Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
'Devil Bird' in New York Shows
a Shift in Migration Patterns
May 8, 2023 3:55 PM CDT
'Devil Bird' in New York Shows a Shift in Migration Patterns
Climate change is opening new areas to Southern bird species
- A bird known as the anhinga, or "devil bird," rarely seen in New York, has taken up residence around Brooklyn's Prospect Park Lake for the past two weeks, reports the
New York Times
. This marks the first ever anhinga sighting in Kings County, and only the second...
Rescued From NYC Lake
Feb 20, 2023 5:11 PM CST
'Lethargic' Alligator Rescued From NYC Lake
Officials believe 4-foot animal is abandoned pet
- A 4-foot-long alligator spotted in a lake in a New York City park Sunday was in "poor condition," officials say, which is not surprising—American alligators aren't generally found in the wild north of North Carolina and the water in Prospect Park Lake would have been far...
'Bling Bishop' Is Facing
Serious Federal Charges
Dec 20, 2022 9:45 AM CST
'Bling Bishop' Is Facing Serious Federal Charges
Lamor Whitehead is accused of swindling a parishioner and other fraud charges
- Over the summer, a Brooklyn bishop made unwanted headlines because he was robbed during a live-streamed service of an estimated $1 million in jewelry. Now Lamor Whitehead is making more unwanted headlines—federal prosecutors charged him with multiple offenses, including swindling a parishioner and extorting a local businessman. Whitehead, known...
'Nightmare' Fire Destroys
30 Years of NYPD Evidence
Dec 15, 2022 11:04 AM CST
'Nightmare' Fire Destroys 30 Years of NYPD Evidence
Forensic evidence in unsolved crimes lost in Tuesday's blaze at Erie Basin Auto Pound
- A New York Police Department warehouse burned Tuesday morning and along with it "the possibility of justice in untold cases," the
New York Times
reports, as "troves of evidence gathered over decades" were damaged or destroyed. The Erie Basin Auto Pound in Brooklyn held impounded vehicles, forensic...
More Clues Emerge in Deaths
of 3 Kids on Coney Island
Sep 14, 2022 7:50 AM CDT
More Clues Emerge in Deaths of 3 Kids on Coney Island
Mother of children found on beach Monday is hospitalized, hasn't been charged
- Three young kids who were found early Monday along the shoreline of Brooklyn's Coney Island all died drowning deaths, and they've been ruled homicides, a spokesperson from New York City's Office of Chief Medical Examiner said on Tuesday. Police say no one has yet been arrested or...
Cops: Mom Likely Drowned
3 Kids at Coney Island Beach
Sep 12, 2022 8:50 AM CDT
Cops: Mom Likely Drowned 3 Kids at Coney Island Beach
A sad scene overnight in Brooklyn
- Three children died after being found on a New York City beach early Monday, and police believe they were drowned by their mother. The children—a 7-year-old boy, a 4-year-old girl, and a 3-month-old boy—were discovered on Brooklyn's Coney Island beach shortly after 3am and taken to a...
Murder Retrial Nears Verdict in
Rule-Breaking Detective's Case
Aug 21, 2022 11:45 AM CDT
Murder Retrial Nears Verdict in Rule-Breaking Detective's Case
Another look at Louis Scarcella's work has resulted in overturned convictions
- In the bloody years when killings peaked in New York City, detective Louis Scarcella built a reputation for closing cases. A second-generation cop who ran marathons, worked a side job at a Coney Island amusement park and jokingly put "adventurer" on his business card, the now-retired sleuth has been...
This Uber Passenger's Ride
Was a Most Unusual One
Aug 20, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
This Uber Passenger's Ride Was a Most Unusual One
Driver Fritz Sam stopped car to help rescue people from Brooklyn house fire
- A Brooklyn writer headed to a conference in Vermont this week just barely made her flight, and she has her Uber driver to blame. But Jemimah James Wei is completely OK with the detour, since it came about because the driver, 54-year-old Fritz Sam, stopped to rush into a burning...
Family: Body at
Face 'Looked Like
It Was Caved In'
Aug 10, 2022 12:29 PM CDT
Family: Body at Wake Reeked, Face 'Looked Like It Was Caved In'
They've filed suit against Brooklyn funeral home over condition of a 37-year-old woman's remains
- What was supposed to be a dignified memorial service for Regina Christophe now has her family suing a New York City funeral home. The 37-year-old died in her sleep on June 24, and her family soon after retained McManus Funeral Home in Brooklyn to prepare her body for the service...
Cops: Bishop Robbed
Jul 25, 2022 6:16 AM CDT
Cops: Bishop Robbed During Live-Stream
High-profile Lamor Whitehead of Brooklyn and wife lost $400K in jewelry, say police
- Those tuning into the live-streamed service of a church in Brooklyn on Sunday got a most unexpected sight. Armed assailants interrupted the sermon of Bishop Lamor Whitehead of the Leaders of Tomorrow International Ministries church, says the NYPD. The robbers got more than a modest collection plate: Police say they...
