Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Army Base Renamed to
Honor Black WWI Hero
Jun 13, 2023 6:32 PM CDT
Army Base Renamed to Honor Black WWI Hero
Fort Polk in Louisiana is now Fort Johnson
- A US Army base in western Louisiana was renamed Tuesday to honor Sgt. William Henry Johnson, a Black hero of World War I who received the Medal of Honor nearly a century later. Fort Johnson had previously been named after a Confederate commander, Leonidas Polk. The renaming is part of...
Fort Bragg Is
No Longer Fort Bragg
Jun 2, 2023 11:01 AM CDT
Fort Bragg Is No Longer Fort Bragg
Military renames it Fort Liberty, part of a push to rid itself of Confederate names
- Quick, name the biggest military base in the country. The longtime answer of "Fort Bragg" is no longer correct. The Pentagon on Friday formally renamed the gigantic base in North Carolina "Fort Liberty," reports CNN . It's part of the military's ongoing push to rid itself...
US Opts Not to Shoot
New Balloon Out of Sky
May 2, 2023 7:21 AM CDT
US Opts Not to Shoot New Balloon Out of Sky
But military is watching a new mystery object that drifted over Hawaii, is now headed to Mexico
- After a mysterious spate of balloon sightings earlier this year, a new entry has made its way into the mix. NBC News reports that the US military has been tailing a new balloon since late last week that drifted over parts of Hawaii, though officials indicate it didn't fly...
Report: Leaker of
Works at Military Base
Apr 13, 2023 5:15 AM CDT
Report: Leaker of Classified Documents Works at Military Base
Discord server member says leaker has anti-government views
- The person who leaked classified military documents online is a gun enthusiast who works on a military base and shared secrets for months in a private Discord chatroom with around two dozen members, according to two members who spoke to the
. One member, who is under 18 and...
Fort Hood Is Getting
a New Name in May
Mar 27, 2023 6:45 PM CDT
Fort Hood Is Getting a New Name in May
Fort named after Confederate general is becoming Fort Cavazos
- Fort Hood is weeks away from the second name change in its history. In 1950, eight years after the Army base was established in central Texas, Camp Hood became Fort Hood—but this year's renaming reflects bigger changes. The name of Confederate Gen. John Hood is being dropped and...
US Strikes Syria After
Drone Kills Contractor
Mar 24, 2023 5:31 AM CDT
US Strikes Syria After Drone Kills Contractor
Pentagon says suspected Iran drone injured 5 soldiers
- A strike Thursday by a suspected Iranian-made drone killed a US contractor and wounded five American troops and another contractor in northeast Syria, the Pentagon said. American forces said they retaliated soon after with "precision airstrikes" in Syria targeting facilities used by groups affiliated with Iran's Revolutionary Guard,...
US Commander: Russia Is
Ignoring Syria Protocols
Mar 23, 2023 4:48 AM CDT
US Commander: Russia Is Ignoring Syria Protocols
He says armed jets are flying over US outpost almost every day
- The Black Sea, where Russian jets forced down an American drone last week, is far from the only potential flashpoint between US and Russian forces. Lt. Gen. Alexus Grynkewich at US Central Command says armed Russian jets have flown over the Al-Tanf base in southeast Syria almost every day this...
Army Brings Back
Old Recruiting Slogan
Mar 9, 2023 7:47 AM CST
Army Brings Back Old Recruiting Slogan
'Be All You Can Be' returns as Army struggles to meet recruitment goals
- After falling a long way short of its recruiting target last year, the Army has launched a new campaign with an old slogan. In a rebranding campaign unveiled Wednesday, the Army brought back its "Be All You Can Be" slogan, which was first used in 1981, replacing 1970s slogans...
War Game Results Don't
Bode Well for US Military
Mar 7, 2023 11:09 AM CST
War Game Results Don't Bode Well for US Military
'Wall Street Journal' finds that America isn't ready for a new era of conflict with China
- Last year, a war game simulation looked at what might happen if China launched an amphibious attack on Taiwan. China would be happy with the results: The US side ran out of long-range cruise missiles in a week, writes Michael R. Gordon in the
Wall Street Journal
. The reasons behind...
Pentagon to Military Members:
Stop Eating Poppy Seeds
Feb 22, 2023 10:40 AM CST
Pentagon to Military Members: Stop Eating Poppy Seeds
They could cause a failed drug test, memo warns
- It's a lesson that Elaine learned the hard way —and one that's not purely the stuff of TV lore . In a Feb. 17 memo , the Under Secretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness Gilbert Cisneros warned service members of the potential perils posed by poppy seeds as...
