Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Police Chief Balks
Sep 9, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Albuquerque Police Chief Balks at Governor's Emergency Order
After shootings, New Mexico's Michelle Lujan Grisham suspends open, concealed carry in city
- New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham on Friday issued an emergency order suspending the right to carry firearms in public across Albuquerque and the surrounding county for at least 30 days after a spate of gun violence. The Democratic governor said she expects legal challenges but was compelled to act...
US' Top Doc:
We Need to 'Pull
Back the Curtain'
on This Risk
May 2, 2023 8:39 AM CDT
US' Top Doc: We Need to 'Pull Back the Curtain' on This Risk
Surgeon General Vivek Murthy says widespread loneliness can be as risky to health as smoking
- Widespread loneliness in the US poses health risks as deadly as smoking a dozen cigarettes daily, costing the health industry billions of dollars annually, the US surgeon general said Tuesday in declaring the latest public health epidemic. About half of US adults say they've experienced loneliness, Dr. Vivek Murthy...
Apr 4, 2023 11:46 AM CDT
10 Healthiest, Unhealthiest Cities
San Francisco comes in at No. 1
- It appears that residents of San Francisco have some new bragging rights. An assessment at WalletHub ranks the city as the healthiest in the US, with Brownsville, Texas, bringing up the rear. The outlet crunched data from more than 180 metro areas on dozens of related factors: the percentage of...
Popular Pipe Fix Appears
to Be Making People Sick
Apr 2, 2023 10:35 AM CDT
Popular Pipe Fix Appears to Be Making People Sick
'USA Today' investigates cured-in-place pipe repairs and their noxious fumes
- As a way to repair buried pipelines, the idea is ingenious. Instead of digging up a street, for example, a crew can instead use a contraption that feeds a resin liner into the damaged water or sewer line. It gets inflated with air, then cured to harden with steam, and,...
'This Is Not Medical
Treatment. This Is Abuse'
Feb 19, 2023 5:15 PM CST
'This Is Not Medical Treatment. This Is Abuse'
ProPublica looks into allegations of improper ties between hospital, medical device company
- The texts are not the sort you'd expect from someone watching a serious medical procedure. "Just used 12 [drug-coated balloons]!!" an employee of the world's largest medical device company, Medtronic, wrote to a colleague. "Does that mean I owe u $$," came the response....
to End on May 11
Jan 30, 2023 5:55 PM CST
COVID Emergencies to End on May 11
Patients will have to pay more drug, treatment costs
- President Biden informed Congress on Monday that he will end the twin national emergencies for addressing COVID-19 on May 11, as most of the world has returned closer to normalcy nearly three years after they were first declared. The move to end the national emergency and public health emergency declarations...
Sep 21, 2022 8:08 AM CDT
Panel: Most Adults Should Get Screened for Anxiety
Recommendation for all adults under 65 comes after pandemic toll on Americans' mental health
- In April, the US Preventive Services Task Force recommended health screenings for kids and teens ages 8 to 18. Now, the independent panel of experts is making that same call for all adults under the age of 65, in what HealthDay News notes is a nod to the fact that...
'Sounds the Alarm'
Jul 29, 2022 6:21 AM CDT
San Francisco 'Sounds the Alarm' on Monkeypox
California city, NY state declare public health emergencies
- Two of the US areas that have been hardest hit by monkeypox have declared public health emergencies in response to the outbreak . San Francisco on Thursday declared a local emergency effective Aug. 1, while the state of New York declared an imminent threat to public health, retroactive to June 1....
Patient Struggling With Heat,
Asthma Gets Climate Diagnosis
Nov 9, 2021 6:09 PM CST
Patient Struggling With Heat, Asthma Gets Climate Diagnosis
ER doc in Canada may be first to put that on a chart
- A doctor in Canada named climate change as the cause of his patient’s asthma. Kyle Merritt, an emergency room doctor in Nelson, British Columbia, made the diagnosis after a record-setting heatwave in the province last year that killed hundreds in the US and Canada . Merritt’s patient is a...
Syphilis Is Killing Babies.
It Absolutely Shouldn't
Nov 7, 2021 10:55 AM CST
Syphilis Is Killing Babies. It Absolutely Shouldn't
ProPublica looks at the public health care challenges of the problem
- Nobody wants the Treponema pallidum bacteria in their body. Which is to say, nobody wants syphilis. A story at ProPublica focuses on one particular aspect of the STD—infections of pregnant women. The bacteria can easily penetrate the placenta, with disastrous consequences. There's a 40% chance the baby will...
