Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
He Spent 5 Years
Solving a Grizzly Mystery
Jan 29, 2023 12:30 PM CST
He Spent 5 Years Solving a Grizzly Mystery
Clayton Lamb was perplexed after coming upon 4 bears who were all missing toes
- "Part of what makes a grizzly bear a grizzly bear is their very long claws. It’s just something essential." So explains Canadian biologist Clayton Lamb, and in a piece for the
, Dino Grandoni elaborates. Those paws and claws are key to a bear's ability...
Black or Brown Bears, Sure.
But What About Cinnamon?
Dec 19, 2022 8:17 AM CST
Black or Brown Bears, Sure. But What About Cinnamon?
Study identifies genetic variant that makes black bears look like grizzlies
- Those who traipse around the woods may be familiar with an old saying about what to do if they encounter a bear: “If it’s black, fight back; if it’s brown, lie down; if it’s white, say good night.” Nowhere, however, does the word "cinnamon"...
Grizzlies Were Wiped Out Here.
Feds Want Them Back
Nov 13, 2022 9:35 AM CST
Grizzlies Were Wiped Out Here. Feds Want Them Back
Effort to reintroduce bears to Washington's North Cascades begins again
- A controversial campaign to increase the number of grizzly bears in Washington state, specifically in prime habitat areas where a viable population has long been absent, has been renewed. Environmental groups applauded Thursday's announcement that the National Park Service and the US Forest Service had initiated a first step...
Fighting Off Grizzly Bear,
Hunter Shoots Himself
Oct 25, 2022 3:02 AM CDT
Fighting Off Grizzly Bear, Hunter Shoots Himself
But man survived the Wyoming attack
- A Wyoming hunter managed to scare off an attacking grizzly bear Friday night in an area south of Grand Teton National Park—but in the process, he shot himself in the leg. Lee Francis, 65, was hunting with his 40-year-old son in Rock Creek, along the Sawtooth mountains, when the...
College Wrestler Tries to
Pull Grizzly Off Teammate,
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Oct 22, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
College Wrestler Tries to Pull Grizzly Off Teammate, Gets Attacked
Both are expected to survive
- Two college wrestlers from Wyoming were attacked by a grizzly bear during a hike outside Cody on Saturday. Four members of the Northwest College wrestling team went hiking and horn hunting (hunting for shed antlers, per KSL ) after practice, and were coming down a mountain in the late afternoon...
Report Makes Disturbing
Find on Grizzly Attack
Jul 19, 2022 9:34 AM CDT
Report Makes Disturbing Find on Grizzly Attack
Leah Lokan died instantly of broken neck, severed spine in rare predatory attack
- A woman fatally mauled in Montana last summer was the victim of a rare predatory attack by a grizzly bear that had learned to seek out human food, according to a new report. Leah Davis Lokan of Chico, Calif., was participating in a long-distance bike trip when she stopped to...
Man Hiking at High Elevation
in Wyoming Is Mauled by Bear
Jun 29, 2022 11:53 AM CDT
Man Hiking at High Elevation in Wyoming Is Mauled by Bear
It was thought to be a grizzly
- A hiker appears to have survived being mauled by a grizzly bear in northwestern Wyoming. The "experienced out-of-state recreationalist" was hiking high up on the 13,000-foot Francs Peak Monday when he met a bear, thought to be a grizzly. The Wyoming Game and Fish Department on Tuesday characterized...
Officials: Missing Hiker
Was Mauled by Grizzly
Mar 26, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
Officials: Missing Hiker Was Mauled by Grizzly
Montana's Craig Clouatre was found Friday after 'extensive search' in Paradise Valley
- A dad of four from Livingston, Mont., never met back up with a friend after they got separated during a hike in Paradise Valley Wednesday, and now, a sad development. Local authorities say it appears 40-year-old Craig Clouatre was fatally mauled by a grizzly bear in the Six Mile Creek...
Woman Charged by Grizzly
in Yellowstone Gets Jail
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Oct 10, 2021 12:31 PM CDT
Woman Charged by Grizzly in Yellowstone Gets Jail
Samantha Dehring could have been mauled, prosecutor says
An Illinois tourist spotted taking photos of a grizzly bear and her cubs pleaded guilty to willfully being within 100 yards of wildlife and will spend four days in jail. She's also barred from Yellowstone National Park for a year. Samantha Dehring told the court she regrets putting...
'Goat Kills Grizzly'
Isn't the Headline
Sep 21, 2021 10:25 AM CDT
'Goat Kills Grizzly' Isn't the Headline We Expected
But it's the headline we're getting out of Canada, thanks to one goat's apparently deadly horns
- If we were betting folks and had to wager on a fight between a mountain goat and a grizzly bear, it seems obvious where the safe money would land. But in what the
calls a "rare turn of events," the GOAT title in this case out of...
