Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
to China on
Jul 15, 2023 3:25 PM CDT
Pope Yields to China on New Bishop
Government filled Shanghai post months ago, despite agreement with Vatican
- Pope Francis has given in to China's unilateral appointment of a new bishop in Shanghai, formally recognizing the government's installation of Bishop Shen Bin three months after the fact. The Vatican said Saturday that Francis had appointed Shen as bishop of Shanghai, transferring him from Haimen. The announcement...
Vatican: Let's Look at New
Leads Over Missing Teen
Jun 23, 2023 7:53 AM CDT
Vatican: Let's Look at New Leads Over Missing Teen
40 years after 15-year-old Emanuela Orlandi vanished, new hope for solving her cold case
- Exactly 40 years after the teenage daughter of a Vatican employee disappeared, the Vatican said Thursday that new leads "worthy of further investigation" had surfaced hopes of finally getting to the bottom of one of the Holy See's enduring mysteries. Emanuela Orlandi vanished June 22, 1983, after leaving...
Jun 7, 2023 5:25 PM CDT
Pope Francis' Surgery Was Successful
Surgeon says Francis cracked joke afterward
- Pope Francis underwent successful surgery Wednesday to remove intestinal scar tissue and repair a hernia in his abdominal wall. The Vatican said there were no complications during the three-hour surgery, which required the 86-year-old to be under general anesthesia, the AP reports. The pontiff is expected to remain at Rome’...
Car Rushes Vatican Gate,
Is Fired On by Armed Guards
May 19, 2023 1:28 AM CDT
Car Rushes Vatican Gate, Is Fired On by Armed Guards
Driver was apprehended quickly after Thursday night incident
- A car driven by someone with apparent psychiatric problems rushed through a Vatican gate Thursday evening and sped past Swiss Guards into a palace courtyard before the driver was apprehended by police, the Holy See said. Vatican gendarmes fired a shot at the speeding car’s front tires after it...
Struck by Lightning,
Ancient Hercules Is Reborn
May 15, 2023 10:55 AM CDT
Struck by Lightning, Ancient Hercules Is Reborn
Vatican experts are restoring this statue to its former glory
- Scaffolding in a niche of the Vatican Museums' Round Hall conceals from view the work of restorers who are removing centuries of grime from the largest known bronze statue of the ancient world: the gilded Hercules Mastai Righetti. For more than 150 years, the 13-foot-tall figure of the half-human Roman...
May 14, 2023 9:40 AM CDT
Connecticut Priest Happy About 'Very Cool Miracle'
Church asks Vatican to weigh in on whether one took place during communion
- A Catholic church is Connecticut is wondering whether it might have a miracle on its hands. In fact, St. Thomas Catholic Church in Thomaston has rounded up the evidence and asked the Vatican to formally weigh in, reports the
. The particulars are pretty straight-forward: In March, a lay...
Pope Endorses Returning
Artifacts Held by Vatican
Apr 30, 2023 4:50 PM CDT
Pope Endorses Returning Artifacts Held by Vatican
'If you steal something you have to give it back,' Francis says
- Pope Francis said Sunday that talks were underway to return artifacts in the Vatican Museum that were acquired from Indigenous peoples in Canada and voiced a willingness to return other colonial-era objects in the Vatican's collection on a case-by-case basis. "The Seventh Commandment comes to mind: If you...
'We Still Call Him Giorgio'
Mar 13, 2023 11:34 AM CDT
'We Still Call Him Giorgio'
Pope Francis quietly celebrates a 10-year milestone
- It's been 10 years since a guy named Jorge Bergoglio became the leader of 1.3 billion Catholics, with the white smoke emerging from the Sistine Chapel to signal that a new pope—the first from Latin America—had been selected. The then-76-year-old Pope Francis was seen as an...
Vatican Giving Up
Parthenon Pieces It
Has Held for Centuries
Mar 8, 2023 11:04 AM CST
Vatican Giving Up Parthenon Pieces It Has Held for Centuries
The move ratchets up pressure on the British Museum to do the same
- The Vatican and Greece finalized a deal Tuesday for the return of three sculpture fragments from the Parthenon that have been in the collection of the Vatican Museums for two centuries, the latest case of a Western museum bowing to demands for restitution. The Vatican has termed the return an...
Vatican to Take Another Look
at Case of Emanuela Orlandi
Jan 10, 2023 1:46 PM CST
Vatican to Take Another Look at Case of Emanuela Orlandi
The 15-year-old daughter of Vatican employee vanished in 1983
- The Vatican said Monday it has reopened the investigation into the 1983 disappearance of the 15-year-old daughter of a Vatican employee, months after a new Netflix documentary purported to shed new light on the case and weeks after her family asked the Italian Parliament to take up the cause . Vatican...
