Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
in Surprising Way
Jul 21, 2022 5:55 PM CDT
Art World's 'Indiana Jones' Recovers Relic in Surprising Way
Anonymous person gave to Arthur Brand stolen vials said to hold blood of Christ
- Thieves were inconspicuously locked inside a French church on the evening of June 1. According to police, they burst out the next morning with one of the most cherished Christian relics: two lead vials containing pieces of linen said to be covered in the blood of Jesus Christ—collected in...
Artifact' Found at
Apr 14, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
'Really Amazing Artifact' Found at Jesus' Supposed Crucifixion Site
Medieval altar would've stood at apex of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre
- A medieval altar, apparently long forgotten, has been rediscovered at the supposed site of Jesus Christ's crucifixion. Recent excavations on Jerusalem's Church of the Holy Sepulchre, the site where many Christians believe Jesus was crucified , buried, and resurrected, revealed a large stone slab, "pressed against a wall...
Belonged to One of
the First Christians
Dec 22, 2021 10:10 AM CST
Shipwreck Ring Belonged to One of the First Christians
Ring inscribed with 'Good Shepherd' among Roman-era treasures found off Israel
- A gold ring belonging to one of the first Christians is among the treasures pulled from a Roman-era shipwreck off Israel, researchers say. Also discovered in the wreck off the ancient port of Caesarea is a bronze eagle figurine, bells meant to keep evil spirits at bay, various pottery, and...
Slick Series About Jesus
Upends Crowdfunding Strategy
Nov 30, 2021 9:50 AM CST
Slick Series About Jesus Upends Crowdfunding Strategy
'The Chosen' is breaking new ground on that front, reports the 'Wall Street Journal'
- Like any Hollywood-esque production depicting Jesus' Sermon on the Mount,
needed plenty of extras for the scene. The twist here: In this case, the extras actually paid for the privilege, with most shelling out at least $1,000 each. Welcome to the unusual—and successful—production model of...
Bones Cast 'Rare Flicker
of Light' on Early Christianity
Feb 16, 2021 3:43 PM CST
Bones Cast 'Rare Flicker of Light' on Early Christianity
But they do not belong to St. James the Younger as long thought
- It appears Rome's Santi Apostoli church doesn't have the bones of two of Jesus' 12 apostles after all—but perhaps it does have one. LiveScience reports the church has since the 6th century believed it possessed remains belonging to St. James the Younger and St. Philip. A study...
Netflix Ordered to Pull
Film About Gay Jesus
Jan 9, 2020 9:55 AM CST
Netflix Ordered to Pull Film About Gay Jesus
Brazilian judge says 'freedom of expression ... is not absolute'
- A Brazilian judge has ordered Netflix to remove a film depicting Jesus Christ with a boyfriend.
The First Temptation of Christ
, released as a Christmas special, caused such fury among Brazil's conservative Christians that 2 million signed a petition calling for its removal, while a group lobbed firebombs at...
'Original' Jesus Relic
Arrives in Bethlehem
Nov 30, 2019 4:50 PM CST
'Original' Jesus Relic Arrives in Bethlehem
The pope returns it, 1,400 years later
- A tiny wooden relic that some Christians believe to be part of Jesus' manger arrived Saturday in its permanent home in the biblical city of Bethlehem 1,400 years after it was sent to Rome as a gift to the pope, the AP reports. Sheathed in an ornate case, the...
It Was Hanging
in Her Kitchen.
She Found Out It's
in case you missed it
Sep 28, 2019 7:00 AM CDT
It Was Hanging in Her Kitchen. She Found Out It's Worth Millions
Elderly French woman's 'Christ Mocked' by Renaissance painter Cimabue could go for $6.6M
- An elderly French woman had the painting hanging above a hot plate in her kitchen, thinking it was just an old piece of art. When she finally got curious enough to get it appraised, she found out it was indeed old—and extremely valuable. That's because, per an old-masters...
Dating of Turin Shroud to
Middle Ages Was Flawed
Jul 24, 2019 11:05 AM CDT
Dating of Turin Shroud to Middle Ages Was Flawed
Study offers new hope for believers
- Whether the Shroud of Turin served as Jesus' actual burial cloth has long been debated —and a new study, while not weighing in one way or the other, is likely to keep that debate raging. Researchers reanalyzed data compiled in 1988, when experts at the University of Arizona, Oxford...
Steve King Can Now Relate:
I Get What Jesus Went Through
Apr 24, 2019 9:50 AM CDT
Steve King Can Now Relate: I Get What Jesus Went Through
Iowa congressman compared House censure for racist remarks to what Christ endured
- If there's anyone who can relate to what Jesus went through, it's ... Steve King? Definitely, according to Steve King. Per Politico and CNN , the GOP Iowa congressman— recently censured by his colleagues in the House and stripped of committee assignments for racist remarks—attended a town hall Tuesday...
