Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Outbreak Strands 80K Tourists
Aug 7, 2022 10:55 AM CDT
Outbreak Strands 80K Tourists
Chinese resort city reports 263 cases in a day, prompting lockdown
- All flights and trains out of the Chinese tropical resort city of Sanya have been canceled in response to a COVID-19 outbreak, stranding more than 80,000 tourists. A lockdown went into effect Saturday after 263 cases were confirmed, the BBC reports. Officials said tourists in Sanya, plus anyone who'...
China Looks to Hammer
US for Pelosi's Taiwan Visit
Aug 5, 2022 6:20 AM CDT
China Looks to Hammer US for Pelosi's Taiwan Visit
Chinese missiles land in Japanese waters
- China slapped unspecified sanctions on House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and her family Friday as retaliation for her visit to Taiwan. China's foreign ministry described her visit to the island as an "egregious provocation," CNBC reports. In a statement, the ministry said the visit "constitutes a gross...
China Encircles Taiwan
With Massive Military Drills
Aug 4, 2022 6:21 AM CDT
China Encircles Taiwan With Massive Military Drills
Tensions soar after Pelosi departs island
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has departed Taiwan —and China has launched what are believed to be its biggest-ever military drills around the island, which it has long vowed to reunify with the mainland, by force if necessary. For the first time since 1996, China has fired missiles into waters...
China Reacts With Fury
to Pelosi's Taiwan Visit
Aug 2, 2022 7:31 PM CDT
China Reacts With Fury to Pelosi's Taiwan Visit
Beijing summons US ambassador
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi became the highest-ranked American lawmaker to visit Taiwan in 25 years Tuesday—and China reacted exactly as expected. Beijing, which considers Taiwan its territory, slammed the move as a "serious violation" after Pelosi arrived in Taipei. The country's foreign ministry summoned Nicholas Burns, the...
Pelosi Explains Reason
for Her Taiwan Visit
Aug 2, 2022 12:18 PM CDT
Pelosi Explains Reason for Her Taiwan Visit
'America’s solidarity with Taiwan is more important today than ever'
- Just minutes after Nancy Pelosi touched down in Taiwan, a piece she wrote for the
went live. Titled "Why I'm leading a congressional delegation to Taiwan," Pelosi quite simply explains that very thing. Some key lines:
"In the face of the Chinese Communist Party’
Report: Nancy Pelosi Is
Going Ahead With Taiwan Trip
Aug 1, 2022 12:55 PM CDT
Report: Nancy Pelosi Is Going Ahead With Taiwan Trip
China has warned of 'serious consequences'
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's Asia trip has begun—and according to reports from CNN and the
Wall Street Journal
as well as Taiwanese media, it will include a stop in Taiwan. A source tells the
that people Pelosi plans to meet in Taiwan, including government officials, have been...
Pelosi Begins Asia Trip,
a Big Question Looming
Jul 31, 2022 8:15 AM CDT
Pelosi Begins Asia Trip, a Big Question Looming
Will she go to Taiwan? House speaker's itinerary makes no mention of a stop
- Nancy Pelosi begins a trip to Asia on Sunday, but the question on everyone's mind is still unanswered: Will she go to Taiwan? A statement issued by her office on Saturday lists stops in Singapore, Malaysia, South Korea, and Japan, but it has no mention of Taiwan, reports the...
Uncontrolled Chinese Rocket
Comes Down in Indian Ocean
Jul 30, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
Uncontrolled Chinese Rocket Comes Down in Indian Ocean
For the 3rd year in a row, Long March rocket body made uncontrolled reentry
: An uncontrolled Chinese rocket is back from space, after reentering the Earth's atmosphere over the Indian Ocean. US Space Command said it happened at 12:45pm EDT Saturday. The Chinese Manned Space Agency said most of the rocket debris burned up over the Sulu Sea, which is between...
China's Richest Woman
Is Rapidly Getting Poorer
Jul 29, 2022 1:15 PM CDT
China's Richest Woman Is Rapidly Getting Poorer
Yang Hiuyan's $23.7B fortune has more than halved amid real estate crisis
- With an estimated fortune of $11.3 billion, China's richest woman isn't exactly short on cash—but the country's real estate crisis has made Yang Huiyan a lot poorer than she was at the start of the year. Bloomberg reports that Yang had an estimated $23.7...
China Locks Down 1M in Wuhan
Jul 27, 2022 3:18 PM CDT
China Locks Down 1M in Wuhan
'Temporary control measures' brought in after 4 COVID cases detected
- A million people in the first city ever to experience a COVID lockdown have been locked down again. As part of China's zero COVID strategy, restrictions were imposed on Wuhan's Jiangxia district after routine testing detected two asymptomatic cases and contact tracing detected two more, the BBC reports....
in Case Pelosi
Does Go to
Jul 27, 2022 7:17 AM CDT
Pentagon Prepping in Case Pelosi Does Go to Taiwan
Trip isn't confirmed, but US military is developing plans for any contingency
- US officials say they have little fear that China would attack Nancy Pelosi’s plane if she flies to Taiwan. But the US House speaker would be entering one of the world’s hottest spots, where a mishap, misstep, or misunderstanding could endanger her safety. So the Pentagon is developing...
