Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Divided Libyans Seek
Unity in Flood's Wake
Sep 18, 2023 6:00 PM CDT
Divided Libyans Seek Unity in Flood's Wake
Disaster's pain has been felt around the country, one man says
- Zahra el-Gerbi wasn't expecting much of a response to her online fundraiser, but she felt she had to do something after four of her relatives died in the flooding that decimated the eastern Libyan city of Derna. She put out a call for donations for those displaced by the...
In Libya, a 'Graphic
and Harrowing Situation'
Sep 14, 2023 5:38 AM CDT
In Libya, a 'Graphic and Harrowing Situation'
Mayor of city devastated by flooding says there is an urgent need for body bags
- Officials and rescue workers in Derna, the Libyan city devastated by flooding, say body bags and recovery teams are urgently needed to avoid an epidemic. Mayor Abdulmenam al-Ghaithi said Wednesday that the death toll could reach 20,000, Al Jazeera reports. Some bodies have been buried in mass graves but...
In Derna, Bodies in the Sea,
Others in Mass Graves
Sep 13, 2023 8:42 AM CDT
In Derna, Bodies in the Sea, Others in Mass Graves
Death toll in wake of storm Daniel stands at 5.3K
- The "sea is constantly dumping dozens of bodies," said a government official of the scene in Derna, Libya, where one estimate now puts the number of potential dead at up to 20,000, reports the
Wall Street Journal
gives a lower estimate of 6,000, though...
More Than 5K
in Libya Floods
Sep 12, 2023 6:38 PM CDT
More Than 5K Feared Dead in Libya Floods
Entire neighborhoods were washed away in Derna
- Emergency workers uncovered more than 1,500 bodies in the wreckage of Libya's eastern city of Derna on Tuesday, and it was feared the toll could surpass 5,000 after floodwaters smashed through dams and washed away entire neighborhoods of the city, the AP reports. Outside help was only...
Mar 16, 2023 6:15 PM CDT
Missing Uranium Reported Found
Libyan National Army says it located the 2½ tons of ore near Chad border
- A stash of missing uranium ore reportedly has been found in eastern Libya. Ten drums were located near the border with Chad, the media unit for the armed forces said, per the BBC . The International Atomic Energy Agency said it was trying to corroborate the Libyan National Army report, which...
Family: Lockerbie Suspect's
Extradition Was Illegal
Dec 15, 2022 3:10 AM CST
Family: Lockerbie Suspect's Extradition Was Illegal
Libya is opening a probe
- Libya's chief prosecutor on Wednesday said that he had opened an investigation into the extradition of a Libyan national accused of making the bomb that downed Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland, in 1988, to the United States, the AP reports. US authorities announced they had arrested former...
Man Who Allegedly
Made Lockerbie Bomb
Won't Face Death Penalty
Dec 13, 2022 1:24 AM CST
Man Who Allegedly Made Lockerbie Bomb Won't Face Death Penalty
Abu Agela Mas’ud Kheir Al-Marimi is in US custody
- The suspect in the 1988 Lockerbie bombing who is now in US custody will not face the death penalty. Abu Agela Mas’ud Kheir Al-Marimi appeared in court Monday, but proceedings were delayed until he gets legal representation, so he did not enter any plea, the BBC reports. He rejected...
Libyan Presidential Candidate
Has a Familiar Name
Nov 15, 2021 9:35 AM CST
Libyan Presidential Candidate Has a Familiar Name
Son of Gadhafi announces his candidacy for president
- The son and one-time heir apparent of Libyan dictator Moammar Gadhafi has announced his candidacy for the country's presidential election next month, per the AP . Seif al-Islam Gadhafi, who's wanted by the International Criminal Court on charges of crimes against humanity, submitted his candidacy papers in the southern...
World May Not Have Seen
the Last of the Gadhafis
Aug 2, 2021 4:25 PM CDT
World May Not Have Seen the Last of the Gadhafis
New York Times reporter tracks down son Seif, who is plotting a return to power in Libya
- A decade ago, the world appeared to be rid of the Gadhafi clan of Libya. Longtime leader Moammar had been ousted and killed during the Arab Spring uprising, and three of his sons were dead as well. Another son, Seif al-Islam Gadhafi—his father's presumed successor—was captured by...
Libyan Official Survives
Feb 21, 2021 1:50 PM CST
Libyan Official Survives 'Attempted Assassination'
Gunmen ambushed Fathi Bashagha’s motorcade
- The interior minister of Libya’s UN-backed government survived an ambush by gunmen on his motorcade on Sunday, the AP reports, a brazen attack highlighting the towering challenges that remain for the newly appointed government that is trying to unite the country before elections late this year. Armed men opened...
