Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
in This Rather Grim Career
Sep 13, 2022 7:21 AM CDT
Interest 'Flourishing' in This Rather Grim Career
Amid an industry worker shortage, mortuary science programs are seeing big enrollment jump
- Mortuary schools are still doing the hard sell on their websites to get potential funeral home workers to enroll. Turns out, though, that may not be necessary at the moment. Although there's a worker shortage in the industry, interest in funeral services is "flourishing," reports CNN Business...
Family: Body at
Face 'Looked Like
It Was Caved In'
Aug 10, 2022 12:29 PM CDT
Family: Body at Wake Reeked, Face 'Looked Like It Was Caved In'
They've filed suit against Brooklyn funeral home over condition of a 37-year-old woman's remains
- What was supposed to be a dignified memorial service for Regina Christophe now has her family suing a New York City funeral home. The 37-year-old died in her sleep on June 24, and her family soon after retained McManus Funeral Home in Brooklyn to prepare her body for the service...
Funeral Director Takes Plea
in 'Body Part Scheme'
Jul 6, 2022 12:58 PM CDT
Funeral Director Takes Plea in 'Body Part Scheme'
Megan Hess faces up to 20 years after pleading guilty to mail fraud
- For one funeral home operator in Colorado, it wasn’t enough to charge bereaved families for cremation and burial services. Megan Hess allegedly struck on what authorities call an "illegal body part scheme" to pad her income. According to the
New York Times,
Hess, 45, has pleaded guilty in...
Cops Find 'Very
at Funeral Home
Jul 4, 2022 12:04 PM CDT
Cops Find 'Very Unpleasant Scene' at Funeral Home
Some of the 31 bodies inside were in an advanced state of decomposition
- Police in Jeffersonville, Indiana say officers knew something was badly wrong as soon as they arrived at Lankford Funeral Home, where there had been reports of a bad odor. Police say 31 bodies, some of them in an advanced state of decomposition, were found at the business Friday night. "...
They Found a
in Mom's Clothes
Sep 24, 2021 10:29 AM CDT
At Viewing, They Found a Stranger's Body in Mom's Clothes
'We just couldn't understand how this could happen'
- Two daughters of a North Carolina woman who died last month say they walked up to her casket and found another woman's body dressed in their mother's clothes. While such mix-ups happen surprisingly often, per
, Jennifer Taylor and Jennetta Archer say the Sept. 7 viewing at Hunter'...
Body on Gurney Rolls Out
of Stolen Mortuary Van
Aug 27, 2021 3:54 AM CDT
Body on Gurney Rolls Out of Stolen Mortuary Van
Suspect Kijon Griffin escaped police but turned himself in 2 days later
- "It's ridiculous that the dead can't even rest," says mortuary owner Stan Henderson. Police say a suspect in several felonies who was fleeing officers stole a mortuary van with a body inside from the parking lot of Henderson's Conyers, Georgia, business Tuesday afternoon, Fox 5...
Widow Sues Funeral Home
Over Husband's Other Widow
in case you missed it
Aug 21, 2021 1:45 PM CDT
Widow Sues Funeral Home Over Husband's Other Widow
It's all explained in a strange federal lawsuit against a Baltimore funeral home
report on a strange federal lawsuit begins with a doozy of a first sentence: "Demetra Street didn't know, as she sang at her husband Ivan's Baltimore funeral service in late January, that apparently he already had been buried days earlier and miles away,"...
'Horror on Top of Heartbreak'
After Funeral Vehicle Stolen
Feb 12, 2021 10:09 AM CST
'Horror on Top of Heartbreak' After Funeral Vehicle Stolen
Woman's body was inside van taken from St. Louis convenience store
- In this week's "you had one job" post, a Missouri funeral home driver may be in a bit of trouble after an incident in St. Louis. Per KSDK , which deems the case "horror on top of heartbreak," local police are on the hunt for a white...
Woman Found Alive
at Funeral Home
Dies 8 Weeks Later
Oct 20, 2020 2:29 PM CDT
Woman Found Alive at Funeral Home Dies 8 Weeks Later
She had been hospitalized since tragic mistake
- A 20-year-old Michigan woman found alive in a funeral home in August after being wrongly declared dead is now genuinely dead—and her relatives blame the earlier mistake for her demise. Family attorney Geoffrey Fieger said Southfield resident Timesha Beauchamp "was allowed to die peacefully" Sunday at the Children'...
Funeral Homes Want to Give
Older Americans a Ride
Oct 20, 2020 1:49 PM CDT
Funeral Homes Want to Give Older Americans a Ride
They plan to drive up to 300K people to the polls on Election Day
- Some old voters could ride in style to the polls on Election Day, thanks to an offer from ... funeral homes. The National Funeral Directors & Morticians Association expects to offer free rides to up to 300,000 people nationwide on Nov. 3, including in Baltimore, Miami, Detroit, Los Angeles, and...