'New' Da Vinci Work Is Unveiled
Mar 10, 2019 3:38 PM CDT
'New' Da Vinci Work Is Unveiled
It's called 'The Virgin with the Laughing Child'
- A smile, a laugh, a few folds, and presto—you have the only existing sculpture by Leonardo da Vinci. That's pretty much the takeaway after
The Virgin with the Laughing Child
was presented this week at an exhibition in Florence, NPR reports. An Italian academic and a Leonardo scholar...
2nd Coming of
Go Over Well
Feb 20, 2019 2:34 PM CST
Comic About 2nd Coming of Jesus Doesn't Go Over Well
DC Comics cancels plans for 'Second Coming' after backlash
- Picture this: Jesus Christ returns for his prophesied second coming, and ends up a superhero's sidekick so that he can carry out his "most holy mission by God" and "learn what it takes to be the true messiah." If that sounds like an entertaining romp to...
Dec 13, 2018 8:56 AM CST
LDS Church Supporters Cry 'Blasphemy' Over
Promo looks strikingly like painting of Jesus commissioned by the church
Once Upon a Deadpool
opened nationwide Wednesday, and while it's earning tepid reviews , its promo poster is drawing more heated reaction. Who's hot about it: supporters of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which boasts a painting that looks to be the inspiration for the
Jesus Christ Writes to Oprah
Mar 18, 2018 6:33 AM CDT
Jesus Christ Writes to Oprah
Jesus Christ of Maine, that is
- A letter from Jesus Christ might be the affirmation Oprah Winfrey needs to run for the presidency, reports the AP . An 83-year-old Maine woman who changed her name to Jesus Christ says she began a letter writing campaign 50 years ago to spread a message of faith and peace, WGME-TV...
Restorers Surprised by What
They Found in Jesus' Butt
Dec 6, 2017 2:26 PM CST
Restorers Surprised by What They Found in Jesus' Butt
Statue's posterior contains 240-year-old time capsule
- It turns out Jesus' butt has a lot to teach us about life in 18th century Spain. A wooden statue of Jesus on the cross hanging in the Church of Santa Agueda in Sotillo de la Ribera, Spain, was old and in need of fixing up, Science Alert reports. According...
Rare Copy of Forbidden
Text on Jesus Found
Dec 1, 2017 6:43 AM CST
Rare Copy of Forbidden Text on Jesus Found
Written centuries after the First Apocalypse of James was excluded from New Testament
- A complete copy of a heretical biblical text that purports to describe conversations between Jesus and his brother James has been discovered in its earliest known form. The forbidden writing, dubbed the First Apocalypse of James, wasn't included in the 27-book New Testament established in 367. It was one...
Tests Back Up Claims About
Purported Tomb of Jesus
Nov 28, 2017 2:15 PM CST
Tests Back Up Claims About Purported Tomb of Jesus
Old mortar at Church of the Holy Sepulchre goes back to AD 345
- Millions of people flock to Jerusalem's Church of the Holy Sepulchre each year. Many believe it to house the tomb of Jesus Christ, though scientists have thus far been unable to date the tomb to the time when the Romans built a church around it. Now, however, a new...
Parents Say They Spotted
Jesus in Daughter's Sonogram
Aug 25, 2017 9:39 AM CDT
Parents Say They Spotted Jesus in Daughter's Sonogram
Pa. couple marvel at ultrasound photo that shows image that looks like son of God
- We've seen Jesus on an apple , Jesus on a power utility pole , and now, out of Pennsylvania ... Jesus in a sonogram. WPMT reports that a couple there whose older two children were born with birth defects found comfort in the ultrasound for their third, which showed not only the...
Detroit Just Saw
3 Brides Unlike
Any It Has
Jun 29, 2017 11:17 AM CDT
Detroit Just Saw 3 Brides Unlike Any It Has Ever Seen
They married Jesus as consecrated virgins
- All that debate about Jesus having a wife can now be squashed: He has not one, but three new brides, all from the Detroit area. In a first for the Archdiocese of Detroit, Theresa Jordan, Karen Ervin, and Laurie Malashanko became what the
terms "brides of Christ"...
Scientists Issue Dire
Warning on Christ's Tomb
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Mar 26, 2017 10:41 AM CDT
Scientists Issue Dire Warning on Christ's Tomb
There could be a 'catastrophic' collapse if structural issues aren't remedied
- Few places are more holy to Christians than what's thought to be Christ's tomb in Jerusalem, but scientists are now warning that there's a "very real risk" of collapse at the site. Researchers from the National Technical University of Athens say the Edicule, a shrine that...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Oxford Dictionary Picks Its Word of the Year
What We Know About the Power Station Sabotage in NC
Jury Hears Suspect Describe Killing 4 Sex Workers
For Flyers in Europe, No More 'Airplane Mode'
82-Year-Old Arrested Over Her Unpaid $77 Trash Bill
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.