China Court to Single Woman:
You Can't Freeze Your Eggs
Jul 25, 2022 2:45 PM CDT
China Court to Single Woman: You Can't Freeze Your Eggs
The case was the first of its kind and drew widespread media coverage in China
- A Chinese court has overruled a rare legal challenge brought by an unmarried Beijing woman seeking the right to freeze her eggs. The Chaoyang Intermediate People's Court in Beijing ruled that the hospital did not violate the woman's rights in denying her access to freeze her eggs, per...
Wary of Pelosi's
Jul 25, 2022 11:30 AM CDT
Both China, White House Wary of Pelosi's Travel Plans
House speaker reportedly will visit Taiwan soon
- Unconfirmed reports that Nancy Pelosi is planning a trip to Taiwan have most definitely caught the attention of China. Authorities in Beijing are making clear through private and public channels they would view such a trip as a provocation, one that would trigger a strong response. However, what "strong"...
Apologize for COVID Break-ins
Jul 19, 2022 5:00 PM CDT
Chinese Authorities Apologize for COVID Break-ins
Authorities broke into homes to disinfect them after residents sent to quarantine
- Authorities in southern China apologized for breaking into the homes of people quarantined with suspected COVID-19 cases in the latest example of heavy-handed measures that have sparked a rare public backlash. The state-run
reported Tuesday that 84 homes of people sent into isolation in Guangzhou city’s Liwan...
Key to Cracking
Jul 17, 2022 7:10 AM CDT
Key to Cracking Burglary Case: Two Squashed Mosquitoes
Police in China make a DNA match in blood analysis
- Police in China say two mosquitoes helped them crack a burglary case in Fujian province. As the
South China Morning Post
explains, authorities in Fuzhou spotted two squashed mosquitoes on the wall of an apartment that had been burglarized. They tested the blood and found a DNA match for a...
Big Shifts Are Close
for World's Population
Jul 11, 2022 8:31 AM CDT
Big Shifts Are Close for World's Population
UN projects we'll hit 8B in months, with India on track to overtake China as No. 1 next year
- A new UN report on Monday—aka World Population Day—sees some major milestones on the horizon, including a pending shift for the title of most populous nation. Some of the nuggets highlighted, including in coverage at Quartz and the Hindu :
The world's population is expected to reach
This Might Be the Biggest
Data Breach in History
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jul 9, 2022 12:15 PM CDT
This Might Be the Biggest Data Breach in History
Hackers claim they have records of 1B Chinese people, taken from a Shanghai police database
- Hackers claim to have obtained a trove of data on 1 billion Chinese people from a Shanghai police database in a leak that, if confirmed, could be one of the largest data breaches in history. In a post on the online hacking forum Breach Forums last week, someone using the...
Consumers Freak Over
Fancy, Non-Melting Ice Cream
Jul 8, 2022 12:39 PM CDT
Consumers Freak Over Fancy, Non-Melting Ice Cream
Foodies in China want to know why even fire won't make a dent in Zhong Xue Gao product
- We already know about fast-food items that don't spoil for decades , but ice cream that doesn't melt adds a new wrinkle to the conversation on what we put in food to preserve it. That's the current topic of discussion in China, where consumers are demanding to know...
China Slams America's
'Dirty Record' in Space
Jul 5, 2022 2:50 PM CDT
China Slams America's 'Dirty Record' in Space
Officials reject NASA chief's accusation that China is trying to take over the moon
- China has angrily fired back at NASA Administrator Bill Nelson's criticism of its space program, denying that it is planning to take over the moon. In an interview with Germany's
newspaper published Saturday, Nelson said, "We must be very concerned about China landing on the moon...
China Causes a Fuss With
Deleted Report on Aliens
Jun 16, 2022 6:15 PM CDT
China Causes a Fuss With Deleted Report on Aliens
State media reported scientists detected some unusual signals, but US scientist throws cold water on UFO theory
- Does China have evidence of alien life? Don't bet on it, but that's the unusual question in play after a state-run news site reported, then deleted a story claiming scientists with access to the world's largest and most sensitive radio telescope had uncovered possible signals from alien...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Anne Heche in Worse Condition Than Last Reported
After Trump Raid, Republicans Call to Investigate, Defund FBI
Rare Diagnosis 'Knocked Out' Ashton Kutcher's Vision, Hearing
Race Car Driver Has Surprising Confession About Real-World Driving
Democrats Turn 'Brandon' Meme Around to Praise Biden
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.