Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Bad News for Menendez: Cory Booker Says He Must Go
Stories 1 - 20 |
Heavy Security Wasn't Enough
to Keep One Whole Foods Open
Apr 12, 2023 11:27 AM CDT
Heavy Security Wasn't Enough to Keep One Whole Foods Open
A 'flagship store' in San Francisco has been battling theft and disturbances
- A massive Whole Foods "flagship store" that opened in March 2022 in San Francisco has temporarily shut down, with the grocer saying the move was necessary to "ensure the safety" of its workers. Whole Foods did not elaborate on the closure of the 65,000-square-foot store, but SFGate...
Maine Objects to Decision
by Whole Foods on Lobster
Nov 27, 2022 12:00 PM CST
Maine Objects to Decision by Whole Foods on Lobster
Fishing equipment can endanger whales
- Environmental groups are again at odds with politicians and fishermen in New England in the wake of a decision by high-end retail giant Whole Foods to stop selling Maine lobster. Whole Foods recently said that it will stop selling lobster from the Gulf of Maine at hundreds of its stores...
Amazon Adds a $9.95 Fee, So
Walmart Gives Members $9.95
in case you missed it
Oct 31, 2021 6:00 PM CDT
Amazon Adds a $9.95 Fee, So Walmart Gives Members $9.95
Whole Foods deliveries will now cost Prime subscribers $9.95
- Amazon Prime members used to be able to get Whole Foods orders delivered for free. Not anymore: Amazon this week started charging $9.95 for delivery, though Prime members still get discounts at the grocery store as well as free pickup for orders over $35. In response to the new...
Comes to Whole Foods
Apr 22, 2021 5:35 PM CDT
Palm Scanning Comes to Whole Foods
Amazon testing new method of payment
- If a new test by Amazon works, shoppers at Whole Foods will soon be paying with a scan of their palm instead of with credit card or cash. The company is testing its Amazon One palm scanner at a Whole Foods store in Seattle and plans to expand the test...
Workers at Amazon,
Other Firms Plan
Apr 30, 2020 3:23 AM CDT
Workers at Amazon, Other Firms Plan 'General Strike'
They say they're going to walk off the job Friday
- Workers who say major companies like Amazon aren't doing enough to protect them during the pandemic are planning a strike Friday—and they would like shoppers to show their support by staying away. Organizers say a walkout planned for May 1, International Workers' Day, will also involve workers from...
Amazon Pushes Pause
on New Online
Apr 13, 2020 2:51 PM CDT
Amazon Pushes Pause on New Online Grocery Customers
They will be placed on a waiting list for 'invitations,' company says
- People who want to start using Amazon's grocery delivery services are going to have to wait, the company says. In a blog post Sunday, the company cited "unprecedented demand" and said new Amazon Fresh and Whole Foods delivery customers would have to "wait for an invitation to...
Now Walking Out:
Grocery, Delivery Workers
Mar 31, 2020 6:50 AM CDT
Now Walking Out: Grocery, Delivery Workers
Workers at Instacart, Amazon, Whole Foods want hazard pay, protective gear, sick time
- Grocery and delivery workers are doing some of the most potentially dangerous jobs in America during the coronavirus outbreak and they are demanding better pay and protection. Amazon workers at a New York City warehouse walked off the job Monday and Instacart workers held strikes nationwide, reports the
First-of-Its-Kind Amazon Store
Is Missing One Key Thing
Feb 25, 2020 9:09 AM CST
First-of-Its-Kind Amazon Store Is Missing One Key Thing
You won't find cashiers at the Amazon Go Grocery store opening in Seattle
- Tuesday's likely to be a big day in Seattle's Capitol Hill district, where Reuters reports that the first Amazon Go Grocery store is opening, with just one thing missing: cashiers. Customers simply walk into the 10,400-square-foot site—smaller than the 40,000 square feet or so found...
Nearly 2K Whole Foods
Workers May Lose Benefits
Sep 13, 2019 4:31 PM CDT
Nearly 2K Whole Foods Workers May Lose Benefits
Employees will have to work 30 hours for health care coverage
- Whole Foods, the grocery chain owned by Amazon, is cutting health care benefits for its part-time workers, a move that could leave about 1,900 of its employees without medical coverage. Starting next year, Whole Foods employees have to work at least 30 hours a week to qualify for its...
Officers Pay for Food Instead
of Making a Shoplifting Arrest
Jul 5, 2019 4:38 PM CDT
Officers Pay for Food Instead of Making a Shoplifting Arrest
Woman breaks down in tears at the gesture
- Confronting a shoplifting suspect at a Whole Foods in Manhattan, three New York police officers assessed the situation. Security officers had detained the woman and pointed out groceries in her shopping bag that they said she hadn't paid for. After conferring among themselves, the officers made their call: They...
