Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Gets Deadlier Still
Aug 30, 2023 9:55 AM CDT
Lake Lanier's 'Deadly Reputation' Gets Deadlier Still
August has seen 2 more drownings at the Georgia lake
- Georgia's Lake Lanier has claimed more victims. FOX 5 reports a 23-year-old who was swimming in the lake Saturday afternoon went under and didn't resurface, prompting a 911 call. Gwinnett Fire's rescue swimmers pulled the body of Edgar Steven Cruz Martinez, 23, from a depth of 10...
World's Lakes Have Lost Water
Equivalent to 17 Lake Meads
May 19, 2023 11:20 AM CDT
World's Lakes Have Lost Water Equivalent to 17 Lake Meads
53% of major lakes and reservoirs have seen major drops since 1990s
- More than half of the world's largest lakes and reservoirs have lost substantial amounts of water—the equivalent of 17 Lake Meads—in recent decades, according to a large-scale study that largely blames climate change and human behavior. While climate change is bringing warmer temperatures that increase evaporation, per...
Snowpack Delivers Rare
Good News to Great Salt Lake
Apr 10, 2023 11:54 AM CDT
Snowpack Delivers Rare Good News to Great Salt Lake
It's 'miraculous,' says one researcher, though long-term prospects are still dicey
- The news about the Great Salt Lake in January was about as grim as it gets: Scientists warned the saltwater lake in Utah might disappear altogether in five years, thanks to a combination of drought and heavy water usage. Now, the author of that same dire warning sounds a little...
Name Now Attached
to Lake Mead Bones
Mar 29, 2023 9:25 AM CDT
Name Now Attached to Lake Mead Bones
Remains found in Callville Bay area belong to 1974 drowning victim Donald Smith: officials
- Skeletal remains found in Lake Mead in October belong to a Las Vegas man who died almost 50 years ago. Donald Smith, identified through DNA analysis, was 39 when he drowned at the national recreation area in April 1974, Clark County officials say, per KLAS . His bones were found in...
3 Men Die on a
Feb 13, 2023 9:50 AM CST
3 Men Die on a Not-So-Frozen Vermont Lake
Officials are now warning people off the ice, perhaps thinner than usual due to warm temps
- Heading out onto frozen Lake Champlain is a popular winter activity among Vermonters, but state officials are now warning people away from the ice after three men died on the lake since last week, reports NPR . Per a report from Vermont State Police, the first man to fall through the...
Bad News on
Great Salt Lake:
'This Is a Crisis'
Jan 9, 2023 12:21 PM CST
Bad News on Great Salt Lake: 'This Is a Crisis'
Researchers say Utah lake could vanish in 5 years if excess water consumption isn't remedied
- Since 2020, Utah's Great Salt Lake has lost about 40 billion gallons of water per year, a consequence of the West's megadrought and too much water consumption. Researchers say that stat shouldn't be ignored: If remedies aren't made, the largest saltwater lake in the Western Hemisphere...
Shipwreck in Norwegian Lake
Could Be From Middle Ages
Dec 13, 2022 12:22 PM CST
Shipwreck in Norwegian Lake Could Be From Middle Ages
More vessels likely to be discovered during sonar scan of Lake Mjosa
- A survey of the biggest lake in Norway has revealed an almost perfectly preserved shipwreck, possibly from the Middle Ages. The 33-foot-long wooden ship is believed to have sunk between the 1300s and 1850 based on signs of a central rudder at what appears to be the ship's stern,...
Day Playing on Icy
Lake Ends in Tragedy
Dec 12, 2022 7:31 AM CST
Day Playing on Icy Lake Ends in Tragedy
3 young boys die, 4th critically injured after they fell through ice in Solihull, England
- Three young boys are dead and one is in critical condition after they fell through the ice on a lake in Solihull, England. At a presser Sunday evening, Richard Stanton of the West Midlands Fire Service said that the department responded around 2:40pm local time that day, along with...
Visitor to Iowa Infected by
'Worst Parasite in the World'
Jul 11, 2022 12:52 PM CDT
Visitor to Iowa Infected by 'Worst Parasite in the World'
Health officials testing lake in Taylor County after Missouri resident infected by brain-eating amoeba
- A lake beach in southwest Iowa has been temporarily shuttered after a visitor from a neighboring state was infected by a rare but dangerous brain-eating amoeba. A Friday release from the Iowa Department of Public Health notes that the beach at Lake of Three Fires State Park is currently off-limits...
After Husband's Suicide, She
Drowned 3 Kids and Herself
Jul 7, 2022 1:19 PM CDT
After Husband's Suicide, She Drowned 3 Kids and Herself
Her father offered to care for the children, but Molly Cheng refused: relative
- After her husband committed suicide, a Minnesota mother decided her only path was a triple murder-suicide that left herself and her three children dead along with him, according to police. Molly Cheng, 23, called 911 around 10:30am Friday to report the death of husband Yee Lee, 27, who was...