Erik Prince Violated
Arms Embargo: UN Report
Feb 20, 2021 10:41 AM CST
Erik Prince Violated Arms Embargo: UN Report
The former Blackwater head may face sanctions
- United Nations investigators say that the former head of private security contractor Blackwater Worldwide violated a UN arms embargo by sending mercenaries to Libya to fight on behalf of a militia leader there, the Hill reports. The
New York Times
obtained a confidential report that details how Erik Prince sent...
32 Years Later, New Charges
to Come in Lockerbie Attack
Dec 16, 2020 5:04 PM CST
32 Years Later, New Charges to Come in Lockerbie Attack
Abu Agila Mohammad Masud is the suspected bombmaker
- New charges are expected to be unsealed in coming days in connection to the 1988 bombing of Pan Am flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland, the
New York Times
reports. US prosecutors are expected to seek the extradition of Abu Agila Mohammad Masud, a Libyan suspected of making the explosive that...
Airstrike Kills Dozens
at Migrant Detention
Center in Libya
Jul 3, 2019 12:03 AM CDT
Airstrike Kills Dozens at Migrant Detention Center in Libya
Tripoli government blames rebel forces
- An airstrike hit a detention center for migrants early Wednesday in the Libyan capital, killing at least 40 people, a health official in the country's UN-supported government said. The airstrike targeting the detention center in Tripoli's Tajoura neighborhood also wounded 80 migrants, said Malek Merset, a spokesman for...
'Unpredictable' Situation Spurs
US to Make Move in Libya
Apr 8, 2019 5:59 AM CDT
'Unpredictable' Situation Spurs US to Make Move in Libya
US temporarily withdraws troops as fighting gets closer to capital
- The United States has temporarily withdrawn some of its forces from Libya due to "security conditions on the ground," a top military official said Sunday as a Libyan commander's forces advanced toward the capital of Tripoli and clashed with rival militias. A small contingent of American troops...
Trump: Kim Jong Un Could
Suffer Same Fate as Gadhafi
May 18, 2018 1:37 AM CDT
Trump: Kim Jong Un Could Suffer Same Fate as Gadhafi
But that's only if there's no deal, he says
- President Trump and national security adviser John Bolton are apparently not on the same page when it comes to the "Libya model"—and the confusion led to what was seen as a stern threat to North Korea Thursday. When asked about Bolton's suggestion that the 2003 Libya...
Cleared of Murder Charge
Nov 29, 2017 12:10 AM CST
Benghazi 'Mastermind' Cleared of Murder Charge
But Khattala could get life for other convictions
- A Libyan militant was convicted Tuesday of terrorism charges stemming from the 2012 Benghazi attacks that killed the US ambassador and three other Americans. But a federal jury found him not guilty of murder, the most serious charge associated with the rampage he was accused of orchestrating. The attack became...
26 Bodies Found
Floating in Sea.
All Were Teen Girls
Nov 7, 2017 7:21 AM CST
26 Bodies Found Floating in Sea. All Were Teen Girls
Their remains were brought ashore in Salerno, Italy
- They were mostly between the ages of 14 and 18, and 26 of them are now dead. CNN reports on the latest tragedy in the Mediterranean Sea and describes an appalling scene: teenage girls' bodies floating lifelessly beside a nearly submerged rubber dinghy that survivors tried to cling to. The...
5 Years After Attack,
SEALs Bust Benghazi Suspect
Oct 31, 2017 7:01 AM CDT
5 Years After Attack, SEALs Bust Benghazi Suspect
Libyan national is headed to federal court in DC
- US special operations forces captured a militant in Libya accused of playing an instrumental role in the Benghazi attacks in a high-stakes operation designed to bring the perpetrators to justice five years later, reports the AP . President Trump on Monday identified the militant as Mustafa al-Imam and said his capture...
GOP Lawmaker Deletes
Instagram Pic After Outcry
Jul 4, 2017 2:16 PM CDT
GOP Lawmaker Deletes Instagram Pic After Outcry
Sign in photo read: 'Hillary for US Ambassador to Libya'
- A Republican congressman from Virginia has deleted an Instagram photo that many felt wished harm on Hillary Clinton, CNN reports. The photo showed Rep. Dave Brat with a constituent who was holding a sign reading "Hillary for US Ambassador to Libya." The photo was captioned: "Sign says...
Gadhafi Son Is
Jun 11, 2017 6:03 AM CDT
Gadhafi Son Is Released, Vanishes
Onetime heir-apparent Seif al-Islam was held since late 2011
- Seif al-Islam, the son and one-time heir apparent of late Libyan dictator Moammar Gadhafi, has been released after more than five years in detention, his captors said on Saturday. A statement by his captors, the Abu Bakr al-Siddiq Battalion, said Seif al-Islam was released on Friday, but gave no details...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
'80s Power Ballad Bands Are Going On Tour Together
Actor Hit Big With Love Story
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
High School Killer Gets Life
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.