Amazon Is Making Big
Changes at Whole Foods
Apr 2, 2019 5:10 AM CDT
Amazon Is Making Big Changes at Whole Foods
New round of price cuts takes effect Wednesday
- Whole Foods is taking steps to change its "Whole Paycheck" image with another round of price cuts. According to documents seen by the
Wall Street Journal
, the Amazon-owned grocery chain is planning to cut prices on more than 500 items, mainly produce and meat, as of Wednesday. Sources tell...
Hero You Didn't
Aug 11, 2018 7:00 AM CDT
The Supermarket Hero You Didn't Know About: Ludacris
Apparently, the rapper has been going around the country for years paying for people's groceries
- In what
dubs the ultimate case of "Southern hospitality," a big name has been picking up folks' grocery tabs on the sly—at least until now. In a now-viral July 30 Facebook post , a woman named Therra detailed how she'd been down on her luck and...
New Prime Benefit: Extra
Discounts at Whole Foods
May 16, 2018 11:10 AM CDT
New Prime Benefit: Extra Discounts at Whole Foods
Amazon benefit will be rolling out to stores in the US this summer
- It's Prime time at Whole Foods: Amazon is rolling out discounts for Prime members at the organic grocer. The benefits start Wednesday at stores in Florida and will expand nationwide this summer, the AP reports. Prime members will get an additional 10% off sale items and exclusive deals on...
Amazon Just Shared
a Secret Number
Apr 19, 2018 2:55 AM CDT
Amazon Just Shared a Secret Number
Jeff Bezos reveals number of Prime subscribers
- After years of speculation, Jeff Bezos finally disclosed the number of Amazon Prime subscribers Wednesday, and it was a big, round one: The CEO said in a letter to shareholders that the service now has at least 100 million subscribers, CNBC reports. He said the company shipped more than 5...
Amazon Has New Perk
for Rewards Cardholders
Feb 20, 2018 11:30 AM CST
Amazon Has New Perk for Rewards Cardholders
They'll get 5% back at Whole Foods
- Not that Amazon would tell you where to shop for groceries , but if you find yourself in the checkout line at its newly acquired Whole Foods, it might have a suggestion for how to pay. The retail behemoth is now offering 5% cash back to Prime members who use their...
Amazon Going for
Grocery Rivals' Jugulars
Feb 8, 2018 9:32 AM CST
Amazon Going for Grocery Rivals' Jugulars
It now offers 2-hour grocery delivery in 4 markets
- If traditional grocers aren't intimidated by Amazon's no-checkout grocery store , they might be by the company's latest venture in the world of food. Amazon Prime subscribers in Dallas, Cincinnati, Virginia Beach, and Austin, Texas, can now buy Whole Foods groceries online and have them delivered in two...
Whole Foods' New System
Is Leaving Workers in Tears
Feb 4, 2018 1:33 AM CST
Whole Foods' New System Is Leaving Workers in Tears
The scorecards seem to be the biggest pain point of OTS, per Business Insider
- It's not a TPS report , but it may be just as stress-inducing. Business Insider reports that things aren't exactly hunky-dory at Whole Foods in the wake of Amazon's acquisition of it, and the 27 current and newly former employees it spoke with say the OTS system is...
Blue Apron Is Laying Off
Hundreds of Workers
Oct 19, 2017 12:33 AM CDT
Blue Apron Is Laying Off Hundreds of Workers
Move follows rough few months for meal-kit company
- Crushed by Amazon? Blue Apron is cutting about 320 jobs, less than four months after the meal-kit seller became a public company. New York-based Blue Apron, which had nearly 5,400 employees in June, says the layoffs represent about 6% of its workforce. The company says the cuts were...
Now Whole Foods Is Warning
of Credit Card Breach
Sep 29, 2017 6:47 PM CDT
Now Whole Foods Is Warning of Credit Card Breach
It's unclear how many locations or customers were affected
- Some Whole Foods customers may have had their credit card information stolen after the company stated Thursday it had been tipped about "unauthorized access of payment card information," Consumerist reports. The data breach would only affect cards used at the taprooms and full-service restaurants at some Whole Foods...
French Have Field Day With
Whole Foods Cheese Map
Sep 8, 2017 7:40 AM CDT
French Have Field Day With Whole Foods Cheese Map
The inaccuracies are inspiring widespread sass
- In cheese-loving France, there's plenty of regional pride for which places first made, or exclusively produce, each fromage. So when Whole Foods displayed a French cheese map with glaring inaccuracies, an online melee ensued, reports Eater . It all started when French expat Mikaël, who lives in DC, on...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
Family in 'Unbearable Pain' After Mother Found in Gator's Jaws
Russell Brand's Troubles Get Worse
On Tuesday, an 'Absolutely Unprecedented' Move by Biden
Strange Case of Mom Accused in Husband's Death Gets Stranger
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.