Great Salt Lake
Sees a Historic
Jul 6, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
Great Salt Lake Sees a Historic Low, Again
Water level drops to 4,190.1 feet, after it matched 170-year-old record just this past October
- The Great Salt Lake has hit a new historic low for the second time in less than a year as the ongoing megadrought worsened by climate change continues to shrink the largest natural lake west of the Mississippi. The Utah Department of Natural Resources said Monday in a news release...
Lake Search Completes
Family Tragedy in Minnesota
Jul 3, 2022 8:06 AM CDT
Lake Search Completes Family Tragedy in Minnesota
3 young children, parents are dead in suspected murder-suicide
This story has been updated throughout with new developments.
The bodies of three young children and a woman believed to be their mother have been recovered from a Minnesota lake, and authorities say the deaths are being investigated as murder-suicide, per the AP . The body of the children's...
Kmart Clothes a Clue to Body
Found in Barrel at Lake Mead
May 4, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
Kmart Clothes a Clue to Body Found in Barrel at Lake Mead
Police say victim was shot
Police have shared details about the body found inside a barrel that was discovered on the newly exposed bottom of Nevada's Lake Mead, saying the remains belong to a person who'd been shot. Investigators are dating the crime to the late 1970s or early '80s, with...
Says She Floated
on Air Mattress
for 2 Days
Feb 7, 2022 8:33 AM CST
Rescued Woman Says She Floated on Air Mattress for 2 Days
'Connie' was spotted on the shores of Lake Texoma in Oklahoma by crew members on a passing train
- Crew members on a train zipping past an Oklahoma lake were treated to a strange sight last week, and it turned out to be one lucky sighting. KRMG reports that a BNSF Railway train was headed south along Lake Texoma on Thursday when conductor Cristhian Sosa and engineer Justin Luster...
10 Boaters Killed by
Falling Wall of Rock
Jan 10, 2022 12:01 AM CST
10 Boaters Killed by Falling Wall of Rock
Victims were below a cliff face that sheered off above Brazil's Furnas Lake
The cliff collapse in Brazil killed 10 people, only one of whom had been identified by Sunday afternoon, as 68-year-old retiree Julio Borges Antunes. All victims and survivors have now been accounted for, and two people remain hospitalized, the
New York Times
reports. At least 27 others were treated...
Frighteningly Large Goldfish
Turning Up in Minn. Lakes
Jul 13, 2021 8:36 AM CDT
Frighteningly Large Goldfish Turning Up in Minn. Lakes
Minnesota officials are begging the public to stop dumping pet fish, saying they muck up the waters
- Officials in Minnesota say they're finding more giant goldfish in waterways, prompting a plea to citizens to stop illegally dumping their unwanted fish into ponds and lakes. The goldfish, which can grow to the size of a football, compete with native species for food and increase algae in lakes....
Bodies of Water Are
Suing the State of Florida
May 3, 2021 10:50 AM CDT
Bodies of Water Are Suing the State of Florida
Orange County lakes, streams file suit against state, housing developer under 'right of nature' law
- Late last year, voters in Orange County, Fla., pushed through a "rights of nature" law, making it the largest US municipality to do so, per a November release from the Center for Democratic and Environmental Rights. The legislation basically gives rights to rivers, streams, marshes, and lakes throughout the...
Scientists Unravel Mystery
Ailment of Bald Eagles
Mar 26, 2021 11:43 AM CDT
Scientists Unravel Mystery Ailment of Bald Eagles
New study attributes deaths to toxin triggered by bromide
- For the last 25 years, a mysterious ailment has been killing bald eagles in the US and leaving them with holes in their brains. Researchers identified vacuolar myelinopathy (VM), a deadly condition that brings on paralysis, blindness, and seizures in bald eagles and their prey, including fish, turtles, snakes, and...
Weird Coronavirus Find
Turns Up in Lake Water
Sep 30, 2020 5:30 PM CDT
Weird Coronavirus Find Turns Up in Lake Water
A University of Minnesota professor calls it 'very interesting'
- A Minnesota professor has discovered the coronavirus in lake water—apparently the first such such find during the COVID-19 pandemic, the
reports. Richard Melvin of the University of Minnesota Medical School says he stumbled on SARS-CoV-2, which causes COVID-19, in samples culled from eight beaches along Lake Superior...
2 Dead, 6 Possibly Missing
After Planes Collide Over Lake
Jul 6, 2020 7:33 AM CDT
2 Dead, 6 Possibly Missing After Planes Collide Over Lake
It happened Sunday over Idaho's Lake Coeur d'Alene
- Two people are confirmed dead and as many as six others are missing after two planes collided on Sunday afternoon over an Idaho lake, NBC News reports. Per the
, the crash that took place around 2:20pm local time over Lake Coeur d'Alene involved a single-engine Cessna TU206G...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Surfer Hit the Water, Heard 'Crunch, Crunch, Crunch'
'Like Living in a Horror Film' After Minks Escape From Farm
One Republican Comes to Garland's Defense in Hearing
Fetterman Takes On Senate Dress-Code Fury With Boebert Jab
Amazon Driver Dropped the Box. The Snake Struck
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.