Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Woman's 'Death by Stoning'
Sentence Rattles Activists
Jul 13, 2022 1:25 PM CDT
Woman's 'Death by Stoning' Sentence Rattles Activists
It's the first such sentence in Sudan in nearly a decade
- An October military coup in Sudan may have shifted the movement on women's rights there, and not in a good way. A 20-year-old woman arrested in White Nile state last month and charged with adultery has now heard her fate: death by stoning, the first known sentence like it...
Woman Flees Home, Describes
Torture, Rape Over 6 Months
Jun 15, 2022 10:50 AM CDT
Woman Flees Home, Describes Torture, Rape Over 6 Months
Peter McGuire of Chino Hills, Calif., arrested Saturday, is held without bail
- Though a sheriff's deputy responded numerous times to a California home where a young woman was held captive and tortured over six months, help remained elusive until she managed to escape on her own Thursday, according to authorities. The 22-year-old woman, who'd unknowingly moved in with a man...
Tortured Turpin Siblings
Describe 'Hell' They Endured
Nov 10, 2021 12:38 PM CST
Tortured Turpin Siblings Describe 'Hell' They Endured
'I thought I was going to die,' Jordan Turpin tells Diane Sawyer
- Reflecting on her childhood, Jennifer Turpin says "the only word I know to call it is 'hell.'" It's no wonder considering the 32-year-old grew up in what media outlets have dubbed a "house of horrors." Turpin was one of 13 siblings rescued in...
Officers on Gitmo Jury Slam
Torture, Recommend Clemency
Nov 1, 2021 1:25 PM CDT
Officers on Gitmo Jury Slam Torture, Recommend Clemency
They call treatment of Majid Khan 'a stain on the moral fiber of America'
- After a two-day sentencing hearing at Guantanamo Bay, a military jury sentenced former al-Qaeda operative Majid Khan to 26 years Friday—but seven of the eight jurors took the unusual step of writing a letter to a senior official urging clemency. The military officers, who had been required to sentence...
of Abuse at
Oct 29, 2021 2:51 AM CDT
Gitmo Inmate Describes Years of Abuse at CIA Sites
'I thought I was going to die,' Majid Khan says
- A Guantanamo Bay prisoner who went through the brutal US government interrogation program after the 9/11 attacks described it openly for the first time Thursday, saying he was left terrified and hallucinating from techniques that the CIA long sought to keep secret. Majid Khan, a former resident of the Baltimore...
US: Guantanamo Detainee
Is Allowed to Describe Torture
Oct 18, 2021 2:30 PM CDT
US: Guantanamo Detainee Is Allowed to Describe Torture
Poland is investigating Abu Zubaydah's treatment at secret CIA site
- The Biden administration says it will allow a Guantanamo Bay detainee to provide information to Polish officials about his torture in CIA custody following the 9/11 attacks. The decision from the Biden administration was included in a letter government lawyers filed Friday with the Supreme Court. The administration said it...
Cell Check Missed
May 28, 2021 1:34 PM CDT
Cell Check Missed Beheaded Inmate: IG Reports
Guards instead reported both California prisoners were alive
- It must have taken hours to decapitate and dissect the body of Luis Romero in his cell at California's Corcoran State Prison. But the guards, who were supposed to be checking the cells, didn't see anything. In fact, they reported that everyone was fine, according to two reports...
Ghislaine Maxwell's Brother:
Her Conditions Are Torture
Mar 10, 2021 11:05 AM CST
Ghislaine Maxwell's Brother: Her Conditions Are Torture
Says she has access to 'brown' water and 'inedible' food in jail
- The brother of Jeffrey Epstein's former girlfriend Ghislaine Maxwell said Wednesday she should be released on bail from jail and claimed that she was being held in "degrading" conditions that amount to torture. Her brother Ian Maxwell told the BBC Wednesday he was worried about her health and...
In Case of the ISIS
'Beatles,' a Milestone
Oct 7, 2020 10:50 AM CDT
In Case of the ISIS 'Beatles,' a Milestone
El Shafee Elsheikh, Alexanda Kotey are indicted, accused of beheadings, torture of Westerners
- The Justice Department unsealed charges Wednesday against two Islamic State militants from Britain, accusing them of carrying out a gruesome campaign of torture, beheadings, and other acts of violence against Western hostages they'd captured in Syria, including four Americans. El Shafee Elsheikh and Alexanda Kotey are two of four...
in Sea Container
Jul 7, 2020 3:19 PM CDT
Cops Make Disturbing Find in Sea Container
It had been converted into a torture chamber
- Dutch police arrested six men after discovering shipping containers that had been converted into a makeshift prison and sound-proofed "torture chamber" complete with a dentist's chair, and tools including pliers, scalpels, and handcuffs, a high-ranking officer announced Tuesday. Authorities said police conducted the raid before the torture chamber...
