Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
What Did NPR Reporter's
Friendship With RBG Cost Us?
Sep 25, 2022 5:10 PM CDT
What Did NPR Reporter's Friendship With RBG Cost Us?
Politico essay examines journalist Nina Totenberg's longtime relationship with Supreme Court justice
- Nina Totenberg, a longtime correspondent for NPR, has a new memoir out, and it delves into her storied 40-year relationship with the late Ruth Bader Ginsburg.
Dinners With Ruth
examines Totenberg's conflict as she watched her old friend's health decline in 2020, and on the complexities of being...
NPR's Supreme Court
Story Takes Another Turn
Jan 21, 2022 11:00 AM CST
NPR's Supreme Court Story Takes Another Turn
Reporter Nina Totenberg defends it, rejects public editor's clarification
- The saga over an NPR report on the Supreme Court continues. Veteran reporter Nina Totenberg is dismissing criticism from her outlet's public editor about a story Totenberg wrote about justice Neil Gorsuch's decision to forgo a mask while on the bench. Here's how it has unfolded:
This Is the Way
to Interview Trump
Jan 14, 2022 3:50 PM CST
This Is the Way to Interview Trump
Margaret Sullivan: NPR host wrapped misinformation in truth, until the former president hung up
- Politicians and other newsmakers often are allowed to set the narrative when they're being interviewed, Steve Inskeep says. The NPR host points out that that narrative sometimes is skewed. When he interviewed former President Trump this week , Inskeep tweaked the form, enabling him to keep control of the information...
With NPR Has
Jan 12, 2022 10:15 AM CST
Trump Interview With NPR Has Abrupt End
Former president hangs up as he was being grilled on his false claims of election fraud
host Steven Inskeep nabbed an interview with former President Trump on Tuesday—after six years of trying. "It was scheduled for 15 minutes, but lasted just over nine," NPR reports, noting Trump—who hurled insults at Republican senators, including Mitch McConnell—ended the conversation abruptly...
'If NPR Doesn't See This
as a Crisis, I Don't Know...'
Jan 5, 2022 11:42 AM CST
'If NPR Doesn't See This as a Crisis, I Don't Know...'
Host Audie Cornish is leaving, and Ari Shapiro is worried about exodus of 'marginalized' hosts
- Another name familiar to NPR listeners is leaving, and a colleague suggests a "crisis" is brewing at the outlet. Audie Cornish, the co-host of
All Things Considered
, announced on Twitter that she is joining the pandemic's "Great Resignation" and is "ready to stretch my wings and...
Dies Suddenly at 46
Nov 15, 2021 2:59 AM CST
Beloved NPR Books Editor Dies Suddenly at 46
Petra Mayer died of suspected pulmonary embolism
- Petra Mayer, books editor for National Public Radio, died Saturday of what’s believed to be a pulmonary embolism, the news organization said. She was 46. Mayer is remembered for her reporting at Comic-Con and helping put together NPR’s Book Concierge, an annual interactive guide that filters titles based...
NPR Obtains Tapes of NRA
Discussions After Columbine
Nov 9, 2021 1:32 PM CST
NPR Obtains Tapes of NRA Discussions After Columbine
Top officials wrestle with whether to respond with defiance or sympathy
- School shootings were relatively rare when the Columbine massacre unfolded in 1999, and NPR has obtained two-plus hours of recordings of NRA officials struggling to decide how to respond. The issue was especially dicey because the group's convention was due to take place days later just a few miles...
He Spent a
to the Nation
Aug 12, 2021 12:02 PM CDT
He Spent a Decade Talking to the Nation
Longtime NPR journalist Neal Conan dies of brain cancer at 71
- You may not have recognized his face, but you probably knew his voice . Neal Conan, who hosted the popular NPR show
Talk of the Nation
for 11 years until its 2013 end , died Tuesday at age 71. Conan's son, Connor, revealed the longtime radio journalist died of glioblastoma, a...
NPR Says Radio Ratings
Have Dived During Pandemic
Jul 16, 2020 7:55 AM CDT
NPR Says Radio Ratings Have Dived During Pandemic
Networks says COVID has accelerated changes
- With people stuck at home for months on end and hungry for news, this could have been a golden time for radio—but NPR ratings took a dive this spring as the pandemic stopped people from commuting. Ratings for most of its shows are down by around a quarter year-on-year,...
'Pretty Dire' Situation for NPR
in COVID-19 Climate
Apr 17, 2020 1:59 PM CDT
'Pretty Dire' Situation for NPR in COVID-19 Climate
Nonprofit says it will make major cuts while facing budget deficit
- On Thursday night,
New York Times
media columnist Ben Smith reported on a "pretty dire email" from National Public Radio CEO John Lansing, and the news was dire indeed: The nonprofit media group is being forced to initiate big cost-cutting measures in the wake of a budget deficit that...