4 US Troops, and Dog,
Wounded in Syrian Raid
Feb 17, 2023 2:14 PM CST
4 US Troops, and Dog, Wounded in Syrian Raid
Helicopter strike killed a senior member of the Islamic State
- The US military said Friday that a helicopter raid led by its forces in northeast Syria left a senior leader with the Islamic State group dead and four American service members wounded. The operation was conducted Thursday night in partnership with the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces, which is allied with...
US Jet Shoots Down
Off Alaska Coast
Feb 10, 2023 10:57 PM CST
US Jet Shoots Down Unknown Object Off Alaska Coast
Pentagon says Biden decided flying object was a threat to civilian aircraft
- A US military fighter jet shot down an unknown object flying off the remote northern coast of Alaska on Friday on orders from President Biden, White House officials said. White House National Security Council spokesman John Kirby said the object was downed because it was flying at about 40,000...
US Just Made a Move
to Counter China
Feb 2, 2023 11:30 AM CST
US Just Made a Move to Counter China
US forces get access to 4 more sites in the Philippines
- The US has struck a military deal with the Philippines in what the
New York Times
see as a clear move to counter China's might in the region. Defense chief Lloyd Austin and Philippines leader Ferdinand Marcos Jr. announced Thursday that US forces will have...
US Says Chinese Intercept
Could Have Caused Collision
Dec 30, 2022 4:33 AM CST
US Says Chinese Intercept Could Have Caused Collision
Fighter jet flew dangerously close to US plane over South China Sea, military says
- The US military says a Chinese fighter jet flew dangerously close to an Air Force plane over the South China Sea, forcing the American pilot to maneuver to avoid a collision. US Indo-Pacific Command said in a statement Thursday that the incident occurred Dec. 21 when the Chinese People's...
Court: Marine Sikh Recruits
Need Not Shave for Boot Camp
Dec 27, 2022 11:36 AM CST
Court: Marine Sikh Recruits Need Not Shave for Boot Camp
Federal appeals court grants the exemption
- A federal court ruling will result in a rare sight at Marine boot camp: two bearded recruits. The District of Columbia's federal appeals court has ruled that the pair of Sikh men shouldn't be forced to shave off the beards they keep for religious reasons, reports NPR . Plaintiffs...
Ulysses S. Grant Just
Got a Promotion
Dec 24, 2022 12:35 PM CST
Ulysses S. Grant Just Got a Promotion
He is posthumously lifted to rare rank of general of the armies of the United States
- The giant defense bill signed into law this week by President Biden has an unusual item tucked within it. The measure posthumously promotes Ulysses S. Grant to general of the armies of the United States, reports the
. It's the Army's highest rank, and only two others...
Navy SEAL Who
Is Now Detransitioning
Dec 12, 2022 2:50 AM CST
Navy SEAL Who Famously Transitioned Is Now Detransitioning
Chris Beck says transitioning to female 'destroyed my life'
- Chris Beck, the former Navy SEAL who gained notoriety after coming out as transgender after leaving the military , is detransitioning. Beck, who was born Chris but lived as Kristin after coming out as trans, is now back to his birth name and tells conservative influencer Robby Starbuck that while he...
Putin Hints at First-Strike
Policy, Cites 'US Counterparts'
Dec 9, 2022 4:08 PM CST
Putin Hints at First-Strike Policy, Cites 'US Counterparts'
Russian president doesn't say it, but analysts hear veiled nuclear threat
- Russian President Vladimir Putin said Friday that Moscow could adopt what he described as a US concept of using preemptive military strikes, noting it has the weapons to do the job, in a blunt statement amid rising Russia-NATO tensions over Ukraine. "We are just thinking about it. They weren'...
US Military Really Didn't Want
You to Know What's in New
Oct 18, 2022 6:30 PM CDT
US Military Really Didn't Want You to Know What's in New
Report suggests there's basically no oversight for retired personnel who work for foreign powers
Washington Post has
unveiled a major three-part investigation of retired US military personnel who work for foreign militaries, including for some countries "known for human rights abuses and political repression." The report contains a lot of information the government tried to keep secret, and it only came...
North Korea Sends Missile
Over Japan, Into Ocean
Oct 3, 2022 7:45 PM CDT
North Korea Sends Missile Over Japan, Into Ocean
Residents in northern prefectures are told to take cover
- North Korea fired a ballistic missile over Japan on Tuesday, an escalation from the barrage of tests conducted in the past few days while the US and other nations conduct military drills in the region. In a rare move, Japan told residents in two northern prefectures to seek shelter. It...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
UN Has Harsh Words for Iran Over Child's Execution
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Matthew Perry's Famous Stepdad Breaks His Silence
Henry Kissinger Dies at 100
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.