- Video footage and interviews in Kabul have raised questions about the Pentagon's account of the final, fatal US drone attack of the Afghanistan war. The drone struck a vehicle in a residential neighborhood on Aug. 29 that the military said carried explosives and was "an imminent ISIS-K threat"...
Trump Is Calling Families
of Troops Killed in Kabul
Sep 9, 2021 11:25 AM CDT
Trump Is Calling Families of Troops Killed in Kabul
'He was awesome,' says father of one Marine
- Some of the families of the 13 American service members killed in a blast at Kabul's airport last month have refused to speak to President Biden—but they have welcomed calls from former President Trump. Trump has reached out to several families over the last week and some of...
US General: 'Good Probability'
of Afghan Civil War
Sep 6, 2021 8:45 AM CDT
US General: 'Good Probability' of Afghan Civil War
Chairman of joint chiefs of staff Milley says that could help terror groups rise
- When the Taliban took control of Afghanistan last month, they didn't take
of the country. One holdout region—the mountainous Panjshir Valley—continued to fight. On Monday, however, the Taliban finally claimed control of that province, too, reports the
. A Taliban spokesman said the region is...
Crews Describe 'Apocalyptic'
Scenes in Afghan Departure
Sep 2, 2021 4:18 AM CDT
Crews Describe 'Apocalyptic' Scenes in Afghan Departure
'It looked like one of those zombie movies where all the airplanes had been destroyed'
- It looked like a zombie apocalypse. For the US military pilots and aircrew about to make their final takeoffs out of Afghanistan, the sky was lit up with fireworks and sporadic gunfire and the airfield littered with battered shells of airplanes and destroyed equipment. Stray dogs raced around the tarmac....
Pope Inadvertently Uses
Putin's Words to Chide West
Sep 1, 2021 8:20 AM CDT
Pope Inadvertently Uses Putin's Words to Chide West
He was talking about Afghanistan
- Pope Francis has criticized the West's two-decade-long involvement in Afghanistan as an outsider's attempt to impose democracy—although he did it by citing Russia's Vladimir Putin while thinking he was quoting Germany's Angela Merkel. Asked during a radio interview aired Wednesday about the new political map...
Biden: 'I Was Not Going
to Extend a Forever Exit'
Aug 31, 2021 3:31 PM CDT
Biden: 'I Was Not Going to Extend a Forever Exit'
He calls airlift an 'extraordinary success'
- Addressing the nation, a defensive President Biden on Tuesday called the US military airlift to extract more than 120,000 Afghans, Americans, and other allies to end a 20-year war an "extraordinary success," though more than 100 Americans and thousands of Afghans looking to leave remain in the...
In the Afghan Aftermath,
a Big 'What If' Is Raised
Aug 31, 2021 11:55 AM CDT
In the Afghan Aftermath, a Big 'What If' Is Raised
Peggy Noonan calls failure to get bin Laden at Tora Bora a 'richly consequential screw-up'
- Among the post-mortems being written about the Afghanistan war is one from Peggy Noonan at the
Wall Street Journal
, who laments how the war could have ended successfully soon after it began. In December 2001, US and Afghan forces had Osama bin Laden pinned down in the mountainous Tora Bora...
Departure of Last US Planes
Ends 20-Year War
Aug 30, 2021 4:00 PM CDT
Departure of Last US Planes Ends 20-Year War
Pentagon, Taliban say last planes left just before midnight Kabul time
- Taliban guards at Kabul's airport and officials at the Pentagon have confirmed that the last US planes have flown out. Celebratory gunfire erupted across the Afghan capital marking the symbolic end of 20 years of war, with the Taliban back in power, the AP reports. In Washington, the US...
98 Countries Reach
Deal With Taliban
Aug 30, 2021 12:40 PM CDT
98 Countries Reach Deal With Taliban
Agreement will allow at-risk Afghans to leave country after deadline, joint statement says
- The US and 97 other countries, from Albania to Zambia, have announced a deal with the Taliban that will allow people, including their citizens and at-risk Afghans, to depart Afghanistan after the American military withdraws. "We will continue issuing travel documentation to designated Afghans, and we have the clear...
US Gave Taliban Names
of People to Evacuate
Aug 27, 2021 6:13 AM CDT
US Gave Taliban Names of People to Evacuate
Flights from Kabul airport resume as death toll from Thursday attacks rises
- Heavily armed Taliban fighters were on patrol outside Kabul's airport Friday as evacuation flights resumed a day after Thursday's horrific scenes. The death toll from Thursday's twin suicide bombings has now risen to more than 100, including 13 US troops, the AP reports. Officials say at least...
Biden Tells Attackers:
'We Will Hunt You Down'
Aug 26, 2021 5:50 PM CDT
Biden Tells Attackers: 'We Will Hunt You Down'
President suggests he might send more troops to Afghanistan
- In addressing the nation on Thursday, President Biden expressed his resolve to not let the airport attack in Afghanistan stop evacuations even as US troops track down and punish the forces responsible. "To those who carried out this attack, as well as anyone who wishes America harm, know this:...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Trump Says McConnell Has 'Death Wish,' Insults His Wife
One Take on Tagovailoa's Hit: 'How Are We So Stupid in 2022'
Ruling on Naomi Judd Death Probe Sees a 180
Democrat Wants New Leaders After Stock Ban Stalls
Father Attacks Meta After Girl's Death
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.