Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
In This City, an App Keeps
Beach Harassers at Bay
Sep 5, 2023 10:55 AM CDT
In This City, an App Keeps Beach Harassers at Bay
Safer Plage app sends mediators to contend with obnoxious beachgoers in Marseille, France
- Women in one French resort community are sick of being harassed while getting some rays on the beach—and now, there's an app to help them fend off such harassment.
reports that the Safer Plage (Safer Beach) app has been downloaded more than 1,300 times since...
Madrid Events Fight
May 8, 2023 7:15 PM CDT
Madrid Events Fight Sexism Complaints
Female athletes receive smaller cake, a congratulatory food processor
- Organizers of sporting events in Spain are playing defense after facing allegations of sexism. Most of the attention focused on complaints about men and women being treated unequally at the Madrid Open, but a women's race held Sunday—Mother's Day in Spain—also had to backtrack. The issues...
Radio Host Says Ethnic Slur
Wasn't What He Meant
Mar 23, 2023 1:24 PM CDT
Radio Host Says Ethnic Slur Wasn't What He Meant
WEEI's Chris Curtis disciplined after reference to ESPN's Mina Kimes, who is of Korean descent
- A radio host in Boston has apologized for an on-air joke viewed as racist, though in his defense, WEEI's Chris Curtis claims it wasn't racist but sexist. Hosts of WEEI's
The Greg Hill Show
were discussing a city proposal to ban miniature liquor bottles known as nips...
Remarks on Haley
Feb 17, 2023 12:34 PM CST
CNN CEO Slams Lemon: Remarks on Haley 'Unacceptable'
Chris Licht said he was 'disappointed' in anchor for saying on air that Haley wasn't in her 'prime'
- A self-admitted "inartful" comment made by CNN host Don Lemon about GOP presidential candidate Nikki Haley—a remark that's widely being called sexist by many others—has now earned an official rebuke from his boss. On Friday, the cable news network's CEO, Chris Licht, kicked off his...
Don Lemon Regrets Comments
on Women 'in Their Prime'
Feb 16, 2023 3:18 PM CST
Don Lemon Regrets Comments on Women 'in Their Prime'
Critics called his assessment of Nikki Haley sexist
- When Nikki Haley announced her presidential candidacy on Tuesday, she called for requiring politicians over age 75 to take mental competency tests. On CNN Thursday, host Don Lemon objected to what he considered Haley's premise, the Hill reports. "This whole talk about age makes me uncomfortable," he...
Female Lawmakers in Missouri
Told: Keep Those Arms Covered
Jan 14, 2023 10:45 AM CST
Female Lawmakers in Missouri Told: Keep Those Arms Covered
Fiery debate ensues before update to dress code in Missouri House of Representatives
- Women make up fewer than one-third of the seats in Missouri's House, per the
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
, but they were the ones speaking the loudest this week after the chamber's dress code was tweaked to mandate how female lawmakers should cover their arms while at work. The Hill...
Comments About Women
Cost Chess Analyst His Job
Sep 28, 2022 7:05 PM CDT
Comments About Women Cost Chess Analyst His Job
Ilya Smirin said in live broadcast of tournament that a competitor was 'playing like a man'
- Ilya Smirin didn't last a full day as a chess commentator. The Israeli grandmaster was making his broadcasting debut, live, on Tuesday at the Women's Grand Prix in Astana, Kazakhstan, when he expressed doubts about women's ability to compete. In discussing one competitor's play, the English-language...
Sexist Joke Leads to Staff
Jun 7, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
Sexist Joke Leads to Staff Turmoil at
Journalist Dave Weigel has been suspended for a retweet, and colleagues are now fighting about it all
- A blowup among staffers at the
has ended up going very public, leading to apparent disciplinary measures for journalist Dave Weigel. Sources tell CNN Business that Weigel has been suspended for a month without pay after he retweeted a sexist joke from YouTuber Cam Harless, who
Heckling Mayor Wu.
Except It Wasn't Her
Feb 19, 2022 7:00 AM CST
Protester Kept Heckling Mayor Wu. Except It Wasn't Her
Protester was actually mistakenly jeering at a different Asian American woman
- A voting rights presser on the Boston Common this week drew not only locals rallying support for get-out-the-vote efforts, but also one man who really wanted to criticize Mayor Michelle Wu. MassLive.com reports the protester, decked out in a mask and sunglasses, showed up at the Monday news conference...
Senators Go to Bat for Sinema
Nov 20, 2021 8:30 AM CST
Senators Go to Bat for Sinema Over 'Sexist'
Susan Collins, Lisa Murkowski, Jeanne Shaheen slam paper for focusing on Ariz. senator's clothes
- Kyrsten Sinema has become known for her "penchant for patterns and bold colors" in a Senate chamber that's "still largely buttoned up," as the Hill puts it. That's a problem, though—not the Arizona senator's choice of clothing, but the plethora of headlines about...
to Correct Slight
to Female Justices
Oct 14, 2021 7:05 PM CDT
Supreme Court Changes Format to Correct Slight to Female Justices
They were being interrupted more than their male colleagues
- The Supreme Court is only days into its new term, but there's already been a marked change. As CNN reports, "even in contentious cases, the justices haven't cut each other off—something that often occurred in past terms." That's the result of a change to...
