Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
In 'Texas' Gift to the
Nation,' a Big Ol' Mess
Jun 21, 2023 8:45 AM CDT
In 'Texas' Gift to the Nation,' a Big Ol' Mess
Park rangers remind public to clean up after photos show Big Bend National Park strewn with trash
- On Saturday, rangers at Big Bend National Park, affectionately dubbed "Texas' Gift to the Nation," didn't find any gifts on a trail near the park's Panther Junction Visitor Center. Instead, the
reports that they discovered piles of plastic bags, chip containers, soft drink cups,...
Retirement Change Wins Vote
Despite Protests, Garbage Piles
Mar 12, 2023 1:55 PM CDT
Retirement Change Wins Vote Despite Protests, Garbage Piles
French Senate approves raising age from 62 to 64
- A widely unpopular bill that would raise the retirement age in France from 62 to 64 has pushed forward with the Senate's adoption of the measure despite labor strikes, street protests, and tons of uncollected garbage piling higher by the day. Prime Minister Elisabeth Borne tweeted late Saturday after...
That's an Appliance
Floating in This River
Jan 29, 2023 3:55 PM CST
That's an Appliance Floating in This River
Sections of one Balkan river have become a floating garbage dump
- Tons of waste dumped in poorly regulated riverside landfills or directly into waterways that flow across three countries end up turning a section of one Balkan river into a floating garbage dump. Bosnia's Drina River runs 215 miles from the mountains of northwestern Montenegro through Serbia and Bosnia. Some...
82-Year-Old Arrested Over
Her Unpaid $77 Trash Bill
Dec 5, 2022 9:14 AM CST
82-Year-Old Arrested Over Her Unpaid $77 Trash Bill
Martha Menefield was handcuffed, briefly taken to jail
- After the handcuffs were placed on Martha Menefield, the Valley, Alabama, woman says one of the officers leaned in and "kind of whispered" to her that she shouldn't cry. She had a biting response, per CBS42 : "How would you feel if they came and arrested your grandmama?"...
She Realized She Was a $110K
Lottery Winner. Then, 'Panic'
Apr 4, 2022 7:44 AM CDT
She Realized She Was a $110K Lottery Winner. Then, 'Panic'
Va.'s Mary Elliott had already thrown her ticket in the trash; luckily, she found it
- It's not clear why Mary Elliott threw away a lottery ticket before finding out whether she'd won, but what is clear is that she'll probably never prematurely toss such a ticket again. The woman from Buckingham County, Va., won $110,000 in her state's Cash 5...
Found in Dumpster
Dec 12, 2020 4:40 PM CST
$340K Painting Found in Dumpster
Work by French surrealist Yves Tanguy had gone missing
- A surrealist painting worth more than a quarter million dollars that was forgotten by a businessman at Duesseldorf's airport has been recovered from a nearby recycling dumpster, police said Thursday, per the AP . The businessman, whose identity was not given, accidentally left behind the painting by French surrealist Yves...
In Age of
Apr 13, 2020 9:10 AM CDT
In Age of Virus Lockdown, Garbage Day Gets Interesting
Aussie woman's Facebook page encouraging people to dress up while taking out trash is a hit
- Never say Australians don't know how to have a good time—even while self-quarantining and taking out the trash. Per CNN , a Queensland kindergarten teacher started a Facebook page two weeks ago documenting herself and her friends dressing up in wild outfits while dragging their garbage cans to the...
'Disgusting' New Trend
Can Sicken People, Wildlife
Apr 9, 2020 8:51 AM CDT
'Disgusting' New Trend Can Sicken People, Wildlife
People are littering the landscape with gloves, masks, and wipes used to fight coronavirus
- From California and Texas to New Hampshire and New York , there's a "new, disgusting trend" cropping up around the coronavirus, and it's a potentially dangerous one. The
and other outlets report on the "small pops of color" suddenly showing up in parking lots, by...
All That Ocean Plastic?
It Has an Unexpected Source
Oct 1, 2019 10:20 AM CDT
All That Ocean Plastic? It Has an Unexpected Source
It doesn't all come from land-based sources
- In 1984, 2009, and 2018, researchers made the trek to Inaccessible Island, which sits between Argentina and South Africa in the South Atlantic. They describe it as a "remote, uninhabited island ... that has a very high macrodebris load"—and that debris is what they were there for. In...