Wyoming Says It's Time to
Lift Grizzly Bear Protections
Sep 17, 2021 8:28 AM CDT
Wyoming Says It's Time to Lift Grizzly Bear Protections
State is applying to have species delisted in Yellowstone region
- Wyoming is taking another shot at bringing back the grizzly bear hunt. Gov. Mark Gordon, calling it a "wonderful day of celebration, not only for the grizzly bear but for Wyoming," announced Thursday that the state will seek the lifting of federal protections for the bears in the...
Another Grizzly Attack,
This Time in Denali
Aug 25, 2021 3:41 AM CDT
Another Grizzly Attack, This Time in Denali
Man uses bear spray, gets away
- Grizzly attacks have been making headlines in recent months, but the latest story has a happier ending. A hiker in Alaska's Denali National Park was attacked Monday night, but managed to deploy bear spray, which the park service believes may have cut the attack short. The bear, who had...
Bear Attack Survivor
Flags Down Helicopter
Jul 22, 2021 10:45 AM CDT
Bear Attack Survivor Flags Down Helicopter
He told rescuers the bear had been returning every night and he only had 2 shots left
- Lt. Cmdr Jared Carbajal says that in his 12 years as a Coast Guard helicopter pilot, an incident last Friday was the first time he was flagged down by somebody in need of rescue—and the man at a remote mining camp certainly needed it. The injured man told rescuers...
After Fatal Mauling, Officials
Find and Shoot Grizzly
Jul 9, 2021 12:04 PM CDT
After Fatal Mauling, Officials Find and Shoot Grizzly
They await DNA tests, but Montana officials say it's likely same bear that killed Leah Davis Lokan
- Wildlife officials in Montana say the bear that attacked and killed a camper from California earlier this week is likely no more. A male grizzly, which authorities believe dragged 65-year-old nurse Leah Davis Lokan from her tent early Tuesday while she was sleeping, was shot by federal wildlife employees just...
Victim of Grizzly Attack
Was 65-Year-Old Nurse
Jul 8, 2021 1:02 PM CDT
Victim of Grizzly Attack Was 65-Year-Old Nurse
Bear pulled her from her tent in Montana town
- Authorities in Montana are still trying to track down and kill a grizzly bear that pulled a woman from her tent and killed her early Tuesday. More details on the attack that horrified the small town of Ovando were released Wednesday, the
Great Falls Tribune
reports. The state's Fish,...
Town 'Shaken Up' After
Grizzly Bear Kills Camper
Jul 6, 2021 6:42 PM CDT
Town 'Shaken Up' After Grizzly Bear Kills Camper
Authorities in western Montana are searching for animal's 'daybed'
- A grizzly bear attacked and killed a bicyclist who was camping in a small western Montana town early Tuesday, triggering an intensive search for the bruin by wildlife officials and law enforcement officers who planned to kill the animal, authorities say. The pre-dawn attack happened in Ovando, a town of...
Grizzly Bear Found Decapitated,
Declawed in Yellowstone River
Jul 4, 2021 4:50 PM CDT
Grizzly Bear Found Decapitated, Declawed in Yellowstone River
The bears are protected and it's illegal to possess any part of them
- Grizzly bear 394 had a long life. He was 25 when he washed up on the banks of the Yellowstone River in Montana, and thin from age at almost 600 pounds. He was tagged in Wyoming and relocated to Yellowstone National Park where he lived an uneventful life, the
Fight Emerges Over Grizzly
Living Near Wyoming Road
Jun 21, 2021 11:58 AM CDT
Fight Emerges Over Grizzly Living Near Wyoming Road
USFWS is trying to scare it and its cubs off, and the plan has many critics
- The US Fish and Wildlife Service is asking people to avoid the Togwotee Pass area in Wyoming for the remainder of the month so that it can "conduct targeted hazing operations on grizzly bear 863."
reports the bear, known by locals as "Felicia," and...
A New Type of Bear Is
Gaining Traction: the 'Pizzly'
in case you missed it
May 8, 2021 8:00 AM CDT
A New Type of Bear Is Gaining Traction: the 'Pizzly'
Hybrid of polar and grizzly bears are becoming more common as habitats overlap
- Polar bears and grizzly bears diverged about 500,000 years ago. Now, a changing planet appears to be bringing them back together. Live Science reports that the two species have been running into each other—and mating—with greater frequency in recent years, resulting in a hybrid bear known as...
Yellowstone Guide's Death
First by a Grizzly Since 2018
Apr 20, 2021 6:08 AM CDT
Yellowstone Guide's Death First by a Grizzly Since 2018
Charles "Carl" Mock reportedly suffered stroke days after mauling
- A Montana backcountry guide has died days after he was mauled by large grizzly bear near Yellowstone National Park, becoming the first person killed by a grizzly in the region since 2018. Charles "Carl" Mock of the park gateway community of West Yellowstone was fishing alone along the Madison...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Boy Dies After 'the Most Exciting Moment of His Life'
Woman Dies After a Fall on Southwest Airlines' Jet Bridge
Dances With Wolves Actor Arrested in Sex Cult Case
Prosecutors: Baldwin Was on His Phone During Gun Training
Baby Didn't Have Ticket for Flight. His Parents Left Him Behind
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.