Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
UVa Shooting Victim Spoke to
Mom Minutes Before Death
Dec 15, 2022 8:46 AM CST
UVa Shooting Victim Spoke to Mom Minutes Before Death
Happy Perry, mother of D'Sean Perry, says his death could have been prevented
- Happy Perry had just gotten off the phone with her son when the University of Virginia football player was shot dead. D'Sean Perry was one of three students killed on a bus after returning to campus from a field trip to Washington, DC, last month. A fellow student on...
Campus Police Had Report
About UVa Shooting Suspect
Nov 14, 2022 4:59 PM CST
Campus Police Had Report About UVa Shooting Suspect
Christopher Darnell Jones was also named in a concealed weapon case, chief says
- The University of Virginia student held in the killings of three students and wounding of two had been the subject of a recent investigation, campus police said. The student affairs office interviewed the suspect's roommate after the school's threat assessment team received a report in September that Christopher...
3 UVa Football Players
Killed; Suspect in Custody
Nov 14, 2022 11:03 AM CST
3 UVa Football Players Killed; Suspect in Custody
2 other players survived, and the suspected shooter is in custody
- The suspected gunman in a shooting at the University of Virginia that claimed three lives Sunday night is in custody. All three victims were members of the school's football team, reports the
, which identifies them as wide receiver Devin Chandler, linebacker D'Sean Perry, and wide receiver...
3 Dead at UVa as Police
Search for 22-Year-Old
Nov 14, 2022 6:59 AM CST
3 Dead at UVa as Police Search for 22-Year-Old
At least 2 more are injured, and classes are canceled
- Three people are dead and two others injured after a campus shooting Sunday night at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville, reports the local
. Police say the suspected gunman is still at large, and they have identified him as 22-year-old student Christopher Darnell Jones. Jones was on the...
Ex-Student Shoots Professor
at University of Arizona: Cops
Oct 6, 2022 8:57 AM CDT
Ex-Student Shoots Professor at University of Arizona: Cops
Murad Dervish suspected of killing hydrologist Dr. Thomas Meixner; motive is unclear
- A professor in the University of Arizona's Department of Hydrology was shot and killed on campus Wednesday by an individual police identified as a former student. Police initially received a call for help in removing the suspect from the campus' John W. Harshbarger building, home to the Department of...
2 Officers Shot Dead
at Virginia College
Feb 1, 2022 8:26 PM CST
2 Officers Shot Dead at Virginia College
Bridgewater shooting suspect Alexander Campbell is in custody
- "This is a sad and dark day for Bridgewater College," David Bushman, the college's president, said in an email to students, faculty, and staff after two campus officers were fatally shot on Tuesday. Police say that after a "massive search operation, the suspected gunman was taken...
51 Years Later, Jackson State
Grads Get an Apology
May 16, 2021 3:58 PM CDT
51 Years Later, Jackson State Grads Get an Apology
Mayor addresses 1970 shooting by police on campus that left 2 dead
- The mayor of Mississippi's capital city and a state senator both apologized Saturday for shootings 51 years ago by city and state police officers that killed two people and injured 12 others on the campus of a historically Black college. Jackson Mayor Chokwe Antar Lumumba and state Sen. Hillman...
2 Dead, 1 Injured
in Texas A&M Shooting
Feb 3, 2020 1:38 PM CST
2 Dead, 1 Injured in Texas A&M Shooting
Took place in residence hall on campus in Commerce
- A second fatal shooting of the day is making national headlines. The latest occurred in a residence hall at Texas A&M University-Commerce, where two people were killed and a third injured, reports ABC News . Few details were immediately available, including whether a suspect was in custody, reports WFAA . The...
Students Report Freshman Who
Was Planning a Shooting: Police
Aug 29, 2019 4:16 PM CDT
Students Report Freshman Who Was Planning a Shooting: Police
He reportedly intended a campus attack by Christmas
- College students in North Carolina heeded the "see something, say something" plea this week, and their decision might have averted a mass shooting. Paul Steber's classmates at High Point University reported that he had guns in his dorm room. Campus security searched it, finding a 9mm semiautomatic pistol,...
Suspect Is Named
May 1, 2019 3:19 AM CDT
22-Year-Old UNC Shooting Suspect Is Named
Police say shooter opened fire in campus building, killing 2
- Police have identified the suspect in a fatal campus shooting as a 22-year-old man. Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police issued a statement late Tuesday identifying the suspect as Trystan Andrew Terrell. They say he's in custody with charges pending. Authorities say he used a pistol to open fire on students in a...
