Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read recent news stories and current events about Rome, Italy on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
Only One US City
Makes Top 10
Dec 17, 2022 9:30 AM CST
Only One US City Makes Top 10 Travel Destinations
New York squeaks in at No. 10 on Euromonitor International's list; Paris comes in at No. 1
- Recovery from the pandemic for the travel industry is a work in progress, but inbound arrivals around the world increased by more than 80% this year in terms of numbers of trips, CNN notes. That means people are breaking out their passports again, and some cities are drawing travelers in...
3 Women at
Rome Coffee Shop
Dec 12, 2022 1:19 AM CST
Gunman Kills 3 Women at Rome Coffee Shop
Including a friend of the country's prime minister
- Three women, including a friend of Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni, were killed and four other people injured at a Rome coffee shop Sunday. The women were attending a meeting of the residents' association for their apartment block in the cafe at the time, the
reports, and a witness...
Angry He Couldn't Meet Pope,
US Tourist Smashes Ancient
Oct 6, 2022 3:00 AM CDT
Angry He Couldn't Meet Pope, US Tourist Smashes Ancient Statues
They're being assessed, repaired after Vatican incident
- An American tourist angry he couldn't meet the pope smashed two statues at the Vatican Wednesday, authorities say. The man was at the Museo Chiaramonti, one of the Vatican Museums, when he demanded an audience with the pope and his request was declined, CNN reports, citing local media. He...
US Tourist Caught Eating
on Fountain Steps Is Fined
Sep 6, 2022 3:43 PM CDT
US Tourist Caught Eating on Fountain Steps Is Fined
He was found with beer, ice cream at 1am in Rome
- An American tourist was slapped with a $450 fine after police caught him sitting on the steps of a fountain early Saturday drinking a beer and eating an ice cream. The man had fallen afoul of one of the "urban decorum" rules the Italian capital introduced in 2017, the...
After Tunnel Collapses,
Alleged Thieves Call Cops
Aug 12, 2022 11:31 AM CDT
After Tunnel Collapses, Alleged Thieves Call Cops
Firefighters worked for 8 hours to free a man, later arrested, from tunnel below Rome
- A man rescued from a tunnel 20 feet beneath the streets of Rome may have suffered the consequences of his own attempted bank robbery. One of three alleged gang members who escaped the tunnel when it collapsed below the surface of a road near the Vatican on Thursday called for...
US Tourists Damage
Jun 13, 2022 1:54 PM CDT
'Completely Drunk' US Tourists Damage Rome Landmark
Woman was seen shoving electric scooter down Spanish Steps
- This has been a rough year for Rome's iconic Spanish Steps. Authorities say two American tourists caused $27,000 in damage by pushing and dragging electric scooters down them, Business Insider reports. The pair, a 29-year-old man and a 28-year-old woman, were seen on the marble steps in the...
Driver Took Rented Maserati
Down Spanish Steps: Police
May 13, 2022 4:35 PM CDT
Driver Took Rented Maserati Down Spanish Steps: Police
Saudi national faces charge over damage to Rome landmark
- A Saudi national has been charged after police said he drove his rental car down Rome's Spanish Steps, causing damage to the city landmark. Police said the 37-year-old man, whom they did not identify, took a Maserati down the steps this week; surveillance video shows the driver stopping after...
Wild Boars Are Holding
Rome Residents 'Hostage'
May 4, 2022 2:54 PM CDT
Wild Boars Are Holding Rome Residents 'Hostage'
Some neighborhoods have introduced curfews
- Rome is being overrun not by Visigoths, but by wild boar. The animals have been considered a nuisance in the Italian capital for years, but unpleasant encounters between boar and Romans appear to be on the rise, the
reports. After a spate of attacks, including one in which a...
You Can Now Get Paid
to Get Married in Italy
Mar 1, 2022 1:57 PM CST
You Can Now Get Paid to Get Married in Italy
New initiative will refund couples $2,250 for Lazio-based wedding services in 2022
- The coronavirus pandemic has put a real damper on the wedding and tourism industries. But Italy is fighting back with a new $11 million initiative that aims to boost both industries while possibly funding your wedding. Any couple—Italian or foreign—who opt to marry or begin a civil union...
on Doomed PM's
for Big Bucks
Jan 28, 2022 2:47 PM CST
Terrorists' Note on Doomed PM's Kidnapping Sells for Big Bucks
1978 letter from Italy's Red Brigades blew past auction estimate, goes for $29K
- A 1978 note announcing the abduction of a former Italian prime minister by the group that would later kill him has sold for 15 times the estimate at a controversial auction in Rome. The two-sided letter from communist guerrilla group Red Brigades, written on the group's letterhead, was the...
