Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
After Their Ride Got
Hit by Space Junk,
3 Are Finally Home
Sep 27, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
After Their Ride Got Hit by Space Junk, 3 Are Finally Home
Astronaut Frank Rubio, 2 cosmonauts return after more than a year in space
- A NASA astronaut and two Russian cosmonauts returned to Earth on Wednesday after being stuck in space for just over a year. As the AP reports, American Frank Rubio set a record for the longest US spaceflight—a result of the extended stay. The trio landed in a remote area...
Russia to Send Rescue Capsule
for Astronauts on ISS
Jan 11, 2023 9:35 AM CST
Russia to Send Rescue Capsule for Astronauts on ISS
Damaged Soyuz means there's only one other 'escape pod,' with just 4 seats for 7 astronauts
- Last month, a Soyuz MS-22 capsule docked at the International Space Station sprang a tiny leak , suspected to be the result of a meteoroid hit. Although Roscosmos, Russia's space agency, said the astronaut and two cosmonauts who flew to the ISS in September in that capsule—American Frank Rubio...
After Safe Trip to
Oct 19, 2022 8:56 AM CDT
After Safe Trip to Space, Cosmonaut Hits Co-Worker With Car
It's advised astronauts not drive for 3 weeks once home; Oleg Artemyev hit victim 19 days after return
- Not even three weeks after he set foot back on Earth, a Russian cosmonaut is having a rough time adjusting back to terra firma. According to the nation's Roscosmos space agency, Oleg Artemyev, who returned from trip No. 3 to the International Space Station at the end of last...
Cosmonauts 'Blindsided' by
Hubbub Over Spacesuits
Apr 6, 2022 6:20 AM CDT
Cosmonauts 'Blindsided' by Hubbub Over Spacesuits
Mark Vande Hei says Russians weren't wearing yellow as statement on Ukraine during ISS arrival
- Last month, three Russian astronauts showed up at the International Space Station sporting bright yellow flight suits with blue accents—Ukraine's colors, leaving some wondering if the cosmonauts were making a statement on Russia's invasion of that country. Wonder no more, because that simply wasn't the case,...
Russian Astronauts Board
ISS Wearing Surprising Outfits
Mar 19, 2022 10:30 AM CDT
Russian Astronauts Board ISS Wearing Surprising Outfits
Were they wearing Ukraine's colors on purpose, or was it a coincidence?
- For the first time since Russia invaded Ukraine last month, a trio of Russian astronauts arrived at the International Space Station. But when the ISS hatch opened to let them in, their appearance raised some eyebrows, reports Space.com . Oleg Artemyev, Denis Matveyev, and Sergey Korsakov blasted off in their...
Space Station After
Mar 18, 2022 5:05 PM CDT
Cosmonauts Reach Space Station After Russian Warning
NASA administrator plays down comment about supplying rocket engines
- A trio of Russian cosmonauts arrived at the International Space Station on Friday, the first new faces in space since the start of the Russian war in Ukraine. Russian space corporation Roscosmos cosmonauts Oleg Artemyev, Denis Matveyev and Sergey Korsakov blasted off successfully from the Russia-leased Baikonur launch facility in...
Crew Making First Movie
in Space Is Now in Orbit
Oct 5, 2021 2:51 PM CDT
Crew Making First Movie in Space Is Now in Orbit
Three cosmonauts will have parts in movie filmed on ISS
- A Russian actress and a film director rocketed to space Tuesday on a mission to make the world’s first movie in orbit , a project the Kremlin said will help burnish the nation’s space glory. Film star Yulia Peresild and director Klim Shipenko blasted off for the International Space...
Unwanted Space Station
Aug 31, 2021 1:09 PM CDT
Unwanted Space Station Discovery: Cracks
'This is bad and suggests that the fissures will begin to spread over time,' says engineer
- The first part of the International Space Station to arrive in space has developed cracks that experts fear are likely to spread. Russian cosmonauts discovered "superficial fissures … in some places on the Zarya module ," a Russian-built, US-funded section of the space station also known as the Functional...
Minutes After Launch, Things
Go Wrong for Astronauts
Oct 11, 2018 6:43 AM CDT
Minutes After Launch, Things Go Wrong for Astronauts
US, Russian astronauts survive emergency landing
- Two astronauts from the US and Russia are safe after an emergency landing Thursday in the steppes of Kazakhstan following the failure of a Russian booster rocket carrying them to the International Space Station. NASA astronaut Nick Hague and Roscosmos' Alexei Ovchinin lifted off as scheduled early Thursday from the...
Moonwalk by 2030
Mar 14, 2012 4:35 PM CDT
Russia Plans Moonwalk by 2030
Leaked documents reveal deadline
- Russia will finally send a human to the moon. At least it's planning to—by 2030, according to a leaked document from Roskosmos, the Russian Space agency. The Russians have intermittently laid forth enthusiastic goals for space exploration in recent years, reports the
, but never with a set...
Crew Emerges From
520-Day Mars 'Flight'
Nov 4, 2011 11:28 AM CDT
Crew Emerges From 520-Day Mars 'Flight'
Mission 'lands' without ever leaving planet
- They’re free—and they don’t appear to have gone crazy. The crew of Russia’s simulated Mars mission has landed, by which we mean, been released from the narrow confines of the “spaceship” they’ve been trapped in for 520 days . The six men, ages 27 to...
Astronauts Break Record
Aug 15, 2011 12:25 PM CDT
Astronauts Break Record for Longest 'Space' Mission
...without actually leaving the planet
- A crew of cosmonauts has broken the record for longest space mission, having spent 438 days in a 12-foot-wide capsule. But they'll also break another record when their mission is up—the record for shortest distance traveled on a space mission—because they've never actually left Moscow in...
A Day Late,
Sep 25, 2010 6:18 AM CDT
A Day Late, Soyuz Lands in Kazakhstan
Despite earlier glitch, landing goes flawlessly
- Russia's Soyuz space capsule safely touched down in a Kazakhstan steppe this morning, reports the AP, landing flawlessly a day after being delayed by an undocking glitch with the International Space Station. "That was almost a bull's-eye landing," said a NASA spokesman as Russian officials swarmed the landing...
'It's In, Thank God':
Astronauts Finish Risky Chore
Jul 10, 2008 5:17 PM CDT
'It's In, Thank God': Astronauts Finish Risky Chore
Pair must retrieve explosive bolt from Soyuz craft
- Two Russian astronauts successfully removed an apparently defective bolt from their Soyuz spacecraft during a risky spacewalk today, the
reports. The bolt itself packed the punch of an explosive firecracker, so the astronauts had to disconnect it, then stuff it into a steel case. "It's in, thank...
Astronauts Will Have to Hitch Rides With
Mar 7, 2008 2:04 PM CST
Astronauts Will Have to Hitch Rides With the Russians
NASA will soon have no way to get to ISS
- When NASA retires its fleet of space shuttles in 2010, the agency will have no way of sending men into space until 2015, at the earliest, the
reports. To carry astronauts and cargo to the International Space Station, largely funded by American taxpayers, the US will have to...
Popular on Newser
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Hollywood Is Going After Lauren Boebert
Texas Woman Whose Baby Won't Survive Goes to Court
A 65-Year-Old Christmas Classic Finally Hits No. 1
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.