Sorority Apologizes for
Triggering Shooter Alert
Mar 26, 2019 12:59 AM CDT
Sorority Apologizes for Triggering Shooter Alert
They popped balloons during vigil for NZ victims
- A University of Michigan sorority whose members popped balloons as part of a team-building event has apologized for triggering an "active shooter" alert on campus. The balloon popping occurred March 16, at the same time a vigil was being held nearby for victims of the New Zealand mosque attacks...
2 Dead in Shooting
on College Campus
Dec 13, 2017 5:39 PM CST
2 Dead in Shooting on College Campus
Police say it was a murder-suicide involving Penn State employee, estranged husband
- Two people are dead in what Pennsylvania State Police say was a murder-suicide on a college campus Wednesday, KDKA reports. Police say a female employee at Penn State Beaver was convinced to come outside by her estranged husband, who shot her in a parking lot outside a campus dining hall....
Then Gunfire at
a La. College
Oct 25, 2017 2:03 AM CDT
An Altercation, Then Gunfire at a La. College
Shooter flees after killing 2 on Grambling State campus
- A sheriff's spokesman says two people have been fatally shot on the campus of Louisiana's Grambling State University, and the shooter fled the scene, per the AP . A Lincoln Parish Sheriff's spokesman says detectives are at the scene of the double homicide, assisting campus police. Grambling State...
Cops: Student Shot,
Oct 10, 2017 12:55 AM CDT
Cops: Student Shot, Killed Campus Officer After Welfare Check
Texas Tech shooting sparked lockdown, manhunt
- A Texas Tech freshman is in custody after the fatal shooting of a campus police officer sparked a manhunt and a lockdown of the Lubbock campus that lasted more than an hour. Police say Hollis Daniels, a 19-year-old man who lived on campus, was arrested near Lubbock Municipal Coliseum at...
Police: 2 Dead in Suspected
Murder-Suicide at College
May 3, 2017 2:08 PM CDT
Police: 2 Dead in Suspected Murder-Suicide at College
'I saw him shooting her three times,' witness says
- Two people died Wednesday in an apparent murder-suicide at a Texas community college, prompting an active-shooter alert that instructed students and employees to barricade themselves into rooms, the AP reports. It was the second deadly attack on a Texas campus this week. Irving police spokesperson James McLellan said it doesn'...
9 Injured, Suspect Dead
in Ohio State Attack
Nov 28, 2016 11:44 AM CST
9 Injured, Suspect Dead in Ohio State Attack
Shelter-in-place warning has been lifted
- At least nine people were injured on the campus of Ohio State University in Columbus Monday in what was initially labeled an "active shooter" situation, reports the
. A suspect is dead, and the school has since sounded the all-clear. "Shelter in Place lifted," reads an...
1 Killed, 3 Hurt
State U Shooting
Oct 23, 2015 2:28 AM CDT
1 Killed, 3 Hurt in Tennessee State U Shooting
Dispute began over a dice game, police say
- One man was killed and three women were wounded in an on-campus shooting stemming from a fight over a dice game on the campus of Tennessee State University in Nashville, police said Friday. The 19-year-old who died in the Thursday night shooting wasn't enrolled at the school, police spokesman...
2 Detained in Fatal Texas University Shooting
Oct 9, 2015 4:48 PM CDT
2 Detained in Fatal Texas University Shooting
1 dead, 1 wounded at Texas Southern University
- A student was killed and another person was wounded in a shooting outside a Texas Southern University student-housing complex on Friday, and police detained at least two people for questioning, authorities said. The university quickly went on lockdown after the shooting was reported around 11:30am in a parking lot...
on Arizona Campus
Oct 9, 2015 9:16 AM CDT
Freshman in Custody After Deadly Shooting on Arizona Campus
One student at Northern Arizona University is dead and 3 wounded
- An overnight shooting at Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff has left one student dead and three others wounded. A freshman is in custody, and the school tweeted that the "situation is stabilized," with no lockdown in effect. Authorities say the shooting took place as a confrontation between two...
Gunman Killed After
Opening Fire in
Nov 20, 2014 5:40 AM CST
Gunman Killed After Opening Fire in FSU Library
3 wounded in library shooting
- Florida State University police fatally shot a gunman at the campus library early today in a shooting that left three students wounded as hundreds studying inside fled or took cover in panic. According to university newspaper
, the gunman opened fire around 12:30am on the first floor of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
On Roe v. Wade, Federal Judge Sees a 'Loophole'
After a Drowning, Amusement Park Ride Closes for Good
Days After 'Dead' Woman Was Found Alive, a New Incident
One Quirk in Couples Health Study Is a Surprise
Shots Fired as Intruder Breaches Home of Air Force One
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.