Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Sep 24, 2022 4:30 PM CDT
Christians, Not-So-Great News Coming
Pew finds Christianity on track to no longer be America's majority religion within decades
- Christianity is currently the majority religion in the United States, but it's not on track to stay that way. CBS News reports on a new study by Pew Research Center and the General Social Survey that examines various scenarios of religious "switching" over the next few decades, and...
on Hot Mic
Sep 22, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
S. Korean President Slams US Congress on Hot Mic
Remarks, which went viral, just the latest in 'a string of unforced errors' since Yoon Suk-yeol took office
- Tell us how you really feel, Yoon Suk-yeol. The
reports that the South Korean president had a "hot mic moment" on Wednesday, after he'd just left a brief meeting with US President Joe Biden. The two leaders, in New York City for the United Nations General...
This Is the Happiest
State in America
Sep 20, 2022 11:26 AM CDT
This Is the Happiest State in America
Hawaii tops WalletHub's list; West Virginia lands at the bottom
- Happiness is said to be a state of mind—but what state you're in could affect that state. WalletHub wanted to find out where people in the US are at their most content, especially in the wake of the worst of the pandemic and amid new stressors like inflation....
In Our Recreational
Choice, a Big First
Aug 30, 2022 10:24 AM CDT
In Our Recreational Substances of Choice, a Big First
11% of US adults tell Gallup they smoke cigarettes; pot smokers surpass that for first time, with 16%
- In the mid-1950s, nearly half of US adults copped to smoking cigarettes. After decades of PSAs and warnings from the medical community on the dangers of smoking, it's probably not surprising that that figure has plummeted to just 11%—and it's now been surpassed by Americans who say...
'Extreme Heat Belt'
Emerging in US
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Aug 20, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
'Extreme Heat Belt' Emerging in US
Nonprofit foundation projects more than 100M will be at risk by 2053
- A new study suggests the US is acquiring a new geographical "belt" in the coming decades, and it is very much an unwanted one. The report from the nonprofit First Street Foundation foresees the emergence of an "extreme heat belt" by 2053. The location of the belt, which...
China Fumes Over US'
Latest Move on Taiwan
Aug 18, 2022 10:25 AM CDT
China Fumes Over US' Latest Move on Taiwan
Country says it 'firmly opposes' formal trade talks
- The US government will hold trade talks with Taiwan in a sign of support for the island democracy that China claims as its own territory, prompting Beijing to warn Thursday it will take action if necessary to "safeguard its sovereignty." Chinese President Xi Jinping's government criticized the...
As US Dries Up in Drought,
Farmers' Hands Are Forced
Aug 18, 2022 8:57 AM CDT
As US Dries Up in Drought, Farmers' Hands Are Forced
America's farmers are having to kill off their own crops, sell cattle earlier than usual
- In 2021, nearly a quarter of America's farmers said they had to kill their own crops because drought conditions had made the environment so dry that the crops were never going to mature. Things haven't gotten any better since: This year, 37% of the nation's farmers say...
Three Friends Hit All 50
States in Five Days
Aug 16, 2022 11:28 AM CDT
Three Friends Hit All 50 States in Five Days
Austin trio claims the fastest time to date
- Three friends in Austin can boast that they've visited all 50 states—and they have their names in the record book to prove it. The trio of Peter McConville, Pavel (Pasha) Krechetov, and Abdullahi Salah started in Vermont on May 13 and ended in Hawaii exactly five days, 13...
Gas Is on the Path to
Less Than $3 per Gallon
Aug 16, 2022 11:05 AM CDT
Gas Is on the Path to Less Than $3 per Gallon
Though experts warn that's not a guarantee
- For 62 days straight, the average national price for a gallon of gas has fallen, reaching $3.96 on Monday. That's around a 21% drop—$1.06 per gallon—since the $5.02-a-gallon high reached on June 14, reports CNN Business . In nearly 30 states, a gallon now costs...
'Centaurus' Omicron Variant
Is Raising Concerns
Jul 13, 2022 6:43 AM CDT
'Centaurus' Omicron Variant Is Raising Concerns
India experiencing 'exponential increase' with BA.2.75
- Another super contagious omicron variant has been detected in the US. Dubbed "Centaurus," the BA.2.75 variant was first detected in India in early May and is now spreading rapidly there. "It's still really early on for us to draw too many conclusions" but "...
The City of Orlando's July 4
Message Didn't Land Well
Jul 5, 2022 7:33 AM CDT
The City of Orlando's July 4 Message Didn't Land Well
It's now apologizing for message acknowledging some might not feel like celebrating the holiday
- Orlando's Independence Day message was seemingly an attempt to commiserate with those unhappy and stressed over recent events in the news, but all it did was create a backlash that extended all the way to the Florida governor's office. The city newsletter that went out on Friday acknowledged...
