Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Portugal's PM Quits After
Chief of Staff Arrested
Nov 7, 2023 5:46 PM CST
Portugal's PM Quits After Chief of Staff Arrested
Antonio Costa says he's not a crook
- Portuguese Prime Minister Antonio Costa resigned Tuesday after his government was involved in a widespread corruption probe, sending a shock wave through the normally tranquil politics of the European Union member. The 62-year-old Costa, Portugal's Socialist leader since 2015, asserted his innocence but said in a nationally televised address...
FBI Investigates Alleged
Illegal Donations to NYC Mayor
Nov 3, 2023 9:56 AM CDT
FBI Investigates Alleged Illegal Donations to NYC Mayor
Investigation centers on alleged ties between Eric Adams' 2021 campaign and Turkey
- The home of New York City Mayor Eric Adams' chief fundraiser was raided Thursday as part of a public corruption probe seeking to determine whether the mayor's 2021 election campaign conspired with Turkey's government to receive illegal foreign donations, according to the
New York Times
. A search warrant...
Ohio Official Spent
Public Funds on $4K
Wildebeest for Own Zoo
Apr 21, 2023 12:25 PM CDT
Ohio Official Spent Public Funds on $4K Wildebeest for Own Zoo
Township fiscal officer was sentenced to almost 5 years, ordered to repay $340K
- A crooked official in Ohio spent hundreds of thousands of dollars in public funds on personal purchases including a $4,116 wildebeest for his roadside zoo, according to a state audit. Former Vinton Township fiscal officer Cy Viestra also bought "two owls, windows for a primate exhibit ... hot tubs,...
Former Michigan House
Speaker Guilty of Corruption
Apr 7, 2023 8:46 AM CDT
Former Michigan House Speaker Guilty of Corruption
Rick Johnson admits taking bribes while chair of marijuana licensing board
- In Michigan, the smell of legal marijuana came with the stench of corruption, according to federal investigators. Rick Johnson, former speaker of the Michigan House and former chairman of the Michigan Marijuana Licensing Board, has been charged with taking more than $110,000 in bribes connected to marijuana licenses, Politico...
26 Years Ago, She Stole $600K
and Fled. Now, an Arrest
Jan 20, 2023 1:52 PM CST
26 Years Ago, She Stole $600K and Fled. Now, an Arrest
Ex-bank teller who got plastic surgery before going on the run is captured in China
- Even plastic surgery to help hide her identity couldn't keep persistent authorities from finally tracking down a bank teller who stole hundreds of thousands of dollars from her employer more than 25 years ago. Vice reports on the story out of China, which starts in 1997 in Yueqing. At...
Aung San Suu Kyi Hears Her
Fate in Latest Corruption Trial
Dec 30, 2022 7:19 AM CST
Aung San Suu Kyi Hears Her Fate in Latest Corruption Trial
Ex-Myanmar leader convicted, hit with 7-year sentence, bringing her total to 33 years
- A court in military-ruled Myanmar convicted the country's ousted leader Aung San Suu Kyi of corruption Friday, sentencing her to seven years in prison in the last of a string of criminal cases against her, a legal official said. The court's action leaves her with a total of...
DEA's Most Corrupt
Agent: I Didn't Act Alone
Nov 27, 2022 4:40 PM CST
DEA's Most Corrupt Agent: I Didn't Act Alone
Jose Irizarry on how he turned the 'unwinnable' drug war into 'a very fun game'
- José Irizarry accepts that he's known as the most corrupt agent in Drug Enforcement Administration history, admitting he "became another man" in conspiring with Colombian cartels to build a lavish lifestyle of expensive sports cars, Tiffany jewels, and paramours around the world. But as he used his final...
'Despicable' Former Judges
Ordered to Pay Victims $206M
Aug 17, 2022 2:15 PM CDT
'Despicable' Former Judges Ordered to Pay Victims $206M
Pennsylvania judges received kickbacks for sending children to for-profit jails
- Two former Pennsylvania judges who orchestrated a scheme to send children to for-profit jails in exchange for kickbacks were ordered to pay more than $200 million to hundreds of people they victimized in one of the worst judicial scandals in US history. US District Judge Christopher Conner awarded $106 million...
5G Giant Ericsson 'Uninvestible,'
Riddled With Corruption
Mar 6, 2022 2:50 PM CST
5G Giant Ericsson 'Uninvestible,' Riddled With Corruption
Report: Corruption, fraud, and gross mismanagement risked employee lives
- In 2014, as ISIS was at the height of its power in Iraq, Swedish telecom giant Ericsson forged ahead with development of its 5G infrastructure in the region. In the process, it was likely stuffing cash into the pockets of ISIS militants. A leaked internal investigation report obtained by the...
Feds: Hawaii Lawmakers Took
Dirty Money for Cesspool Bills
Feb 9, 2022 6:45 PM CST
Feds: Hawaii Lawmakers Took Dirty Money for Cesspool Bills
Both men expected to plead guilty to taking bribes
- A Hawaii state senator and a state representative took bribes including envelopes of cash, Las Vegas hotel rooms, and New Orleans casino chips in exchange for shaping legislation that would benefit a company involved in publicly financed cesspool conversion projects, according to federal allegations filed in court. Former Senate Majority...
