Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Sep 20, 2023 8:21 AM CDT
LAPD Honcho Accused of Stalking Officer With AirTag
Al Labrada, assistant chief in department, on leave after allegations of tracking officer with Apple AirTag
- A top-level official with the LAPD who's been there for three decades is now on administrative leave after allegations of stalking a co-worker. Per the
Los Angeles Times
, Chief Michel Moore made the announcement about Al Labrada, one of his three assistant chiefs, during a Tuesday gathering of the...
Marilyn Monroe's Former Home
Under Threat of Demolition
Sep 12, 2023 8:27 AM CDT
Marilyn Monroe's Former Home Under Threat of Demolition
Los Angeles officials considering landmark status for home in which the star died in 1962
- Los Angeles officials have intervened to prevent demolition of the only home Marilyn Monroe ever owned independently, which is also the one in which she died. City residents responded with outrage after the owners of 12305 Fifth Helena Drive applied for permits to demolish the Spanish colonial-style home in which...
Convicted Actor Under
Full-Time Cell Surveillance
Sep 8, 2023 4:55 PM CDT
Convicted Actor Under Full-Time Cell Surveillance
Deputies are watching for indications of mental distress in Danny Masterson
- Jail officials in Los Angeles have Danny Masterson, a onetime actor on a hit TV show who was sentenced Thursday to 30 years to life for committing two rapes, under full-time video surveillance in his cell. Deputies also go to Masterson's cell on the half-hour to check on him,...
Union to Taylor Swift:
Please Postpone LA Shows
Aug 3, 2023 10:20 AM CDT
Union to Taylor Swift: Please Postpone LA Shows
Singer urged to show solidarity with striking hotel workers
- Taylor Swift is concluding the US leg of her earthshaking Eras Tour with six sold-out shows near Los Angeles starting Thursday night, but union officials and politicians have urged her to postpone them in solidarity with striking hospitality workers. In an open letter asking the singer to "Speak Now"...
LA's Newest Discovery
Is Blind, Has 486 Legs
Jul 31, 2023 9:20 AM CDT
LA's Newest Discovery Is Blind, Has 486 Legs
Meet the Los Angeles thread millipede, found near a Starbucks and a freeway
- The City of Angels, a metropolis of freeways and traffic, has a newly discovered species named in its honor: the Los Angeles thread millipede. The tiny arthropod was found just underground by naturalists at a Southern California hiking area—near a freeway, a Starbucks, and an Oakley sunglasses store. About...
May Do 50 Hours
Service at FDNY
Jul 25, 2023 7:27 AM CDT
Pete Davidson May Do 50 Hours of Community Service at FDNY
Comedian's father was firefighter who died on 9/11
- Pete Davidson will avoid jail after crashing his car into a house in March and will instead have to perform 50 hours of community service, reports TMZ . One notable twist about that: He could put in those hours at the New York City Fire Department, where his dad was a...
Suspected Random Shooters
Caught in NYC, Los Angeles
Jul 9, 2023 8:00 AM CDT
Suspected Random Shooters Caught in NYC, Los Angeles
In New York, a gunman on a scooter killed one and wounded 3
- A gunman rode around New York City on a motor scooter randomly firing at people over a stretch of two hours on Saturday, say police. An 87-year-old man was killed and three other men were wounded in the shootings in Queens and Brooklyn, reports the
New York Times
. Police have...
Footage Shows Deputy
Throwing Woman to Ground
Jul 6, 2023 12:12 PM CDT
Footage Shows Deputy Throwing Woman to Ground
LA County Sheriff's Department is investigating whether excessive force was used in store lot
- The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department is investigating an incident last month in which a woman is seen on video being hurled to the ground by a deputy outside a local grocery store. The
Los Angeles Times
reports that the incident took place June 24, in the parking lot...
Family Finds Small
Fortune in Late
All in Pennies
Jun 10, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
Family Finds Small Fortune in Late Man's Home, All in Pennies
And the 1 million coins are worth more than $10K—they're made of pure copper
- For years, California real estate agent John Reyes, his wife, and members of her extended family have been slowly (as their schedules allow) cleaning out the home of her late father, Fritz, located in the Pico-Union neighborhood of Los Angeles. One find in particular, however, in the deceased German immigrant'...
These US Cities Are
a Runner's Paradise
Jun 3, 2023 8:00 AM CDT
These US Cities Are a Runner's Paradise
Relative to the other cities in Lawn Love's latest fitness ranking; San Francisco tops the list
- Next Wednesday is Global Running Day, and some cities are more amenable than others if you're in training to be the next Jackie Joyner-Kersee or Usain Bolt—or even if you just like hitting the pavement to burn off some stress and stay fit. Lawn Love scouted the 200...