Blue Origin Staff
Oct 1, 2021 6:44 AM CDT
Current, Former Blue Origin Staff Pen Scathing Essay
Former comms chief says Jeff Bezos' company ignores safety concerns
- "Blue Origin's culture sits on a foundation that ignores the plight of our planet, turns a blind eye to sexism, is not sufficiently attuned to safety concerns, and silences those who seek to correct wrongs." So claim 21 current and former employees of Jeff Bezos' spaceflight company...
Elizabeth Holmes Trial Proves
Boys' Club Is Alive and Well
Sep 16, 2021 4:50 PM CDT
Elizabeth Holmes Trial Proves Boys' Club Is Alive and Well
Ellen Pao wonders why male tech execs accused of fraud aren't held to same standard
- Ellen Pao thinks Elizabeth Holmes should be held accountable for her actions as CEO of the not-quite-what-it-appeared Theranos blood-testing company. But in an essay at the
New York Times
, Pao writes that something else is true in regard to Holmes' ongoing trial: It "can be sexist to hold her...
Game Developer Was Attacked
Mercilessly, Turns Merciful
Aug 6, 2021 8:49 AM CDT
Game Developer Was Attacked Mercilessly, Turns Merciful
Brianna Wu, a prime target of GamerGate, speaks out about forgiveness
- As a female game developer who spoke out publicly against sexism in the industry a few years back, Brianna Wu received torrents—and we mean torrents—of threats and abuse online. Now the
reports that Wu is forcing a different kind of conversation, one about forgiving the trolls...
TCM Is 'Reframing' These
18 'Troubling' Classic Films
Mar 5, 2021 8:33 AM CST
TCM Is 'Reframing' These 18 'Troubling' Classic Films
Network to reexamine films like 'Psycho,' 'Gunga Din' with new historical, cultural context
- As cries of "cancel culture" swirl around changes within the Dr. Seuss and Potato Head spheres, Turner Classic Movies is now reexamining a portfolio of timeless films that it says contain "troubling and problematic" aspects. The
Los Angeles Times
reports that throughout March, the network will screen 18...
Japan's Ruling Party:
Women Can Look, But
Not Talk, at Meetings
Feb 18, 2021 12:43 AM CST
Japan's Ruling Party: Women Can Look, But Not Talk, at Meetings
Attempt to address sexism backfires
- Japan's ruling Liberal Democratic Party has proposed allowing more women to attend its male-dominated meetings—but it doesn't want them to say anything. Toshihiro Nikai, the party's 82-year-old secretary general, said this week that five female lawmakers should be invited to observe the meetings in order to...
Feb 11, 2021 7:42 AM CST
Another Blow to Troubled Tokyo Olympics
Olympics chief Yoshiro Mori expected to resign over sexist remarks
- The chief of the postponed Tokyo Olympics is apparently feeling the pressure, because after refusing to resign for sexist comments he made on Feb. 3, he's now expected to call it quits. Former Japanese prime minister Yoshiro Mori, 83, is expected to resign during a Friday meeting of the...
Step Down After
Feb 4, 2021 8:55 AM CST
Tokyo Olympics Chief Won't Step Down After Sexist Remarks
Yoshiro Mori apologized for saying meetings with too many women 'drag on,' but he won't resign
- Anyone upset by sexist remarks made earlier this week by the head of the organizing committee for the Tokyo Olympics might be glad to know he's now apologizing—but don't expect much more than that. "I will not be stepping down," former Japanese Prime Minister Yoshiro...
Actress 'Couldn't Believe' the
Review She Got. It Wasn't Good
Jan 28, 2021 12:38 PM CST
Actress 'Couldn't Believe' the Review She Got. It Wasn't Good
Carey Mulligan speaks out against 'Variety' film review criticizing her looks
- Carey Mulligan was participating in a video series for
this week when she took the opportunity to call out the magazine itself. The actress suggested a review of her new movie,
Promising Young Woman
, published as the film premiered at the Sundance Film Festival a year ago, was evidence...
Does He Live In?
Jan 15, 2021 1:15 PM CST
Filipinas After Duterte Remarks: 'Which Cave' Does He Live In?
Leader of the Philippines says the presidency 'is not for women' amid rumors of a run by his daughter
- Women in the Philippines aren't terribly happy with their president after remarks made on the possibility of a female leader one day taking his place. In short, Rodrigo Duterte doesn't think it's a good idea, and Filipinas are calling him out on sexism and misogyny for saying...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Researchers May Have Cracked a Cancer Enigma
Nikki Haley Just Scored a Major Endorsement
Angry Elephants Damage Car That Hit a Calf
Cops Chasing Stolen Forklift Find Surprise Driver
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.