Boss Gets 30 Years
Nov 26, 2021 6:27 AM CST
Brazil's Ex-Olympic Boss Gets 30 Years
Former Rio governor among others sentenced to jail for corruption
- Carlos Arthur Nuzman, the head of the Brazilian Olympic Committee for more than two decades, was sentenced to 30 years and 11 months in jail for allegedly buying votes for Rio de Janeiro to host the 2016 Olympics. The ruling by Judge Marcelo Bretas became public Thursday, per the AP...
His Case Helped
Oust a President.
Now He's Free
Aug 13, 2021 7:13 AM CDT
His Case Helped Oust a President. Now He's Free on Parole
Samsung's Lee Jae-yong out of prison after 18 months of 30-month sentence
- Samsung leader Lee Jae-yong walked out of prison Friday a year early, in a parole decision showing the conglomerate's outsize influence in South Korea. Lee left the prison near Seoul to a barrage of camera flashes and bowed in apology over the anger ignited by his case, related to...
Aug 3, 2021 10:25 AM CDT
Convicted Governor Sues Illinois
Rod Blagojevich wants the right to run for office again
- This time, Rod Blagojevich is taking Illinois to court. The former governor, who served eight years in prison on corruption convictions before his sentence was commuted by former President Trump, filed a federal lawsuit Monday to regain the right to run for elective office, the
reports. That required...
He Once Ruled South Africa.
Now, a Prison Sentence
Jun 29, 2021 6:39 AM CDT
He Once Ruled South Africa. Now, a Prison Sentence
High court finds Jacob Zuma in contempt of court in corruption case, gives him 15 months in jail
- Jacob Zuma's legal problems just worsened. Last month, the former president of South Africa pleaded not guilty to corruption, fraud, and other charges tied to a multibillion-dollar arms deal in 1999, when he was the deputy president. On Tuesday, the Constitutional Court of South Africa, the nation's highest...
Restaurant Staff Arrested After
Refusing Police Burger Demand
Jun 16, 2021 2:32 PM CDT
Restaurant Staff Arrested After Refusing Police Burger Demand
9 officers in Pakistan have now been suspended
- A burger restaurant in Pakistan is being praised for taking a stand against corrupt cops. Gohar Iqbal, chief executive of the Johnny & Jugnu chain, says the full on-shift staff of one of its three Lahore restaurants was arrested after refusing to give free burgers to a group of police...
Nearly Half of New
US COVID Cases
Are in Just 5 States
Apr 7, 2021 1:44 PM CDT
Nearly Half of New US COVID Cases Are in Just 5 States
That would be New York, Michigan, Florida, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey
- Nearly half of new coronavirus infections nationwide are in just five states—a situation that's putting pressure on the federal government to consider changing how it distributes vaccines. New York, Michigan, Florida, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey together reported 44% of the nation's new COVID-19 infections, or nearly 197,...
France's Nicolas Sarkozy
Receives Jail Sentence
Mar 1, 2021 7:25 AM CST
France's Nicolas Sarkozy Receives Jail Sentence
Former president gets one year, but he can request to serve home confinement
- A Paris court on Monday found former French President Nicolas Sarkozy guilty of corruption and influence peddling and sentenced him to one year in prison and a two-year suspended sentence, per the AP . The 66-year-old politician, who was president from 2007 to 2012, was convicted for having tried to illegally...
3 Years of Freedom Are Over
Jan 18, 2021 8:17 AM CST
Samsung Billionaire's 3 Years of Freedom Are Over
Lee Jae-yong's retrial in S. Korea corruption scandal earns him 2.5 years more in prison
- Billionaire Samsung scion Lee Jae-yong was sent back to prison on Monday after a South Korean court handed him a 2.5-year sentence for his involvement in a 2016 corruption scandal that spurred massive protests and ousted South Korea's then-president. In a much-anticipated retrial, the Seoul High Court found...
After Scandals, Pope Revamps
Vatican's Finance Intel Unit
Dec 5, 2020 8:30 AM CST
After Scandals, Pope Revamps Vatican's Finance Intel Unit
It's part of pontiff's efforts to prevent and counter 'money laundering and the financing of terrorism'
- Pope Francis has revamped the Holy See's financial intelligence and anti-money-laundering unit following financial scandals, including an ongoing in-house corruption probe, Vatican officials said Saturday. The changes involve the governance and organization of the unit, which has been renamed the Supervisory and Financial Information Authority, or ASIF, the Vatican...
Money' in His
Oct 17, 2020 10:00 AM CDT
Senator Had 'Stacks of Money' in His Underwear, Police Say
Sen. Chico Rodrigues finds himself suspended in Brazil
- A Brazilian lawmaker stepped down from his position representing President Jair Bolsonaro's government and was suspended from the senate, after police searched his house and found cash inside the underwear he was wearing, the AP reports. Federal police targeted Roraima state's Sen. Chico Rodrigues as part of a...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Dr Pepper's Tuition Toss Was a Lot More Exciting Than Usual
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.