Texas-Born Princess Tries,
Fails to Sell an Opulent Villa
Jan 19, 2022 3:09 PM CST
Texas-Born Princess Tries, Fails to Sell an Opulent Villa
There were no takers for Villa Aurora at $400M
- Texas-born Princess Rita Boncompagni Ludovisi is having a hard time unloading a 16th-century Italian villa loaded with countless priceless pieces of art and appraised at $533 million—despite a price tag far lower. A court-ordered auction of the "Villa Aurora" estate in Rome failed to draw any bids on...
US Tourists Pick Wrong Place
to Have 5:30am Beer in Rome
Nov 17, 2021 12:30 PM CST
US Tourists Pick Wrong Place to Have 5:30am Beer in Rome
The Colosseum is neither a bar, nor open at that hour
- Two American tourists, chatting over a beer in Rome. Unremarkable. That it happened at 5:30am is a little odder. That they allegedly broke into the Colosseum and threw one back there is downright strange—and, as you might imagine, illegal. The
reports the 24- and 25-year-old men were...
of Deal to Macron
Oct 29, 2021 4:05 PM CDT
Biden Concedes 'Clumsy' Handling of Deal to Macron
Leaders meet for the first time since security alliance left France in the cold
- Meeting with President Emmanuel Macron for the first time since a weapons deal with Australia caused a US-France rift , President Biden said the situation was mishandled by his administration. "It was not done with a lot of grace," Biden said in an appearance with Macron on Friday. France...
Pope 'Gave Hope' to Rome's
Prisoners With Ice Cream
Sep 8, 2021 1:29 PM CDT
Pope 'Gave Hope' to Rome's Prisoners With Ice Cream
Vatican says 15K ice creams were delivered to 2 prisons
- Italy may have broken the record for the hottest temperature ever logged in Europe—and amid the sweltering heat, Pope Francis made a gesture that's quite literally cool. A statement from the Vatican said that 15,000 ice creams were sent to prisoners in Rome. Reuters reports the "...
Ancient Roman Boundary
Marker Found at Dig
Jul 17, 2021 1:20 PM CDT
Ancient Roman Boundary Marker Found at Dig
This pomerial stone marked the city limits and dates from 49 AD
- Archaeologists have discovered a rare stone delineating the city limits of ancient Rome that dates from the age of Emperor Claudius in 49 A.D. and was found during excavations for a new sewage system. Rome Mayor Virginia Raggi was on hand for the unveiling Friday of the pomerial stone,...
Tourists Can Visit Gladiators'
Jun 26, 2021 1:15 PM CDT
Tourists Can Visit Gladiators' Underground Chambers
The amphitheater's 'backstage' is restored and open
- You can get backstage passes to the Colosseum in Rome, now. The giant landmark, also known as the Flavian Amphitheater, has been undergoing renovations for years now with the help of an Italian fashion brand, and the latest project has been to make the hypogeum more accessible to the public....
Jun 9, 2021 4:22 PM CDT
Screams Rise From Rome's Streets as Crows Attack
Pedestrians carry umbrellas or sticks, or stay inside
- Strolling through the streets of Rome takes on an added element of danger every spring, when carrion crows guarding their chicks swoop down to attack passing humans, regarding them as a danger. Humans return the sentiment. The crows "are everywhere," one woman said after being attacked by a...
Critics on Colosseum Overhaul:
'Italy Seen Via Las Vegas'
May 3, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
Critics on Colosseum Overhaul: 'Italy Seen Via Las Vegas'
High-tech $18M stage will cover up structure's subterranean chambers, offering a 'gladiator's view'
- If you're one of the millions who've converged upon the Colosseum in Rome, your past visits likely included wandering around the seating area and peering down into the underground chambers. In a couple of years, tourists there will have the chance to participate in a new activity: taking...
Off-Duty Cops Antiquing in
Brussels Make Quite a Find
Apr 14, 2021 10:50 AM CDT
Off-Duty Cops Antiquing in Brussels Make Quite a Find
Roman statue worth $120K had been stolen from Italy nearly a decade ago
- Two Italian police officers on assignment in Belgium were exploring some of Brussels' antique shops after work when they discovered a $120,000 Roman statue, stolen from Italy nearly a decade ago. The statue of a headless Roman in a draped toga struck the men as suspicious. As members of...
From US Tourist
Nov 25, 2020 1:46 PM CST
Rome Museum Receives Apology From US Tourist
She confessed to swiping ancient Roman marble 3 years ago
- A Canadian woman who returned artifacts swiped from Pompeii after experiencing terrible luck may have started a trend. The National Roman Museum says it recently received a chunk of ancient marble in a package sent from Atlanta, Georgia, along with a note in which a woman apologized for being an...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
US Downs Chinese Balloon Off South Carolina Coast
Now There's a 2nd Balloon, per Pentagon
A Vital Mineral Deposit Could Bring Big Change to Nebraska Village
This Reporter Followed George Santos Around for 16 Hours
Judge Wants Answers After Jan. 6 Defendant Recants Guilt
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.