Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Libyan Presidential Candidate
Has a Familiar Name
Nov 15, 2021 9:35 AM CST
Libyan Presidential Candidate Has a Familiar Name
Son of Gadhafi announces his candidacy for president
- The son and one-time heir apparent of Libyan dictator Moammar Gadhafi has announced his candidacy for the country's presidential election next month, per the AP . Seif al-Islam Gadhafi, who's wanted by the International Criminal Court on charges of crimes against humanity, submitted his candidacy papers in the southern...
World May Not Have Seen
the Last of the Gadhafis
Aug 2, 2021 4:25 PM CDT
World May Not Have Seen the Last of the Gadhafis
New York Times reporter tracks down son Seif, who is plotting a return to power in Libya
- A decade ago, the world appeared to be rid of the Gadhafi clan of Libya. Longtime leader Moammar had been ousted and killed during the Arab Spring uprising, and three of his sons were dead as well. Another son, Seif al-Islam Gadhafi—his father's presumed successor—was captured by...
Libyan Official Survives
Feb 21, 2021 1:50 PM CST
Libyan Official Survives 'Attempted Assassination'
Gunmen ambushed Fathi Bashagha’s motorcade
- The interior minister of Libya’s UN-backed government survived an ambush by gunmen on his motorcade on Sunday, the AP reports, a brazen attack highlighting the towering challenges that remain for the newly appointed government that is trying to unite the country before elections late this year. Armed men opened...
Erik Prince Violated
Arms Embargo: UN Report
Feb 20, 2021 10:41 AM CST
Erik Prince Violated Arms Embargo: UN Report
The former Blackwater head may face sanctions
- United Nations investigators say that the former head of private security contractor Blackwater Worldwide violated a UN arms embargo by sending mercenaries to Libya to fight on behalf of a militia leader there, the Hill reports. The
New York Times
obtained a confidential report that details how Erik Prince sent...
32 Years Later, New Charges
to Come in Lockerbie Attack
Dec 16, 2020 5:04 PM CST
32 Years Later, New Charges to Come in Lockerbie Attack
Abu Agila Mohammad Masud is the suspected bombmaker
- New charges are expected to be unsealed in coming days in connection to the 1988 bombing of Pan Am flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland, the
New York Times
reports. US prosecutors are expected to seek the extradition of Abu Agila Mohammad Masud, a Libyan suspected of making the explosive that...
Airstrike Kills Dozens
at Migrant Detention
Center in Libya
Jul 3, 2019 12:03 AM CDT
Airstrike Kills Dozens at Migrant Detention Center in Libya
Tripoli government blames rebel forces
- An airstrike hit a detention center for migrants early Wednesday in the Libyan capital, killing at least 40 people, a health official in the country's UN-supported government said. The airstrike targeting the detention center in Tripoli's Tajoura neighborhood also wounded 80 migrants, said Malek Merset, a spokesman for...
'Unpredictable' Situation Spurs
US to Make Move in Libya
Apr 8, 2019 5:59 AM CDT
'Unpredictable' Situation Spurs US to Make Move in Libya
US temporarily withdraws troops as fighting gets closer to capital
- The United States has temporarily withdrawn some of its forces from Libya due to "security conditions on the ground," a top military official said Sunday as a Libyan commander's forces advanced toward the capital of Tripoli and clashed with rival militias. A small contingent of American troops...
Trump: Kim Jong Un Could
Suffer Same Fate as Gadhafi
May 18, 2018 1:37 AM CDT
Trump: Kim Jong Un Could Suffer Same Fate as Gadhafi
But that's only if there's no deal, he says
- President Trump and national security adviser John Bolton are apparently not on the same page when it comes to the "Libya model"—and the confusion led to what was seen as a stern threat to North Korea Thursday. When asked about Bolton's suggestion that the 2003 Libya...
Cleared of Murder Charge
Nov 29, 2017 12:10 AM CST
Benghazi 'Mastermind' Cleared of Murder Charge
But Khattala could get life for other convictions
- A Libyan militant was convicted Tuesday of terrorism charges stemming from the 2012 Benghazi attacks that killed the US ambassador and three other Americans. But a federal jury found him not guilty of murder, the most serious charge associated with the rampage he was accused of orchestrating. The attack became...
26 Bodies Found
Floating in Sea.
All Were Teen Girls
Nov 7, 2017 7:21 AM CST
26 Bodies Found Floating in Sea. All Were Teen Girls
Their remains were brought ashore in Salerno, Italy
- They were mostly between the ages of 14 and 18, and 26 of them are now dead. CNN reports on the latest tragedy in the Mediterranean Sea and describes an appalling scene: teenage girls' bodies floating lifelessly beside a nearly submerged rubber dinghy that survivors tried to cling to. The...