The City of Light
Has a Dirty Secret
Sep 22, 2019 5:20 PM CDT
The City of Light Has a Dirty Secret
Refuse of all kinds is piling up in Paris
- Paris has long been brimming with culture, romance, beauty—and, in recent years, too much trash. From Place de la République to the Trocadéro gardens, the city is full of homeless people, beer cans, wrappers, cigarette butts, abandoned bicycles and scooters, and (of course) dog poop, the
Trash Shipped to Philippines
in 2013 Leads to Threat of War
Apr 24, 2019 8:49 AM CDT
Trash Shipped to Philippines in 2013 Leads to Threat of War
Duterte is pretty peeved with Canada
- Canadian trash has been sitting at a port in the Philippines for more than five years, and President Rodrigo Duterte wants it gone—or else. Duterte's word choices tend to grab headlines , and this instance is no exception: "I'll give a warning to Canada maybe next week...
Tosses Out Some
Apr 8, 2019 10:30 AM CDT
Mark Zuckerberg Tosses Out Some Decent Trash
'Times' feature follows around a garbage picker, who finds a working vacuum cleaner, hair dryer
- Mark Zuckerberg insists he's pushing Facebook on a path toward greater privacy for users. And Business Insider notes that if Zuckerberg read the
New York Times
on Sunday, he got a real taste of what it feels like to have your privacy violated. There, in a feature on a...
China: No Permit, No Trip
to Everest Base Camp
Feb 15, 2019 12:00 PM CST
China: No Permit, No Trip to Everest Base Camp
Tourist ban aims to cut down on mountain trash
- China is making a move to help with the trash problem on Mount Everest. Bejing is closing the base camp on the Tibet side of the peak to everyone except those with climbing permits, reports the BBC . And China hands out only 300 of those permits a year. The Tibetan...
Plastic Bag Found in
Truly Depressing Spot
May 15, 2018 10:45 AM CDT
Plastic Bag Found in Truly Depressing Spot
Not even the bottom of the Mariana Trench is safe from our trash
- "Single-use plastic reached the world's deepest ocean trench at 10,898 m," states the study plainly, referring to that great scourge: the plastic bag.
reports that a review of the Deep-Sea Debris Database, an assemblage of photos and videos taken during roughly 5,000 dives...
US Grocery Stores Graded
on Food Waste, and
One Gets an 'F'
in case you missed it
Apr 21, 2018 2:40 PM CDT
US Grocery Stores Graded on Food Waste, and One Gets an 'F'
That would Be ALDI
- As the saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. It's apparently not an adage that America's grocery stores have taken to heart, at least according to a new report from the Center for Biological Diversity and the Ugly Fruit and Veg Campaign . They...
Mountain of Garbage
Collapses, Kills 17
Feb 19, 2018 5:58 PM CST
Mountain of Garbage Collapses, Kills 17
Search and rescue underway in capital of Mozambique
- Heavy rains triggered the partial collapse of a huge mound of garbage in Mozambique's capital on Monday, killing 17 people who were buried by debris. Authorities believe more bodies could be buried at the Hulene garbage dump on the outskirts of Maputo, per the AP . The garbage in the...
This Isn't a Landfill.
It's a Mediterranean Beach
Jan 23, 2018 1:23 PM CST
This Isn't a Landfill. It's a Mediterranean Beach
Lebanon's garbage crisis comes to a pungent head
- Lebanon's festering trash crisis came crashing ashore this week, after residents woke up to find a powerful winter storm had laid a mantle of waste at a beach near Beirut—a pile of cattle bones, footwear, tires, and vast amounts of plastic waste that reached more than 100 feet...
Hong Kong Is Almost
Jul 20, 2017 2:03 AM CDT
Hong Kong Is Almost Completely Trashed
City says its landfills will be totally full in next few years
- Hong Kong's 7.4 million denizens create a lot of trash—15,000 tons of garbage are disposed of every day. But at only 427 square miles, the city is quickly running out of space to put all that garbage. In a close look at a smelly subject, Motherboard...
Massive Mound of Garbage
Collapses, Killing 16
Apr 15, 2017 4:56 PM CDT
Massive Mound of Garbage Collapses, Killing 16
The homes of 625 people were destroyed or under threat in Sri Lanka
- At least 16 people were killed and more than 600 others fled their homes after a massive mound of garbage collapsed on part of a town outside of Sri Lanka's capital during festivities to mark the local new year, officials said Saturday. Four people were rescued from underneath the...
One 2-Ton Whale Was No
Match for 30 Plastic Bags
Feb 3, 2017 1:33 PM CST
One 2-Ton Whale Was No Match for 30 Plastic Bags
Bags, other waste found in stomach of euthanized whale in Norway
- Norwegian zoologists have found about 30 plastic bags and other plastic waste in the stomach of a beaked whale that had beached on a southwestern Norway coast, the AP reports. The visibly sick, 2-ton goose-beaked whale was euthanized, Terje Lislevand of Bergen University said Friday. "The [whale's] stomach...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Your Walking Speed Affects Health Benefits
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.