Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read the latest news and reports of shark attacks on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
Good Samaritans Save
California Shark Attack Victim
Jun 23, 2022 12:17 PM CDT
Good Samaritans Save California Shark Attack Victim
Nurse, police officer were paddleboarding when they heard cries for help
- A swimmer was seriously injured in a rare shark attack off California's central coast Wednesday—but he survived with the help of paddleboarders who rushed to the rescue. Officials say the man was attacked just after 10:30am at Lovers Point Beach in Pacific Grove, Monterey County, NBC News...
Shark Attack Was
So Brutal It Lost a Tooth
Mar 30, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
Shark Attack Was So Brutal It Lost a Tooth
Great white carried out fatal Dec. 24 assault on Tomas Butterfield in Morro Bay, Calif.
- A California bodyboarder killed on Christmas Eve met a great white shark, who left huge bite marks and a tooth behind, according to an autopsy report. Tomas Abraham Butterfield, 42, of Sacramento left his mother's home in Morro Bay, which he was visiting for the holidays, to head to...
Shark Kills Tourist in Caribbean
Snorkeling Hot Spot
Mar 22, 2022 8:08 AM CDT
Shark Kills Tourist in Caribbean Snorkeling Hot Spot
Italy's Antonio Roseto Degli Abruzzi was swimming off the coast of Colombia's island of San Andres
- Colombia reported zero shark attacks off its coast in 2021, but that luck didn't extend very far into 2022. CBS News reports that an Italian tourist, identified by local media as 56-year-old Antonio Roseto Degli Abruzzi, was swimming Friday in the Caribbean, near a cliff off the island of...
Victim of Brutal
Feb 17, 2022 7:55 AM CST
Victim of Brutal Shark Attack Is Identified
It was the first fatal attack in Sydney, Australia, since 1963
The victim of Sydney's first fatal shark attack in nearly 60 years has been identified as 35-year-old diving instructor Simon Nellist. ABC notes Nellist's "social media is filled with underwater pictures, showing him as an avid ocean lover." It's thought Nellist, who the BBC...
The Decrease in
Shark Bites Is Over
Jan 25, 2022 4:50 PM CST
The Decrease in Shark Bites Is Over
Number of unprovoked shark attacks returned to normal levels in 2021
- Shark attacks increased around the world in 2021 following three consecutive years of decline, though beach closures in 2020 caused by the COVID-19 pandemic could be making the numbers seem more dramatic than they are, officials said Monday. Researchers with the International Shark Attack File recorded 73 unprovoked incidents last...
Nov 8, 2021 1:34 AM CST
Fatal Double Shark Attack Reported
Authorities have not yet confirmed 2 sharks were involved
- A father of two was killed while swimming in Australia on Saturday morning when he was attacked by at least one, but possibly two, sharks at Port Beach, North Fremantle, off the coast of Western Australia. Paul Millachip, 57, who lived in Perth after having moved from London, is believed...
Calif. Surfer 'Still in Disbelief
I'm Alive' After Shark Attack
Oct 8, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
Calif. Surfer 'Still in Disbelief I'm Alive' After Shark Attack
Great white clamped down on Eric Steinley's left leg, damaging artery
Two surgeries later, Eric Steinley is "still in disbelief that I'm alive" after coming face to face with a great white shark. The surfer says he was dragged underwater Sunday at California's Salmon Creek Beach when a great white confirmed to be at least 10 feet...
Photographer Catches Moment
Shark Took a Bite Out of Teen
Sep 18, 2021 12:45 PM CDT
Photographer Catches Moment Shark Took a Bite Out of Teen
Former surfer was shooting from the beach and caught whole incident on video
- Conditions were perfect for surfing at New Smyrna Beach in Florida, thanks to big waves from Hurricane Larry. Conditions were perfect for hungry sharks, too, however—thanks to mullet and other fish hanging out at the sandbars where waves were breaking, per CNN . Venturing into this perfect storm was 16-year-old...
Surfer Killed by 'Significant'
Injury in Shark Attack
Sep 6, 2021 7:37 AM CDT
Surfer Killed by 'Significant' Injury in Shark Attack
Australian man believed in his 20s was out on Father's Day weekend
- A surfer suffered a "significant" arm injury after being attacked by a shark over Australia's Father's Day weekend, reports CNN , in the country's only such attack since May. Four crews responded to help the man, believed to be in his 20s, at the scene at Emerald...
Was Ripped Apart by a Shark
Jun 24, 2021 10:05 AM CDT
Prehistoric Hunter-Gatherer Was Ripped Apart by a Shark
Researchers: Earliest known evidence of shark attack on a person identified in Japan
- Three millennia ago, a hunter-gatherer ventured to Japan's inland sea in search of a meal. He then became one himself. Researchers believe this Neolithic man, found buried in the Tsukumo Shell-mound cemetery site near the Seto Inland Sea, is the earliest known victim of a shark attack on a...