Man Gets 7 Life Sentences
for Horrific 3-Week Assault
May 3, 2020 5:25 PM CDT
Man Gets 7 Life Sentences for Horrific 3-Week Assault
Nicholas John Crilley is going away for a long time
- What Nicholas John Crilley did is hard to read about—so if you have any doubt, please stop here. The Australian was sentenced Friday to seven life sentences for torturing, raping, beating, and burning a woman over three unimaginable weeks, 7 News reports. The 34-year-old's attacks left her so...
'I Will Cut Your
Jan 28, 2020 4:33 PM CST
CIA Psychologist: 'I Will Cut Your Son's Throat'
James Mitchell testifies in pre-trial hearing at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba
- First came 183 waterboardings. Then, a threat: Another attack on US soil, and I'll kill your son. That's what CIA psychologist James Mitchell admitted Monday at a pretrial hearing in the case of alleged 9/11 mastermind Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, the
reports. "If there was a...
CIA Psychologists to Face
Jan 20, 2020 2:21 PM CST
CIA Psychologists to Face Waterboarded Defendants
James Mitchell and Bruce Jessen must testify in a pretrial hearing in 9/11 case
- The trial of five men accused of plotting the 9/11 attacks doesn't begin until next year, notes NPR . But a crucial pretrial hearing gets underway this week featuring the two psychologists who designed the harsh interrogation techniques, roundly described as torture, used by the CIA to elicit statements. James...
Assange: I'm 'Slowly Dying'
Jan 1, 2020 5:15 PM CST
Assange: I'm 'Slowly Dying'
Vaughan Smith describes his call with the Wikileaks founder
- Julian Assange says he's "slowly dying" behind bars, where he might be stuck in solitary confinement. British journalist and ex-Army officer Vaughan Smith, a friend of Assange, said as much after talking to the Wikileaks founder: "He said to me, 'I'm slowly dying here,'...
UN Expert: Assange Shows
Signs of 'Psychological Torture'
May 31, 2019 8:18 AM CDT
UN Expert: Assange Shows Signs of 'Psychological Torture'
Nils Melzer argues against his extradition to US
- Julian Assange's human rights might be violated if he's extradited to the US, according to a UN expert who says the WikiLeaks founder "shows all the signs that are typical for person who has prolonged exposure to psychological torture." Nils Melzer, UN special rapporteur on torture,...
Animal Lovers, You
Don't Want to Read This
May 13, 2019 3:48 PM CDT
Animal Lovers, You Don't Want to Read This
Kaine Louzader was arrested and charged with animal abuse
- A Missouri man is accused of torturing, killing, and dismembering at least 12 cats before dumping them around his neighborhood, the
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
reports. Kaine Louzader, 20, allegedly got the cats off Craigslist and took them home for their gruesome final hours. He is said to have stomped on...
Key to Assad's Reign:
Network of Torture Prisons
May 12, 2019 2:44 PM CDT
Key to Assad's Reign: Network of Torture Prisons
'New York Times' looks at the brutality in Syria
- Reports of torture and deaths in Syria's prisons have been surfacing for years, but leader Bashar al-Assad has dismissed them as the exaggerations of opponents or as aberrations that occur in every country during a time of war. The
New York Times
, however, takes a deep dive into the...
Saudis Tortured a US
Mar 3, 2019 11:37 AM CST
Saudis Tortured a US Citizen: Report
Walid Fitaihi is still being held in a Saudi crackdown
- A US citizen has been detained and tortured in Saudi Arabia and may be on his last leg, sources tell the
New York Times
. Walid Fitaihi was apparently held against his will in November 2017 at the Ritz Carlton in Riyadh, where guards blindfolded, stripped, slapped, and bound him, then...
Calif. Parents of 13 Enter
Plea in Torture Case
Feb 23, 2019 8:30 AM CST
Calif. Parents of 13 Enter Plea in Torture Case
It's a guilty plea for David and Louise Turpin
- A new development in the case of David Turpin , 57, and his wife, Louise, the California couple accused of holding their 13 children captive inside their home: a guilty plea on charges including torture, child endangerment, false imprisonment, and others. CNN notes Louise Turpin, 50, could be seen crying as...
El Chapo's Ex-Bodyguard
Gives Graphic Testimony
Jan 25, 2019 7:01 AM CST
El Chapo's Ex-Bodyguard Gives Graphic Testimony
He tells court he saw drug lord kill 3 men
- Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman was the kind of boss who wasn't afraid to pitch in and get his hands bloody, a former bodyguard testified Thursday at the drug lord's trial in New York. In what the BBC describes at the trial's most gruesome testimony yet, Isaias...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
After Key Battlefield Loss, a Big Worry Emerges on Putin
A Shocking Death May Reflect a Disturbing Trend
Soccer Stampede Leaves at Least 125 Dead
Pro-Russia Parties Trounced
It Was Worse Than the Titanic. You Likely Haven't Heard of It
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.