Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Say Goodbye to
Tian Tian and Family
Nov 8, 2023 9:50 AM CST
Say Goodbye to Tian Tian and Family
Giant panda, as well as mate Mei Xiang and cub Xiao Qi Ji are heading back to China on Wednesday
- For nearly a quarter century, giant pandas Mei Xiang and Tian Tian have called the Smithsonian's National Zoo in DC home, part of a "panda diplomacy" initiative with China established during the Nixon years that involved loaning pandas to the US for breeding and research purposes. Now, the...
DC to Lose Famous Trio Due
to 'Punitive Panda Diplomacy'
Oct 3, 2023 8:35 AM CDT
DC to Lose Famous Trio Due to 'Punitive Panda Diplomacy'
Amid strained relations with China, it's not clear if deal for pandas struck by Nixon will be renewed
- The National Zoo's three giant pandas—Mei Xiang, Tian Tian, and their cub Xiao Qi Ji—are set to return to China in early December, with no public signs that the 50-year-old exchange agreement struck by former President Nixon will continue, reports the AP . National Zoo officials have remained...
A Big Panda Milestone
Is Marked With Cake
Apr 18, 2022 9:55 AM CDT
A Big Panda Milestone Is Marked With Cake
Over the weekend, a celebration of 50 years of pandas at the National Zoo
- The "cake" was made from frozen fruit juice, sweet potatoes, carrots, and sugar cane, and it lasted about 15 minutes once giant panda mama Mei Xiang and her cub Xiao Qi Ji got hold of it. The National Zoo's most famous tenants had an enthusiastic breakfast Saturday in...
9 Big Cats at National Zoo
Being Treated for COVID
Sep 18, 2021 12:00 PM CDT
9 Big Cats at National Zoo Being Treated for COVID
Keepers aren't sure how the lions and tigers got sick
- Lions and tigers and … COVID? Several big cats at the Smithsonian National Zoo in Washington, DC, have tested positive after showing symptoms like decreased appetite, lethargy, and sneezing, per NBC 4 Washington . Zoo officials aren’t sure how the big cats got sick—they’re too far from visitors...
Cub' at DC's
Aug 22, 2020 6:00 AM CDT
Giant Panda Delivers 'Miracle' Cub' at DC's National Zoo
Mei Xiang, 22, is oldest giant panda in US to give birth, also first to do so in US using frozen semen
- "A precious giant panda cub has arrived!" That was the excited tweet Friday evening from the National Zoo in Washington, DC, announcing the birth of what the
calls a "miracle cub." Giant panda Mei Xiang, 22, delivered a "wonderful, wiggly cub" at 6:...
Dies in Fall
Jul 3, 2018 2:04 PM CDT
National Zoo's New Baby Dies in Fall
2 golden lion tamarins were born Friday
- When Smithsonian.com reported on Friday's birth of two golden lion tamarins at the National Zoo, it cautioned that 50% of infants typically don't make it to age one. That dour statistic has played itself out: One of the two died at just four days old on Tuesday,...
Ollie the Bobcat
Escapes DC Zoo
Jan 30, 2017 5:03 PM CST
Ollie the Bobcat Escapes DC Zoo
She's 25 pounds and resembles a big house cat
- A 25-pound bobcat has sprung herself from the National Zoo in Washington, DC. Ollie went missing Monday morning, probably through an opening in the mesh around her enclosure, reports WTOP . Zoo officials hope she doesn't get into the adjacent Rock Creek Park, which they describe as the perfect place...
National Zoo's Baby Panda
Is No Shrinking Violet
Dec 16, 2015 11:14 AM CST
National Zoo's Baby Panda Is No Shrinking Violet
Bei Bei is performing well ahead of his public debut
- If the youngest giant panda cub at the National Zoo is stressed out about appearing in front of crowds for the first time, he isn't showing it. Keepers were expecting Bei Bei to squawk and squirm during an audience with a small media contingent Monday. Instead, he quickly fell...
We Now Know the
Panda Cub's Gender
Aug 28, 2015 9:34 AM CDT
We Now Know the Panda Cub's Gender
Surviving panda twin is a male: National Zoo
- The National Zoo's panda parents, Mei Xiang and Tian Tian, have a son. The zoo announced this morning that the surviving panda cub is male and the son of the zoo's male panda, Tian Tian. Mei Xiang gave birth to fraternal twins Saturday, but the smaller cub—also...
Tiny Panda Cub Twin Dies
Aug 26, 2015 3:38 PM CDT
Tiny Panda Cub Twin Dies
Mei Xiang loses the smaller of her two babies
- A heartbreaking update to the story of Mei Xiang's panda cubs: The smaller twin born to the National Zoo panda has died. The new mom had started ignoring the smaller cub in favor of nursing the bigger one, and the zoo tweeted today, "We are sad to report...