Car Pulls Up to 100
Mourners, Opens Fire
Sep 30, 2020 7:30 PM CDT
Car Pulls Up to 100 Mourners, Opens Fire
Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett condemns shooting that leaves 7 injured
- Seven people were shot and wounded Wednesday in an apparent drive-by shooting outside a Milwaukee funeral home, the city's mayor said. Mayor Tom Barrett said all seven people were hit when a person driving past the funeral home opened fire. Acting Police Chief Michael Brunson said all of the...
Bizarre Mistake: Woman
at Funeral Home Still Alive
Aug 24, 2020 11:25 AM CDT
Bizarre Mistake: Woman at Funeral Home Still Alive
Young woman was declared dead in Detroit, but she proved them wrong
- Authorities in Detroit are investigating a bizarre and scary mistake: A young woman was declared dead before employees at a funeral home realized she was still alive, reports WDIV . This began unfolding about 7:30am Sunday when the Southfield Fire Department responded to a call about an unresponsive female. (She...
Overwhelmed Funeral Home
Put Bodies on Ice in Trucks
Apr 30, 2020 12:16 AM CDT
Overwhelmed Funeral Home Put Bodies on Ice in Trucks
Passerby alerts police to the situation in Brooklyn
- Police were called to a Brooklyn neighborhood Wednesday after a funeral home overwhelmed by the coronavirus resorted to storing dozens of bodies on ice in rented trucks, and a passerby complained about the smell, officials said. Investigators who responded to a 911 call found that the home had rented four...
A Virus First:
The Dead Are
Apr 14, 2020 8:07 AM CDT
A Virus First: The Dead Are Still Contagious
Scientists in Thailand say coronavirus appears to have spread to medical examiner from a corpse
- Out of Thailand, a coronavirus first: a case in which the virus appears to have spread from a corpse to a medical examiner. "According to our best knowledge, this is the first report on COVID-19 infection and death among medical personnel in a Forensic Medicine unit," researchers write...
to Nearly 100
Aug 30, 2019 4:35 PM CDT
Funeral Home to Nearly 100 Families: Uh, Hello?
Hamilton's Funeral Home in Des Moines is trying to unload people's ashes
- An Iowa funeral home is calling on families to pick up the unclaimed cremated remains of nearly 100 people that it has been keeping in a locked closet for years, some since the mid-1990s, the AP reports. Lanae Strovers, of Hamilton's Funeral Home in Des Moines, told TV station...
They Said He
The Funeral Home
Jul 25, 2019 8:41 AM CDT
They Said He Died Naturally. The Funeral Home Said Otherwise
Georgia man was actually stabbed to death
- "It was too much blood." That was the initial assessment of Michelle Smalls, the sister of Ray Neal, a 61-year-old Georgia man found dead over the weekend. A Gwinnett County medical examiner's investigator determined he died of natural causes. But it turns out the suspicions of Smalls...
Yet Another Grim Discovery
in 3rd Michigan Funeral Home
Oct 23, 2018 12:52 PM CDT
Yet Another Grim Discovery in 3rd Michigan Funeral Home
Remains of 2 fetuses found in Owosso
- Decades-old fetal remains have been found at another Michigan funeral home—the third such grim discovery in the state in less than two weeks. An asbestos-removal crew on Monday discovered the remains of two fetuses at the former Mowen Funeral Home in Owosso, about 90 miles northwest of Detroit, reports...
Another 'Heinous' Discovery
in a Detroit Funeral Home
Oct 20, 2018 4:30 PM CDT
Another 'Heinous' Discovery in a Detroit Funeral Home
Cops found 63 fetuses stashed away
- Police removed the remains of 63 fetuses from a Detroit funeral home and regulators shuttered the business amid a widening investigation of alleged improprieties at local funeral homes. Detroit police Chief James Craig said officers found 36 fetuses in boxes and 27 others in freezers during Friday's raid at...
Officials Make 'Horrific'
Find at Funeral Home
Oct 14, 2018 11:15 AM CDT
Officials Make 'Horrific' Find at Funeral Home
Cantrell Funeral Home had already been shut down
- Prepare yourself: Eleven dead infants have been found stored away in the ceiling of a shuttered Detroit funeral home, ABC News reports. Following an anonymous letter, officials discovered the remains Friday at Cantrell Funeral Home, which had already been closed for earlier violations. The remains were stored in a cardboard...
The Funeral Home Closed in
April. A Letter Led to a Search
Oct 13, 2018 7:19 AM CDT
The Funeral Home Closed in April. A Letter Led to a Search
The decomposed remains of 11 infants were found hidden there
- Authorities say the bodies of 11 babies have been found in a funeral home that was closed six months ago. Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs spokesman Jason Moon says inspectors found the bodies Friday at the Cantrell Funeral Home on Detroit's east side. The
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cancer That Kirstie Alley Battled Is Specified
Family of Woman Beheaded by Utah Park Gate Wants $140M
Trump Organization Found Guilty of Tax Fraud
Trump Hid a Big Loan While President: Forbes
Here's How Things Look Ahead of Georgia's Runoff
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.