Check Out the $61M Digs
J.Lo, Ben Affleck Just Bought
Jun 1, 2023 5:56 AM CDT
Check Out the $61M Digs J.Lo, Ben Affleck Just Bought
Couple splurges for 12-bedroom, 24-bathroom (yes, 24) home in Beverly Hills
- When nature calls, it's good to know your new home has 24 bathrooms to choose from. We're not sure if that feature is what ultimately sold Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck on their new $61 million mansion, but it's the one the
homes in on...
Cops: Teen's Quest for
Social Media Post Kills Him
May 25, 2023 12:50 AM CDT
Cops: Teen's Quest for Social Media Post Kills Him
It happened early Saturday on Los Angeles' 6th Street Viaduct
- A 17-year-old boy fell to his death this weekend while climbing a Los Angeles bridge in an apparent social media stunt, police said. Police were sent to the 6th Street Viaduct around 2am Saturday and found the boy, who was pronounced dead at a hospital. His name wasn't immediately...
A Fateful Dinner in 1965 Led
to a Food Revolution in US
May 14, 2023 1:50 PM CDT
A Fateful Dinner in 1965 Led to a Food Revolution in US
'Los Angeles Times' explains how Noritoshi Kanai and Harry Wolff Jr. popularized sushi
- If you've ever been to a sushi bar or even tasted the Japanese dish, the credit might belong to two men described by Daniel Miller in the
Los Angeles Times
as the "ultimate odd couple." Harry Wolff Jr. was "an imposing Jewish man who’d cut...
Guy Missed Flight, Called in
a Bomb Threat: Cops
May 5, 2023 7:24 AM CDT
Guy Missed Flight, Called in a Bomb Threat: Cops
JetBlue aircraft eventually landed, was evacuated at LAX
- Passengers on a flight out of Las Vegas didn't have the most normal of arrivals on Thursday afternoon after touching down at Los Angeles International Airport. A JetBlue plane that landed around 2pm local time was kept isolated on the tarmac for upward of an hour, police and firefighters...
LA Radio Tower
Apr 26, 2023 7:27 AM CDT
Man Scales LA Radio Tower With Message About Singer
No one's sure why the guy had a 'Free Billie Eilish' sign; he now faces trespassing charges
- A guy with a message about one of America's biggest pop stars scaled the KTLA radio tower in Hollywood on Tuesday, though no one's really sure what that message meant, or what he was trying to accomplish. KTLA reports that soon after 6:30pm, calls started coming in...
Puppy in Designer
Handbag Thrown From
Car During Police Chase
Apr 10, 2023 3:00 AM CDT
Puppy in Designer Handbag Thrown From Car During Police Chase
And survives the ordeal
- As Los Angeles police officers chased a carjacking suspect Friday, a puppy that had been placed in a designer bag was suddenly tossed from the car window—and somehow survived the ordeal. Officers started chasing a Chevy Avalanche around noon; the driver was wanted in connection with a March 26...
Was Quite a Marriage
Proposal on the Baseball Field
Mar 31, 2023 12:00 PM CDT
Was Quite a Marriage Proposal on the Baseball Field
Ricardo Juarez gets tackled by security during romantic gesture at Dodger Stadium
- A Los Angeles Dodgers fan tried to propose to his girlfriend at a baseball game, but ended up getting tackled like he was at a football game. TMZ Sports reports that it all went down during Thursday night's matchup at Dodger Stadium against the Arizona Diamondbacks, when a man...
LA Schools, Strikers
Agree on Raises
Mar 25, 2023 4:30 PM CDT
LA Schools, Strikers Agree on Raises
Mayor, district, union agree larger issue is financial struggles of working families
- After a strike closed schools for three days, the Los Angeles Unified School District and the union representing support staff employees reached an agreement on pay raises, ending a labor dispute that all sides said was about the larger financial struggles of working-class families. Mayor Karen Bass brokered the deal,...
LA Group Posts Names,
Photos of Undercover Officers
Mar 23, 2023 7:05 PM CDT
LA Group Posts Names, Photos of Undercover Officers
Department inadvertently turned over information on undercover police
- The Los Angeles police chief and the department's constitutional policing director are under investigation after the names and photographs of undercover officers were released to a technology watchdog group that posted them online. LAPD Chief Michel Moore offered his "deep apologies" to the undercover officers, who were not...
at LA Schools
Mar 21, 2023 1:10 PM CDT
Lowest-Paid Workers Strike at LA Schools
More than 400K students are locked out
- More than 60,000 employees went on strike Tuesday in Los Angeles, forcing public schools to turn away 422,000 students after nearly yearlong contract negotiations stalled. The Los Angeles Unified School District stoppage could last three days,
reports. The action is being led by Local 99 of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
Judge Rules Trump Committed Fraud
3 Boys 'Paid the Ultimate Price' for Mom's Addiction
Young Baltimore Tech CEO Allegedly Killed by Violent Repeat Offender
We Have a Date for Mass Extinction of Mammals
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.