Panda Mom Is Ignoring
One of Her New Cubs
Aug 26, 2015 9:20 AM CDT
Panda Mom Is Ignoring One of Her New Cubs
Smaller cub in care of vets is having digestive issues
- Workers at the National Zoo are continuing to care for one panda cub while the other is safely in the care of its mother—but it appears Mei Xiang has decided she is "not a willing participant" in the zoo's swapping program , reports
. Since the twin cubs'...
Birth to Twins
Aug 23, 2015 8:44 AM CDT
Surprise! Panda Actually Gave Birth to Twins
Mei Xiang pulls a fast one on the National Zoo
- The National Zoo's blessed event yesterday has multiplied by two, with the unexpected addition of a second panda cub, reports the
Washington Post .
Zoo officials were still celebrating the birth of Mei Xiang's first cub yesterday at 5:34pm—with a rep crowing that the zoo was "...
Aug 22, 2015 5:17 PM CDT
National Zoo's Giant Panda Gives Birth
Mei Xiang is a mom again
- Great news out of the National Zoo in Washington this afternoon: The giant panda Mei Xiang gave birth at 5:34pm, the zoo announced via tweet . No word yet on the gender. The
notes that Mei Xiang has given birth to four other cubs since 2005, two of...
Inside the Insanely
Tricky Process of
Aug 20, 2015 9:44 AM CDT
Inside the Insanely Tricky Process of Breeding Pandas
Cross your fingers: a panda cub could be on the way
- Congratulations are in order for the National Zoo's female giant panda—or so veterinarians hope based on an ultrasound yesterday: Mei Xiang is presumably pregnant. Experts are cautious as the 1.5-inch-long fetus could still be reabsorbed or the panda could miscarry. Research vet Pierre Comizzoli says the ultrasound...
Pandas Didn't Know
How to Have Sex
Jul 29, 2014 11:40 AM CDT
Nixon Worried Pandas Didn't Know How to Have Sex
'The only way they learn is to watch other pandas mate'
- It's more than a little disturbing that America's least sexy president spent a nanosecond thinking about panda sex—but a recorded conversation reveals none other than Richard Nixon telling
foreign editor Crosby Noyes that, "They don't know how to mate." The recording comes...
Zoo Saves Sloth Bear Cub After Mom Eats Siblings
Mar 21, 2014 12:30 PM CDT
Zoo Saves Sloth Bear Cub After Mom Eats Siblings
Keepers are hand-raising her for now
- Animal keepers at the National Zoo have saved a sloth bear cub after two others were eaten by the mother. The three cubs were born in December to a mother named Khali. One was eaten within 20 minutes, and a second cub was eaten after seven days. The zoo says...
at National Zoo:
'We Have a Cub!'
Aug 23, 2013 5:20 PM CDT
Panda News at National Zoo: 'We Have a Cub!'
Mei Xiang gives birth to a female
- A giant panda at Washington's National Zoo has given birth to her third cub, a female. Mei Xiang gave birth late this afternoon, two hours after her water broke. Zoo officials said its panda team heard the cub vocalize and said Mei Xiang picked the cub up immediately and...
Rare Tiger Cubs
Born at National Zoo
Aug 8, 2013 7:38 AM CDT
Rare Tiger Cubs Born at National Zoo
Endangered Sumatran breed gets two new members
- Endangered Sumatran tigers got two new additions this week: A female named Damai at the National Zoo in DC gave birth to a pair of healthy cubs on Monday. Only about 500 of the tigers exist in the wild, with 65 in zoos in North America, notes the
Red Panda Escapes
From National Zoo
Jun 24, 2013 4:19 PM CDT
Red Panda Escapes From National Zoo
Rusty found in DC neighborhood, thanks to Twitter
- A red panda from the National Zoo in DC went missing last night, sparking a social media-driven panda-hunt after the zoo tweeted , "We are looking for a missing red panda, a male named Rusty. He was last seen at 6 p.m. last night." @NationalZoo continued to provide...
Oct 11, 2012 10:03 AM CDT
Liver Problem Killed Baby Panda: Zoo
Mother Mei Xiang reportedly improving
- A National Zoo veterinarian says a liver problem was indeed to blame for the death last month of a 6-day-old giant panda cub. Chief veterinarian Suzan Murray told a news conference today that the cub's cause of death was liver necrosis, or the death of liver cells. Murray says...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
'80s Power Ballad Bands Are Going On Tour Together
Actor Hit Big With Love Story
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
High School Killer Gets Life
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.