Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
New York state
Stories 1 - 20 |
Teen Who Killed
Jan 25, 2023 3:18 PM CST
Teen Who Killed Rival Cheerleader Sentenced
15-year-old could be out in 3 years
- A 15-year-old girl who killed a rival cheerleader last year apologized for her "bad choices" Tuesday before she was sentenced. The girl, whose name isn't being disclosed due to her age, pleaded guilty last month to manslaughter in the April death of 16-year-old Kayla Green after an event...
2 Confirmed Dead
in NY Plane Crash
Jan 20, 2023 10:39 AM CST
2 Confirmed Dead in NY Plane Crash
Wreckage of single-engine plane found in woods near Westchester County Airport
- Two men were killed Thursday when a single-engine plane bound for Ohio crashed north of New York City. The Beechcraft A36 took off from JFK Airport at 4:58pm and crashed near Westchester County Airport, around 40 miles away, soon after the pilot contacted the airport to report low oil...
NY Lawmakers Vote
to Make Themselves
Nation's Highest Paid
Dec 23, 2022 11:00 AM CST
NY Lawmakers Vote to Make Themselves Nation's Highest Paid
They approved $142K salary in special session
- State lawmakers in New York have voted to give themselves a Christmas present: Their second large pay rise in the space of four years. A measure to increase the base pay of state Assembly and Senate members from $110,000 to $142,000 sailed through both Democratic-controlled houses of the...
7 Kids Hurt as School Bus
Crashed Into House
Dec 1, 2022 4:59 PM CST
7 Kids Hurt as School Bus Crashed Into House
The injuries in New York's Rockland County are not life-threatening
- Seven children were injured Thursday when a school bus veered off the road in suburban New York, hit two parked cars, and crashed into a house, police said. The crash happened just before 9am in the village of New Hempstead in Rockland County, said the Ramapo police department, per the...
State Watchdog Agrees With
NTSB on Blame in Limo Crash
Oct 29, 2022 4:20 PM CDT
State Watchdog Agrees With NTSB on Blame in Limo Crash
Inspector general reports gaps in policies and procedures
: A state watchdog released a report Friday night blaming New York regulators in the 2018 fatal crash of a limousine—just as federal regulators did two years ago. Oversight by the Department of Transportation and Department of Motor Vehicles was inadequate, state Inspector General Lucy Lang found, the AP...
NY Attorney General Sues
Trump, His Kids, His Company
Sep 21, 2022 10:49 AM CDT
NY Attorney General Sues Trump, His Kids, His Company
Attorney General Letitia James' lawsuit is culmination of 3-year civil investigation
- New York's attorney general sued former President Trump and his company on Wednesday, alleging business fraud involving some of their most prized assets, including properties in Manhattan, Chicago, and Washington, DC. Attorney General Letitia James' lawsuit , filed in state court in New York, is the culmination of the Democrat'...
New York Declares
Emergency on Polio
Sep 10, 2022 8:25 AM CDT
New York Declares Emergency on Polio
Virus is detected in another county's wastewater
- New York state reported a rare case of polio back in July, and no active cases have since surfaced. However, the virus that causes the potentially fatal disease appears to be spreading nonetheless, prompting Gov. Kathy Hochul to declare a state of emergency, reports NBC News . Her move on Friday...
New York Ends
After 28 Months
Sep 7, 2022 4:55 PM CDT
New York Ends Mask Mandate After 28 Months
They're now optional on mass transit, but not in hospitals
- Masks are still recommended on public transportation in New York, Gov. Kathy Hochul says—but after 28 months, they are no longer mandatory. Hochul announced an end to the mass transit mask mandate Wednesday, though many people stopped heeding it months ago and officials had largely stopped enforcing it, NBC...
Want to Buy Whipped Cream?
Can I See Some ID?
Aug 30, 2022 8:21 AM CDT
Want to Buy Whipped Cream? Can I See Some ID?
NY stores are starting to ban sale to minors, but bill's sponsor says that wasn't the intent
- Turns out former President Trump may not have been completely wrong about needing ID when buying groceries, at least in some stores in his home state that are apparently misinterpreting a recently implemented law. Late last year, New York state passed a restriction on the selling of whippits—the cartridges...
Who Takes on
Aug 23, 2022 9:20 AM CDT
Big Primary Question: Who Takes on DeSantis?