Shark Attack Victim
Tried 'to Warn Others'
May 18, 2021 10:00 AM CDT
Shark Attack Victim Tried 'to Warn Others'
Australia victim is first in country since November
- A surfer was killed by a shark on Tuesday off the east coast of Australia, police said. The man, said to be in his 50s, had been surfing off Forster, 190 miles north of Sydney, when he was attacked late in the morning, a police statement said. Onlookers pulled the...
a Shark Attack
May 15, 2021 4:55 PM CDT
Surviving a Shark Attack Is Terrifying— and Lonely
'Outside Online' looks at one man's attack, and how it led him to Bite Club
- What's it like being attacked by a shark? Not many people know, which is the point of Haley Cohen Gilliland's lengthy piece for
. She begins by tracking the attack Alex Wilton survived in March 2019 off Mexico's Pacific coast as a way of introducing the...
6 Years After Shark Attack,
Man Who Lost Leg
Allowed to Keep Tooth
May 4, 2021 4:49 PM CDT
6 Years After Shark Attack, Man Who Lost Leg Allowed to Keep Tooth
Australian authorities decided to make an exception
- Under South Australian state law, great white sharks are a protected species and it is illegal to possess any part of them—but authorities decided to make an exception for a surfer who argued that since a shark got his leg, he should be allowed to keep its tooth. Chris...
Boy's First Beach Trip
Ends in 'Horror Film Gore'
Mar 24, 2021 11:37 AM CDT
Boy's First Beach Trip Ends in 'Horror Film Gore'
Family says 9-year-old Jay Weiskopf was attacked by shark off Miami Beach
- "A shark tried to eat me at the ocean." That's 9-year-old Jay Weiskopf's description of what happened over the weekend during a family vacation in South Florida. Fox News reports that Jay, who has autism, was swimming in shallow water on the Miami Beach shoreline when...
Shark Attack Numbers in
2020 Were All Over the Place
Jan 25, 2021 3:02 PM CST
Shark Attack Numbers in 2020 Were All Over the Place
Attacks were low, but deaths were high
- It's an ominous story with a couple of caveats. The organization that tracks shark attacks around the planet announced on Monday that 2020 was "an unusually deadly year," with 10 fatalities resulting from unprovoked attacks. That's well up from the two logged by the International Shark...
Teen Killed in Rare Fatal
Shark Attack in New Zealand
Jan 8, 2021 1:31 PM CST
Teen Killed in Rare Fatal Shark Attack in New Zealand
- A young woman has died in what is thought to be New Zealand's first fatal shark attack since 2013. Kaelah Marlow, 19, was swimming with friends at Waihi Beach on North Island on Thursday when she was attacked by what one onlooker described as a great white shark, reports...
Man Comes Home
'Bleeding to Death'
After Shark Attack
Dec 18, 2020 8:20 AM CST
Man Comes Home 'Bleeding to Death' After Shark Attack
911 caller said Florida 39-year-old was 'bleeding to death'
- A Florida shark attack victim was apparently "bleeding to death" after walking out of the water and back to his house on Tuesday. A woman at the home called 911 to report that a man had been bitten on his arm and hand while swimming off Siesta Key. She...
Surfer Dies After
Hawaii Shark Attack
Dec 11, 2020 10:18 AM CST
Surfer Dies After Hawaii Shark Attack
56-year-old man died in hospital after surgery
- A Hawaiian surfer has died after a shark attack in West Maui, in which the shark took a massive bite out of the man's surfboard. Robin Warren, 56, had paddled out into Honolua Bay when he was attacked just before 8am Tuesday, per Hawaii News Now . He was taken...
Man Explains What
Great-White Attack Felt Like
Dec 8, 2020 5:08 PM CST
Man Explains What Great-White Attack Felt Like
Surfer had to paddle to shore then walk 1K feet for help
- Dion Lynch says it felt like "being hit by a truck." ABC reports he was sitting on his board in the waters off Kangaroo Island, and turned to the left to see what had barreled into him—and saw the shark as it let go. It was a...
'What on Earth Is Going On'
With Australia's Shark Attacks?
Nov 25, 2020 8:49 AM CST
'What on Earth Is Going On' With Australia's Shark Attacks?
The year's 8 fatalities thus far is most since 1929
- "What on earth is going on?" That's the question shark experts have been asking about Australia, which on Sunday suffered its 8th fatal shark attack . The only deadlier year on record was 1929 and its nine shark-related deaths. And most years don't come close, with the annual...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Roberts: The Court Didn't Need to Do This
In His Roe Opinion, Thomas Flags Same-Sex Marriage
Supreme Court Overturns Roe v. Wade
Rittenhouse to Pay for Lawsuits With Shooter Video Game
Cops: Vince Carter's Wife, Kids Hid During Burglary
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.