For the First Time
Pope Presides Over
Jan 5, 2023 5:53 AM CST
For the First Time in Centuries, Pope Presides Over Pope's Funeral
50K attended service for Benedict XVI
- With bells tolling, tens of thousands of faithful, political leaders, and the pope himself mourned Benedict XVI, the German theologian who made history by resigning the papacy, at a rare requiem Mass Thursday for a dead pontiff presided over by a living one. The crowd applauded as pallbearers carried Benedict'...
Crowds Descend on Vatican to
Pay Final Respects to Benedict
Jan 2, 2023 8:07 AM CST
Crowds Descend on Vatican to Pay Final Respects to Benedict
Body of late pope emeritus to lie in state through Wednesday; funeral is on Thursday
- Thousands are converging upon the Vatican to say their final goodbyes to Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI, who died Saturday at the age of 95. Monday is the first day in which the faithful can visit St. Peter's Basilica to view Benedict lying in state, where he'll be for...
Benedict Did the Most to Battle
Clergy Abuse but Was Criticized
Jan 1, 2023 12:55 PM CST
Benedict Did the Most to Battle Clergy Abuse but Was Criticized
As cardinal and pope, he pursued accountability while taking no responsibility himself
- Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI is rightly credited with having been one of the 20th century's most prolific Catholic theologians, a teacher-pope who preached the faith through books, sermons, and speeches. But he rarely received credit for another important aspect of his legacy: having done more than anyone before him...
Benedict's Worsening Health
Spurs Questions of What's Next
Dec 28, 2022 9:40 AM CST
Benedict's Worsening Health Spurs Questions of What's Next
Vatican hasn't published rituals, procedures to follow when a pope emeritus dies
- The Vatican has detailed rituals and procedures to follow when a pope dies, but it hasn't published such rules for a pope emeritus. As a result, official word Wednesday that the health of Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI had worsened prompted questions about what happens if and when he dies....
Some Lawmakers Want Inquest
Into Missing 'Vatican Girl'
Dec 21, 2022 9:25 AM CST
Some Lawmakers Want Inquest Into Missing 'Vatican Girl'
Emanuela Orlandi vanished in 1983
- Opposition lawmakers in Italy are seeking a parliamentary commission of inquiry into three cold cases that have consumed the Italian public's imagination for decades, including the 1983 disappearance of a 15-year-old that was highlighted in the Netflix documentary
. The aim of the inquest, said Sen. Carlo Calenda,...
Dec 18, 2022 10:15 AM CST
Vatican Defrocks American Priest
Frank Pavone once placed an aborted fetus on the altar
- The Vatican has defrocked an anti-abortion US priest, Frank Pavone, for what it said were “blasphemous communications on social media” as well as “persistent disobedience” of his bishop, per the AP . A letter to US bishops from the Vatican ambassador to the US said that the decision against...
Dec 14, 2022 7:35 AM CST
Vatican Cardinal Files Defamation Suit Against Accuser
Marc Ouellet says in countersuit that woman's sex assault claims 'tarnished' his global reputation
- A Vatican cardinal sued a Canadian woman for defamation in a Canadian court on Tuesday after she accused him of sexual assault while he was archbishop of Quebec. Cardinal Marc Ouellet, head of the Vatican's bishops office, is seeking $74,000 in compensatory damages for "injury to his...
Secret Recording of
Pope Is Played in Court
Nov 26, 2022 5:50 AM CST
Secret Recording of Pope Is Played in Court
It concerned the Holy See's payments to free nun held hostage by al-Qaeda-linked militants
- The Vatican tribunal weighing a financial fraud case heard from an unusual witness Thursday, when a secret recording of Pope Francis was played to the court about the Holy See’s payments to free a nun held hostage by al-Qaeda-linked militants. The broadcast of the pope’s own voice in...
Angry He Couldn't Meet Pope,
US Tourist Smashes Ancient
Oct 6, 2022 3:00 AM CDT
Angry He Couldn't Meet Pope, US Tourist Smashes Ancient Statues
They're being assessed, repaired after Vatican incident
- An American tourist angry he couldn't meet the pope smashed two statues at the Vatican Wednesday, authorities say. The man was at the Museo Chiaramonti, one of the Vatican Museums, when he demanded an audience with the pope and his request was declined, CNN reports, citing local media. He...
Collection Is a
Jul 23, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
Vatican Museums' Lesser Known Collection Is a Contested One
Indigenous groups want back the artifacts and art 'gifted' for 1925 exhibition
- The Vatican Museums are home to some of the most magnificent artworks in the world, from Michelangelo’s Sistine Chapel to ancient Egyptian antiquities and a pavilion full of papal chariots. But one of the museum’s least-visited collections is becoming its most contested before Pope Francis' trip to Canada,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
16-Year-Old Arrested After Felling of Iconic Tree
Winners, Losers From the GOP Debate
Florida Man Bitten 41 Times by Rabid Otter
Arrest Made in Murder of Young Baltimore Tech CEO
Trump's Comment Sparks Steps by Milley
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.