Secret on His
Mar 21, 2020 4:30 PM CDT
RuPaul Reveals 'Hypocritical' Secret on His 60K Acres
America's favorite drag queen talks about his property in Wyoming, South Dakota
- RuPaul, the fracking queen? Apparently so. The host of RuPaul's Drag Race let slip in an interview that he's leasing out his massive Wyoming and South Dakota acreage to oil companies, the
reports. In an NPR interview, the revered drag queen corrected host Terry Gross about his...
Pompeo's NPR Feud Continues
With a 'Perfect Message'
Feb 3, 2020 5:05 AM CST
Pompeo's NPR Feud Continues With a 'Perfect Message'
Secretary of state says barring reporter from trip after dust-up with another reporter is appropriate
- After Mike Pompeo berated NPR journalist Mary Louise Kelly last month in an expletive-filled rant for turning a discussion about Iran to Ukraine and ex-US Ambassador Marie Yovanovitch, the State Department took an apparent retaliatory step against one of Kelly's colleagues: Michele Kelemen was barred from the press pool...
Has to Say
Jan 29, 2020 10:13 AM CST
Here's What NPR Host Has to Say About Pompeo
Mary Louise Kelly defends press freedom after spat with secretary of state
- NPR journalist Mary Louise Kelly says she was just doing her job when she asked Secretary of State Mike Pompeo about Ukraine , only to be accused of violating "the basic rules of journalism and decency." "Journalists don't sit down with senior government officials in the service...
Jan 28, 2020 6:32 AM CST
NPR-Pompeo Brouhaha Rolls On
Journalist Michele Kelemen removed from upcoming Pompeo trip in retaliation
- An NPR reporter has been blocked from Mike Pompeo's upcoming trip abroad following the secretary of state's testy exchange with another NPR journalist. The State Department Correspondents' Association confirmed NPR correspondent Michele Kelemen would not travel with Pompeo to the UK, Ukraine, Belarus, Kazakhstan, and Uzbekistan, saying the...
Pompeo's Version of
Testy NPR Interview
Jan 27, 2020 1:51 PM CST
Emails Refute Pompeo's Version of Testy NPR Interview
They show Mary Louise Kelly never agreed to take any topics off the table
- Mike Pompeo says journalist Mary Louise Kelly "lied" to him regarding his Friday interview on NPR's
All Things Considered
, which ended with an expletive-filled tirade after Kelly asked the secretary of state about Ukraine. But emails appear to support Kelly's side of things. While Pompeo said during...
Pompeo: NPR Host 'Lied to Me'
Jan 25, 2020 11:45 AM CST
Pompeo: NPR Host 'Lied to Me'
The Secretary of State reacts to story about his expletive-filled rant
- Mike Pompeo lashed out at an NPR host and "the media" Saturday after making a testy appearance on
All Things Considered, USA Today
The Secretary of State accused the host, Mary Louise Kelly, of lying to him, though he didn't deny unloading on her afterward in an...
When I Asked
Jan 25, 2020 6:15 AM CST
Journalist: Pompeo Flipped Out When I Asked About Ukraine
Mary Louise Kelly says secretary of state 'used the F-word' many times
- Mike Pompeo apparently went off on an expletive-filled rant after an NPR interview didn't go the way he'd planned. Mary Louise Kelly sat down with the secretary of state on
All Things Considered
Friday for an interview that started off discussing Iran (full transcript here ). Things took...
She Had a Routine Throat
Swab. The Bill Was $28K
in case you missed it
Dec 28, 2019 7:30 AM CST
She Had a Routine Throat Swab. The Bill Was $28K
NPR looks at a particularly outrageous medical bill of a Brooklyn woman
- NPR puts the focus on crazy medical bills in its "Bill of the Month" feature, and the latest is a doozy. A Brooklyn woman felt a cold coming on ahead of her vacation and went to the doctor to make sure it wasn't strep. She had a...
Walks Out of
Dec 18, 2019 9:25 AM CST
Adam Driver Walks Out of NPR Interview
Actor apparently really hates to hear himself
is calling it: "2019 was the year of Adam Driver," writes Wei-Huan Chen, noting the Marine-turned-actor "is starring in the best domestic drama of the year (
), the best political docudrama of the year (
), and likely the most popular film of...
Morning Theme Music Is Gone
May 6, 2019 7:32 AM CDT
NPR's 40-Year-Old Morning Theme Music Is Gone
'Morning Edition' debuts updated version
- Anyone who puts NPR on in the morning is surely familiar with the
theme music, because it hasn't changed since the show's debut in 1979. Until Monday, that is, when the show revealed updated music for the first time in 40 years. You can hear its...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Here's What People Are Saying After Biden's State of the Union
Elian Gonzalez Is Making Headlines Again
Romney Had It Out With George Santos at SOTU
After Tyre Nichols' Beating, a Pic Began Making the Rounds
As Quake Toll Surges, More Questions About 1999 Tax
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.