Florida Democratic race and congressional contests in New York are in spotlight
- Tuesday is another primary day, with a handful of races in Florida and New York getting the bulk of attention. Coverage:
Democrats will pick their nominee to face Gov. Ron DeSantis in November. Congressman Charlie Crist, who previously served as governor, is running against state Agriculture Commissioner Nikki
A Special Election Next Week
Is Being Closely Watched
Aug 20, 2022 8:15 AM CDT
A Special Election Next Week Is Being Closely Watched
Contest to fill open congressional seat in New York state seen as a national 'bellwether'
- It was shaping up to be a ho-hum special election in New York state to fill an open congressional seat. But next week's contest between Republican Marc Molinaro and Democrat Pat Ryan has suddenly become so much more. Politico sees it as the "ultimate bellwether" race, one that...
'The News Is
Aug 13, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
Agent on Rushdie: 'The News Is Not Good'
Author will likely lose an eye, suffered severed nerves in arm, damaged liver, says Andrew Wylie
- One day after he was stabbed while onstage at New York state's Chautauqua Institution to give a lecture, Salman Rushdie is hooked up to a ventilator and not able to talk, his agent says, per the BBC . "The news is not good," Andrew Wylie told the
'Alarming' New Find on
Polio in New York State
Aug 12, 2022 1:46 PM CDT
'Alarming' New Find on Polio in New York State
After emerging in Hudson Valley, virus pops up in NYC sewage, suggesting local circulation
- Polio appears to be working its way south through New York state, now making an appearance in New York City sewage after earlier showing up in wastewater in Orange and Rockland counties, reports CNBC . That suggests the virus is now circulating locally, spreading quietly among the unvaccinated. It's an...
New York State Ditches
the Word 'Inmates'
Aug 12, 2022 8:06 AM CDT
New York State Ditches the Word 'Inmates'
State amends laws to replace term with 'incarcerated person'
- New York has amended several state laws to remove the word “inmate” and replace it with “incarcerated person” to refer to people serving prison time. The changes, signed into law this week by Gov. Kathy Hochul, are intended to reduce the stigma of being in jail, per the...
'Hundreds' of People in NY
May Be Infected With Polio
Aug 5, 2022 11:21 AM CDT
'Hundreds' of People in NY May Be Infected With Polio
So says state's health commissioner after virus turns up in wastewater in a 2nd county
- News last month of an unvaccinated man in New York's Rockland County contracting polio and suffering paralysis was soon followed by reports of the virus being found in wastewater there. Now, nearby Orange County has also turned up polio in its sewage, in samples taken from two different locations...
Polio Resurfaces in New York
Jul 21, 2022 3:34 PM CDT
Polio Resurfaces in New York
New York health officials say infection originated in a vaccine
- A case of polio has been confirmed in New York state, the health department announced Thursday. The infected person has a type 2 vaccine-derived poliovirus, STAT News reports. The department gave the source as an oral polio vaccine, which hasn't been used in the US since 2000. Other countries...
Jul 8, 2022 5:10 PM CDT
Cuomo Abused Authority for Book: Report
Investigation finds New York governor misused state resources on $5M project
- Former New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo improperly used state resources for a book he received $5.1 million to write, according to a report by a law firm. New York's soon-to-be-disbanded ethics commission, the Joint Commission on Public Ethics, voted Thursday to make the report public. It had sought...
After Court Ruling,
State Puts Limits
on Concealed Guns
Jul 2, 2022 3:00 PM CDT
After Court Ruling, State Puts Limits on Concealed Guns
New York lawmakers quickly approve new measures
- New York has answered the US Supreme Court's ruling last week that overturned state restrictions on carrying concealed weapons—a law that had been in place for more than a century. "I just signed a new law to keep New Yorkers safe," Gov. Kathy Hochul tweeted after...
Supreme Court Gives Big Win
to Gun Rights Advocates
Jun 23, 2022 10:18 AM CDT
Supreme Court Gives Big Win to Gun Rights Advocates
Justices strike down New York law restricting who can carry concealed weapons
- The Supreme Court handed advocates for gun rights a major victory on Thursday with a ruling expected to make it easier for people to carry concealed handguns:
The court struck down a New York law requiring that people who want to carry concealed weapons must show a "proper
'Thoughts and Prayers Won't
Fix This': NY Changes Gun Law
Jun 6, 2022 1:14 PM CDT
'Thoughts and Prayers Won't Fix This': NY Changes Gun Law
Sale of semiautomatic rifles restricted to those 21 and older
- New Yorkers under age 21 will be prohibited from buying semiautomatic rifles under a new law signed Monday by Gov. Kathy Hochul, making the state one of the first to enact a major gun control initiative following a wave of deadly mass shootings, per the AP . Hochul, a Democrat, signed...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman, 29, Arrested After Enrolling at NJ High School
Five Fired Memphis Cops Are Charged With Murder
The Suspects in Calif. Shootings Are 'Particularly Stunning'
Popular Disney Ride Has Closed, and It's Getting 'Weird'
Lawsuit: Woman, 97, Froze to Death in View of Facility's Security Cameras
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.