On Russia's Latest
'Stop List': Biden's Family
Jun 28, 2022 9:15 AM CDT
On Russia's Latest 'Stop List': Biden's Family
First lady Jill Biden, president's daughter Ashley are banned from entering the country
- Russia on Tuesday announced it was banning the wife and daughter of President Biden from entering the country, in response to widening sanctions against Russia. The nation's Foreign Ministry said 25 names were being added to the country's "stop list," including Biden's wife Jill and...
Looks Like Assange
May Soon Be
Headed to US
Jun 17, 2022 7:33 AM CDT
Looks Like Assange May Soon Be Headed to US
UK home secretary gives the OK to extradite WikiLeaks founder; he has 14 days to appeal
- The final step in approving Julian Assange's extradition from the UK to the United States to face espionage charges has been taken. In April, a British judge gave the green light to move the WikiLeaks founder overseas, and on Friday, Priti Patel, Britain's home secretary, gave her OK...
Ukraine Will Get What
It's Been Asking For
Jun 1, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
Ukraine Will Get What It's Been Asking For
Biden confirmed the US will send advanced rocket systems
- The US will supply Ukraine with advanced rocket systems to "help it strike enemy forces more precisely from a longer distance," per the BBC. Ukrainian officials have been begging for longer-range weapons to counter Russian firepower, which has pummeled cities and Ukrainian military positions in the Donbas region...
US Plans to Welcome
100K Ukrainian Refugees
Mar 24, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
US Plans to Welcome 100K Ukrainian Refugees
Programs will focus on those with family already in the US
- More than 3.6 million people have fled Ukraine since the Russian invasion began a month ago, and the White House says the US will do its part to welcome refugees and assist those who remain in Europe. In a statement Thursday morning, the White House said the US is...
China Speaks Up
on Ukraine 'Situation'
Mar 7, 2022 10:30 AM CST
China Speaks Up on Ukraine 'Situation'
Beijing offers to mediate, continues policy of not faulting Russia over invasion of Ukraine
- In China's view, what's happening in Ukraine is neither a war nor an invasion but a complex "situation." That was the word used by Foreign Minister Wang Yi on Monday as he announced that Beijing was willing to mediate, reports Reuters . "Three feet of ice...
War With Ukraine Is
Putin's 'Revenge' Against US
Feb 24, 2022 4:01 PM CST
War With Ukraine Is Putin's 'Revenge' Against US
Stability in Europe rests on the actions of the US and its allies: experts
- He may have been launching war against Ukraine, but it was the West that Russian President Vladimir Putin seemed to have in his sights early Thursday. It was the West that created the "fundamental threats" to Russia that prompted military action, he said, per
. "All of the...
With Shocking Upset,
US Is Out of Men's Hockey
Feb 16, 2022 6:41 AM CST
With Shocking Upset, US Is Out of Men's Hockey
Team blanked in quarterfinal shootout with Slovakia, losing 3-2
- Minutes after failing to score in the shootout as the Americans' last chance to stay alive at the Olympics, captain Andy Miele took off his gloves to wipe the tears coming out of his eyes. "I'm just sad it's over," he said, per the AP . With...
In a First, Taliban Delegation
Is Heading to Europe
Jan 21, 2022 1:53 PM CST
In a First, Taliban Delegation Is Heading to Europe
Talks with the US are on the agenda
- A Taliban delegation will travel to Norway for talks with the Norwegian government and representatives from several allied countries, including the US, per the AP . The Norwegian Foreign Ministry said Friday that it has invited representatives of the Taliban to Oslo from Sunday to Tuesday to hold talks covering humanitarian...
US Hits a Staggering
New COVID Milestone
Jan 4, 2022 6:54 AM CST
US Hits a Staggering New COVID Milestone
On Monday, nation reported more than 1M new cases, a new daily record worldwide, by a lot
- Congress is right now grappling with a surge in COVID cases, driven in part by what Bloomberg calls a "tsunami" of the fast-spreading omicron variant. Yet it's becoming increasingly clear the struggle that US lawmakers are facing is simply a microcosm of the larger picture within the US—...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Trump Says McConnell Has 'Death Wish,' Insults His Wife
Ruling on Naomi Judd Death Probe Sees a 180
A $1.2B Ship Was Destroyed. Now, a Sailor Hears His Fate
One Take on Tagovailoa's Hit: 'How Are We So Stupid in 2022'
A Daughter Changes Her Mind About Zodiac Killer's Identity
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.