This Is the Safest City
in the Whole Country
Oct 5, 2021 2:30 PM CDT
This Is the Safest City in the Whole Country
WalletHub ranked 182 US cities based on community, financial safety
- If you have a deep fear of natural disasters, avoid Oklahoma City , which was ranked the worst US city for such disasters in a new report by WalletHub . On the natural-disaster front, Dover, Delaware, emerged as the safest, but not the safest overall. WalletHub used data from the Census Bureau,...
Illinois Man Who
Dies of Rabies
Sep 29, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
Illinois Man Who Refused Treatment Dies of Rabies
Thomas Krob reportedly awoke last month to find a bat on his neck
- Illinois' first human case of rabies in 67 years turned into a fatal one. An elderly Lake County resident who awoke in mid-August to find a bat on his neck has died of the disease after declining medical treatment, according to the Illinois Department of Public Health. The man—identified...
As One Health Crisis Begins
to Lift, Another Replaces It
May 8, 2021 11:30 AM CDT
As One Health Crisis Begins to Lift, Another Replaces It
ProPublica reports undiagnosed cancers are up because of pandemic-related delays in screening
- The deaths and illnesses won't be attributed to COVID-19. Not directly, at least. But as Duaa Eldeib writes for ProPublica , the pandemic has led to a secondary health crisis—a spike in the diagnosis in advanced cancer cases. In regard to COVID, "it's as if a violent...
Apr 9, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
CDC Move Marks New Strategy on Racism
Director deems it a 'serious public health threat,' takes steps to combat it
- The coronavirus pandemic has been at the top of everyone's mind for more than a year, and the focus of infectious disease experts around the world. But the CDC says there's another major issue plaguing the US, and its director is now calling attention to it. "Racism...
COVID Messaging Should
Become Brutally Honest
Dec 7, 2020 4:27 PM CST
COVID Messaging Should Become Brutally Honest
Painful antismoking ads of the past could be a model
- So far, public health messages asking Americans to take steps to slow the spread of the coronavirus have been hopeful, calm, and often reassuring. They've appealed to common sense, our appreciation of scientific evidence, and our concern for one another. That approach hasn't worked. Those campaigns should instead...
Nov 30, 2020 2:51 PM CST
Warnings or Not, Millions Flew Over Holiday
Air travel was down from last year but higher than health experts wanted
- Nearly 1.2 million people passed through US airports Sunday, the largest number since the pandemic gripped the country in March, despite pleas from health experts for Americans to stay home over Thanksgiving. The Transportation Security Administration screened at least 1 million people on four of the last 10 days...
You Won't Be Seeing This Kind
of Ad on Facebook Anymore
Oct 14, 2020 7:55 AM CDT
You Won't Be Seeing This Kind of Ad on Facebook Anymore
Social media giant bans anti-vaccination ads
- First Facebook banned political ads after the polls close on Nov. 3. Now the social media giant is targeting an entirely different set of promotions: anti-vaccination ads, which will no longer be allowed on the platform, the
reports. "We don't want these ads on our platform,"...
Experts Halve Recommended
Alcohol Limit for Men
Jul 16, 2020 4:12 AM CDT
Experts Halve Recommended Alcohol Limit for Men
It's now 1 drink a day, same as for women
- If you decide to have an alcoholic drink, limiting yourself to one a day is best—whether you’re a man or woman. That’s the new advice experts are recommending for the US Dietary Guidelines for Americans, which are scheduled to be updated later this year for the first...
Official Advice for Dutch
Singles: Find a 'Seksbuddy'
May 15, 2020 12:28 PM CDT
Official Advice for Dutch Singles: Find a 'Seksbuddy'
National Institute for Public Health updates its pandemic advice
- The Netherlands' public health institute is suggesting that singles safely seek out a "seksbuddy" amid the coronavirus pandemic. Yep, that means exactly what it sounds like. The institute came under fire for its initial recommendation that home visitors, up to a maximum of three, stay at least five feet...
CDC May Change
Advice on Face Coverings
Mar 31, 2020 11:27 AM CDT
CDC May Change Advice on Face Coverings
DIY masks are becoming more popular
- Last month, the surgeon general issued an all-caps plea to Americans: "STOP BUYING MASKS!" But as the coronavirus outbreak worsens, a more nuanced debate is unfolding about whether Americans should be wearing masks, or some type of face covering, in public. Nobody is suggesting that people wear surgical...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
One of McHenry's First Acts: Ordering Pelosi to Vacate Office
Everyone Is Talking About Pamela Anderson's Face
COVID-19 Vaccination Cards Are No More
House Votes 216-210 to Oust McCarthy
'There Has to Be Consequences' for Kevin McCarthy's Ouster
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.