'Eat the Rich' With Popsicles
Shaped Like Musk, Bezos
Jul 13, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
'Eat the Rich' With Popsicles Shaped Like Musk, Bezos
MSCHF artists collective has ice cream trucks in NYC, LA with the billionaire-shaped treats
- If you're in New York City or Los Angeles on Wednesday and want to work out your angst against capitalism, there's a frozen treat waiting for you, modeled after the world's richest men. Just stop by what's being deemed a "unique art pop-up" by CBS...
Runner Finishes Half-Marathon,
Has Fatal Collapse
May 22, 2022 8:47 AM CDT
Runner Finishes Half-Marathon, Has Fatal Collapse
No cause yet in Brooklyn, where it's been warmer than usual
- A 30-year-old man crossing the finish line of a Brooklyn half-marathon collapsed and died Saturday morning, per the AP . The runner was transported to a nearby hospital where he was pronounced dead, fire department spokesperson Frank Dwyer said. It was unclear what caused the runner to collapse, though a statement...
What We Know About
the NYC Subway Attack
Apr 12, 2022 12:32 PM CDT
What We Know About the NYC Subway Attack
10 people were shot, and assailant is still at large
- Details are clarifying about the rush-hour attack on a New York City subway train Tuesday morning. One big detail: While at least 16 people were injured, none of their injuries are believed to be life-threatening.
Investigators suspect a lone assailant first set off a smoke canister in a
FDNY: 13 Injured in NYC
Apr 12, 2022 9:18 AM CDT
FDNY: 13 Injured in NYC Subway Shooting
Multiple people shot and undetonated devices found, say authorities
(This summary has been updated throughout with new details.)
Five people were shot Tuesday morning at a subway station in Brooklyn, law enforcement sources tell the AP . Fire personnel responding to reports of smoke at the 36th Street station in the Sunset Park neighborhood found multiple people shot and...
'Cruel Act of Violence'
Against LGBTQ Bar in NYC
Apr 7, 2022 8:06 AM CDT
'Cruel Act of Violence' Against LGBTQ Bar in NYC
NYPD: Suspect walked into Brooklyn's Rash Bar, set it ablaze, then fled; 2 injured
- A popular LGBTQ bar in Brooklyn's Bushwick neighborhood is closed for the indefinite future after what the NYPD says was an act of arson over the weekend, but the owners promise to reopen as soon as they can. "It's so hard to believe and process," Rash...
Nanny Hit by
Baby With a Push
Dec 22, 2021 9:45 AM CST
Nanny Hit by Truck Saved Baby With a Push
Arcellie Muschamp of Brooklyn in critical condition after brain surgery
- A nanny shoved a stroller carrying a 1-year-old out of the path of a pickup truck in New York City on Monday before the vehicle slammed into her instead. "The stroller came to a stop on its side against a row of parked cars," feet from 52-year-old mother...
MTA Bigwig: Blowup Doll Isn't
for HOV Lane, It's for 'Company'
Dec 16, 2021 4:35 PM CST
MTA Bigwig: Blowup Doll Isn't for HOV Lane, It's for 'Company'
Giulio Divirgilio tries to explain why he's been driving around with Carpool Kenny
- A manager with New York's Metropolitan Transportation Authority is either very lonely during his commutes or very sneaky. The
New York Post
has several photos it captured Wednesday of Giulio Divirgilio, an ex-NYPD cop and now general superintendent for the MTA's buses division, arriving to work in Brooklyn...
Under Coney Island Boardwalk:
a Bound, Gagged Corpse
Sep 22, 2021 8:02 AM CDT
Under Coney Island Boardwalk: a Bound, Gagged Corpse
Homeless men discovered decomposed body Monday; autopsy is pending
- Three homeless men looking to expand their camp knocked down a makeshift wall under the Coney Island boardwalk on Monday and found a badly decomposed corpse, bound and gagged. Police were called beneath the boardwalk across from Asser Levy Park, where they found remains that were "nearly skeletal, clothed...
After 9-Year-Old Loses Family,
Detectives Chip In
Jun 15, 2021 2:20 PM CDT
After 9-Year-Old Loses Family, Detectives Chip In
Brooklyn girl who hid in closet during triple murder is getting a trip to Disney World
- It's one small grace note after a hard-to-fathom tragedy. Brooklyn detectives have chipped in to send a 9-year-old girl who lost her family in a triple homicide to Disney World, reports the
New York Post
. The murders made national headlines in April because the girl hid in a closet...
Local Home Prices
May 12, 2021 7:45 AM CDT
NYC Mayoral Candidates Wildly Underestimate Local Home Prices
Ex-HUD chief Shaun Donovan, investment banker Ray McGuire miss the mark big time on Brooklyn
- Two candidates for New York City mayor had their Lucille Bluth moment this week after they were both wildly off in their estimate on the cost of local housing. The
New York Times
notes that while neither Shaun Donovan nor Raymond McGuire is considered a frontrunner in the mayoral race,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
One of America's Best-Paid CEOs Abruptly Steps Down
Dallas Mayor Switches Parties
UCLA Pauses Dorm Project Over 'Worrisome' Room Size
Missing Toddler Found in Woods With 2 Furry Protectors
Woman Gets Prison for Giving Abortion Pills to Her Daughter
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.