5 Years After Attack,
SEALs Bust Benghazi Suspect
Oct 31, 2017 7:01 AM CDT
5 Years After Attack, SEALs Bust Benghazi Suspect
Libyan national is headed to federal court in DC
- US special operations forces captured a militant in Libya accused of playing an instrumental role in the Benghazi attacks in a high-stakes operation designed to bring the perpetrators to justice five years later, reports the AP . President Trump on Monday identified the militant as Mustafa al-Imam and said his capture...
GOP Lawmaker Deletes
Instagram Pic After Outcry
Jul 4, 2017 2:16 PM CDT
GOP Lawmaker Deletes Instagram Pic After Outcry
Sign in photo read: 'Hillary for US Ambassador to Libya'
- A Republican congressman from Virginia has deleted an Instagram photo that many felt wished harm on Hillary Clinton, CNN reports. The photo showed Rep. Dave Brat with a constituent who was holding a sign reading "Hillary for US Ambassador to Libya." The photo was captioned: "Sign says...
Gadhafi Son Is
Jun 11, 2017 6:03 AM CDT
Gadhafi Son Is Released, Vanishes
Onetime heir-apparent Seif al-Islam was held since late 2011
- Seif al-Islam, the son and one-time heir apparent of late Libyan dictator Moammar Gadhafi, has been released after more than five years in detention, his captors said on Saturday. A statement by his captors, the Abu Bakr al-Siddiq Battalion, said Seif al-Islam was released on Friday, but gave no details...
Executions Reported in Deadly
Attack on Libyan Airbase
May 20, 2017 9:55 AM CDT
Executions Reported in Deadly Attack on Libyan Airbase
The base was held by soldiers opposed to the UN-backed Libyan government
- An official in Libya says at least 140 people—including civilians—were killed in a strike on the Brak al-Shati airbase, more than doubling the original count from the attack Thursday, the BBC reports. According to the
, the base was attacked by the Third Force militia, which is loyal...
Scores of Bodies
Wash Ashore in Libya
Feb 21, 2017 7:03 AM CST
Scores of Bodies Wash Ashore in Libya
Libyan Red Crescent recovered the migrants' bodies Tuesday
- Scores of bodies of African migrants washed ashore in Libya, in the western city of Zawiya on the Mediterranean Sea, a spokesman for the Libyan Red Crescent says. The drownings—at least 74 bodies were found in Zawiya—are the latest tragedy at sea after migrant deaths rose to record...
All Passengers Freed
From Hijacked Plane
Dec 23, 2016 9:12 AM CST
All Passengers Freed From Hijacked Plane
Ordeal on tarmac in Malta is over
- A hijacking drama unfolded on an airport tarmac in Malta Friday, but it ended without violence. It began when two hijackers commandeered an aircraft carrying 118 people in the skies over Libya and diverted it to the Mediterranean island, reports Reuters . Claiming to have a hand grenade, the hijackers threatened...
Havoc in Libya
Nov 21, 2016 7:33 AM CST
Monkey Blamed for Deadly Havoc in Libya
An attack on a schoolgirl, then 4 days of violence that have left dozens dead, wounded
- Three young men turned a pet monkey loose on a schoolgirl, they were then killed in revenge, and now, after four days of violence, nearly two dozen are dead (numbers cited are between 16 and 20 so far) and 50 wounded in a conflict-ridden Libyan city, health officials and activists...
UN: Survivors Report 240 Dead
in 2 Mediterranean Shipwrecks
Nov 3, 2016 1:58 PM CDT
UN: Survivors Report 240 Dead in 2 Mediterranean Shipwrecks
More than 4,200 migrants have died in the Mediterranean this year
- Survivors say as many as 240 people have died in two shipwrecks off Libya, a UN refugee agency reported Thursday, bringing this year's toll to more than 4,220 migrants dead or missing in risky Mediterranean Sea crossings, the highest count on record. A spokesperson for UNHCR says 31...
90 Feared Dead in
Disaster Off Libya
Oct 28, 2016 12:05 AM CDT
90 Feared Dead in Disaster Off Libya
Migrants' boat fell apart in international waters
- The Libyan navy says at least 90 migrants are believed to have perished Thursday when their rickety boat started to fall apart in the Mediterranean Sea after leaving the Libyan coast. The boat, which was made of rubber, tore and began filling with water about 26 miles off the Libyan...
No Photo Exists of World's
Most Wanted Migrant Smuggler
Oct 3, 2016 7:00 PM CDT
No Photo Exists of World's Most Wanted Migrant Smuggler
Guess that means he's pretty good at his job
- German outlet
has published an in-depth investigative piece on the sprawling network that's bringing illegal African migrants across the Mediterranean and into Europe. Focusing on the operation of one man targeted by Italian and Libyan authorities, the paper traces the long, dangerous path migrants must cross before...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Anne Heche's Final Autopsy Results Released
Polygamous Leader Had 'Wives' as Young as 9: FBI
What Sleeping With a Weighted Blanket Does to Your Brain
Germany Uncovers Alleged Coup Plot Involving Aristocrat
Midshipmen Take Prank Tradition to New Heights
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.